Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: if you were a coach..

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Default if you were a coach..

and you have a great athlete in your program...such as a Russell Shepard or Vince Young. Do you revamp your entire offense to showcase that player and take advantage of his skill.....or do you run an offense that will still be effective once that player graduates?

Example...Katy loses Dean and Mitchell and players know the system and can step right in.

How will schools like Cy-Ridge and Morton Ranch look when that "Superstar" is gone? Can you still run the same offense?

Not a shot at anyone, just an honest question.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Default Re: if you were a coach..

Quote Originally Posted by dada View Post
    and you have a great athlete in your program...such as a Russell Shepard or Vince Young. Do you revamp your entire offense to showcase that player and take advantage of his skill.....or do you run an offense that will still be effective once that player graduates?

Example...Katy loses Dean and Mitchell and players know the system and can step right in.

How will schools like Cy-Ridge and Morton Ranch look when that "Superstar" is gone? Can you still run the same offense?

Run the system... add plays during off-season for that player...
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

R A N G E R S

Quote Originally Posted by svhorns View Post
    Run the system... add plays during off-season for that player...
    i agree

Scout Teamer

Thats a good question. I think the majority of coaches don't have a program or system so they have to see who the athletes are and build around them. This of course hurts you both short and long term. Short term if key players get hurt during the season and long term a rebuild every year.

All-American Empire strikes back's Avatar

In bold is my answer. You got to have an offensive system that is effective for as long as your in that particular program.
    Last edited by Empire strikes back; 01-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    467-146-12

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Darrell Royal

Quote Originally Posted by TXHSFootball55 View Post
    Thats a good question. I think the majority of coaches don't have a program or system so they have to see who the athletes are and build around them. This of course hurts you both short and long term. Short term if key players get hurt during the season and long term a rebuild every year.
    Chris Williams is gonna be hard to replace

Been kinda sorta wondering the same thing but kind of the reverse way. How successful will somebody like Shep be in College where he actually needs to run an offense rather than be the offense? Or did Les Miles draft him as a WR or Athlete? I'm sure the VY references are to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TXHSFootball55 View Post
    Prime example...Morton Ranch was undefeated, went toe-to-toe with Katy for a half....Mitchell goes out and the entire offense shuts down.

Besides Katy...what schools have good SYSTEMS?....same offense year in and year out?
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Been kinda sorta wondering the same thing but kind of the reverse way. How successful will somebody like Shep be in College where he actually needs to run an offense rather than be the offense? Or did Les Miles draft him as a WR or Athlete? I'm sure the VY references are to follow.
    Exactly, again, not taking shots at anyone, but does having a Vince Young or Russell Shepard make coaching not "THAT" important? And are the coaches actually concerned more about winning than developing a player? Wouldn't it be better for the kid if you played him as a WR?

Exactly, again, not taking shots at anyone, but does having a Vince Young or Russell Shepard make coaching not "THAT" important? And are the coaches actually concerned more about winning than developing a player? Wouldn't it be better for the kid if you played him as a WR?
    i've also wondered that cuz abilene high has had a lot of qb's in the past few years that have gone to college for something else other than quarterback

Prime example...Morton Ranch was undefeated, went toe-to-toe with Katy for a half....Mitchell goes out and the entire offense shuts down.

Besides Katy...what schools have good SYSTEMS?....same offense year in and year out?
    que? You've been here long enough to know who and who does not have good systems

R A N G E R S

que? You've been here long enough to know who and who does not have good systems
    And SV....lol. Katy and SV don't rely on having great athletes....many call their systems "basic"....but it gets the job done.

My guess is coaches will probably try and tell you that their primary job is to get as many wins for the team and not to get individual players D1 scholarships. IMO, a lot of HS coaches do not put emphasis on making their athletes better football players. I think I raised that question in a thread sometime during the 2008 season. I also made a comment on the College board that for the most part, HS coaches in Texas now run systems that do not necessarily prepare HS athletes (on the offense anyway) for the next level so I'm starting to doubt the quality of Texas recruits.

My guess is coaches will probably try and tell you that their primary job is to get as many wins for the team and not to get individual players D1 scholarships. IMO, a lot of HS coaches do not put emphasis on making their athletes better football players. I think I raised that question in a thread sometime during the 2008 season. I also made a comment on the College board that for the most part, HS coaches in Texas now run systems that do not necessarily prepare HS athletes (on the offense anyway) for the next level so I'm starting to doubt the quality of Texas recruits.
    True.....most kids will never play in the system that they played in HS again.

All-World

We run a very similar offense year in and year out... This year we used a lot more spread and passing because we had a great QB and a great group of WRs... But we were still a power running team at heart, and lived and died by it... The only playoff game we played in, they shut down our running game up the middle, and everything else just didnt work out like it did for every other game... The 5 losses on our Oline made it even more difficult... But as a whole, we are always a power running team first... Last year we probably passed more than ever before, but we still relied on our running game

And SV....lol. Katy and SV don't rely on having great athletes....many call their systems "basic"....but it gets the job done.
    lol...thanks for the retribution...Katy, SV, SLC, all have top notch systems...

R A N G E R S

True.....most kids will never play in the system that they played in HS again.
    With all the success that KHS has had, you would think that some of these coaches would actually want to switch to the pro style that Katy runs. Even TWHS went away from it.

Do coaches not like it because it is harder to teach?

With all the success that KHS has had, you would think that some of these coaches would actually want to switch to the pro style that Katy runs. Even TWHS went away from it.

Do coaches not like it because it is harder to teach?
    It's very complicated. Not as flashy, but very hard to contain.

It's very complicated. Not as flashy, but very hard to contain.
    Carson runs the option at College Park and has been running it since the school opened. Personally, I'm happy with it as long as they pass enough to make the other team have to defend against it. They did that in our final game last year and got very good results. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come next year.

lol...thanks for the retribution...Katy, SV, SLC, all have top notch systems...
    didnt u forget somebody?
    well back in the 90's
    There's gon' be some stuff u gon' see that's gon' make it hard to smile in the future. But thru whatever u see, thru all the rain and the pain, gotta keep your sense of humor. You gotta be able 2 smile thru all this bullsh**..Remember that..keep ya head up. 2Pac-Smile
    Yep.....that's wifey material right there....I can't believe you're single