Thread: Houston Stratford replaces Alief Hastings in 7on7 State Tournament

Default Houston Stratford replaces Alief Hastings in 7on7 State Tournament

not sure why but will post with more details or somebody else that knows exactly what happened>

All-District

Default Re: Houston Stratford replaces Alief Hastings in 7on7 State Tournament

Hastings withdrew ... don't know why. Would have been their first state appearance. I just talked to Eliot Allen a few minutes ago and he confirmed that's what happened; Stratford finished third at Cinco Ranch so apparently they were next in line for a berth.

All-World

figures that Stratford would find a loophole to get into the state 7 on 7

Its ok im sure they will be out after the first round

^^ just to avoid any hate responses that was sarcasm

Anyways good luck Stratford... Hope u win every game but Memorial

a little more info: http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3014/26/
    Last edited by MemorialMustangs; 07-02-2008 at 08:36 PM.

All-District

This probably is the answer to the Hastings question ...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5866854.html

Very sad if Hastings withdrew because of inability to raise the funds. I guess the UIL has to have these rules and enforce them, but the kids shouldn't have to wash cars and sell candy bars to go to College Station.

Stratford backs in, but they have been very competitive all season long, they just haven't been able to get past the tournament semifinals. I suspect they will do well in College Station.

Oh, and you Mustangs, good luck to you also. I hope fate gives you a shot at Stratford, I think that would be a lot of fun.

GATA!
    "It's amazing how much can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

well if it was not for fundraisers and the team doing a car wash for money then klein forest would be sitting at home also instead of going to college station, and we qualified a week LATER than alief hastings. now what would really be interesting is if one of two things happened. 1. if we couldnt get the money who would take our place because the 3rd place game wasnt played at the lufkin sqt! 2. if stratford had qualified during that lufkin sqt? i guess the 4th place team from that fb dulles sqt would have gone instead of alief hastings?

All-District

That is awefull that no one would step up and help these guys !!! where is the community. I started writing the number down to call the coach then I read they have already withdrawn ?????
    Those kids deserve better than this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The-P View Post
    That is awefull that no one would step up and help these guys !!! where is the community. I started writing the number down to call the coach then I read they have already withdrawn ?????
    Those kids deserve better than this.
    Have you ever been to an Alief ISD game...What community?

All-World

http://www.athletesconnection.com/content/view/3017/26/

So basicly its saying that the biggest problem was money... I kinda feel bad though knowing that the parents of our players probably paid for them to go while these guys worked and still couldnt go... To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if 1, 2, or 3 of the parents paid for the whole trip for our team... Most of the people at my school have parents that work for the oil companies, are developers, or are lawyers... So I really feel bad for them because they tried and worked... But it wasnt enough... Our players probably got a free ride from their parents ...

Its unfortunate... But at least they had they experience (of qualifying) and at least they got some good practice in by participating in the SQTs... It ends by an alum saying "this will not happen again"... I hope they qualify next year... Even though it still wont be the same

Administrator

I'm going to keep an eye on Hastings this season because I saw more fight from them last year than I've seen in a while. It would appear Greg Alexander made a difference in his first year in charge, and we'll see if Hastings can improve. Hastings could have made a playoff run last year, but ran into grade issues late in the regular season.