Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Madison paralyzed player David Edwards in coma

Default Former Madison paralyzed player David Edwards has died

Former Madison Footballer, Paralysis Victim In Hospital

SAN ANTONIO -- A former Madison High School football player who suffered a paralyzing injury in 2003 was admitted to the hospital after he stopped breathing late Monday.

David Edwards borke two vertebrae in his neck during a playoff game five years ago and was paralyzed from the shoulders down.

Edwards stopped breathing at his home last night and medical responders had to perform CPR to revive him, according to two sources who spoke with KSAT 12's Greg Simmons.
    Click here to find out more!

Edwards is currently in stable condition in the intensive care unit at Northeast Methodist Hospital, according to the sources. Hospital officials have not confirmed his condition.

At the time of his injury, doctors said Edwards would likely battle with pnuemonia while confined to his wheelchair.
    Greg Simmons has since updated his condition and said he's now in a coma. I know both the Madison and Austin Westlake communities really reached out to him after the accident and it looked like David was on the right path. My prayers are with his family.

http://www.ksat.com/sports/15418056/detail.html

Last edited by Mr. Sir Charger; 02-27-2008 at 02:32 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

Default Re: Former Madison paralyzed player David Edwards in coma

David is always on our prayer list...
    We'll pay him extra attention this week...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.

All-District

I'd met David a couple of times - reading/hearing this made me a little choked up inside... I wish him the best.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Prayers for David and his family - what an inspiration.
    Go Pack!

All-Galaxian

I'll definitely be praying for David and his family. I hope he ends up ok. Stuff like this is sad to hear about.

All-American

The Westlake Chaparral community will be praying hard for David and his family.

Starter

My thoughts and prayers are with you David.

My thoughts and prayers are with David and his family!!!!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rock Mom View Post
    My thoughts and prayers are with David and his family!!!!
    Same here.

I never met the guy but I did see him a few times at Madison games when I lived in SA.

express news story from the paper this morning

HS football: Paralyzed former Madison player slips into coma

Web Posted: 02/27/2008 12:21 AM CST

David Flores
    and Tom Orsborn
    San Antonio Express-News

A former Madison football player who suffered a paralyzing injury in a 2003 playoff game was in critical condition Tuesday night at Northeast Methodist Hospital after slipping into a coma.

Paramedics transported David Edwards, 20, to the hospital after he stopped breathing late Monday. Edwards' mother, Faye Stanton, and a neighbor performed CPR on Edwards before the paramedics arrived.

Stanton said Edwards, who has battled pneumonia since the fall, stopped breathing shortly after going to bed Monday night.

"It was about 10:30," Stanton said. "He called me and said, 'I've got to cough.' That's the last thing he said."

Cedric Stanton, Edwards' stepfather, said paramedics arrived at the family's Northeast Side home in about 10 minutes.

The paramedics revived Edwards shortly thereafter, Faye Stanton said.

"After they told me that, I expected David to look up and say, 'Hi, Mom,'" Stanton said, her voice trailing off.

Madison football coach Jim Streety visited Edwards, whose 21st birthday is Saturday, at the hospital Tuesday afternoon.

"At this point, all we can do is hope and pray," said Streety, who has remained close to Edwards and his family. "He has battled this and kept a magnificent attitude. His family is the same way."

Eddie Canales, co-founder of the Gridiron Heroes Spinal Cord Injury Organization, was among a small group of close friends who gathered at the hospital. His wife, Pita, and youngest son, Chris, also were there.

Chris Canales has been paralyzed since suffering a spinal-cord injury while playing in a football game for San Marcos Baptist Academy in 2001.

"This hits us hard because we're like family," Eddie Canales said.

Edwards was a junior defensive back when he snapped the fourth vertebra in his neck while making a tackle against Austin Westlake receiver Coy Aune on Nov. 15, 2003.

Aune, now a senior at Texas, and his mother, Marci, drove from Austin to visit Edwards and lend their support.

"We'll always share a bond," Coy Aune said. "The way he's lived his life since he got hurt has been amazing. Even when everything went out from under him, he still had a smile on his face. He's taught us how to live life."

Said Marci Aune: "David has a charisma and charm to him that just makes you want to like him. There's a spirit about him. We think of him as one of our own children."

News of Edwards' hospitalization cast a pall over teachers and students at Madison. Since graduating in 2005, Edwards has visited the school often and also has attended Mavericks sporting events regularly.

"We got the word out to everyone this morning, and the mood has been pretty somber," Madison principal Chris Thompson said. "He's a hero to all of us. After his accident, he really dedicated his life to talking to kids. He's such an important part of the Madison community."

Said Madison boys basketball coach John Valenzuela: "He means everything to our community ... "It was very difficult to teach today."

Valenzuela, who also serves as co-pastor of Capilla del Pueblo, said he often sprinkles his sermons with stories about Edwards.

"He is our inspirational story," Valenzuela said. "He'll always say to me, 'Isn't it great to be alive?'"

Streety said he was looking forward to celebrating Edwards' birthday with him.

"I had thought about getting a pizza and maybe dropping by and eating with him," Streety said. "I wanted to get there by Friday, because I knew the family had something planned for Saturday.

"Then, as soon as I got to school this morning, I find out he's in the hospital."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/h...n.3df9c8b.html

Its on mysa.com that he has passed away.

Former Madison football player dies

Web Posted: 02/27/2008 01:47 PM CST

Express-News

David Edwards, a former Madison High School football player who suffered a paralyzing injury in a 2003 playoff game, died early Wednesday afternoon at Northeast Methodist Hospital, Edwards' grandfather Lorenzo Kelly said.

He was 20.

Edwards had stopped breathing Monday night. Faye Stanton, Edwards' mother, and a neighbor performed CPR on Edwards before paramedics arrived at their Northeast Side home that night. He slipped into a coma and was listed in critical condition at the hospital Tuesday.

Stanton said Edwards had been battling pneumonia since last fall.

Edwards was a junior defensive back at Madison when he snapped the fourth vertebra in his neck while making a tackle in a game against Austin Westlake on Nov. 15, 2003.

He would have turned 21 Saturday.

This is a very sad ending for SA area and Texas football.

Administrator

Thoughts and prayers for David's family and the Madison community. This is a sad day.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Wow...Hate to hear this.......RIP David Edwards
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

All-District

RIP David Edwards.
    Dale Jarrett Rules!

RIP David, the Madison community will MISS you. You were a GREAT inspiration to all who met you and may you now rest in peace. You are painfree now David ... Thank you for being a GREAT friend to my kids ! :cry

Its sad to see such a great kid go. God needed another angel, He sure did pick a good one. RIP
    SV....The Buffalo Bills of TXHSFB
    Lets get it shall we?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

I have not posted on here in a while but I had to come on here to say to the Madison Community and the Edwards Family if you read this that the whole Rios Family has said a little prayer for him every night . When my dad told me about David going to the hospital I felt my heart sink into my stomach. I was lucky enough to meet him once when I was in high school and I could not beleive the Attitude David had while in a wheel chair. He truly was and still will be an insperation to all athletes in the SA area for years to come.Not just as an athlete but as a person as well.God has one good angel on his side now

RIP David Edwards
    Trey and Trent Rios will shed a tear of sorrow tonight as we pray for the family and those effected more so than us.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddg
    CKE..the best smart a.., and the quickest wit, always there to throw a wrench if a poster gets too cocky.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

True character shows up in some of the most impossible circumstances. God bless David, his family and the community of friends who have been fortunate enough to meet him.
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."