Thread: SI article on McGuffie

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Default SI article on McGuffie

Forgive me if it's been posted already:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ube/index.html
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Default Re: SI article on McGuffie

great article
    "PROTECT THE FAMILY!"
    TTHL
    D.P.S

All-Galaxy

Good read

Administrator

Very good read. I'll be rooting for Sam at Meechigan.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer CyFallsMom's Avatar

Excellent article!! And to think I was there when it happened and I didn't even see the hurdle - I was on the sideline at that game, on the Cy Fair side, and, because of the angle I had (which was on the other side of that play behind the defense) all I could see was his head bob up and back down and everyone catching their breath simultaneously in the stands. Oh well, I can always say I was there within yards of the play AND on the edge of the field as well!! I hope he does great in college! Michigan is getting a gamer that's for sure.
    Last edited by CyFallsMom; 02-26-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    Cypress Falls Golden Eagles

"Being a Princess isn't all it's cracked up to be"
    Princess Diana

It's an amazing event. It makes rock concerts look like tea parties"
    John Winston Lennon on Monday Night Football 1974

Good Stuff. I hope he does well, even at Michicant.
    GO PACK IN '2014

Funny how they always referred to him as McGuffie, and not Sam. Great article though. Did not know that part about his family, that shows a tight-nit group that will sacrifice a lot for one another.
    GEAUX TIGERS

Stratford Spartans
    SPARTAN PRIDE

great article! I'll be rooting for him and Rich Rodriguiz at Michigan!
    WagnerDad

Yes, nice article and I wish him well. But... no one thinks it's a little odd that his family is moving with him? And that it seems that he based his decision on this? He said that nothing is tying his family to Cypress. No one has a job? The brother & sister don't have friends or interests at their schools? How did Sam become responsible for his family at 18? Did you want your family to move to college with you?

Questions... questions... As a parent, it seems odd to me.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer CyFallsMom's Avatar

That didn't really strike me as odd at all. They are, by all accounts I've heard, a very close knit family and why not move with him and enjoy actually getting to watch their son play football. I would do the same thing in a heartbeat if my child wanted me to. I would go to the ends of the earth for my kids, especially if they wanted me to, and just about have. A house is just a house and a job is just a job - you only have your kids once so they probably had it set up so they could go. It didn't sound like he minds at all that they are coming - to each his own if you ask me. I don't think he's responsible for his family or their happiness at all - he is just part of his family and their happiness.

Also, I believe he has extended family up there too - his dad is from there or something to that effect.
    Last edited by CyFallsMom; 02-29-2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Cypress Falls Golden Eagles

"Being a Princess isn't all it's cracked up to be"
    Princess Diana

It's an amazing event. It makes rock concerts look like tea parties"
    John Winston Lennon on Monday Night Football 1974

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer shooter's Avatar
    a Nice Home in San Antonio and a Marriott in Dallas

Great artical but even better photo....

Oh wait I took that photo!!!!!

Thanks for posting the article dada.

It always seems to be an enlightening experience to read something new about they guy. I think many of us can learn a thing or two about his determination & drive, as well as the bond he & his family have. The whole McGuffie experience sounds like a worthwhile movie in the making. I have that feeling he will be yet another great success story at Michigan. Why do i feel that way? Because his most prized possession has his back,..his family. McGuffie is not only doing this for himself, but for the very people that share a roof with him. And from the looks of it, i doubt he would let any of them down. Sam has his mind set on being one of the best, and you just can't hold back that kind of determination.

I too am looking forward to seeing Sam play at Michigan. What's even more exhilarating, is knowing he's going to get even better than he already is.
    Bobcat Fight Never Dies

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Amazing to me these guys go across the nation to play ball - really sad.
    Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack View Post
    Amazing to me these guys go across the nation to play ball - really sad.
    Nothing sad about a Texas kid getting a scholarship to go to school in Ann Arbor. It's a great school and if Sam busts a$$, goes to class and gets a degree there, it will be a difference maker in his life, regardless of whether he ever makes a dime playing football.

Yes, Texas has some pretty good schools, but I choose to see the compliment paid to Texas high school football when the best QB in the state heads to Stanford and the two best RBs in the state are headed to Michigan and UCLA. Kids graduating from high school should take the opportunity to broaden themselves and go to school in some other part of the country if they can.

UT and A&M are good schools but the market for high school talent is now national and not regional. If UT and A&M want to dominate the Texas talent market, they have to put forward a more recruit-friendly face.

I see it over and over again, especially with UT. If they perceive out-of-state competition for a top athlete, they often withdraw and pretend they aren't interested in him. I guess they want to be among the earliest to put together their class, so they don't tolerate kids who are shopping around.
    "It's amazing how much can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."