Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI...North Miami Beach 25, MNW 0

All-State

Default FYI...North Miami Beach 25, MNW 0

The Miami Northwestern Bulls were routed in their spring game by North Miami Beach recently. I thought you might be interested to know that North Miami Beach completely dominated the new-look Bulls from start to finish. It looks like it might be a different year for the Bulls, but I'm sure they'll pull it together at some point. It should also be noted that North Miami Beach is ridiculously talented - very similar to MNW, but without the tradition. They are located in relatively the same location, so the demographics are similar.

The teams to look for on the national scene this year from Florida are Apopka-6A (traveling to play South Panola in Mississippi) and Lakeland-5A is back as well (traveling to Pittsburgh to play Central Catholic).

Any Texas teams playing any Florida teams this year...I believe Katy is playing Cypress Bay, correct? That should be an interesting game because Cypress Bay's new 2nd year coach is a guy named Mark Guandolo, who is a powerhouse coach who has turned that program around - CB is the largest school in Florida.

But, I'll say Katy 31, CB 20

Also, I'm going with Plano this year to take it all in Texas!
    Last edited by GBMonster76; 06-04-2008 at 06:25 AM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

Default Re: FYI...North Miami Beach 25, MNW 0

MNW will have a solid season by the time all is said and done. They just lost one of the strongest senior classes in hs football history. With so much talent and experience now playing in college, a tough spring was to be expected.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GBMonster76 View Post
    The Miami Northwestern Bulls were routed in their spring game by North Miami Beach recently. I thought you might be interested to know that North Miami Beach completely dominated the new-look Bulls from start to finish. It looks like it might be a different year for the Bulls, but I'm sure they'll pull it together at some point. It should also be noted that North Miami Beach is ridiculously talented - very similar to MNW, but without the tradition. They are located in relatively the same location, so the demographics are similar.

The teams to look for on the national scene this year from Florida are Apopka-6A (traveling to play South Panola in Mississippi) and Lakeland-5A is back as well (traveling to Pittsburgh to play Central Catholic).

Any Texas teams playing any Florida teams this year...I believe Katy is playing Cypress Bay, correct? That should be an interesting game because Cypress Bay's new 2nd year coach is a guy named Mark Guandolo, who is a powerhouse coach who has turned that program around - CB is the largest school in Florida.

Considering the entire recruiting class for the Miami Hurricanes graduated? Not surprising..

~DnM

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

I'm guessing that they take spring games a little bit more seriously in Florida than we do here in Texas.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

I think they're also a little bit like SLC in respect to graduating a great senior class.... having a good but maybe not great senior group this year, and then a monster class that are JRs this upcoming year. Lots of kids getting first year experience as juniors on their team. I bet they'll be right there come November and December.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by dada4w View Post
    I'm guessing that they take spring games a little bit more seriously in Florida than we do here in Texas.
    You sure about that? Heck some people down here some to think 7 on 7 football makes a difference in how a team will be the upcoming season...stupid

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rich_pack View Post
    You sure about that? Heck some people down here some to think 7 on 7 football makes a difference in how a team will be the upcoming season...stupid
    Here, Spring games are intersquad scrimages......they actually play against other teams in Florida...an actual "Game". And YES...some take 7 on 7 TOO seriously.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Quote Originally Posted by dada4w View Post
    Here, Spring games are intersquad scrimages......they actually play against other teams in Florida...an actual "Game". And YES...some take 7 on 7 TOO seriously.
    And have for years. There is a big difference. 7 on 7 is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. I agree completely.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar

North Miami Beach (2007 Record - 12-1)
    QB-Nico Flores (6-2 215) (One of the Top 3 QB's in Florida) (300 yds/3 tds vs MNW - the other day, including a 75 yd td pass hauled in by Kemal)
    QB-Ricky Desir (6-0 170)(2011) (Gonna be a good one!)
    RB-Nick Williams (5-9 180) (2010) (D1)
    FB-Jonathan Cyprien (6-0, 190) (D1)
    WR/DB-Kemal Ishmael (5-11 180) (Caught 2 td passes)
    WR/DB--Terrance Kinchen (2010) (D1)
    TE-Keeon Virgile (2011)
    LB/RB-Markeith Russell (6-1 210) (D1)
    LB-Max Dorsainvil (5-9 200)(2011)
    LB-Antonio Rogers
    LB-Keeon Virgile (2011)
    LB-Kinley Moise (2011)
    OL-Maurice Anderson
    OL-Wilson Jean
    OL/DE-Jiovanni Maldanado (2010)
    OL/DE-Alex Eduaord (2010)
    OL/DL-Frantz Simeon (2010)
    OL/DE-Travis Turner (2011)
    OL/DL-Freddy Lagueere (2011)
    OL/DL-Akeem Banton (2011)
    OL/DL-Cleveland Smith (2011)
    OL/DE-Wesley Joseph (2011)
    OL/DL-Jovens Francois (2011)
    DB-Yevin Desin (5-8 165)
    DB-Swight Kemp
    DB-Travell Dixon
    DB-Kinley Moise

Only suited out 32 players vs MNW... not a big deal, though.. apparently it's the norm. They return 28 from a team that had only 36 on its roster in 2007 (Um.. that's 78%, people!). 8 of those returnees were Fr and So. They put up 4100 yds and 52 tds, last season and beat teams like Miami Central and CYPRESS BAY - the team Katy will play this season. They barely lost to Deerfield Beach, 21-20, in the playoffs.... just before DB nearly upset MNW, in a close loss.. 14-19. North Miami Beach went 12-1, last year. From what I've heard... this NMB team could wind up with about 75% of it's team receiving scholi's. Not to mention most of the players will be D1 prospects. There's not many of them, but they are very athletic and very loaded. QB-Nico Flores might be one of the Top 3 QB's in the state. Flores, Kemal, Russell, Jean and Y. Desin are the likely superstars of the team. This team will be a threat for a title for the next few years.

Miami Northwestern (2007 Record - All-World Champs)
    QB/CB-Wayne Times (5-10 170) (Was a Safety, last year, and now is QB)
    QB/WR-Theodore Bridgewater (6-2 170) (Will likely be #1 QB by end up season!) (2011)
    RB-Daquan Hargrett (5-9 180)
    RB-Tyresse Jones (5-9 185)
    RB-Corvin Lamb (5-9 180) (2010)
    WR-Marquis Jackson (6-0 215)
    OL-Torrian Wilson (6-5 320) (2010)
    OL-Donald Senat (6-3 250) (2010)
    OL-Shkendrick Williams (6-3 260)
    DT-Pascal Jones 6-1 265
    DT-Todd Chandler (6-1 280) (2010)
    DE-Wade Tolbert (6-2 215)
    LB-Kenneth Dilliard (6-0 190) - 4.47
    S-Tevin McCaskill (6-2 180) - 4.34 (4-Star athlete, according to Scout.com.. might be the best Safety in FL)
    CB-KeAndre Williams

Believe it or not, but MNW returns about 10, or so, solid D1 prospects - for the 2009 and 2010 classes. They just need to get stronger on the o-line and need to establish the QB position. Times saw some experience at QB, but I think the general consensus is he's a better DB, than QB. Then again, NMB pressured Times all night. One thing may be certain.. they should be back to form, come mid-season and they could be even better in 2009 with what's coming up the ranks. Make no mistake about it.. this team doesn't hold a candle to the kind of talent MNW had last year. But how many teams in the history of HSFB do? It's a completely different team, as a matter of fact.
    "Oel ngati kameie..."

"Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

I would love, love, love to see SLC vs. MNW Part 2 in 2009.

Belle Glades (FL) plays Abilene (TX) in the season opener in Abilene

All-State

Spring games in Florida are actually taken very seriously and rightly so, they tend to set the tone for the fall. In Florida, you are allowed to practice the entire month of May and then play a full game, just like the regular season, whenever you want in May. It's a great, great, great thing for football and prepping for the upcoming season.

MNW will be very, very good this year, but they probably won't go undefeated again and win state. Apopka-6A from the Orlando area is loaded this year, and they have a great coach. I'm guessing they hand South Panola-MS their first defeat in the last 75 games, we'll see.

But, if SLC played MNW this year, SLC would beat them, no doubt. MNW just lost too much talent to play with a consistent program like SLC.

The teams to watch in Florida from a national perspective:

Apopka-6A, North Miami Beach-6A

Lakeland-5A, St. Thomas Aquinas-5A

Madison County-2A

Pahokee-2B (probably the most interesting school in the nation. They have 650 total students in their school and annually produce a ton of D1 athletes. They are 5 miles north of Belle Glade Central in the Everglades in a town that would make hell look welcoming. The kids have literally nothing but football, faith, and their school...it's eery out there and intimidating, trust me. The mystique and pound for pound talent for the size of their town and school is simply staggering.

And, by the way, 7 on 7 is no good. It's a good workout, but creates terrible habits. The schools that don't focus on it are doing themselves a favor. The offseason is for weights, running, and eating.

Spring games in Florida are actually taken very seriously and rightly so, they tend to set the tone for the fall. In Florida, you are allowed to practice the entire month of May and then play a full game, just like the regular season, whenever you want in May. It's a great, great, great thing for football and prepping for the upcoming season.
    MNW will be very, very good this year, but they probably won't go undefeated again and win state. Apopka-6A from the Orlando area is loaded this year, and they have a great coach. I'm guessing they hand South Panola-MS their first defeat in the last 75 games, we'll see.

But, if SLC played MNW this year, SLC would beat them, no doubt. MNW just lost too much talent to play with a consistent program like SLC.

The teams to watch in Florida from a national perspective:

Apopka-6A, North Miami Beach-6A

Lakeland-5A, St. Thomas Aquinas-5A

Madison County-2A

Pahokee-2B (probably the most interesting school in the nation. They have 650 total students in their school and annually produce a ton of D1 athletes. They are 5 miles north of Belle Glade Central in the Everglades in a town that would make hell look welcoming. The kids have literally nothing but football, faith, and their school...it's eery out there and intimidating, trust me. The mystique and pound for pound talent for the size of their town and school is simply staggering.

And, by the way, 7 on 7 is no good. It's a good workout, but creates terrible habits. The schools that don't focus on it are doing themselves a favor. The offseason is for weights, running, and eating.
    I've always loved Florida's spring set up. Hands down the most advanced in the nation and has been for a long time. I can only imagine what would get accomplished at schools like Katy, Trinity, Plano, Carroll ect.. if we had the same parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    Miami Northwestern (2007 Record - All-World Champs)
    All World?...They didn't prove anything over here..

Destrehan kill em...

LSU TIGERS
    Rummel Raiders

Pahokee-2B (probably the most interesting school in the nation) They are 5 miles north of Belle Glade Central in the Everglades in a town that would make hell look welcoming. The kids have literally nothing but football, faith, and their school...it's eery out there and intimidating, trust me. The mystique and pound for pound talent for the size of their town and school is simply staggering.

Didn't Ray Finkle live there? LACES OUT! DAN!utlaw
    If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results.
    Anthony Robbins

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    I've always loved Florida's spring set up. Hands down the most advanced in the nation and has been for a long time. I can only imagine what would get accomplished at schools like Katy, Trinity, Plano, Carroll ect.. if we had the same parameters.
    Totally agreed! Other states should adopt the same policy on spring football that Florida has...it's win - win, and the state makes money, so they're happy. And, you can practice as many days or as few days in May as you want, and you can play your game whenever you want in May...you just cannot start before May or continue past May. Some schools play full games, some schools play full games, but with restrictions (no blocking kicks, etc), some schools play in Jamborees where 4 or 5 schools will show up and play one half against one school and then another against someone else. It's really a great thing.

I had a coach from Indiana say that one of the main reasons (besides the raw talent) that Florida is one of if not the best states in America for high school football is because of our spring football and what is allowed.

Now, if the FHSAA would get off their butts and allow booster clubs to pay coaches, maybe our PROGRAMS would start catching up with Texas. Won't happen anytime soon though.

Abilene 42
    Glades Central 38

Glades Central is very MNW-ish, but they can't play defense this year.

Administrator

Lakeland and Pahokee are my adopted teams in Florida. I have the Pahokee-Bolles state title game from 98 on film, and Anquan Boldin is one of the best I've ever seen at the HS level. Total beast and I'm glad he's emerged in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post
    Lakeland and Pahokee are my adopted teams in Florida. I have the Pahokee-Bolles state title game from 98 on film, and Anquan Boldin is one of the best I've ever seen at the HS level. Total beast and I'm glad he's emerged in the NFL.
    I'm not sure how anyone who was aware of Pahokee/Glades Central/Immokalee's living situations could NOT root for those kids.

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Lakeland program and all that coach Castle has accomplished there. Their recent run was just as unprecedented in Florida as ours was in Texas. They've got a storied tradition to back up all the recent success, too. Sound familiar?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Lakeland program and all that coach Castle has accomplished there. Their recent run was just as unprecedented in Florida as ours was in Texas. They've got a storied tradition to back up all the recent success, too. Sound familiar?
    I've got a family connection to Lakeland. I've been to Dreadnaught Stadium. Not a big place by any means, but their tradition is second to none.