Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plano vs HP 1977 miracle comeback 29-28 Video highlights

Banned

Default Plano vs HP 1977 miracle comeback 29-28 Video highlights

KUDO's to the DMN for bringing up the video highlights of the of the greatest comebacks in Texas history. I was in 3rd grade and it was my first trip to Texas Stadium and I had to sit in the upper deck and I was scared to death to walk up the ramps to the seats. After that game I became the lifelong Plano fan I am today.

Check out the link below. It's interesting to see the size of the line-man from 30 years ago and how small in general the players looked.

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/videop...ml?nvid=170735

Check out the very excited Plano Cheerleader running down the sideline with her hands above her head screaming when Plano completes the flea flicker to tie the game up with 33 seconds to go. Priceless

Default Re: Plano vs HP 1977 miracle comeback 29-28 Video highlights

Quote Originally Posted by Plano Wildcat Fan View Post
    KUDO's to the DMN for bringing up the video highlights of the of the greatest comebacks in Texas history. I was in 3rd grade and it was my first trip to Texas Stadium and I had to sit in the upper deck and I was scared to death to walk up the ramps to the seats. After that game I became the lifelong Plano fan I am today.

Check out the link below. It's interesting to see the size of the line-man from 30 years ago and how small in general the players looked.

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/videop...ml?nvid=170735

Check out the very excited Plano Cheerleader running down the sideline with her hands above her head screaming when Plano completes the flea flicker to tie the game up with 33 seconds to go. Priceless
    They do look a little smaller (as I would expect) but gosh, the entire team (both sides) look really quick.
    Two Rules to Live By:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff
    2. Convince yourself everything is small stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rancher52 View Post
    They do look a little smaller (as I would expect) but gosh, the entire team (both sides) look really quick.
    Very quick. However, the cheerleader running down the sideline was the quickest of all.

Very cool stuff. I remember that shocking comeback well. I also remember being very surprised that Plano beat PN-G that year. But that Wildcat team sure did have a "team of destiny" thing going for it.
    "It's amazing how much can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 78 Spartan View Post
    Very cool stuff. I remember that shocking comeback well. I also remember being very surprised that Plano beat PN-G that year. But that Wildcat team sure did have a "team of destiny" thing going for it.
    As a 9 year old I thought those guys were super hero's and could of easily beaten the Cowboys that year. 3 straight weeks of Plano magic that began with the HP game then the roadtrip to Lubbock to play MOJO in 30 degree weather winning 3-0 then the PNG at Texas Stadium in front of 49,905.

It continued into next year until Mr. James and company put a halt in the title game at the Astrodome that year.:cry

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member LPMOM's Avatar

high school football is truly priceless!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar

1977!! Whoa.. I was a gleam in my dad's right eye. And yes, those 185 lb o-linemen were hilariously tiny ... but pretty quick. To be expected, given the era.
    "Oel ngati kameie..."

"Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

No warm-blooded person roots for Highland Park. SLC could be 179-1 and I would root for them to win their 19th straight ring over HP. In fact, I'd drive the bus to the game.

All-State

In any era of football, that is still a great comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    1977!! Whoa.. I was a gleam in my dad's right eye.

I was a couple of years old when this game took place, but my dad was there and talked about it quite often!
    Texas High School Football : 'Nuff Said!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    1977!! Whoa.. I was a gleam in my dad's right eye. And yes, those 185 lb o-linemen were hilariously tiny ... but pretty quick. To be expected, given the era.

Yes small and quick. I'm amazed how good the video quality was. Sure would like to see the whole game on video.

All-State

PWF- check your PM.

I have video of the game and PDF files of the newspaper recap for it as well.
    Last edited by PCW Cats; 09-05-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: add ons

Just for grins and giggles can one of you Plano posters get the lineups and post the weights of the players ... not sure if that is available but it would be a kick to see for comparisons.
    Two Rules to Live By:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff
    2. Convince yourself everything is small stuff.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

Can you get the entire game on DVD?
    I would love to watch that game.
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!

All-District

Fascinating video.

All-American

Thank you soooo much for posting that. I was in 6th grade in Plano and this is the game that hooked me on high school football for life. It was my second game to go to. I remember how before the game we had no chance to win. Heck, in the 3rd quarter we had no chance to win.

I would love to get a copy of the whole game tape.

Here are the lineups from the back of the program for the person asking for it....

Billy Ray Smith a a junior. He was 185.
    *disclaimer: I am not THE Butch Fifield nor have I ever played QB for the Plano Wildcats.

All-American

looking at the roster, here are the players that made the plays in this highlight video.....

28-0 HP TD - RB #40 Lott McIlhenny (JR) 2 yd run
    28-7 Plano TD - QB #20 Steve Ulmer junior (JR) 23 yd run
    28-14 Plano TD - Ulmer 13 yd pass to RB #28 John Gaddis (SR)
    28-21 Plano TD - #24 Carl Smith (JR) intercepted pitchout from #11 HP QB Lance McIlhenny (SO) and ran back 60 yards.
    29-28 Plano TD - 33 seconds left, Ulmer laterals to flanker #25 Stevie Haynes (SR) who throws a 61 yard TD pass to #22 Perry Haynes (JR). Ulmer scores 2 point conversion on a QB keeper (huge hole). I didn't remember the 2 pointer being that easy.

HP was ahead on penetrations, so Plano had to go for the win and not the tie.
    *disclaimer: I am not THE Butch Fifield nor have I ever played QB for the Plano Wildcats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Fifield View Post
    looking at the roster, here are the players that made the plays in this highlight video.....

28-21 Plano TD - #24 Carl Smith (JR) intercepted pitchout from #11 HP QB Lance McIlhenny (SO) and ran back 60 yards.
    29-28 Plano TD - 33 seconds left, Ulmer laterals to flanker #25 Stevie Haynes (SR) who throws a 61 yard TD pass to #22 Perry Haynes (JR). Ulmer scores 2 point conversion on a QB keeper (huge hole). I didn't remember the 2 pointer being that easy.

Nice, Thanks for the roster. Plano had 3 guys over 200lbs. Ouch.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Fifield View Post

i was in a position to be able to see the plano coaches thru the binos as the players came to the line. even before the snap, all the coaches were going crazy celebrating and high 5-ing. come to find out, it was the only time all night that the hp defense lined up unbalanced. since the option direction is called at the line, i imagine that when ulmer counted 6 left and 5 right, he had a huge smile too. he probably couldn't get that even call out soon enough.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
    i was in a position to be able to see the plano coaches thru the binos as the players came to the line. even before the snap, all the coaches were going crazy celebrating and high 5-ing. come to find out, it was the only time all night that the hp defense lined up unbalanced. since the option direction is called at the line, i imagine that when ulmer counted 6 left and 5 right, he had a huge smile too. he probably couldn't get that even call out soon enough.

That hole was huge he could of walked in. The whole right side of the Plano line crushed HP's left side.