Thread: 5A enrollment

Default 5A enrollment

I saw this on the messageboard for the Lufkin Panthers. If the UIL raised the enrollment figures for 5A to 2800 students their would not be a 5A team in East texas. Lufkin, Longview, Nacogdoches, John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Marshall, Jacksonville, Pinetree, would all be 4A. It would not be 5A but that would make for one of the toughest districts in the whole state!b What is everybodys opinion on raising the enrollment for 5A to 2800 students?
    Lufkin lost to Nacogdoches for first time in over 20 years. Will Longview get over a 100 points against Lufkin this week?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Mr. Buddy Garrity's Avatar
    Floating on a mat in the West Texas breeze in Abilene via Port Arthur Tx

Quote Originally Posted by LP-79
    I saw this on the messageboard for the Lufkin Panthers. If the UIL raised the enrollment figures for 5A to 2800 students their would not be a 5A team in East texas. Lufkin, Longview, Nacogdoches, John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Marshall, Jacksonville, Pinetree, would all be 4A. It would not be 5A but that would make for one of the toughest districts in the whole state!b What is everybodys opinion on raising the enrollment for 5A to 2800 students?
    I'm all for it, but I doubt if it happens seriously.
    I smell Football in the West Texas breeze....

Follow me on Twitter: @MrBuddyGarrity

wide-e-wide

Good ol' Pine Tree I remember when they were in our district back in the
    day...

yes raise the enrollment numbers.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by LP-79
    If anything -- the cutoff will be lowered -- not raised because of 4 playoff spots -- UIL will make sure there will be at least 8 teams per district --so there will have to be MORE 5 A teams ( more teams moving up from 4 A )-- then of course there will need to be more 4 A moved up from 3 A

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

they are looking for around 260 teams in 5a, plus-minus a few, with all districts having at least 8 teams. last go round they broke up east texas, and this time s texas will be rearranged, as well as the little swc. the times they are achanging. the cut off will be adjusted to fit these parameters. waco won't be the only tradition to regress into 4a.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Reserve

I don't see how raising the enrollment rate can help.

A) If enrollment is raised, there will be less schools in 5A and smaller districts. Each district would be spread further, and the except for the metroplex, Houston, and Austin/SA, the length of each team's drive would be equivalent to district 3-5As. Driving further for games would decrease attendance, and therefore income for the district; not to mention the raised costs of driving to these sites. As we have seen with the idea to add a fourth team to playoffs, many of the decisions are based on increasing income for the districts, hopefully aiding the cash-choked school districts. With the loss of income, a higher cutoff for enrollment in 5A would be an economic nightmare for the AD.

B) Whole districts would be missing from 5A. The Garland ISD, as well as Mesquite ISD and countless others, simply do not have enough schools with over 2800 students. GISD (District 11-5A) has between 1900 and 2400 in everyone of of its 8 high schools. 5A would either have to shrink to 16 divisions, adopt a new playoff format, or keep the 32 district format. If it shrank to 16 divisions, there could be one undisputed 5A champion (4x16=64). Yet, if the 32 district format is kept, virtually every team would make it to playoffs, and there would still be a necessity for two divisions.

C) If enrollment were raised, there would be a surplus of 4A teams. A couple years later, the same ruling would have to be applied to 4A, making 3A larger...and so on. The problem of too many schools in one division cannot be fixed by inflated requirements; rather a 6A division should be formed. If that were to happen, then enrollment rates would not have to be shifted much.

I just don't see how raising the enrollment figures can help the situation; it would simply put it off for a couple more years when the problem is larger. What we need is a 6A. Just my opinion....

Why is it they keep raising the enrollment numbers each realignment?
    ​2013 Cooper Cougar Football - Thanks for an amazing season!

you are equating rumor with fact. the only fact is that the cutoff will be set whereever it takes to have 32-8 team districts, with half of each making the po's. that number has not been determined and won't be announced early.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

Default Heat

Quote Originally Posted by cougardude
    Why is it they keep raising the enrollment numbers each realignment?
    All this heat in Texas makes kids spontaneously pop up or something like that.

Texas has jobs and people move in from other parts of the U.S. and we have a significant legal and illegal immigrant population. We have a few people that want kids, too. I think we're supposed to have over 30 million by 2020.

All-District

I like the 32 8 team districts if possible. It would however create some difficult commutes for some schools. I just don't like having more than 8 teams in a district, it eliminates some great cross district rivalries. 9 team districts creates scheduling problems and 10 with only one non district game is horrible.

there are opportunities in some areas for larger districts with zone playoffs. the permutations of deciding which 4 teams goes could be a nightmare, except for mathmeticians. coaches may have to have one on staff to compute the effect of scores to determine late game stategies.
    let's get'r done-cs rip

I predict the Little SWC as mentioned in an earlier post will be retooled to include:

Midland Lee
    Midland High
    San Angelo Central
    Odessa High
    Odessa Permian
    Lubbock High
    Lubbock Monterey
    Lubbock Coronado

I think the Abilene schools will drop to 4A as well as Amarillo High and Amarillo Tascosa.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer CoppellCowboy57's Avatar

Coppell would go down to 4A, thats stupid they should make a 6A for the super schools..
    The Coppell Cowboys

BACK TO BACK 5-5A DISTRICT CHAMPIONS 2012/2013

COPPELL CLASS OF 2005
    3rd Battalion 1st Marines The Balls of The Corps 2005 - 2009

Quote Originally Posted by garland04
    I don't see how raising the enrollment rate can help.

A) If enrollment is raised, there will be less schools in 5A and smaller districts. Each district would be spread further, and the except for the metroplex, Houston, and Austin/SA, the length of each team's drive would be equivalent to district 3-5As. Driving further for games would decrease attendance, and therefore income for the district; not to mention the raised costs of driving to these sites. As we have seen with the idea to add a fourth team to playoffs, many of the decisions are based on increasing income for the districts, hopefully aiding the cash-choked school districts. With the loss of income, a higher cutoff for enrollment in 5A would be an economic nightmare for the AD.

B) Whole districts would be missing from 5A. The Garland ISD, as well as Mesquite ISD and countless others, simply do not have enough schools with over 2800 students. GISD (District 11-5A) has between 1900 and 2400 in everyone of of its 8 high schools. 5A would either have to shrink to 16 divisions, adopt a new playoff format, or keep the 32 district format. If it shrank to 16 divisions, there could be one undisputed 5A champion (4x16=64). Yet, if the 32 district format is kept, virtually every team would make it to playoffs, and there would still be a necessity for two divisions.

C) If enrollment were raised, there would be a surplus of 4A teams. A couple years later, the same ruling would have to be applied to 4A, making 3A larger...and so on. The problem of too many schools in one division cannot be fixed by inflated requirements; rather a 6A division should be formed. If that were to happen, then enrollment rates would not have to be shifted much.

I just don't see how raising the enrollment figures can help the situation; it would simply put it off for a couple more years when the problem is larger. What we need is a 6A. Just my opinion....
    wouldn't the "length of each team's drive" be longer with a 6A, as you say making 5A have less teams would do, so really, 6A doesn't solve the problem either.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

Looking at your State Champ years..Carroll has 88, 92, 93, 02 and 04 just one behind and most of the same years!

THAT WAS THE SCUTTLE GOING DOWN LAST YEAR, THAT AFTER JUDSON FELL, WE HAD NO CHANCE.sorry
    let's get'r done-cs rip

What do you do with 3A?, they do need more teams. Their enrollment margins are something like 330 - 960 students, big gap for small schools. The 4A schools did not approve to have 4 teams per district in the playoffs, so they need to give up a few to 3A. While there are huge gaps in enrollment in 5A that need to be addressed. What you have is a school like Plano East, The Woodlands, Converse Judson, Plano, Spring Westfiled, Humble, Allen, Humble Kingwood and Galena Park Northshore all with enrollments between 4000 - 5000 students, playing teams like Dallas Carter, North Crowley, Mesquite Horn, Round Rock, John Tyler and San Marcos all with less than a 2000 student enrollment. The 4 playoff teams in 5A per district could provide some balance for this decrepency, but I still believe the 6A division is the only long term solution to the problem. The minimum cut off for 6a should be 2800 and up.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PackAttack2005
    What do you do with 3A?, they do need more teams. Their enrollment margins are something like 330 - 960 students, big gap for small schools. The 4A schools did not approve to have 4 teams per district in the playoffs, so they need to give up a few to 3A. While there are huge gaps in enrollment in 5A that need to be addressed. What you have is a school like Plano East, The Woodlands, Converse Judson, Plano, Spring Westfiled, Humble, Allen, Humble Kingwood and Galena Park Northshore all with enrollments between 4000 - 5000 students, playing teams like Dallas Carter, North Crowley, Mesquite Horn, Round Rock, John Tyler and San Marcos all with less than a 2000 student enrollment. The 4 playoff teams in 5A per district could provide some balance for this decrepency, but I still believe the 6A division is the only long term solution to the problem. The minimum cut off for 6a should be 2800 and up.

what you get up to a certain number it does not make as big of a difference. leave 5a alone we do not need a 6a. i am looking at some of those teams you listed and lufkin has had great success against everyone of those they played in the woodlands, spring westfield, plano and allen. plano, kingwood and humble were awful last year and round rock is usually mediocre. it is not like all of these huge schools are dominating other teams?? yes judson and north shore have been great but not dominant lately. the one exception is the 2003 year for north shore. the #1 team in the nation has small 5a numbers. john tyler was a powerhouse for years with almost 4a numbers.