Default Re: **Dickinson Gators Official Thread**

I'll go with:

Creek
    LaMarque

Gators 31
    Bwood 17

G.A.T.A.

If Creek,Dickinson,Springs,and Pearland make the playoffs then Springs will go with Pearland to division one.

Go Oilers !!!!

A lot of people are excited about the football team, we have band members even talking about maybe adding a "theme" for our defense and our offense which would require extra work on their part because they are so busy with uil work, but some boys from the band said they are trying to work on some stuff. Also I believe they will try to start a spirit squad to get the crowd involved. How can we pack it out every night at the swamp?
    G.A .T.A IS BACK!!!!!!! Swamp City is back in full effect!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mossad View Post
    A lot of people are excited about the football team, we have band members even talking about maybe adding a "theme" for our defense and our offense which would require extra work on their part because they are so busy with uil work, but some boys from the band said they are trying to work on some stuff. Also I believe they will try to start a spirit squad to get the crowd involved. How can we pack it out every night at the swamp?
    I think it would be cool for the parents and fans to go out to the filed as they walk in and fire them up, they could form two lines and have the Gators run though something like what the Katy fans do, that would make the fans and the players get into the game even more. I think we already pack it up every game we just need to get louder and I think the band can get that started
    G.A.T.A GATORS!!
    If you ain't a Gator, you're Gator Bait!

Quote Originally Posted by GATA93 View Post
    I think it would be cool for the parents and fans to go out to the filed as they walk in and fire them up, they could form two lines and have the Gators run though something like what the Katy fans do, that would make the fans and the players get into the game even more. I think we already pack it up every game we just need to get louder and I think the band can get that started
    It would have to get approved by Trahan which I think wont happen. WOuld be nice though. I hope the play calling and depth chart is the same for this game, jermaine and tyrell in the backfield, switching it up with bunton. Would be nice if Jashaud can be on offense too, we shall see, cant afford too many 3 and outs with Bwood. I think they plan on embarassing us but i dont think it will happen...GATA...Fans, if you havent seen the 7th grade A play............smh.....THE BEST GROUP TO COME THRU DICKINSON!

All-State

The Clear Springs Football Booster Club has a spirit club for elementary kids that feed in to the high school. The spirit club members get to wear a special tee shirt and run through the tunnel ahead of the team and form two lines with the cheerleaders for the team to run though at the start of the game.

The club serves several purposes, including attracting more families to the games, and getting a head start on generating interest for future football players, band and dance team members, and cheerleaders. My eight year old daughter already looks forward to becoming a cheerleader someday while my three year old son wants to play in the Charger Band. All of the additional families increase gate and concession revenue. It will be years before my kids are Chargers, but Charger football has become a family tradition for us.

The Dickinson booster club could start building the next generation of Gators and bring in a more families by involving elementary kids in the program. The kids bring parents and the parents bring money for cheesy nachos.

Safe travels to Brazoswood!

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSpringsFan View Post
    The Clear Springs Football Booster Club has a spirit club for elementary kids that feed in to the high school. The spirit club members get to wear a special tee shirt and run through the tunnel ahead of the team and form two lines with the cheerleaders for the team to run though at the start of the game.

The club serves several purposes, including attracting more families to the games, and getting a head start on generating interest for future football players, band and dance team members, and cheerleaders. My eight year old daughter already looks forward to becoming a cheerleader someday while my three year old son wants to play in the Charger Band. All of the additional families increase gate and concession revenue. It will be years before my kids are Chargers, but Charger football has become a family tradition for us.

The Dickinson booster club could start building the next generation of Gators and bring in a more families by involving elementary kids in the program. The kids bring parents and the parents bring money for cheesy nachos.

Safe travels to Brazoswood!
    This is good info, does anyone have a facebook we can use to post this, spring is a new school and they have a spirit club thru elementary, we need the same, morale needs to be boost big time. Thanks clearspringsfan that is very good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Gator4ever View Post
    Talking in person to some fella's in LaMarque it's a point of fact and opinion that if you wanna play football in a good situation then you go to Dickinson. Was never like this in the past but with the new stuff and all it seems to have changed things.
    From the horses mouth in LaMarque it's gonna be some new players.

G.A.T.A, I have heard that from other people as well, I was used to losing players to other schools in the past but it looks like things are changing in Gatorland
    G.A.T.A GATORS!!

Quote Originally Posted by mossad View Post
    It would have to get approved by Trahan which I think wont happen. WOuld be nice though. I hope the play calling and depth chart is the same for this game, jermaine and tyrell in the backfield, switching it up with bunton. Would be nice if Jashaud can be on offense too, we shall see, cant afford too many 3 and outs with Bwood. I think they plan on embarassing us but i dont think it will happen...GATA...Fans, if you havent seen the 7th grade A play............smh.....THE BEST GROUP TO COME THRU DICKINSON!

I have only seen clips on youtube and they look big from what I have seen, how is the 8th looking
    G.A.T.A GATORS!!

ClearSpringsFan,

Good luck to your team this week and try to set up for the playoffs.

Default Q

Hard to imagine Galveston,LM and, TC as being the smaller schools after all those years as the larger schools as compared to Dickinson. Texas City has 1600 students and LaMarque has 989 or so. Those two schools combined would make a Clear Springs population now.

The players seem to be getting smaller these days on TC and LaMarque but that is normal I suppose? The bacfield of TC comes in at an average of 145-150 and the QB is maybe 150.

Dickinson is bigger at many positions but our RB's are not giants.

I look for LM and TC to forrm a Unified School District someday and come into 5A. Galveston should be back to 5A soon but only at maybe 2500 or so.

Default Re: Q

Hard to imagine Galveston,LM and, TC as being the smaller schools after all those years as the larger schools as compared to Dickinson. Texas City has 1600 students and LaMarque has 989 or so. Those two schools combined would make a Clear Springs population now.

The players seem to be getting smaller these days on TC and LaMarque but that is normal I suppose? The bacfield of TC comes in at an average of 145-150 and the QB is maybe 150.

Dickinson is bigger at many positions but our RB's are not giants.

I look for LM and TC to forrm a Unified School District someday and come into 5A. Galveston should be back to 5A soon but only at maybe 2500 or so.
    Times have changed, when I was in High School at DHS we only had like 1400 students now we are over 2500 I think.
    G.A.T.A GATORS!!

All-District

I am sticking with my original picks; Sante Fe will not beat LM..

Kjube,

Got it.

Good Luck !!!

Watched the JV game tonight and saw the result I'd figured in that Bwood had a solid team. Unlike Dickinson we have moved up 3-5 players and held down some players at the Freshman level.

We were losing 21-14 with a few seconds remaining but penalties got us on a few drives and Bwood used the "LULL" effect that they will use tommorow night.

Okay so what I see is the predictable Bwood on Friday night and that's good and bad. I am thinking that they want to "SMASH" us for some reason and show us who is the boss...lol. They are bold and that's fair and good and I respect that.

Problem for them will be that we are in it to win it and we are coming to their house to burn it down...lol. " The house...The house...The house is on fire....We don't need no turnovers let the MF burn....lol".

Watched the JV game tonight and saw the result I'd figured in that Bwood had a solid team. Unlike Dickinson we have moved up 3-5 players and held down some players at the Freshman level.

We were losing 21-14 with a few seconds remaining but penalties got us on a few drives and Bwood used the "LULL" effect that they will use tommorow night.

Okay so what I see is the predictable Bwood on Friday night and that's good and bad. I am thinking that they want to "SMASH" us for some reason and show us who is the boss...lol. They are bold and that's fair and good and I respect that.

Problem for them will be that we are in it to win it and we are coming to their house to burn it down...lol. " The house...The house...The house is on fire....We don't need no turnovers let the MF burn....lol".
    Gator

LOL, tomorrow night is gonna be ON, we will be the most athletic defense B Wood has seen this year but at the same time they will be the most balanced team we have seen this year. This game is huge for us and a win at B Wood would setup a mega showdown with the Oilers next week! G.A.T.A
    G.A.T.A GATORS!!

A friend of mine told me that the Gator freshman team dominated B Wood today but our players were getting lots of racist remarks, Its 2010 that negative stuff should not be tolerated G.A.T.A
    G.A.T.A GATORS!!

A friend of mine told me that the Gator freshman team dominated B Wood today but our players were getting lots of racist remarks, Its 2010 that negative stuff should not be tolerated G.A.T.A
    Call us whatever they want but get to know the name G.A.T.A

Football program requires work at all levels (our coach needs to read this)

By Evan Mohl
    The Daily News

For a few days last April, La Marque coach Darrell Jordan took spring football on the road.

Instead of spending the afternoon behind the high school, where all the equipment is located and players feel most comfortable, the Cougars loaded the bus and traveled a couple miles to La Marque Middle School.

The team practiced for two hours in front of seventh- and eighth-graders — most of whom won’t take the field on Friday nights for four years — and worked with middle school coaches who won’t call a single varsity play.

The trip, brief and seemingly strange, is significant. It’s one of the primary ways Jordan builds the La Marque football program.

The practice gives the middle school students the opportunity to see up close the hard work and dedication it takes to become a star on Friday nights. It serves as a reminder of the high expectations to the high school players, and the middle school coaches get a chance to learn the plays and the Cougars system — what they’ll be teaching in the fall to future La Marque High School players.

“It all starts at the bottom,” Jordan said. “What these kids learn and see now is how they come to the high school. If we get kids and coaches on the same page in middle school, by the time they get to the high school, we’re fine-tuning. That’s a huge advantage.”

In other words, the middle schools, the freshmen and junior varsity matter. They’re the future, the ones who will take stewardship of a program. The skills and lessons they learn now eventually determine wins and losses on Friday nights — the ultimate measuring stick for any coach.

It’s why Jordan schedules a trip to the middle school. It’s why teams often are called programs, because they encompass and require far more than X’s and O’s for a single team. Coaches must cultivate and build at the lower levels to create success at the top.

“We want the middle schools doing as much of the same stuff as we do,” Santa Fe coach Jay Buckner said. “We want continuity in terms of plays, expectations, terminology and work ethic.”

Expectations

When the high school football season ends in December, Santa Fe defensive coordinator Carl Matejka travels to Santa Fe Middle School. He makes the trek about three times a week.

Matejka works with the middle school coaches on training. He installs many of the same workouts the varsity team uses — from weight lifting to sprints to gassers.

The exercises create consistency and give the future Indians a leg up on building strength. Most importantly, the workouts set the expectation and importance of offseason training, which is a big part of Santa Fe football.

The Indians coaching staff knows Santa Fe might not always be blessed with the best athletes in the world. Hard work and physicality, however, can overcome the lack of athleticism.

The Indians place a huge emphasis on offseason workouts so players can spend time bulking up and getting stronger. Matejka’s frequent visits to the middle school extend the expectation from seniors to seventh-graders.

“It starts in the weight room during offseason for us,” Matejka said. “The earlier kids learn that and expect it, the better. That’s how we’re going to compete and win. By being stronger, by being more physical.”

Familiarity

Matejka also visits the middle schools during football season. He can’t make it as often, but he goes about once a week and even attends most of the home games.

Matejka’s presence creates familiarity between coach and player. Coaches can figure out the strengths and weaknesses of their future athletes, while the players get to know their leaders.

Santa Fe linebacker Kagen Rose believes that’s vital. Rose actually experienced the opposite his freshman year of high school, when Santa Fe had a different coach.

“It wasn’t fun; it was actually pretty hard,” Rose said. “I guess we weren’t on the same page, and we didn’t understand each other. It wasn’t a good situation.”

Under Matejka and Buckner, who Rose got to know as a basketball coach in seventh grade, it’s a different situation. Rose values the team policies and understands the expectations. He knows when to joke and when to get serious.

Rose also respects and likes Buckner. He’s willing to put his body on the line for his coach.

“There’s a comfort level there that’s really nice,” Rose said. “Everyone understands each other. There’s unity. You become a family.”

Terminology And Schemes

Anthony Walton does not expect to play varsity this season. But the sophomore JV defensive back knows that if the team needed him to step up, he could — at least mentally.

For the last three years, Walton has run the same defense. He knows the plays by heart and understands the scheme.

And it’s mostly the same stuff varsity uses.

“I don’t know that physically I could do it, but I would definitely understand what’s going on,” Walton said. “I would know where to be.”

From varsity to middle school, most schools employ the same system. It might get more complex as the competition gets tougher, but the basics remain the same.

At Santa Fe, the terminology rarely changes. The consistency allows players to grow and develop in a system, to not have to start from scratch every year.

“Terminology, schemes we try to keep them pretty similar throughout,” Buckner said. “It makes it easier on the kids, and anything that you can make easier helps.”

Atmosphere

Both La Marque and Santa Fe do not segregate spring practices based on age level. Freshman, sophomore or varsity, all the players are doing the same routines and workouts.

It sets the same tone for all levels.

“There’s really no difference in spring,” Walton said. “You learn the expectations and what it takes to compete at varsity. You take that back to JV or your freshman team so it stays that way.”

During Santa Fe’s offseason workouts, Walton got a taste of just how competitive the atmosphere can be.

The offensive line and skill players got into a contest. They were running curves along the track and wanted to see who could do the most.

The offensive line got to 30, and the skill players did 31. The line, halfway through its weight room workout, went back out to the track and did 31.

The competition went on for a few more laps until the two settled on a tie.

“That competitive atmosphere is exactly what you want,” Buckner said. “You want your kids to want — to believe — they can win.”

Not Just A Varsity Coach

When Warren Trahan took over a struggling Dickinson program at the turn of the millennium, he started to create a winning program by changing the attitude. He wanted to convince the Gators they could win.

And that went from the top all the way to the bottom. Trahan added six more coaches at the freshman level. He started holding JV practice at the same time as varsity, just an hour after the freshman practice started.

“It’s not just the varsity team you look at,” Trahan said. “It’s everything from the freshman coaches to the system at the middle school to the weight room. You have to oversee that.”

Particularly, if coaches want a program that will succeed year in and year out.

In high school, unlike college and the pros, no one gets to choose players. It’s part of the beauty of high school football. Coaches must compete with the pieces they’re given.

The best way to do so is start from the bottom up, so when the kids reach the varsity level, they’re as prepared and ready as possible. They’re comfortable, understand the expectations and know the schemes.

“You can’t expect to start from scratch at the varsity level,” Jordan said. “It’s a building process, from the ground up.”

Starter

Gata fans im sorry to hear about the racist remarks. My son is on the varsity team and it is a very diverse team and a family . If that is true those kids have no place on the football field. Im hearing a lot about yall speed,but we played a little team called Angleton well and lost by a last second field goal. Trust me Quandre Diggs is the real deal along with Ryan Jackson . We have seen speed. Gatas its all about execution. The facts headlines read in big bold letters this morning" IN FOR A FIGHT" as the headline. So trust me we are taking yall very serious.