Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colerain Coach Visits Tyler

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer supercentex's Avatar

Default Colerain Coach Visits Tyler

Colerain Coach Visits Tyler

Cincinnati Colerain head coach Kerry Coombs wanted to give his Cardinals a sense of what high school football means to Texas, so he took the entire team to see "Friday Night Lights."

"We wanted to see what (that level of passion is) like, and you guys are living it," Coombs said Wednesday at a news conference held at the Tyler Chamber of Commerce.

"When I think about high school football (in Ohio), you are proud of the tradition that your state has, but you also understand that there are places in the country where high school football is extremely special."

The media event showcased the teams and head coaches competing in this year's East Texas Football Classic, and officially announced the inaugural Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge, featuring Robert E. Lee and Colerain.

The game will kick off at 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9 at Columbus Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

"We expect this game to be played in front of a sellout crowd of about 24,000 and a national television audience," said Ken Halloy, Vice President of FSM Ltd., a Central Ohio sports marketing firm. "Which ESPN station will pick it up yet, we are not sure. It will likely be ESPN Classic or ESPN2."

The game is also being billed as part one of a two-part clash between Texas and Ohio, culminating in one of the most anticipated college football games of next season - Texas at Ohio State.

Herbstreit, a former Ohio State (1989-92) quarterback and now renowned college football analyst for "ESPN GameDay", released a statement about how pleased he is to premiere his high school event on the eve of the Texas-Ohio State game.

"It's Texas vs. Ohio, North vs. South, the tradition of Texas high school football against the tradition of Ohio high school football. It doesn't get any better than that," Herbstreit said. "The eyes of the football world will descend upon Columbus, Ohio that weekend, and I'm extremely thrilled to be a part of it."

Tyler Independent School District Athletic Director Danny Long called the game "one of those opportunities that may come around once in a career for a coach. I am sure Robert E. Lee will represent this state with class, and hopefully, open the door for many other Texas high schools to travel throughout the country in the coming years."

Dave Stephenson, president of TITUS Sports Marketing in Dallas, is responsible for creating the East Texas Football Classic, and had a large hand in the Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge. This is extra special for Stephenson because he and Halloy were college buddies, both attending Ohio State.

"I grew up in Cincinnati ... I thought Ohio football was great and then I came down here and thought it was a different level," Stephenson said. "Now I am going back to Ohio in what is my new home and my love - Texas high school football."

Lee vs. Colerain is a showdown of state champions. Lee won the Class 5A Division I state title and Colerain finished as Ohio Division I state champs. Both teams lost several key players to graduation, but are expected to defend their titles.

Lee head coach Mike Owens acknowledged Colerain's prowess last season, and added "We don't have the same team we did last year, and I am hoping that they don't for sure.

"We are looking forward to it and it's an opportunity I couldn't turn down for our kids," Owens said. "I don't enjoy flying that far, but our players will and that is what it's all about anyway."

Coombs said the Cardinals will have to replace several starters from last season after 32 players graduated.

"We have a lot of holes to fill," Coombs said. "We were lucky enough to have a good team last year, which has given us the opportunity to participate in a game like this.

"We could get beat 100-0, but we will have played the best team from the best state. And for us to be able to do that is invaluable."

I am sure that SLC could have something to say about this guys last statement. Also Lufkin who beat Tyler Lee 44-33 last year.

If I remember correctly, SLC was National Champions in 2004.

This guy from Ohio doesn't really pay much attention to Texas HS football or he would have known better than to say Tyler Lee was the best Texas has to offer.

If the truth be known, Lufkin was asked to play this game in Ohio first by ESPN and Outlaw turned the opportunity down.

Why wasn't SLC asked?

All-State

I hope that is a good game, they could play one of several teams from Texas and think they were playing the best. Good Luck Tyler.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Mr. Buddy Garrity's Avatar
    Floating on a mat in the West Texas breeze in Abilene via Port Arthur Tx

Quote Originally Posted by PackAttack2005
    I am sure that SLC could have something to say about this guys last statement. Also Lufkin who beat Tyler Lee 44-33 last year.

This guy from Ohio doesn't really pay much attention to Texas HS football or he would have known better than to say Tyler Lee was the best Texas has to offer.

If the truth be known, Lufkin was asked to play this game in Ohio first by ESPN and Outlaw turned the opportunity down.

Why wasn't SLC asked?
    WOW! the truth comes out on Fridays!
    I smell Football in the West Texas breeze....

Follow me on Twitter: @MrBuddyGarrity

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer supercentex's Avatar

You know how coaches are.....they are going to talk up the other team no matter what.

I wish Colerain would travel down here and play a game, that would just be awesome. Since Lee has to play in Ohio, have Colerain come down to Texas next year.

I would like to see that as well, but you know this probably only a one shot pony for this year for these teams.

LP will have a squad next season so have them play Colerian

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

Why wasn't SLC asked?
    If he really wanted to play the best team, he would've talked to Coach Rackley!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

If I was to guess somebody like Moeller will be in the game next year. I bet Kirk always has the game in Ohio, too.

Why wasn't SLC asked?
    Because Colerain are scared of Southlake Carroll.
    Tyler Lee Red Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raiders
    Because Colerain are scared of Southlake Carroll.
    That and SLC's schedule is full.

Quote Originally Posted by dragons06
    That and SLC's schedule is full.
    I would be afraid of the #1 team in the whole nation too.

All-District

seeing that herbstreit has billed it "ohio vs. USA", then my guess would be that next year he will try to have a team from ohio playing someone from cali or florida. just a thought. I doubt it would be another texas team. as for espn asking lufkin, flatter yourselves all you want, but i am pretty sure that espn was brought into the picture after the game was set up.
    Tyler Lee Red Raiders- 2004 Div. 1 State Champions
    UNC Tar Heels- 2005 NCAA Basketball National Champions

Your wrong on both of your last points. I know when they asked Outlaw and when he turned them down, ESPN was involved from the beginning because ABC (which is part of ESPN) is broadcasting the Texas @ Ohio State game on Saturday, after Lee and Colerain play on Friday night.

It doesn't matter to me, except for the truth, I am going to drop the whole matter after this response. I am glad that Outlaw didn't accept the offer to do this game, it would only have been a huge travel distraction trying to do this and get ready for district play. Too much money to spend. In order to do it right, you must take the entire Texas High School experience to Ohio. That's not going to happen. I hope they come down to Texas next year and see what HS football is really all about.

I wish Lee the best, have fun.

Scout Teamer

Why wasn't SLC asked?
    Pack... If you are going to tell it, then let's be accurate... Lufkin was asked to play in Ohio, but it was to be a doubleheader, with Lufkin playing another team from Ohio. Do you know why Outlaw turned it down? Seems like it would of been a great opportunity for the kids, with National TV being a part of it.

SLC-Dad

Quote Originally Posted by lonny23
    If he really wanted to play the best team, he would've talked to Coach Rackley!
    Yeah Lonnie, I'm sure the Colerain coach had the names of a few teams they dispatched along the way for your boys to play in the "OH/TX Coulda-Shoulda Bowl"........

I think I have explained why Outlaw turned down. It would have been too much of a distraction just before district play starts, expense to travel to Ohio and unfair to Lufkin fans because most probably could not go. Lee will probably be lucky to have 300 fans on hand to watch their game in Ohio.

SLC got their national exposure beating teams from Texas, not Ohio.

I would rather see Lufkin play a Odessa Permian or Converse Judson or a Jenks, Oklahoma than go to Ohio.
    Last edited by PackAttack2005; 05-21-2005 at 11:53 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer stevefoxsc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scooter!
    I would be afraid of the #1 team in the whole nation too.
    id be scared of any team that can stop lufkin from winning a state championship and slc is the team year and year out though they have cocky fans....

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoxsc
    id be scared of any team that can stop lufkin from winning a state championship and slc is the team year and year out though they have cocky fans....
    When you goto 3 consecutive State Championship games, you have earned the right to be cocky.