Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1967 State Championship Game footage - Austin Reagan vs. Abilene Cooper

All-District

Default 1967 State Championship Game footage - Austin Reagan vs. Abilene Cooper

Another tough loss to an Austin-area school.

http://www.statesman.com/news/mplayer/m/49046

Default Re: 1967 State Championship Game footage - Austin Reagan vs. Abilene Cooper

Cool video on some of Texas H/S football history.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Bobcat Fight Never Dies

All-District

Default Re: 1967 State Championship Game footage - Austin Reagan vs. Abilene Cooper

In fact, only 12 miles separates Austin Reagan High School from Pflugerville High School in the north part of Austin.

Did they not Kick Field Goals in the 60's - Field goal would have won it! - Actually he was in for score that was easy to see Cooper was Robbed!

This was only Reagans 3rd season. They went on to win the state title in '68 and '70.
    I need a new signature

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo_Mojo View Post
    Did they not Kick Field Goals in the 60's - Field goal would have won it! - Actually he was in for score that was easy to see Cooper was Robbed!
    The story goes that Coach Green sent the field goal kicker on the field, but Mildren didn't see him and called the quarterback sneak on his own. Also, the kicker had missed an extra point earlier in the game.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Leander 6136 View Post
    This was only Reagans 3rd season. They went on to win the state title in '68 and '70.
    Cooper had another great team in 1969, but lost a 0-0 tie on penetrations to eventual state champ Wichita Falls in another infamous playoff game.

Also, I noticed that Emory Bellard's son was the quarterback for one of Reagan's state championship squads.

All-District

Highland Park's current head coach, Randy Allen, played for Cooper in this game. Does anyone remember what number he was?

Quote Originally Posted by Leander 6136 View Post
    I remember sitting in the stands in San Angelo when Reagan beat Permian in 70 - I was in 4th grade, and it was the first time I experienced depression setting in after a loss.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer CyFallsMom's Avatar

Boy do I remember those old Reagan teams!! They were some of the best. We played in the state championship the year prior to this - 1966 - I think we played San Angelo. Those were the days guys!! I was 7 when this game took place and I was just as avid a fan as I am now! But these images make me feel so OLD!!!
    Cypress Falls Golden Eagles

"Being a Princess isn't all it's cracked up to be"
    Princess Diana

It's an amazing event. It makes rock concerts look like tea parties"
    John Winston Lennon on Monday Night Football 1974

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

It still sucks. I remember the next morning paper asking my Dad why those boys were crying in the paper.
    Go Pack!

All-American

I enjoyed reading the Statesman article when it came out yesterday, but man, it must hurt the current Reagan kids to see that on the front page. We beat them in the first game of the season this year, but it was one of those victories that you just file away and quickly move on (72-0). Sadly, like several AISD schools, they have much bigger problems to worry about than football.

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo_Mojo View Post
    I have seen the footage time and time again over the years and I really think Mildren scored- and I will always believe that.
    "We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." ~Aesop, Greek slave & fable author

All-District

For all of you trivia buffs, here is an interesting read about Jack Mildren: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mildren

He has had a remarkable career on and off the football field.

If Mildren made it in, you sure couldn't tell it from the film. Of course, all of Abilene believes they were robbed, but there was nothing conclusive about that old film.

My father was the umpire in that game and he said the head linesman who made that call was emphatic about him not making it --- but it was obviously close.

What a finish. And some wide-open football given that it was 1967. Very entertaining.
    "It's amazing how much can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack View Post
    It still sucks. I remember the next morning paper asking my Dad why those boys were crying in the paper.
    I don't know what game you're talking about. They didn't cry in football back in those days. They had Vietnam to worry about.

All-District

Interesting tidbit of irony:

Watching Cooper run Nebraska's exact Power-I offense in this footage (which Cooper ran for many years), and then watching replays of the 1971 OU-Nebraska Game of the Century, I'm reminded that in college, Mildren and Harrison played against that exact same offense when they played against Nebraska.

All-District

And Cooper ran Nebraska's exact 5-2 defense.

that was my dad's senior year. he still talks about those guys. wasn't a player but went to all those games. the Raiders won in 67, 68 and 1970. in 69 they put up a 9-1 record, but didnt make the playoffs.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by caesarscott View Post
    that was my dad's senior year. he still talks about those guys. wasn't a player but went to all those games. the Raiders won in 67, 68 and 1970. in 69 they put up a 9-1 record, but didnt make the playoffs.
    Incredible that they beat Cooper once and Permian twice.