Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More impressive Todd Dodge or Steve Lineweaver

Starter

Default More impressive Todd Dodge or Steve Lineweaver

What is more impressive to you, Todd Dodge winning multiple state championships and changing the way high school football is played in the state of Texas but doing it at one school and not really having much success anywhere else. Or what Steve Lineweaver has done winning multiple state championships and doing it at multiple schools. Just a thought both are great coaches but which is more impressive to you.

Default Re: More impressive Todd Dodge or Steve Lineweaver

Well if you were to ask Coach Lineweaver he'd probably tell you he's not as good a coach as Eddy Peach, so the man himself may defer to Dodge, he's as humble as they come. But if y'all should remember anything Coach Lineweaver ain't done yet...it's just 3 and counting....
    Last edited by TrojanHorse03; 01-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    TRINITY TROJANS
    RESPECT EVERYBODY FEAR NO ONE HAVE FUN!

Dodge. 4 out of 5, and 3 in a row is unprecedented at the 5A level.
    The Original BAMF

I just glad both made a coaching "stop" at Carroll!
    It all started on Chigger Hill!

Boss Hawgette

Quote Originally Posted by charger85 View Post
    What is more impressive to you, Todd Dodge winning multiple state championships and changing the way high school football is played in the state of Texas but doing it at one school and not really having much success anywhere else. Or what Steve Lineweaver has done winning multiple state championships and doing it at multiple schools. Just a thought both are great coaches but which is more impressive to you.
    Apples or oranges, oranges or apples...both are impressive in their own right.

I will not dignify this thread with a response. Both are special in their own way.

Wait......I just did.

All-Galaxy

They both are good at what they do. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They do what works for their program.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

I love them both, period. Dodge's impact was the most historic and made the bigger splash, one that may never be equaled. Lineweaver is the most underappreciated, great coach of recent history and, perhaps, all time. He's not done a Trinity. The man is simply one of the best program builders of all time. At Carroll, he ran the offensive side of the ball, make no mistake. We were near unstoppable. Folks forget about his three rings from Carroll when they give his total. You know what Commerce was before Steve Lineweaver arrived? They were a team that got beat 56-0 in the first round of the playoffs, consistently. I know because it was us who spanked that arse a few times. Lineweaver arrives and all that stops. He was but a handful of points from having most of Sealy's titles. So it comes as no suprise that he took a campus like Trinity's, unified it and raised it to a new level. No offense to the long time Trojans, I know you've had some good teams in the past, but no coached has ever harvested that campus like Lineweaver has.Whether you pick a side or stand on the fence, there is no wrong choice here.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    I love them both, period. Dodge's impact was the most historic and made the bigger splash, one that may never be equaled. Lineweaver is the most underappreciated, great coach of recent history and, perhaps, all time. He's not done a Trinity. The man is simply one of the best program builders of all time. At Carroll, he ran the offensive side of the ball, make no mistake. We were near unstoppable. Folks forget about his three rings from Carroll when they give his total. You know what Commerce was before Steve Lineweaver arrived? They were a team that got beat 56-0 in the first round of the playoffs, consistently. I know because it was us who spanked that arse a few times. Lineweaver arrives and all that stops. He was but a handful of points from having most of Sealy's titles. So it comes as no suprise that he took a campus like Trinity's, unified it and raised it to a new level. No offense to the long time Trojans, I know you've had some good teams in the past, but no coached has ever harvested that campus like Lineweaver has.Whether you pick a side or stand on the fence, there is no wrong choice here.
    Perfectly said.
    TRINITY TROJANS
    RESPECT EVERYBODY FEAR NO ONE HAVE FUN!

All-Galaxy

Enough said!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Not to be a grinch this evening, but I think I am correct in stating that Lineweaver has two rings from Carroll. He was gone for the third, even though it was still most definitely his offense out there. That aside, both he and Dodge have proven themselves tobe great high school coaches.

SLC93 said it all. Very completely. Done!

Lineweaver is 66. I wonder how many more seasons he will coach.
    Super B
    2 Peter 2:19
    While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. - NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF cowboy View Post
    Dodge. 4 out of 5, and 3 in a row is unprecedented at the 5A level.
    Not that special in the split title era. Austin Reagan won 3 titles in 4 years at the top level, which was very impressive when you consider only district champions made the playoffs, so every win was over a district champion, not 3rd or 4th place teams.

I think both have proven themselves as winners. Did respect the discipline Todd Dodges teams had coming on the field to warm-up.
    Allen Eagles
    2008, 2012 & 2013 5A Div. I State Champions

2001, 2003, 2006-2013 District Champions & Plano City Champs

Both are great and HOF guys........as long as Coach Lineweaver doesn't wear that floral shirt. My eyes still hurt from that.
    Describes a grand synthesis of a long series of changes in the assembly and composition of energy, matter, and life .

Quote Originally Posted by titus211 View Post
    Not that special in the split title era.
    Yes.... it's so common that it happens all the ti... wait.... never. No one else has ever done it.

Good call.

Both men are impressive on and off the field.
    However what Lineweaver has accomplished as a body of work to me is more impressive.
    Not taking anything away from TD but SL has done it at multiple schools.

I love TD but to say he changed the way Texas HS football was played is a little too much.
    There were teams that were running the spread with precision before TD did, take a peek at what Briles was doing at Stephenville and Harrell at Ennis before TD was doing it.
    He may have done it better(debatable) but he was certainly not the first.
    I THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT NONE OF MY KIDS HAD ANY INTEREST IN BAND

MY KIDS THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A JORT WEARING LYING LOSER DAD LIKE TJW

HOPING TO MOVE UP TO MARIS NEXT SEASON

Quote Originally Posted by charger85 View Post
    How did he change the way high school football was played in this state? Btw....I gotta pick Lineweaver. He was able to have success at multiple schools like others have said and of course he won those championships at Trinity in 5A. Although they were in 3A, SLC had a lot of titles and a winning tradition before TD came to town. So, I think Lineweaver's record and success over the years have been more impressive.
    LSU
    LUFKIN PANTHERS

2001 5A DIVISION II State Champs

R.I.P Coach Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpants View Post
    Both men are impressive on and off the field.
    However what Lineweaver has accomplished as a body of work to me is more impressive.
    Not taking anything away from TD but SL has done it at multiple schools.

I love TD but to say he changed the way Texas HS football was played is a little too much.
    There were teams that were running the spread with precision before TD did, take a peek at what Briles was doing at Stephenville and Harrell at Ennis before TD was doing it.

He may have done it better(debatable) but he was certainly not the first.
    Agree.
    LSU
    LUFKIN PANTHERS

2001 5A DIVISION II State Champs

R.I.P Coach Outlaw