Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition supplements may show up in steriod testing

Default Nutrition supplements may show up in steriod testing

an interesting article in the news
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/h...g.3556387.html

Some state officials and drug-testing experts are urging high school athletes to avoid some nutritional supplements because they could cause a "false positive" on a steroid test.

"The message should be: 'Don't take supplements at all.' I believe that we have to do everything we can to get all the education out there as quickly as we can before we start testing," said Jeff Kloster, associate commissioner of the Texas Education Agency.
    The head of the country's largest drug-testing company of college athletes estimated that 1 percent or 2 percent of Texas high school student athletes would show positive steroid test results because of dietary supplements. That could involve as many as 500 student athletes.
    SA WARREN WARRIORS
    28-5a District Champs

Default Re: Nutrition supplements may show up in steriod testing

no big surprise there.... some of those supplements when stacked will make you go nuts man. the adrenaline rush helps a lot of people last longer in the gym and is a main reason that people buy them. and it doesnt just come from protein powders, but also from the fat burners (esp. the thermogenic kinds)

Quote Originally Posted by t-long20 View Post
    This is an area I know alot about. I've seen this and read this before. It is not true. I don't know why people keep reporting this?

What part of this is not true??

Here we go... The big programs are already preparing their defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Here we go... The big programs are already preparing their defense!

Nope, just curious. If the state and the testing facilities say its a problem what does he know that makes it not true. Article in the Chronicle yesterday stated the Gov wanted it delayed untill the bugs were worked out but Lt Gov wanted to start in the fall. I look at it this way, regardless of the program. If ONE kid is unfairly punished thats one to many.

Quote Originally Posted by ktrain View Post
    Nope, just curious. If the state and the testing facilities say its a problem what does he know that makes it not true. Article in the Chronicle yesterday stated the Gov wanted it delayed untill the bugs were worked out but Lt Gov wanted to start in the fall. I look at it this way regardless of the program. If ONE kid is unfairly punished thats one to many.
    Well, judging by what I saw at the 7-on-7 tourney, if they want to level the playing field, they should just make them legal... Then if you're not using them and getting beat by bigger, faster users, it's your own fault...
    Last edited by Drake; 07-18-2007 at 12:50 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FeeltheHaka View Post
    This is an area I know alot about. I've seen this and read this before. It is not true. I don't know why people keep reporting this?
    Curious... It seems like some respectable folks are making the claim that false positives could easily result. So under what circumstances are they incorrect? Not trying to argue with you one way or the other. But if some guy in charge of a testing lab is making such an assertion, relative to something around a 2-3% false positive, then I would get concerned as well, considering that steroid usage is only expected to be around that same proportion in the population to be sampled.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

There are just far too many variables yet to be worked out for this system to be put into effect this year. It is more important to have this program be beyond reproach than to catch a few headlines. The supplement issue has got to be explored & defined, bottomline.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    There are just far too many variables yet to be worked out for this system to be put into effect this year. It is more important to have this program be beyond reproach than to catch a few headlines. The supplement issue has got to be explored & defined, bottomline.
    exactly
    SA WARREN WARRIORS
    28-5a District Champs

The heck with all this worrying about due process. If I were King I'd keep it very straightforward and simple. I'd just have this proclamation nailed up in every high school locker room:

STEROID USE
    We are steroid testing now. ANYONE testing positive
    will be suspended. Some dietary supplements have been shown
    to cause test positives. If you want to make sure you won't be
    suspended for a positive test, I suggest you stop using steroids
    AND dietary supplements once and for all!

The King
    Last edited by Drake; 07-18-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    The heck with all this worrying about due process. If I were King I'd keep it very straightforward and simple. I'd just have this proclamation nailed up in every high school locker room:

STEROID USE
    We are steroid testing now. ANYONE testing positive
    will be suspended. Some dietary supplements have been shown
    to cause test positives. If you want to make sure you won't be
    suspended for a positive test, I suggest you stop using steroids
    AND dietary supplements once and for all!

The King
    You do know that this country got rid of the king.
    Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer."
    Maureen Ogle
    Wolfpack Rules!

It's good that they are going to test, but if they are going to allow supplements, then they need to develop a test to differentiate between the 2. As stated before one kid unfairly punished is one too many.
    Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer."
    Maureen Ogle
    Wolfpack Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by ruffshod View Post
    It's good that they are going to test, but if they are going to allow supplements, then they need to develop a test to differentiate between the 2. As stated before one kid unfairly punished is one too many.
    You need to reread the article. They are not allowing supplements. They are suspending players that test positive and telling them that some supplements may cause a bad test. In other words, what they're saying is; to be safe, DON'T TAKE SUPPLEMENTS.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    Curious... It seems like some respectable folks are making the claim that false positives could easily result. So under what circumstances are they incorrect? Not trying to argue with you one way or the other. But if some guy in charge of a testing lab is making such an assertion, relative to something around a 2-3% false positive, then I would get concerned as well, considering that steroid usage is only expected to be around that same proportion in the population to be sampled.
    Here is an example of how a false positive can result:
    http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/18/1676_52453.htm
    Really in this case it would not be a false positve. If a test shows positive it is because it is positive. Now whether the individual knew they were using a banned/illegal substance is another question.
    Now another time someone complains about a false positive and blames it on supplements, is because they knowingly took something they were not supposed to; and are trying to provide a half baked explanation.
    Here is a link from 2001 that I found on a search which kind of explain things better, but in 2001. Things have changed since then.
    http://www.active.com/story.cfm?stor...y=Soccer&num=0
    I am not going to say never, buy if proper protocol is followed; a false positive should not happen. The testing is so good that a teaspoon of a banned substance can be detected in an olympic size pool. Another thing that is never mentioned is if a positive result comes back, for some substances; then the levels or amount of the substance can be checked. These so-called prohormone substances do not really raise levels that would lead one to believe that they are actually using the banned substance.
    In my opinion, some of these supplement companies hype up the whole false positive hysteria to try and make their product sound more than what it really is.

All-State

If suplement companies were smart theyed market a product that has been through the UIL testing and is known to not contain any banned substances. if u look on many splement bottles they will say something to the effect "NCAA approved". if a consumer knew that the supplemet would not create a "false posotive" then they (or at least i) would be more apt to purchase it over another product without this UIL stamp of approval. the UIL could charge the cumpanies to test the suplemet and sell an oficiall UIL stamp of approval. there is no suck thing as a false posotive, there is however an uninformed consumer.
    BLEED GREEN

i dont think its good just to stop taking them altogether. your strength/workouts become so stagnant and you dont get stronger at all after awhile.
    WESTLAKE TO STATE (Class of 2010 all the way)

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Testing should have commenced two years ago. If a kid gets busted because he was taking supplements - he was warned. We KNOW kids are taking steroids, just ask Colleyville Her. and Plano West.

Starter

Players should be allowed to take protein supplements.

Protein is taken to help build muscle and body mass. Players have been taking it for YEARS!!!

I am curious to see who is awarded the contract to test Tx. athletes and which legislator gets a kickback (i.e.campaign contribution)

To me its just another example of companies making money off of kids.

Just like our TAKS testing programs, millions of dollars used and spent to produce workbooks and tests.

Money would be better spent testing for marijuana and alcohol. That is where the abuse is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by gator9 View Post
    Players should be allowed to take protein supplements.

Protein is taken to help build muscle and body mass. Players have been taking it for YEARS!!!

Money would be better spent testing for marijuana and alcohol. That is where the abuse is happening.
    good post why should the good, hard working athletes be punished because of a small minority who wants to break the rules? they can pass a bill that allows steroid testing but cant pass a bill for other bigger issuses most schools are facing like drugs and alcohol which or more common on campuses than steroids
    SA WARREN WARRIORS
    28-5a District Champs