Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a baseball team

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member

Default Help me find a baseball team

You all know I hate MLB, but every year I try my hardest to get into it. I actually like it in the early months, but the season just drags on too damn long. That said, I'm going to give it a try again. My biggest problem is that when I have tried to get into it in the past, it has always been with the Rangers and disappointment and then apathy quickly ensues. I'll probably go to quite a few Ranger games since I'm up here, but I want a team to follow.

I tried the Yankee thing, but it was everything I could do just to stomach the thought of following the evil empire. And eaglchick, I know you'll read this, you can take the Rays and shove 'em, but I am considering the Mets. I'm kinda thinking maybe the Atlanta Braves. I'm from North Florida which is Brave-heavy territory. Don't suggest the Stros because their suck rivals that of the Rangers. I could maybe get into the Dodgers, especially if they keep Manny. Boston is certainly a possibility, and as much as I hate to give D08 the satisfaction, so are the Cubs.

Anyway, I need suggestions and reasons backing them.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer stevefoxsc's Avatar

Default Re: Help me find a baseball team

boston sucks, thats all you need to know.
    Delivering the 5A news that matters to you!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer RocklandDragon's Avatar
    Where autumn weather is usually quite pleasant. Pefect for football

Why not the Houston Astros?

They usually go on a tear around August and fight back to contention. Had great runs in 2004 and 2005. They usually have great pitching and play against the historical teams Cubs, Cardinals and Reds often.

The Central division is pretty competitive and why not cheer for the underdog Astros.

Edit: I ain't gonna lie though...the year is supposed to be tough.
    Last edited by RocklandDragon; 02-07-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    My photo website:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocklanddragon/sets/

The return to glory for Lubbock High football.

The Mighty Westerners--Champs of Texas HS football. 1939, 1951, 1952.

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

March down the field to glory, the Ferocious Stony Point Tigers of Round Rock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoxsc View Post
    boston sucks, thats all you need to know.
    Fail
    GEAUX TIGERS

Stratford Spartans
    SPARTAN PRIDE

I usually find myself cheering for the Mets because of Omar Minaya. He's the GM for the Mets and was born in the Dominican Republic. It's not often a hispanic can reach that stature in a MLB office but when they do watch out... especially if he's Dominican. Dominican born players have taken over MLB and he can connect with the Dominicans on a family level. Minaya was also responsible for finding Sammy Sosa and Juan Gonzalez when he was a scout for the Texas Rangers. Jose Reyes is an electric player and extremely fun to watch. I also hate the Yankees so it makes it that much easier to root for the Mets. I also like watching the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because of the youth.. Justin Upton and Scott Kazmir are both tremendous players and will be there for along time. The Florida Marlins are a fun bunch to watch because they really don't have any big name players but they get their job done whatever that might be.

After saying that I'm a Texas Rangers fan at heart.
    Last edited by svhorns; 02-07-2009 at 12:58 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer stevefoxsc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodleboy80 View Post
    Fail
    amazingly sounds just like your social and sexual life.
    Delivering the 5A news that matters to you!

Rangers are the Texas Tech of MLB, but they still are my team.

Go with the Braves bro... They have an outstanding manager in Bobby Cox..they play in the National League (where real baseball is played) they play like a team (not individuals) they grow their farm system and they play all aspects of baseball (they dont just play longball). In short, they play the game the way it was meant to be played.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2009 5ATF College Football Top Gun Champion
    Hook 'Em Horns

Dragons Football

The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all
    Walt Disney Company

i'd tell you to root for the yanks any other year but this one.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

I'm an Astro's fan at heart, but always have admired the Cardinals and the Braves because they have two of the best managers in the game in Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox respectively, IMO.

Without a doubt, Kansas City Royals.

Not really...
    BOBCAT FIGHT NEVER DIES

GEAUX TIGERS

Quote Originally Posted by SLC View Post
    Go with the Braves bro... They have an outstanding manager in Bobby Cox..they play in the National League (where real baseball is played) they play like a team (not individuals) they grow their farm system and they play all aspects of baseball (they dont just play longball). In short, they play the game the way it was meant to be played.
    The only good baseball memories I really have are Braves associated. I grew up a huge Greg Maddux fan and loved watching them win the World Series. A friend of mine from high school used to play in the Braves organization and never had anything but the best things to say about the entire organization.

Quote Originally Posted by RocklandDragon View Post
    Why not the Houston Astros?
    When was the last time a Houston area professional sports team outside of the Dynamo won anything of consequence? I rest my case. Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.

Quote Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
    When was the last time a Houston area professional sports team outside of the Dynamo won anything of consequence? I rest my case. Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.
    this.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer RocklandDragon's Avatar
    Where autumn weather is usually quite pleasant. Pefect for football

When was the last time a Houston area professional sports team outside of the Dynamo won anything of consequence?
    The Houston Rockets won NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. I'm certain that is well within your lifetime.

I rest my case. Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.
    Aw...you can cheer for a Houston team. It ain't gonna hurt ya. Maybe they'll start building snowmen in hell.

My photo website:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocklanddragon/sets/

The return to glory for Lubbock High football.

The Mighty Westerners--Champs of Texas HS football. 1939, 1951, 1952.

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

March down the field to glory, the Ferocious Stony Point Tigers of Round Rock!!!

My dad grew up in Boston and instilled the Red Sox into me, and i also take his company's season tickets to alot of Ranger games, so those are my favorite teams, but I find watching some individual players (especially those with alot of personality) just as entertaining as following a team. Sure I loved Manny when he was on the sox, but i still love watchin him with the dodgers. i could care less about the Indians, but Sizemore is alot of fun to watch. Rick Ankiel is another personal favorite, and once again dont care about the cards. i'd say you could pick a few players and follow them and enjoy it just as much

The only good baseball memories I really have are Braves associated. I grew up a huge Greg Maddux fan and loved watching them win the World Series. A friend of mine from high school used to play in the Braves organization and never had anything but the best things to say about the entire organization.

I'm telling ya man..The Braves are the only baseball team I thorougly enjoy watching. They, to me, are the epitomy of what baseball is all about. The only thing they didnt do was win an abundance of titles in the 90's with all the great teams they had, but I dont care about that in totality becuase they play the game the right way. When I close my eyes and think of baseball and the times I really enjoy watching it (because I, like you, cant get into it much) the Braves are the picture in my mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2009 5ATF College Football Top Gun Champion
    Hook 'Em Horns

Dragons Football

The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all
    Walt Disney Company

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

I've developed a pretty good feel for the Astros. Good organization - very stellard second half record over the past decade - meaning the team plays hard.
    Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by RocklandDragon View Post
    The Houston Rockets won NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. I'm certain that is well within your lifetime.
    I was 12-13 when they won those titles and I loved watching them. I was a big fan of Dream and Cassell and all those guys. Since then though, non-soccer Houston area sports has been an embarrassment of epic proportions. Were it not for Katy, I think God would have done smited Houston off the face of the Earth because the entire region is sports hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack View Post
    I've developed a pretty good feel for the Astros. Good organization - very stellard second half record over the past decade - meaning the team plays hard.
    Meaning they coast during the first half and get up during the second half to pad their stats for contract reasons. Thanks but no thanks.