Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesquite Skeeters

Banned

Default Mesquite Skeeters

The Mesquite ISD is one of the most respected districts in the state. I know some from around the state and even in the Metro area dont know much about them, or even where it is. Here are some facts.

Mesquite Won the 5A Div. I state football championship in 2001
    Around that time Mesquite Horn was opened to serve the students and became a 4A school.
    That had an impact on Athletics throughout the district.
    They now have five High Schools; 3 in 5A, and two in 4A
    The total in the high schools at the last reporting period was 10,310.5, or 2070 average per school in the top four grades.
    They have some of the best facilities in the state. The stadiums include an updated, state of the art Hanby, and one of the best in the state, 20,000 seat Memorial.
    They have one of the only district owned, public radio stations, KEOM, FM, 88.5. that is mostly run by students, and covers most of the Metroplex.
    The academics are VERY GOOD.

The Skeeters were put in the tough 12 5A district and have struggled. They seem to get better late in the season. They always have very good athletes.
    GO SKEETERS!!!!!
    Last edited by grayowl60; 11-19-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Mesquite Skeeters

Nice post.

This is their time of the year. The Skeeters always seem to put it together towards the last bit of the regular season and usually are a tough out in the playoffs. This is one of their better classes since the '99-'01 teams and they have been playing really good defense as of late. Their offense took a hit earlier in the season when Jeremy Hernandez was lost for the year, but they have had some time to get it back on track. The Skeeters are my darkhorse in Div. I, and they have a big game Saturday in the re-match with Plano.

Go Skeeters!

Default Re: Mesquite Skeeters

What is the story with Kelly Page - Looks like he is the back-up now...I expected him to have a huge year...

Grayowl60, that was very nice of you. Although we are no longer in the running, we will continue to cheer on the Skeeters in 5A and the West Mesquite Wranglers in 4A. I love the community spirit in Mesquite. I really miss being a part of the Garland district and most of us still wish the best for our neighbors in Garland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcneilmavs 07 View Post
    What is the story with Kelly Page - Looks like he is the back-up now...I expected him to have a huge year...
    He has been kind of quiet this year and has struggled at times. I know they have been playing Jr Luke Halpin a lot as well. We'll see what he does in the playoffs. Both QBs are plenty capable.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by NMHS fan View Post
    He has been kind of quiet this year and has struggled at times. I know they have been playing Jr Luke Halpin a lot as well. We'll see what he does in the playoffs. Both QBs are plenty capable.
    In the whuppin they gave us (Tyler Lee) Kelly still looked a little gimpy - as in not quited as fast as before his injury last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    In the whuppin they gave us (Tyler Lee) Kelly still looked a little gimpy - as in not quited as fast as before his injury last year.
    That's interesting. I have often wondered if he was back at 100% this season. Hopefully he is fine and will be at or near full speed for Saturday.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by NMHS fan View Post
    That's interesting. I have often wondered if he was back at 100% this season. Hopefully he is fine and will be at or near full speed for Saturday.
    I definitly don't think Page is back 100%. Halpin started and played the majority of the game. They seemed to bring Page in in short yardage run type situations. He almost looked like he still favors that leg abit to me even just walking off the field.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grayowl60 View Post
    The Mesquite ISD is one of the most respected districts in the state. I know some from around the state and even in the Metro area dont know much about them, or even where it is. Here are some facts.

Mesquite Won the 5A Div. I state football championship in 2001
    Around that time Mesquite Horn was opened to serve the students and became a 4A school.
    That had an impact on Athletics throughout the district.
    They now have five High Schools; 3 in 5A, and two in 4A
    The total in the high schools at the last reporting period was 10,310.5, or 2070 average per school in the top four grades.
    They have some of the best facilities in the state. The stadiums include an updated, state of the art Hanby, and one of the best in the state, 20,000 seat Memorial.
    They have one of the only district owned, public radio stations, KEOM, FM, 88.5. that is mostly run by students, and covers most of the Metroplex.
    The academics are VERY GOOD.

The Skeeters were put in the tough 12 5A district and have struggled. They seem to get better late in the season. They always have very good athletes.
    GO SKEETERS!!!!!
    I look forward to your district review of the PISD. I'm sure you will be fair and balanced.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Plano Wildcat Fan View Post
    I look forward to your district review of the PISD. I'm sure you will be fair and balanced.
    Screboard? Recent Championships? Recent Playoff record? Oh, it must be coaching, I forgot.
    What was that again about only Seniors and Juniors allowed to play varsity?
    "for all intents and purposes" duh
    Last edited by grayowl60; 11-19-2007 at 01:09 PM.

I'm looking forward to another great game between two great teams. Maroon out!

I love KEOM!

Scout Teamer

I love KEOM too. This info is from KEOM's wedsite!

Mesquite High School

1941: Mesquite High School won its first district championship in football in this year. They had a record of 9-2,6-0. The Skeeters were unscored on in district play. They lost to Ft. Worth Handley in the playoffs 26-14.

1974: District 8-4A Champs. 11-1-3, 7-0-1 in district play. Their one tie in district was to Richardson Pearce 14-14.
    Bi-District: MHS 21-14 over Irving McArthur.
    Area: Playing at Hanby Stadium in front of 12,000 the Skeeters beat WF Rider 14-0. Rider came in undefeated at 11-0 and was the #1 team in the state prior to taking this loss from MHS.
    Quarter Finals: MHS vs. Amarillo Palo Duro. Final score 10-10. Skeeters advanced on penetrations.
    State Semi-Finals: The "Fog Bowl." A heavy fog rolled in at the Cotton Bowl during the game. MHS 14, Carter 12.
    State Finals: Brazoswood 22, MHS 12.

Prior to 1980, MHS had only made the football playoffs two times. The Skeeters qualified for post season play three times in the '80's.

1983: 6-5-1,4-2-1. MHS and NM played on the last week of the regular season for the second place playoff spot from district 9-5A. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. The Skeeters advanced on first downs.
    Bi-District: MHS 23, Spruce 7.
    Area: Plano 28, MHS 3.

1988: Under second year head coach Mickey Delamar, the Skeeters finished second in district 9-5A. They started the year 1-3 in non district play, but rebounded to a 4-2 district record. Overall MHS was 5-6,4-2.
    Bi District game in 1988- Samuell 6, MHS 3.

1989: Skeeters district 9-5A champs after SG had to forfeit district wins. 8-4,5-1.
    Bi District- MHS 41, Skyline 19.
    Area - Grand Prairie 57, MHS 17.

1990 was the first year that the UIL began taking three teams into the playoffs from class 5A.

1992: 8-4-1,5-1-1. Placed second in district 12-5A.
    Bi Dist. Lake Highlands 42, MHS 20.

1993: 5-6, 4-3. Third place in district 12-5A.
    Bi District - LH's 20, MHS 14.

1994: Three teams make the playoffs this year. MHS was 8-3,5-2 (3 rd ).
    Bi Dist. - Plano 29, MHS 19.

1998: Three in playoffs again from MISD. MHS was 9-2, 7-0.
    Bi District Plano 28, MHS 7.

1999: 9-5,4-3. Placed third in district play and then went to the State Semi-Finals.
    Bi District: MHS 38, Plano 7.

Area: MHS 13, Tyler Lee 10.
    Quarter Finals= MHS 29, Bryan 17.
    Semi-Finals played at Ratliff Stadium, Odessa, Texas. Midland Lee 40, MHS 13.

2001: “The Perfect Season!” MHS goes 15-0. Wins 5-A Div. I State Championship.
    Bi District: MHS 16, Plano East 3. (Held Plano East to 5 first downs)
    Area: MHS 21, Tyler Lee 7.
    Quarter Finals: MHS 25, The Woodlands 14.
    Semi- Finals: MHS 28, Keller Fossil Ridge 16.
    State Championship Game: MHS 14, SA Taft 13.

2002: 5-6, 5-2.
    The Skeeters lost the first three games of the season then rebounded to go to the playoffs.
    Bi Dist.: Tyler Lee 21, MHS 14.

2004: The Skeeters started the season at 0-5! They also lost their starting quarterback. The season looked over. But MHS picked a new quarterback, changed offenses and went 4-2 in district play and moved on to the playoffs.
    Bi-District: MHS 51, South Garland 37. The Skeeters had 529 yards of offense vs. the Colonels.
    Area: MHS vs. Carter. MHS 28, Carter 27. QB Dray Johnson had 209 yards rushing and 150 yards passing in this playoff win.
    Regional Quarter Finals: MHS vs. Cedar Park. Steve Harper had a 92 yard kickoff return for a touchdown. Cedar Park advanced to the next round of the playoffs with a 31-28 win over MHS.

2005: The Skeeters had to win on the last week of the season vs. Rockwall to have a chance to claim the 3rd playoff spot from District 12-5A. Horn also had to lose to T. Lee. Both of those things happened and the Skeeters went into the playoffs. The Skeeters beat Rockwall on the last play of the game on a 25 yard TD pass from sophmore QB, Kelly Page to Kris Buerck. MHS finished the regular season at 5-5, 3-3.
    Bi-District: Mesquite vs. Rowlett

2006: MHS ended the regular season 6-4 and went into the playoffs out of dsitrict 12-5A. Bi-District: Beat Skyline 35-7.

Area Game: MHS vs. Allen. The Skeeters recorded over 500 yards of offense in this playoff game at Texas Stadium. They scored 42 points. But the Skeeters lose the game 59-42. Krys Buerk had 9 catches for 234 yards and three touchdowns in his last game of his high school career.
    GO SKEETERS

Good Luck Skeeters. We are pulling for you in Longview.

Hope to see the Skeets do well - we in Garland miss the rivalries and competition with the MISD. Go Skeeters!

Scout Teamer

I liked Hanby Stadium. Just wished it wasn't built so close to the train tracks. It was a bit annoying to hear the train whistle several times during the game. I think I saw more trains in just a few hours at Hanby, than I see in a month around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Plano Wildcat Fan View Post
    That's a good one, I doubt it will be on this thread he is saving us for the trash hour.

The fact is I think greyowl is secretly in love with Plano and idolizes us how could you not 7 state rings, Nat'l champs, the mystique.

For all we know he probably went to Plano back in 1920, but was not good enough to make the team which is why I sense his disdain for the Cats and Maroon!
    Plano Football Decades of Champions
    1965 Plano 20 Edna 17
    1967 Plano 27 San Antonio Randolph 8
    1971 Plano 21 Gregory-Portland 20
    1977 Plano 13 Port Neches-Grove 10
    1986 Plano 24 La Marque 7
    1987 Plano 28 Houston Stratford 21
    1994 Plano 28 Katy 7
    2007 Plano (Basketball Starts) North Shore (Same)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by owlfan 1 View Post
    Hope to see the Skeets do well - we in Garland miss the rivalries and competition with the MISD. Go Skeeters!
    We were never in the same district as Mesquite but I miss our games with them too. We opened up against them from the 2000-2003 seasons.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That's a good one, I doubt it will be on this thread he is saving us for the trash hour.

The fact is I think greyowl is secretly in love with Plano and idolizes us how could you not 7 state rings, Nat'l champs, the mystique.

For all we know he probably went to Plano back in 1920, but was not good enough to make the team which is why I sense his disdain for the Cats and Maroon!
    Yawn, like I said still a smart a$$ punk. My gawd, do you have seven rings too? or is that just your daddy, and suck buddy? Yall always show your class. Have you also moved to Frisco? Oh maybe its Prosper thats the in place these days for Plano odd balls.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by PlanoEastPantherFan View Post
    I liked Hanby Stadium. Just wished it wasn't built so close to the train tracks. It was a bit annoying to hear the train whistle several times during the game. I think I saw more trains in just a few hours at Hanby, than I see in a month around here.
    I personally thought that was the best part of the stadium, gave it a great atmosphere.
    EAST

good luck to mesquite in the playoffs