Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "All-Time" Texas Team

Default The "All-Time" Texas Team

Came across this link, what are your thoughts. Impressive list of players.

http://www.txprepsfootball.com/AllTimeTexasTeam.htm

If this has already been discussed, feel free to remove the thread. I haven't seen this here though.
    If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results.
    Anthony Robbins

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer CyFallsMom's Avatar

Default Re: The "All-Time" Texas Team

Impressive list and Slingin' Sammy Baugh is on their TWICE!! Awesome.
    Cypress Falls Golden Eagles

"Being a Princess isn't all it's cracked up to be"
    Princess Diana

It's an amazing event. It makes rock concerts look like tea parties"
    John Winston Lennon on Monday Night Football 1974

The first sentence says it all. Good post. Let some of the younger guys take a look at Texas HS History.
    All gave some. Some gave all.

Banned

Is this the greatest HS players in Texas during Highschool or those that grew into great players after Highschool.

NO doubt their are many names that deserve to be on the list but their seems to be numerous players that weren't Great players but developed in College & went onto great pro careers. This is a endless debate with no clear answers.

I don't understand Ray Childress from Pearce HS on the list. Great player no doubt but Pearce didn't even make the playoffs when he was on the team. IMO Billy Ray Smith who graduated 2 years earlier and played in the same district at Plano was a much better player and was all-state junior & senior year while leading Plano to 2 Title appearances and a state championship in 77.

Quote Originally Posted by Plano Wildcat Fan View Post
    Is this the greatest HS players in Texas during Highschool or those that grew into great players after Highschool.

NO doubt their are many names that deserve to be on the list but their seems to be numerous players that weren't Great players but developed in College & went onto great pro careers. This is a endless debate with no clear answers.

I don't understand Ray Childress from Pearce HS on the list. Great player no doubt but Pearce didn't even make the playoffs when he was on the team. IMO Billy Ray Smith who graduated 2 years earlier and played in the same district at Plano was a much better player and was all-state junior & senior year while leading Plano to 2 Title appearances and a state championship in 77.
    They discuss their reasoning in the first couple of paragraphs of the article. Something along the lines of being great a some point in their career, not neccessarily High school.
    If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results.
    Anthony Robbins

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

Sammy Baugh...51.4 punting average for the 1940 NFL season.... Holy crap! Average....
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Obviously it's a compilation of greatness in HS, but moving on to near or at HOF status in the NFL.

Otherwise, you have to have Cedric Benson on there - three titles in three years with him being 85% of the offense.
    Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by drgnbkr View Post
    Sammy Baugh...51.4 punting average for the 1940 NFL season.... Holy crap! Average....
    Yeah I think their balls were bigger back then. That made it easier to kick!
    Anthony Robbins

All-American

How about Bubba Smith, instead? You know "Kill Bubba, Kill" wasn't just a rumor- people feared someone may die when Bubba was 6-4/275 from 8th grade on... growing into that foaming-at-the-mouth persona.

Two things from my point of view wrong with the list. They could have VERY easily included Joe Bob Bizzell as a DB, and a case could be made for Lloyd Hill to be on the list at WR over his brother. Other than that, that is one heck of a list. I love the linebacking corps they listed.

All-State

Did ya'll know that there is a whole wing dedicated to high school football in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco? It lists all these players and more. There are exhibits, articles, and paraphenalia from Texas' alltime best players and coaches. I spent an hour just in that wing & would've spent all afternoon, but I had my 9 year old son with me, who was getting restless. It also has a lot of stuff on the old Southwest Conference, and of course, the Dallas Cowboys. Check it out sometime whenever you are in Waco.

All-World

It's a joke that former South Grand Prairie great BJ Johnson did not make this list as a WR.

You could always argue for other people to be put on the list but this group is pretty impressive.

How about 2 players from my little ole Texas A&I on this list! Javelinas rock!

All-World

and who would be taken off the list so BJ could be on it? I mean I think Darnell Stephens should be on it too - but who to take off ?
    "The Presidency is not something that lends itself ot on-the-job training" Sen. Joe Biden when asked about Obamarx. Please -- Anyone but Obama Bin Biden.

What happened to Tim Brown, Bubba Smith and Phil Dawson
    Who are the idiots that signed petitions for Texas to secede from the US? They should be deported!!!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maroondog View Post
    You could always argue for other people to be put on the list but this group is pretty impressive.

How about 2 players from my little ole Texas A&I on this list! Javelinas rock!
    Three players from Texas A&I. Upshaw, Darrell Greene, John Randle. IMHO, all three of them obvious choices.

I do think that room could have been made for Alan Faneca on the list. Lamar Consolidated high school.

Quote Originally Posted by CyFallsMom View Post
    Impressive list and Slingin' Sammy Baugh is on their TWICE!! Awesome.
    First AND last
    SGP Warriors

Billy Ray was as good as I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    Billy Ray was as good as I've ever seen.
    And you have seen a few in your time!!

I remember seeing Y.A. when he was a pro.
    SGP Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by mojoguy View Post
    I love the linebacking corps they listed.
    No Doubt!
    GO PACK IN '2014