Thread: Olsen Field set for major renovation

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Default Olsen Field set for major renovation

Olsen Field is going to start a $16 million dollar renovation in January of 2010. There are already at least two seven figure donors lined up ready to foot the bill. The company will be the same that did the Disch and Haymarket. For Aggieland, we will get a new concourse, suites, a new facade, restrooms, concessions, and seating extended four rows down towards the field to bring fans closer to the action.

I will reserve judgement on it until the drawings are released in the 2009 Aggie Baseball Media Guide. Olsen is a grand old lady, but she has gotten a bit dingy. I want to see the integrity of the field maintained, but brought up to date. The team under Childress has improved by leaps and bounds and deserves a first class home to play in.

On a related note, there is no rest for the weary in the Big XII facilities races. We just opened the Cox/McFerrin Center for Aggie Basketball and new indoor football/track facilities. UT just finished the Disch and the DKR expansion. No one is blinking, even in tough economic times.

Default Re: Olsen Field set for major renovation

outstanding!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member

Good to hear, but can somebody tell me how this can be done just a couple of months after Dollar Bill publicly says that they don't have the money to powerwash the bat crap of the side of Kyle Field?

Haymarket is a helluva park BTW and the renovation on the Disch is nothing short of stunning.

Sweet! Also, I went to the opening/first track and field meet in the new McFerrin Complex and it's really nice. Very big, with a cool hydraulic track and these little videoboards that tell the leaders in each event. They brought the 12th Man TV truck in there too and used it as the main videoboard to follow the runners on the track and stuff.

I'm going back tonight and tomorrow for the joint Big 12 vs. SEC dual meet - A&M, Texas, and Mizzou vs. Florida, LSU, and Ole Miss. It's conference vs. conference, so all the points earned by the schools in each conference are pooled. Should be fun!
    Proudest Member of
    the Fightin' Texas Aggie
    Class of 2010!

A-WHOOP!

Quote Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
    Good to hear, but can somebody tell me how this can be done just a couple of months after Dollar Bill publicly says that they don't have the money to powerwash the bat crap of the side of Kyle Field?

Haymarket is a helluva park BTW and the renovation on the Disch is nothing short of stunning.
    Nobody wants to pay to wash the bat crap off of Kyle, but if you get your name on a plaque or whatever or can say "I paid to renovate such-and-such stadium", out come the big bucks.
    Proudest Member of
    the Fightin' Texas Aggie
    Class of 2010!

A-WHOOP!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBand06 View Post
    Nobody wants to pay to wash the bat crap off of Kyle, but if you get your name on a plaque or whatever or can say "I paid to renovate such-and-such stadium", out come the big bucks.
    Dollar Bill should offer to name something after somebody who ponies up the money to clean the feces off the football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post

Link/source? They have powerwashing crews out at least every week during football season. The main problem is that because the buggers are endangered, you can't just kill them.

From October 15, 2008:

Some of you who attended the Kansas State game discovered a few bat carcasses on the ramps and more residue along the concourses than usual. For several years, Kyle Field has been inhabited by the official flying mammal of the State of Texas the Mexican Free-tailed Bat. I'm told this is the migration season, but I hope Kyle Field does not become a rest stop of sorts for the bats. We already have plenty of bats using Kyle as a place to hang-out without bringing in their friends and neighbors.

These bats help us by eating a lot of bugs around the stadium, but unfortunately, what goes in also comes out. We have crews which spend hours each week power washing Kyle Field and the Zone Plaza specifically for bat residue. We also spend quite a bit of money on deodorizers, and we even have a crew which does a last-minute sweep for residue just before gates open. It's a never ending chore, but we promise to continue to do our best to keep Kyle Field clean.

mmmm guano

Quote Originally Posted by svhorns View Post
    mmmm guano
    It really does suck and smell, but you can't do very much about it. You can powerwash a surface, and within a few days the guano will be back inches deep. No doubts that it is a terrible thing to have at Kyle, but they do powerwash (and in fact have done a major powerwash on the outer structure every year I've been here.)