Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Abilene High have a good team?

All-Galaxy

Default Will Abilene High have a good team?

Just wondering how many they return from last years team? Do they have the type of talent that can play with Belle Glades?

All-Galaxian

Default Re: Will Abilene High have a good team?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman49 View Post
    Just wondering how many they return from last years team? Do they have the type of talent that can play with Belle Glades?
    Abilene returns 7 on defense including state defensive MVP Chris Williams. They lose alot of starters on offense but return alot of guys that saw significant playing time. I believe they do have the type of talent that can play with Belle Glades. We played them in 7 on 7 last summer and granted it's not real football, but we did beat them. Our defense was able to stop them on several different occasions and our offense was able to put up the points.

Abilene will be fine. as AHSeagles pointed out, the strongpoint of the Eagles was their defense this year and alot of it is coming back. O will be bringing in alot of new starters, but many who have seen lots of playing time. It will hurt not having Lackey at the helm, but qb Stephen Warren (coach warrens son) split time with lackey last year in pre-district and got plenty of experience in the 2nd half of several games. wideouts will include seniors austin turman, john reynolds, tevin wiley, and colton law, all who saw pt on the V last year. nathan ashlock is a great athlete who willingly allowed sophomore karsten goodman to start at safety for the betterment of the team and abilene's future, but i wouldnt be surprised if he moved to WR or OLB. he's very fast and has pretty good hands, having 9 INT's his sophomore season on JV. RB Keithy Flye will be gone, but Zach Bass returns and is solid. he will more than likely have 1000 yards by seasons end. and if what i hear is true, sophomore-to-be RB Herschel Simms is supposed to be Abilene's next "Chris Williams-Like" athlete. as for offensive line, Sr. Alec Egan returns but missed most of last season with a broken ankle. Jr. Drew Carroll (TE Matt Carroll's younger brother) will likely be another starter who took snaps for injured players last season. Santos Escobedo (Sr.) will be the center unless he is replaced by a jr. Mitchell Moser (Sr.) will start at guard, and saw limited PT on the V this year. as for the rest, i do not know.

Ratings For the Offense
    QB: A- (Warren is solid and saw time, but mostly against 2's and 3's. i believe he will move up to an A after he proves himself against some solid 1st teamers such as belle glades)

RB: A (This is if the rumor about Simms is true. If not, then i'd have it around B+)

WR: B (Lose alot with McDow and James graduating, but have solid kids who can get the job done. I don't see one that could be a legitimate deep threat, but Abilene's offense doesnt require that so much anyways.)

Offensive Line: B- (Has several young kids returning with some PT in place of injured starters, but lacks size. Speed makes up for lack of size though. More than likely the weak point on the Abilene Offense, but that was the general assumption about last seasons O-Line with Kegan Carey, Grant Zeller, and Mitch Harvey graduating. Last seasons O-Line, despite many injuries, played fantastically and was possibly the Eagle's strongpoint when all were healthy. I look for next year's O-Line to be much the same.)

All-Galaxian

Quote Originally Posted by AE 8008 View Post
    Abilene will be fine. as AHSeagles pointed out, the strongpoint of the Eagles was their defense this year and alot of it is coming back. O will be bringing in alot of new starters, but many who have seen lots of playing time. It will hurt not having Lackey at the helm, but qb Stephen Warren (coach warrens son) split time with lackey last year in pre-district and got plenty of experience in the 2nd half of several games. wideouts will include seniors austin turman, john reynolds, tevin wiley, and colton law, all who saw pt on the V last year. nathan ashlock is a great athlete who willingly allowed sophomore karsten goodman to start at safety for the betterment of the team and abilene's future, but i wouldnt be surprised if he moved to WR or OLB. he's very fast and has pretty good hands, having 9 INT's his sophomore season on JV. RB Keithy Flye will be gone, but Zach Bass returns and is solid. he will more than likely have 1000 yards by seasons end. and if what i hear is true, sophomore-to-be RB Herschel Simms is supposed to be Abilene's next "Chris Williams-Like" athlete. as for offensive line, Sr. Alec Egan returns but missed most of last season with a broken ankle. Jr. Drew Carroll (TE Matt Carroll's younger brother) will likely be another starter who took snaps for injured players last season. Santos Escobedo (Sr.) will be the center unless he is replaced by a jr. Mitchell Moser (Sr.) will start at guard, and saw limited PT on the V this year. as for the rest, i do not know.

Ratings For the Offense
    QB: A- (Warren is solid and saw time, but mostly against 2's and 3's. i believe he will move up to an A after he proves himself against some solid 1st teamers such as belle glades)

RB: A (This is if the rumor about Simms is true. If not, then i'd have it around B+)

WR: B (Lose alot with McDow and James graduating, but have solid kids who can get the job done. I don't see one that could be a legitimate deep threat, but Abilene's offense doesnt require that so much anyways.)

Offensive Line: B- (Has several young kids returning with some PT in place of injured starters, but lacks size. Speed makes up for lack of size though. More than likely the weak point on the Abilene Offense, but that was the general assumption about last seasons O-Line with Kegan Carey, Grant Zeller, and Mitch Harvey graduating. Last seasons O-Line, despite many injuries, played fantastically and was possibly the Eagle's strongpoint when all were healthy. I look for next year's O-Line to be much the same.)
    Ashlock did move to OLB. So it's him and Justin Carroll on the outside with Chris and Parker McCay in the middle. That's a pretty awesome looking group of linebackers. As for Simms, the hype is all true. He played with the JV as a freshman and tore up opponents. I watched him squat 400 lbs and run a legit 4.5 40.

Quote Originally Posted by AHSeagles View Post
    Ashlock did move to OLB. So it's him and Justin Carroll on the outside with Chris and Parker McCay in the middle. That's a pretty awesome looking group of linebackers. As for Simms, the hype is all true. He played with the JV as a freshman and tore up opponents. I watched him squat 400 lbs and run a legit 4.5 40.
    i assumed Ashlock would, and McCay would be in the middle. thats a BIG group of linebackers. Id dare to say probably the best in the state next year.
    Correct me if i am wrong:

Chris Williams 6'1 230 4.6
    Justin Carroll 6'2 180 4.7
    Parker McCay 6'3 230 dont know 40 time
    Nathan Ashlock 6'2 200 4.6

All-State

I will say wrong! Only real proven one is Williams and maybe carroll. the others are all potential. mccay will have to work on mobility, strength and mental toughness from what I hear. this core will have alot to work to do to match some of the years past LB corps. I do think with exception of Mccay the corp is pretty fast!
    Last edited by D-5; 04-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-5 View Post
    I will say wrong! Only real proven one is Williams and maybe carroll. the others are all potential. mccay will have to work on mobility, strength and mental toughness from what I hear. this core will have alot to work to do to match some of the years past LB corps. I do think with exception of Mccay the corp is pretty fast!
    i dont know about McCay's mental toughness, but the strength is there. i do believe he needs to work on his speed though. i believe this group has the potential to be as good if not better than the previous groups

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman49 View Post
    I can't say about Belle Glades. Abilene has a program. It has been in place for a while. Don't wait for them to drop. If the new district wants to win they must upgrade.
    Last edited by mojotrain; 04-07-2008 at 01:01 PM.

2008 Pick 'Em Champion; All-State

I think Lackey will be missed more than people think. That kid could really play. Is he going to play football in college? Defense was very impressive last year and with 7 coming back...they should be real good again. Best of luck.

All-Galaxian

i assumed Ashlock would, and McCay would be in the middle. thats a BIG group of linebackers. Id dare to say probably the best in the state next year.
    Correct me if i am wrong:

Chris Williams 6'1 230 4.6
    Justin Carroll 6'2 180 4.7
    Parker McCay 6'3 230 dont know 40 time
    Nathan Ashlock 6'2 200 4.6
    I think Williams ran around a 4.6 4.5 somewhere in there.
    I don't know about McCay but I'd assume 4.8.
    Carroll ran a high 4.4 low 4.5.
    Ashlock had the fastest 40 time at AHS this year with a 4.43 average!

All-Galaxian

Quote Originally Posted by D-5 View Post
    You're correct in saying not proven. But on raw potential, this group would be up there with just about any. They're all fast and smart and that's alot of beef up the middle.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by AHSeagles View Post
    I think Williams ran around a 4.6 4.5 somewhere in there.
    I don't know about McCay but I'd assume 4.8.
    Carroll ran a high 4.4 low 4.5.
    Ashlock had the fastest 40 time at AHS this year with a 4.43 average!
    McCay doesn't run under a 5.00, Williams is a 4.5, Carrol is a 4.5 Ashlock does have the fastest forty time of the linebackers, but he is sorta ackward doesn't have great lateral quickness. As far as Simms goes he does run a 4.5 as a freshman and actually Maxed out at 500 not 400. The d-line will be so-so if they cant get Butler back on the team. Secondary should be fine but i have no clue who will replace Harris. I dont think Walding can do it because he is looking much like a twig these days.

Offense will stuggle alot. Warren is a good passer in drills but im not sure how he will perform under the lights. Lets pray the O-line gives him time. As far as the O-line goes Alec Egan and Moser look to be the best, Drew Carrol will start but he is very weak for his size. The JV Qb maxed out the same as him in squat. Santos is actually going to guard and Chris Seballos a Jr is going to center. The recievers are small and unproven except Wiley, he should do fine. At running back Bass is lightning quick but not very strong. Zack Mosely the jv running back is solid and So is Simms, both of them fast and very strong.

How the season will go depends on how the Offense responds and develops through the season.

All-Galaxian

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefootball11 View Post
    McCay doesn't run under a 5.00, Williams is a 4.5, Carrol is a 4.5 Ashlock does have the fastest forty time of the linebackers, but he is sorta ackward doesn't have great lateral quickness. As far as Simms goes he does run a 4.5 as a freshman and actually Maxed out at 500 not 400. The d-line will be so-so if they cant get Butler back on the team. Secondary should be fine but i have no clue who will replace Harris. I dont think Walding can do it because he is looking much like a twig these days.

Offense will stuggle alot. Warren is a good passer in drills but im not sure how he will perform under the lights. Lets pray the O-line gives him time. As far as the O-line goes Alec Egan and Moser look to be the best, Drew Carrol will start but he is very weak for his size. The JV Qb maxed out the same as him in squat. Santos is actually going to guard and Chris Seballos a Jr is going to center. The recievers are small and unproven except Wiley, he should do fine. At running back Bass is lightning quick but not very strong. Zack Mosely the jv running back is solid and So is Simms, both of them fast and very strong.

How the season will go depends on how the Offense responds and develops through the season.
    I wasn't real sure what McCay ran I was just giving a guess. I think the offense will definitely be the weak point of the team, but I don't think they'll hurt us down the stretch. Coach Warren always seems to find ways to put the ball in end zone and I predict this year won't be much different. I think we'll have to rely more on the run game rather than the passing game however. The O-Line might not give a whole lot of throwing time, but they have that zone run down pretty good and like you said we have 3 solid running backs to carry the load.

All-District

Yeah, Im just one of those fans who is sorta negative before i see the actual results. Spring will help give us a better picture.

Quote Originally Posted by chop44 View Post
    I think Lackey will be missed more than people think. That kid could really play. Is he going to play football in college? Defense was very impressive last year and with 7 coming back...they should be real good again. Best of luck.
    Lackey - WTAMU last i heard. might play either qb or safety.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefootball11 View Post

please dont tell me PJ Butler is off the team....

plus, i wouldnt be surprised to see Butler (if he's still on the team) move to defensive end along with Jr. Hunter Cooke and see John Paul Englerth (6'3 280ish) plug up the middle. the farm boy squatted over 600 last i heard

plus, i wouldnt be surprised to see Butler (if he's still on the team) move to defensive end along with Jr. Hunter Cooke and see John Paul Englerth (6'3 280ish) plug up the middle. the farm boy squatted over 600 last i heard
    JP did more than that; he broke Marcus Brooks' old record.

All-District

JP is very strong indeed. He also is very immature. He has been sent to iss more than once because he was playing his gameboy in class. I dont think he is mature enough to play the game. I know the kid personally. Great kid but his intellect doesn't come close to matching his brute strength. PJ is off the team until his grades come in at the end of this week. The kid is a great athlete but has a serious issue with his priorities.
    Last edited by eaglefootball11; 04-07-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Banned

If they beat SLC.