112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Copperas Cove

55 49.11%
  • Cypress Ridge

57 50.89%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cypress Ridge vs. Copperas Cove

Default Re: Cypress Ridge vs. Copperas Cove

WOW! there are so many things to consider. Probably most important is the preparation the coaching staff puts the Dawgs thru this week. I think of the well talked of players such as the QB from Texarkana who was ranked #1 qb recruit in the state of Texas, committed to Michigan, and Jerqueez Rogers, highly recruited by many top programs (USC could'nt even stop him), Lache Seastrunck who is an awesome and highly recruited RB from Temple. These are just a few of the studs Cove was able to contain and take them out of their game. The Dawgs are good at that! But then, I think of the kid from Alamo Heights who was elusive, fast and a good passer. He played us well and we were in a Dawgfight! We lost that game but I think to this day we would have won if only not for the unexpected snap where Heights recovered the loose ball and put the game away. I honestly have to say what I said last Friday....I would take the Dawgs to a 4 Qtr football game anywhere, any day, as I consider thier level of conditioning a major factor in this game along with the ability to defend. I believe it's gonna be a fight with the Dawgs coming out on top if they take care of the ball! Get'r done..........
    Last edited by Eldawgo; 11-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by DawgDave View Post
    Cove's D has always done pretty well against a spread offense.
    So you say their QB is fast? Our OL and outside LB's are probably faster.
    In the last few games we are averaging 6 sacks on the QB.
    They play in an "Arena League" district??
    That means they don't see running games very often. Cove can, and will, run, run and run. Byrd, Wright, Greene and Chancellor are plenty fast enough. The only thing stopping Cove's offense is Cove. Too many fumbles.
    I look for a good game which, IMO, will be much higher scoring than last week's game against GNF.
    Dawgs take this one, 34-21.
    i hope u realize that statement might be one of the most ignorant statements i have EVER heard

Scout Teamer

Quote Originally Posted by UCmaroons View Post
    i hope u realize that statement might be one of the most ignorant statements i have EVER heard

AMEN to that maroons!

Don't let the words of few get in the way of what TRUE Dawg fans believe. This young man has proven that he is a very good football player. Until you see him play in person you can't believe just how good he really is!
    Last edited by FiberDAWG15; 11-23-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Russell is not only a great runner, when Cy Ridge is in a close game, he passes the ball very well for many yards. If i was a coach, i would play this guy like they have played Daryn Alves from Mckinney Boyd, let him get his yards but just keep the team out of the endzone.
    STATE CHAMPIONSHIP...HERE WE COME!

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime254 View Post
    Russell is not only a great runner, when Cy Ridge is in a close game, he passes the ball very well for many yards. If i was a coach, i would play this guy like they have played Daryn Alves from Mckinney Boyd, let him get his yards but just keep the team out of the endzone.
    Not a bad idea,but unlike Alves, Russell doesn't slam his helmet on the ground and pout when things don't go his way. From what I have seen and heard this young man keeps his head up and moves on to the next play.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime254 View Post
    uh...there is only a select few in the country that are faster that there QB...
    And Robert Griffin, former Cove QB and now Baylor's QB, is one of them (state records in the 110M, 300M hurdles and national record in the 400M hurdles) and Griffin wasn't even the fastest man on the Dawgs last year.
    Two that were faster are back playing this year.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tcallmeFrancis View Post
    Thank you Primetime. I hate it when people start making crazy statements about the opposing team. Sheppard is only one of the most highly recruited dual threat QB's in the nation (the number 8 player in the nation on Rivals top 100 list), commited to LSU, and someone makes a comment that our OL is faster than him. Heck, Robert Griffin, who we all thought was pretty good was only ranked # 42 on the Rivals Texas Top 100 list. Sheppard is rated as the NUMBER 1 dual threat QB in the nation.

If you are "truly" a Dawg fan and supporter don't say things that will wind up on the Cy-Ridge locker room wall all week and add to their resolve to play harder.

I think Cove will fare well, but it will be another war just like this past week. To think otherwise is a pipe dream (crack pipe).
    Griffin was the #3 rated dual-threat QB in the country last year. Ohio State's Terrell Pryor was ranked #1, and Griffin is running circles around him this year.

And Robert Griffin, former Cove QB and now Baylor's QB, is one of them (state records in the 110M, 300M hurdles and national record in the 400M hurdles) and Griffin wasn't even the fastest man on the Dawgs last year.
    Geeze man, you're just making it worse for yourself.
    2014 Katy Tigers, 13-1

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by KatyBass07 View Post
    Geeze man, you're just making it worse for yourself.
    I haven't meant to bash your QB, only point out that over the years Cove's biggest asset has been its' quickness and speed. They get to the ball quick.
    I'm sure your QB is the real deal. But I notice your D is not - having given up over 40 points twice this season. You can light up the scoreboard to be sure, but the other team also seems to score frequently.
    Should be a good game. Didn't mean for this to turn into a trash talking session.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

I like the Dawgs in this one - but anyone thinking they can shut down Shepard is dreaming. Without Russell Shepard... I see Ridge as a 3 win team. Their main rb is hurt, so it will be all Shepard all the time - very hard to defend.

Ridge's D is decent, but not dynamic. Should be a great one.
    Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by C-DUB View Post
    Once Russell gets loose in the secondary it's like trying to put the Genie back
    in the bottle.
    I listened to the TRSN broadcast of the Lufkin-Cy Ridge game...it was an awesome job by Cy Ridge...Congrats....the one thing that stood out in my mind as the announcers spoke at the end of the game was that Cy Ridge QB is most deadly running the ball to the outside and that teams must put pressure on him from the outside because he is not a strong runner getting through the pack in the middle. Its the only game I have heard or seen Cy Ridge in so don't know how true that is...BUT...if it is true...Cove will likely do to him what they did to Miller from Naaman-Forest on Friday...keep him to under a hundred yards for the first time this season! It is definately going to be a good game. I think it will be a little higher scoring than last week but could easily go either way. Good Luck Dawgs!

Very few if any Ridge posters on here. So the Dawgs have free reign on posts
    here.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by mcamp002 View Post
    I listened to the TRSN broadcast of the Lufkin-Cy Ridge game...it was an awesome job by Cy Ridge...Congrats....the one thing that stood out in my mind as the announcers spoke at the end of the game was that Cy Ridge QB is most deadly running the ball to the outside and that teams must put pressure on him from the outside because he is not a strong runner getting through the pack in the middle. Its the only game I have heard or seen Cy Ridge in so don't know how true that is...BUT...if it is true...Cove will likely do to him what they did to Miller from Naaman-Forest on Friday...keep him to under a hundred yards for the first time this season! It is definately going to be a good game. I think it will be a little higher scoring than last week but could easily go either way. Good Luck Dawgs!

cove needs to watch film from ridges games vs humble and cy-creek

those r their only two losses, humble held shepard to 38 yds rushing and creek held him to 50, and ridge only score 13, and 21 in those games

stopping him can be done

cove needs to watch film from ridges games vs humble and cy-creek

those r their only two losses, humble held shepard to 38 yds rushing and creek held him to 50, and ridge only score 13, and 21 in those games

stopping him can be done
    Well who knows what films they will send to Cove to watch...but Cove's Defensive ends and Outside linebackers are pretty good at containing...don't often let guys get around the outside on them.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by mcamp002 View Post
    Well who knows what films they will send to Cove to watch...but Cove's Defensive ends and Outside linebackers are pretty good at containing...don't often let guys get around the outside on them.
    That's the exact point I was trying to make when all the Cy Ridge fans called me a maroon.

That's the exact point I was trying to make when all the Cy Ridge fans called me a maroon.
    And anyone who has seen Cove's defense play understands that...that Sheppard kid is pretty quick...probably comparable to Robert Griffin...but I do believe we will do a good job of containing him and Cove does an OUTSTANDING job of moving towards the sideline to converge on the ball if they are getting around the outside! One thing most don't realize is that Cove's D is real good about playing their positions that's why we have been good against the run teams and the pass teams this year!

All-State

track speed is different than game speed, and i think shepard is quicker and faster when he is on a football field. and shepard isnt the fastest person on ridges offense

track speed is different than game speed, and i think shepard is quicker and faster when he is on a football field. and shepard isnt the fastest person on ridges offense
    Who is faster?

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by C-DUB View Post
    Who is faster?

a healthy lipscomb has better straight ahead speed

but no one can match shepards quickness