Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

Default Safety

what exactly is a safety?? it seems to go back and forth between when a saftey covers and doesnt, talk going on in this board...id like thegreatone to explain it to all of us ending the debate, since he is a former nfl player
    FOF

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Reaganrattler07's Avatar

Default Re: Safety

http://football.about.com/cs/footbal...rongsafety.htm

I googled Safety and "Strong Safety" came up and here is the definition:

Definition: A defensive player who generally lines up in the secondary to help stop the pass, but often aligns close to the line of scrimmage to help stop the run.

Examples: In most defenses, the strong safety lines up over the tight end and is responsible for both playing the pass and supporting the run.

Now, I haven't really seen safety's line up on the line of scrimmage unless they're blitzing. I normally see them hanging down behind the linebackers and in between the corners (in the middle of the field)
    LLA

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan

Ah, found a better one. Same website:

Safety A defensive back who lines up in the secondary between, but generally deeper than the cornerbacks. His primary duties include helping the cornerbacks in pass coverage.
    LLA

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganrattler07
    Now, I haven't really seen safety's line up on the line of scrimmage unless they're blitzing. I normally see them hanging down behind the linebackers and in between the corners (in the middle of the field)
    watch Troy Palamalou, I know I spelled that wrong, of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He lines up near the LOS all the time and sometimes does not blitz
    "You waste your time with these wise crack combacks. I read no more than the first sentence"~zippy

http://football.about.com/cs/footbal...rongsafety.htm

I googled Safety and "Strong Safety" came up and here is the definition:

Definition: A defensive player who generally lines up in the secondary to help stop the pass, but often aligns close to the line of scrimmage to help stop the run.

Examples: In most defenses, the strong safety lines up over the tight end and is responsible for both playing the pass and supporting the run.

I just googled brain surgery and now I am an expert. Anyone need me to perform a little operation
    "You waste your time with these wise crack combacks. I read no more than the first sentence"~zippy

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfootballfan
    watch Troy Palamalou, I know I spelled that wrong, of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He lines up near the LOS all the time and sometimes does not blitz
    Oh ok, I don't watch the Steelers too much. Now I know I've seen people stack the box in an instance when a team is running down the clock but 85% of the time, they'll be down the field to assist the corners.10% they may blitz and the 5% is about run support (lined up near the linebackers)
    LLA

I just googled brain surgery and now I am an expert. Anyone need me to perform a little operation
    I don't see the comparison. I was bringing a fact to prove my point.
    Last edited by Reaganrattler07; 11-16-2005 at 10:05 PM.
    LLA

yeah can you fix my spelling problem..
    FOF

I don't see the comparison. I was bringing a fact to prove my point.
    just because you google something doesn't make you an expert and does not mean that what you post is correct. Anyone can read something, but to truly know it is a much different story.

just because you google something doesn't make you an expert and does not mean that what you post is correct. Anyone can read something, but to truly know it is a much different story.
    Please, please, please state where I claimed I was an expert. As for the role of a safety. That definition is pretty universal. He is there as a safety net for the corners and the men up front (linemen and linebackers)
    LLA

Please, please, please state where I claimed I was an expert. As for the role of a safety. That definition is pretty universal. He is there as a safety net for the corners and the men up front (linemen and linebackers)
    The definition is not universal. It depends on what defense a team is playing and what responsiblities have been assigned to that player. On every team the safety's responsibility is different. Your definition did supply the basics, but it is not absolute.

The definition is not universal. It depends on what defense a team is playing and what responsiblities have been assigned to that player. On every team the safety's responsibility is different. Your definition did supply the basics, but it is not absolute.
    Then tell me why teams (most of the time) hang their safeties all the way down field? To cover the run? The opposing team would gain a whole lot of real estate before those safeties stopped the runner. The safeties stop the runner if the linebackers and d-line can't. Safeties are supposed to stop recievers if the corners can't. If you need to put your safeties among linebackers and on the line for most of the game, you must not have very good linebackers/lineman. Now if the opposing team is running down the clock, then of course, move the safeties in with the linebackers. But in normal plays, you hang them back to protect against the run and pass.
    LLA

wide-e-wide

I googled "real estate" ...Hey Skins...I have some prime oceanfront property outside of Phoenix...interested?

Quote Originally Posted by wide-e-wide
    I googled "real estate" ...Hey Skins...I have some prime oceanfront property outside of Phoenix...interested?
    wideman get it right, he wants to go hang out with those hogs in dc!
    FOF

wide-e-wide

Quote Originally Posted by dragons08
    wideman get it right, he wants to go hang out with those hogs in dc!
    I said I googled "real estate"...not "crime infested Mayor smoking crack estate"

I said I googled "real estate"...not "crime infested Mayor smoking crack estate"
    whoops, let me put my contacts back in
    FOF

are you sure, because I could have sworn you googled "swampland that nobody wanted with cardboard apartments"

All-Galaxy

Reagan, I dont know if I am an expert on this, but just let it go, you are correct in your google search. It is complicated as to what they do, all defensive schemes are different. But you gave a basic idea, and yes it is basically universal. Someone is just trying to argue like always. Oh yea, I played corner in HS, SS in college, and have been coaching the positions since then. At the college level for 2 years. But im no expert, so I could be wrong...

Then tell me why teams (most of the time) hang their safeties all the way down field? To cover the run? The opposing team would gain a whole lot of real estate before those safeties stopped the runner. The safeties stop the runner if the linebackers and d-line can't. Safeties are supposed to stop recievers if the corners can't. If you need to put your safeties among linebackers and on the line for most of the game, you must not have very good linebackers/lineman. Now if the opposing team is running down the clock, then of course, move the safeties in with the linebackers. But in normal plays, you hang them back to protect against the run and pass.

wide-e-wide

Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    Reagan, I dont know if I am an expert on this, but just let it go, you are correct in your google search. It is complicated as to what they do, all defensive schemes are different. But you gave a basic idea, and yes it is basically universal. Someone is just trying to argue like always. Oh yea, I played corner in HS, SS in college, and have been coaching the positions since then. At the college level for 2 years. But im no expert, so I could be wrong...

If you too believe a safety's primary purpose is to cover receivers...

I will bet my house and kids that your secondary sucks.

All-Galaxy

Like I said, its difficult to explain, but they do play the pass, do they not? It however is not a primary purpose by far. Just stating the his definition is a good idea as to what their job is. I can type about a 10000 word definition as to situations thet a SS can be in, in all the possible schemes that are used. But I would rather take a look around the board for a little while, and get to bed. I might work on that some day, if 08 really is interested in it.

If you too believe a safety's primary purpose is to cover receivers...

I will bet my house and kids that your secondary sucks.