Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Coach Rushing

Default RIP Coach Rushing

I just got news that coach Al Rushing, legend at Southlake Carroll, passed away last night. I do not have any details right now but I will pass them along as soon as I know.

My favorite coach of all-time at Southlake Carroll. Truely cared about all of his kids both in the classroom and on the football field. The man had a heart of gold. You will be missed by all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    Whats wrong with you? Is your mind so demented that you feel like I've ever posted anything that deserves a post like that?

Default Re: RIP Coach Rushing

Rest in peace and thanks for the shinning example you set for the kids.
    Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

I'm going to be bumping this one for a few days. It's the least I could do for a man that was a coach and teacher of mine for four years. The greatest thing I can say about Coach Al was that he knew exactly who he was and what he wanted. The man was so happy in his own skin he really put kids at ease. His lines were technically perfect for the better part of a decade and were the reason our flexbone hummed. Lineweaver used to tell him to give him a crease and his playbook would put points up. Coach Al would just mutter that why bother with a crease when his boys could give you a crater. Coach rushing had no ego. All he cared was that his kids were prepared, played well and kept their heads up. As good as he may have been as a coach, his calling was in the classroom. I had him for three years of algebra and geometry. He was meant to help the kid that was struggling get straightened out and back on track. My world has lost a small piece that carried with it a sizeable impact. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family. Rest well, coach. You deserve it.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn.” — C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    I'm going to be bumping this one for a few days. It's the least I could do for a man that was a coach and teacher of mine for four years. The greatest thing I can say about Coach Al was that he knew exactly who he was and what he wanted. The man was so happy in his own skin he really put kids at ease. His lines were technically perfect for the better part of a decade and were the reason our flexbone hummed. Lineweaver used to tell him to give him a crease and his playbook would put points up. Coach Al would just mutter that why bother with a crease when his boys could give you a crater. Coach rushing had no ego. All he cared was that his kids were prepared, played well and kept their heads up. As good as he may have been as a coach, his calling was in the classroom. I had him for three years of algebra and geometry. He was meant to help the kid that was struggling get straightened out and back on track. My world has lost a small piece that carried with it a sizeable impact. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family. Rest well, coach. You deserve it.
    A very nice eulogy.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

That is some beautiful stuff son....There is nothing quite like a great coach/teacher, and it's obvious you loved Coach Rushing....God bless his family and the Dragon Nation...
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

I had him for algebra and geometry as well. I feel the same way as you. RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    Whats wrong with you? Is your mind so demented that you feel like I've ever posted anything that deserves a post like that?

Thank you. First of all, the words needed to be said. It's the absolute least I could do for one of my all time favorites. Second, coach made it easy to feel that way. He was special.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn.” — C.S. Lewis

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Miss Kitty's Avatar

It sounds like this man left quite a positive impression on a great many people. We should take a lesson from that and strive to do the same in our own lives.

May peace be with his family and friends. It sounded like his life was truly a celebration.
    Cindy-"I am ready for some volleyball. Do you have any cheers ready for the girls?" Kitty - "Yeah, my cheer for Pup is always, "if you mess up, NO DINNER FOR YOU!"

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

I first heard of Al's death yesterday afternoon, but could not bring myself to post the information here. The gentleman was one of the first of the good folks I met at Carroll in the 80s. Al Rushing is indeed a good man and while I did not get to see him but a few times a year as of late, I will still miss him a very great deal. A loss to all his former players, his students, and to all of us who knew him and loved the guy. Coach Rushing would only have been in his mid to late 50s. Yet another reason for me why this upcoming season will not be the same as those in the past.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Miss Kitty's Avatar

Do you know the details of his passing?
    Cindy-"I am ready for some volleyball. Do you have any cheers ready for the girls?" Kitty - "Yeah, my cheer for Pup is always, "if you mess up, NO DINNER FOR YOU!"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty View Post
    Do you know the details of his passing?
    No details are known yet. Only that we was found at home yesterday morning.

Coach could get an all district performance from almost anyone he ever worked with. Through our years is 3A we were blessed with some good size and an occassional DI prospect along the o line.(Marty Dunbar & Kevin Holmes) For everyone of those guys there were sevral like Scott Huebner or Craig Sisk. These were all effort guys who studied hard and worked harder without the benefit of any size. He would mold these types of players into young men that would dominate the superior dlines they lined up against. Far too young and far too soon.

bump

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Sorry for the loss guys.From what I hear on this board god has one good angel on his side.Maybe SLC can dedicate another season to him.The one thing that didn't hurt losing so bad in 2004 was finding out that SLC players had made a dedication to a coach that passed away and came through on a big way for him. That is a sign of true sportsmanship no matter what others opinions are on opposing teams
    Quote Originally Posted by toddg
    CKE..the best smart a.., and the quickest wit, always there to throw a wrench if a poster gets too cocky.

Quote Originally Posted by CKE View Post
    Sorry for the loss guys.From what I hear on this board god has one good angel on his side.Maybe SLC can dedicate another season to him.The one thing that didn't hurt losing so bad in 2004 was finding out that SLC players had made a dedication to a coach that passed away and came through on a big way for him. That is a sign of true sportsmanship no matter what others opinions are on opposing teams
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CKE View Post
    Thank you. You would have loved coach Rushing. I guarantee it.

Very nice SLC93.......My kids didn't have the opportunity to experience Coach Rushing. Judging from the impact he had on you and and others, that's too bad. He sounds like a truly wonderful coach, teacher and man!!

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to all his friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC13 View Post
    Very nice SLC93.......My kids didn't have the opportunity to experience Coach Rushing. Judging from the impact he had on you and and others, that's too bad. He sounds like a truly wonderful coach, teacher and man!!

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to all his friends and family.
    He was all that and, I'm sure, more. Ledbetter had such an eye for talent.His ability to form such wonderful, cohesive staffs was what made him great. As overlooked as the offensive line coach usually is, I assure coach Led wouldn't have traded Al for anyone in the state.

I will say this, on a lighter not. Coach Rushing's belly was truly a modern marvel. We used to joke it was like he swallowed a party ball. My most vivid memory of freshman ball was running into coach during a drill. Now, coach was what some may call portly but let me tell you this. That gut had no give to it at all. I know this because on that day I collided with it I found myself flat on my arse looking up. What did I see, you ask? Coach Al looking down through those big, coke bottle glasses doing the Kamala slap on his belly. Surely someone out there remembers the Ugandan nightmare, the old wrestler, Kamala?!?! Great memory.

For those interested, funeral services will be held for Al this Sunday afternoon at 2:00pm in St Elisabeth Episcopal in River Oaks, Texas. I don't have any details as of yet, but will post them when I find out or if these change.