Thread: Huddling on Kickoffs -- By Rule?

All-District

Default Huddling on Kickoffs -- By Rule?

I always see kick-off teams huddling. We never did when I was in high school (won't say how long ago that was . We would just run to our spot on the 35-yd line and wait for the ready-for-play whistle.

Is it required for the kicking team to huddle prior to a kick-off? If so, when was this rule envoked and why?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Default Re: Huddling on Kickoffs -- By Rule?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRangers View Post
    I always see kick-off teams huddling. We never did when I was in high school (won't say how long ago that was . We would just run to our spot on the 35-yd line and wait for the ready-for-play whistle.

Is it required for the kicking team to huddle prior to a kick-off? If so, when was this rule envoked and why?
    Not required......just a way to confuse the Return team....the men up front usually point out and lock in who they are gonna block.....break the huddle at the last second and there is a lot of confusion....I've seen teams actually kick from the huddle.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

At Waco High we gotta keep it gangsta so this is our huddle

Our four "hitmen", two on each side of the far field automatically go to thier spots. The kicker stands in front of the ball gets it ready etc...

Then, the rest of the team lines up in two lines about 10 yards behind the kicker. Tallest in back shortest in front. We have a "lead man" who then leads them in a swaying like motion like hes "swangin'" a car and they follow in unison.

8-)
    I am David Koresh.

I've always been a fan of teams who try and mix things up on the kickoff. I'm sure there are players in HS football that aren't phased by a team kicking from the huddle, but I'm sure it's enough to confuse a few kids on special teams and sometimes thats all you need to make a create a big play.

I like what Katy does occasionally on KO returns where they huddle up after receiving the ball, hand it off to someone else and the take off like a jail break. Now I'm sure THAT has caused some confusion for kicking teams, but it almost screwed us against Cy Falls in the '05 playoffs...I know my Katy folks remember that.
    "Here in Texas, guns run a close third to God and High School Football" -- Me, to a kid from Wisconsin

70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water. The remainder is covered by Bob Sanders.

RIP LeRoi Moore - 1961-2008