Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You are now the Plano Coach - what do you do at the Kick-off?

Default You are now the Plano Coach - what do you do at the Kick-off?

Plano Fans you are now Coach Gerald Brence. It is game day - Saturday December 3rd 2005, at Texas Stadium. You have just sent the captains out to center field for the Coin Toss. What do you tell your captains to do? (SLC Fans and Neutrals, please reply from a Plano viewpoint). We know SLC will opt to receive the kick if SLC wins the toss, but what does Plano do when faced with the choice :-

a. Kick-off to SLC or b. Receive the Kick-off from SLC.

This is the conundrum you are faced with.

a. Kick to SLC - In kicking to SLC you give the ball to the State’s best offense, who have scored on each of their opening drives in the play-offs. Against Allen it only took 2 passes and 45 seconds. If SLC scores then Plano are chasing the game from the get-go. But if the Plano defense puts a stop on the Dragons first attack then you make a huge statement and give the whole Plano team a lift, ready for when the Plano Offense takes the field.

b. Receive the kick from SLC – To win the game Plano has to score points, but you are facing SLC’s best ever defense; who has shut down the opening drives of I-Mac, Allen and Abilene. In fact SLC has completely shut-out all 3 play-off opponents in the first half of games. By receiving the ball you keep the SLC offense off the field, but you must put points on the board before giving the ball back to SLC.

Pick your poison. It’s your choice Coach Fan.
    Last edited by toonman; 11-29-2005 at 10:32 AM.

All-State

Default Re: You are now the Plano Coach - what do you do at the Kick-off?

Has someone mentioned praying???

Quote Originally Posted by toonman
    Plano Fans you are now Coach Gerald Brence. It is game day - Saturday December 3rd 2005, at Texas Stadium. You have just sent the captains out to center field for the Coin Toss. What do you tell your captains to do? (SLC Fans and Neutrals, please reply from a Plano viewpoint). We know SLC will opt to receive the kick if SLC wins the toss, but what does Plano do when faced with the choice :-

a. Kick-off to SLC or b. Receive the Kick-off from SLC.

This is the conundrum you are faced with.

a. Kick to SLC - In kicking to SLC you give the ball the Stateís best offense, who have scored on each of their opening drives in the play-offs. Against Allen it only took 2 passes and 45 seconds. If SLC scores then Plano are chasing the game from the get-go. But if the Plano defense puts a stop on the Dragons first attack then you make a huge statement and give the whole Plano team a lift, ready for when the Plano Offense takes the field.

b. Receive the kick from SLC Ė To win the game Plano has to score points, but you are facing SLCís best ever defense; who has shut down the opening drives of I-Mac, Allen and Abilene. In fact SLC has completely shut-out all 3 play-off opponents in the first half of games. By receiving the ball you keep the SLC offense off the field, but you must put points on the board before giving the ball back to SLC.

Pick your poison. Itís choice Coach Fan.
    *ASSUMING YOU WIN THE TOSS*

You take the ball. As I said in another thread, then you pray you don't go 3 and out. You gotta hold the snap till 1 sec left on every down. Milk that clock for all it's worth.

Problem that almost every team faces is, if they go 3 and out even once, normally they look up and it's 14-0.

Can Plano beat SLC w/a run based attack if they are down 14 points? If that scenario plays out, SLC wins by 50.

~DnM

5A Texas Football Hall of Famer - 2007 Pick 'Em Champion Fleeman93's Avatar

If Plano wins the toss I would differ to the second half and of course SLC would take the ball. If Plano's D is as good as advertised then give them the chance to set the tone. One thing Plano can't be is scared or they will get trounced for sure. A huge part of why Mike Tyson was so damn good is because everyone that stepped in the ring with him was scared out of their minds. Then comes along old "Buster" and he says what the hell do I have to lose and Mike Tyson's career is history. Plano should go in there and give them everything they have and if they get beat then they should accpet that they got beat by a better team. Certainly wouldn't be the first time SLC has beat a good team.

All-State

The only thing I would expect Coach Brence to do is walk out on the field. Take a look around and take it all in. Walk over to the bench. Put his head between his legs and kiss his *** goodbye cause Plano doesnt' stand a chance !!!

And I was worried about Westfield. Atleast we aren't playing SLC. !

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Sakatha
    *ASSUMING YOU WIN THE TOSS*

You take the ball. As I said in another thread, then you pray you don't go 3 and out. You gotta hold the snap till 1 sec left on every down. Milk that clock for all it's worth.

Problem that almost every team faces is, if they go 3 and out even once, normally they look up and it's 14-0.

Can Plano beat SLC w/a run based attack if they are down 14 points? If that scenario plays out, SLC wins by 50.

~DnM
    plano along with every other team in every playoff game this week has to feel they can play their game. dance with those what brung them, so to speak. any semblance of fear or weakness on the coaches part(drastic change in formations or stratgies) will be a step into the abyss. i don't look for brence to do anything that they haven't been successful with up til now. they will try to disguise some coverages, and recreate what worked against similar offenses this year. the offense will assume they can move the ball. if they can't, everything else is irrelevant anyway. therefore, they'll take the ball, and let the chips fall where they may.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

I'd defer if you win the toss - Plano supposedly has a tough D - let them have at it. Plus, you get the ball to begin the 3rd.

Do most teams up that way take the ball when they win the toss?

This thread sounds like the old Karl Malden Amex commercials... "What will you do? What WILL YOU DO!?"

I agree with ddaddy - they have to stay with their strengths and not get desperate early... like Cowher did last night with that onside kick...

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack
    I'd defer if you win the toss - Plano supposedly has a tough D - let them have at it. Plus, you get the ball to begin the 3rd.
    As I stated in my earlier post I think this would be the best way to go. There is no doubt that Plano's D is going to have to play lights out to get the win so why not give them the chance to shut off the power right off the bat. Not saying it is going to happen but can you imagine the tone it would set if Plano kicked off and forced SLC to 3 and out............?

All-American

Brence does usually defer.........

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeman93
    As I stated in my earlier post I think this would be the best way to go. There is no doubt that Plano's D is going to have to play lights out to get the win so why not give them the chance to shut off the power right off the bat. Not saying it is going to happen but can you imagine the tone it would set if Plano kicked off and forced SLC to 3 and out............?
    someone did that to slc last year. seems like it was abilene, or sv maybe. first series backed up 12 yds and punted. generally speaking, since slc is in their 2 minute offense anyway, i don't think missing a series early is any different than in the second qtr or the second half. generally, the slc offense is pretty amnestic.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

All-District

Fleeman has it. You hope to give the ball to SLC first and let your "D" do their thing. You get to look at the vaunted SLC "O" right off the bat and IF you can stop them.....you plant a seed. I'll bet they have driven down to score most of the time they have the ball first and expect it. No matter how confident or well coached, stopping them on the first drive WILL have some effect and Plano will need every advantage.

Am I wearing depends?
    2012 Division 2 State Champs / Playoff points for 331 against 95
    2013 Division 2 State Finalist / Playoff points for 309 against 81

slc is a great 11 man team using the skills and techniques honed thru 7on7 play. do 7on7 teams start doubting after getting stopped on the first couple of series? this is a new era and dodge has prepared a team to deal with it as well or better than anyone. will it continue to dominate? i doubt it, but it's too late for everyone to catch up this year. will they win out? if they play the last 3 like the first 3, i'd be willing to bet a dr pepper or 3.
    let's get'r done-cs rip

I'm not saying that Plano stopping SLC with a 3 and out on their first possesion will do anything to a proven SLC team but it will without a doubt give Plano a huge boost of confidence. Lets take it a step further and say that SLC puts to Plano and they drive the ball on the ground 60 yards for a score that eats up 8 minutes off the clock. Now how does it look?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

I think SLC might have enough of a letdown that this game stays somewhat close.

All-American

I think Brence almost always defers. He will probably stick with that.
    *disclaimer: I am not THE Butch Fifield nor have I ever played QB for the Plano Wildcats.

If you have a solid defense then you should defer.

Banned

I would choose to recievce the opening kickoff if I was Plano. Try your best to atleast pick up 2 firstdowns and keep the clock running. Trying to knock off 4 to 5 minutes off the clock on my first drive and even if I didnt score your are shortening the game and giveing yourself a better shot. If you give SLC the ball first and they score in the first 5 plays then I can just feel the energy taken from the Plano sideline. But once we had to play defense I would Blitzt until my LB's legs fell off. Hopfully trying to put McElroy to the turf atleast 2-3 times a quarter. It will be Key for Plano to keep fresh legs in on the secondary. and always protect against the home run ball with a 2-deep saftey look. If Plano can establisg a running game and score 2 or 3 first half TD's and apply great pressure then I see Plano having a shot of beating the SLC Dragons. Maybe a few trick plays here and there to try to catch SLC out of position for a Quick score.

With a successful and mistake free Plano game with great defense and twice as much ball control. And force atleast 3 McElroy INTS

Plano 21

SLC 14

If everything fells for Plano and they get out of there game plan.

SLC 56

Plano 7