Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprises on the Top 25 List Only

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Default Surprises on the Top 25 List Only

Hey - not trying to detract from KT's sticky thread - let's limit this to your surprises only here.

It goes without saying the KT's have out-done themselves this year. As Texas 5A gets deeper and deeper in talent, their job gets tougher every year.

My random surprise thoughts are not meant to bash or prop up a program, just an opinion. And, let's also remember making the PO's and winning a PO game does not constitute a Top 25 teams.

1) Allen at 5. Clearly a team that has come along way, but they rode the shoulders of Nathan last year, and his loss in the semi-final shows me they have a ways to go as a program. Their D was suspect all year, and it appears that will continue to be the case. Yes, their O is loaded to the max - but you hate to have to out-score folks every game. Allen will sneak up on no one this year - they are a clear top program.

2) Cedar Hill at 4. Props to this program, but they lose a ton of guys - and their senior leadership last year was second to none. I don't think they duplicate that again this year, and they too sneak up on nobody in '07.

3) Tyler Lee off the list. It just looks odd with them not on there. Has the program fallen off? Yes - but I think this exclusion gives them motivation to get back to the beast they were for a 5 years - we'll see.

4) SA Reagan off the list. I think they pick up where they left off in the PO's - just a hunch. But, that district will be brutal.

5) Plano East excluded. This team had SW beat last year until Rico went down and was playing very well in the PO's. I think that trend continues.
    Last edited by Favpack; 06-02-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Default Re: Surprises on the Top 25 List Only

Forget my No. 4 - Reagan is at 13 - a good pick.

Cy Fair, Tyler Lee and PESH excluded.

Lufkin at 8 (should be 4 or 5)

Cy Falls not in top 25. I knew they graduated a lot of kids but so did Lufkin. I would have thought the state final appearance would have warranted a top 25 ranking the year after. Guess we'll all hear it from CFMom if they make a deep playoff run.

SV at 14 is a little low.

I expected 175a to have at least 1 team.

I'm sure I will try to see Muguffie play a couple of times in the fall and or post season. I also plan on watching Luck a game or two as he ripps through 195a.
    2012 Division 2 State Champs / Playoff points for 331 against 95
    2013 Division 2 State Finalist / Playoff points for 309 against 81

Quote Originally Posted by cavalierdad View Post
    Cy Fair, Tyler Lee and PESH excluded.

Lufkin at 8 (should be 4 or 5)

Cy Falls not in top 25. I knew they graduated a lot of kids but so did Lufkin. I would have thought the state final appearance would have warranted a top 25 ranking the year after. Guess we'll all hear it from CFMom if they make a deep playoff run.

SV at 14 is a little low.
    Assuming good health, Lufkin could easily return to their deep PO form. My main concerns with Lufkin is losing so many on D, and a semi-question mark at qb. I'm not worried about the D with Coach Quick. He'll use the Round Rock defensive debacle all year long.

In all honesty though, Lufkin has historically been an inconsistent offense - even the McNeal led team. A few huge plays sandwiched between some ugly plays. That trend will continue.

Obviously no surprise at 1, 2 & 3 - I think just about everyone had these 3 teams as a lock.

The surprise is probably De Soto being ranked to the exclusion of, but not limited to : Tyler Lee, Plano East, Cy Falls, Cy Fair, etc
    Last edited by toonman; 06-02-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toonman View Post
    Obviously no surprise at 1, 2 & 3 - I think just about everyone had these 3 teams as a lock.

The surprise is probably De Soto being ranked to the exclusion of, but limited to : Tyler Lee, Plano East, Cy Falls, Cy Fair, etc
    Cy Fair due to one hurdling rb who could gain 3,000 yards. Not sure about Cy Falls - I know they lost alot of seniors, but so did Cedar Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack View Post
    Cy Fair due to one hurdling rb who could gain 3,000 yards. Not sure about Cy Falls - I know they lost alot of seniors, but so did Cedar Hill.
    I think it would be an understatement to say that the Cypress Fairbanks schools are a little miffed about the list.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

Allen - at 5 bit of an eyebrow raise but if Payne comes into his own, they've got talent at the skill positions.

Desoto - I just don't trust the Eagles to deliver. As good as Gray is I'm not sure the Cole formula is as simple as adding ingredients & stirring.

Lufkin & SV are where they should porbably start but both have the potential to catch fire.

Pesh & Tyler Lee on the outside looking in was interesting. I'm eager to see Rapp's impact on the PESH defense.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

Banned

Even though we did bad in the playoffs i think we should at least be at 10 or 11

Quote Originally Posted by svfootball45 View Post
    Even though we did bad in the playoffs i think we should at least be at 10 or 11
    There's not a lot of separation from 8 to 14 - most are good teams with something to prove. I think there could be some real movement in the top 7 when considering Allen, Ced. Hill and DeSoto - they could all lose 2 games prior to the PO's.

A little surprising to not see A&M Consol listed anywhere. But, they have a tough schedule and lost a lot of seniors. Not sure who is coming back.

Cedar Hill at 4 surprised me a bit as well. I'm not hatin', just saying it'll be interesting to see what they do this season. I'll definitely have an eye on them.
    Proudest Member of
    the Fightin' Texas Aggie
    Class of 2010!

A-WHOOP!

Hey - not trying to detract from KT's sticky thread - let's limit this to your surprises only here.

It goes without saying the KT's have out-done themselves this year. As Texas 5A gets deeper and deeper in talent, their job gets tougher every year.

My random surprise thoughts are not meant to bash or prop up a program, just an opinion. And, let's also remember making the PO's and winning a PO game does not constitute a Top 25 teams.

1) Allen at 5. Clearly a team that has come along way, but they rode the shoulders of Nathan last year, and his loss in the semi-final shows me they have a ways to go as a program. Their D was suspect all year, and it appears that will continue to be the case. Yes, their O is loaded to the max - but you hate to have to out-score folks every game. Allen will sneak up on no one this year - they are a clear top program.

2) Cedar Hill at 4. Props to this program, but they lose a ton of guys - and their senior leadership last year was second to none. I don't think they duplicate that again this year, and they too sneak up on nobody in '07.

3) Tyler Lee off the list. It just looks odd with them not on there. Has the program fallen off? Yes - but I think this exclusion gives them motivation to get back to the beast they were for a 5 years - we'll see.

4) SA Reagan off the list. I think they pick up where they left off in the PO's - just a hunch. But, that district will be brutal.

5) Plano East excluded. This team had SW beat last year until Rico went down and was playing very well in the PO's. I think that trend continues.
    We drop players on both side of the ball like everyone else including our stud LB Keenan Robinson who will play for the Longhorns. But East always reloads . There are teams on the top 25 that East could handle and have handled, no disrespect intended. Our head coaching issues may have affected the judgement. But there is NO WAY you rank ALLEN number 5 and leave Plano East out of the top 25. They either forgot us or just blew it. Yes this is a homer talking... but I just don't see East dropping off with Rico Smalls at QB. East also played Allen toe to toe last year in the district finale and barely lost. And that was without Rico!
    E A S T

Administrator

The Cypress schools are almost a victim of their own competition when it comes to the rankings this year. That district is so balanced that almost any team can beat anyone in the district on a given night, or lose to them. It's one of the tougher districts to get a read on because of the jekyll-hyde personality of the teams in the district.

Cy Fair starts outside of the top 25 because of the senior leadership they lost on defense. That's what we are looking for from the Bobcats. We know the offense will be there, but how good will the D be? I'm confident they will play there way into the rankings.

After all, the top 25 is just a starting point. We obviously expect it to change quite a bit and take form over the course of the season when we start playing games.

Tyler Lee still has to prove they are back in our eyes. They haven't done anything in the post-season since winning it in 2004. The truly elite programs are in contention every season regardless of graduation hits. Lee isn't there yet in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post
    The Cypress schools are almost a victim of their own competition when it comes to the rankings this year. That district is so balanced that almost any team can beat anyone in the district on a given night, or lose to them. It's one of the tougher districts to get a read on because of the jekyll-hyde personality of the teams in the district.

Cy Fair starts outside of the top 25 because of the senior leadership they lost on defense. That's what we are looking for from the Bobcats. We know the offense will be there, but how good will the D be? I'm confident they will play there way into the rankings.

After all, the top 25 is just a starting point. We obviously expect it to change quite a bit and take form over the course of the season when we start playing games.

Tyler Lee still has to prove they are back in our eyes. They haven't done anything in the post-season since winning it in 2004. The truly elite programs are in contention every season regardless of graduation hits. Lee isn't there yet in my opinion.
    I think Lee was there and then slipped - and, ain't it funny we still point back to traveling to Ohio as the beginning of slippage.

I'd be interested in Smoak's take here. Clearly Tyler is losing good kids daily to Whitehouse, Bullard and points beyond - that makes it tougher for both Lee and JT to be up yearly. I'm afraid an ugly, protracted re-alignment of school district boundaries may be required to get Lee all the way back. Lots of good growth within the city limits of Tyler is in the Whitehouse or other ISD's.

Lee has a lot to prove this coming year - getting beat multiple times and barely making the PO's is not Owens style. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by svfootball45 View Post
    SV's got alot to prove brosef, espescially after what happened last year. but the predicted playoff first round on the gridiron guide have us going against SM again with a chance for redemption
    SV....The Buffalo Bills of TXHSFB
    Lets get it shall we?

I guess I'm different, but, I'm not really surprised about DeSoto being ranked. DeSoto is actually a mirror image of Cedar Hill player for player, and speed for speed, but, Cedar Hill just has better coaching.

Where is Cy-Fair and Cy-Falls?
    R.I.P. Jennifer R. Taylor July 18, 1986-January 22, 2010!

Banned

I think Lee was there and then slipped - and, ain't it funny we still point back to traveling to Ohio as the beginning of slippage.

I'd be interested in Smoak's take here. Clearly Tyler is losing good kids daily to Whitehouse, Bullard and points beyond - that makes it tougher for both Lee and JT to be up yearly. I'm afraid an ugly, protracted re-alignment of school district boundaries may be required to get Lee all the way back. Lots of good growth within the city limits of Tyler is in the Whitehouse or other ISD's.

Lee has a lot to prove this coming year - [getting beat multiple times and barely making the PO's is not Owens style]. We'll see.
    i just have to cut in a say something to you now. from reading a few of your post. it sounds like you belive tyler lee had a 4,5,or 6 loss season in 06. they only lost 2 in the regular season. one to trinity and longview before losing 21-18 to plano east in the second round.all 3 games decided late in the fourth qtr. they were second in district, loosing only one game. so owens never has barely made the playoffs. 9-3 in 06 unless you want to go all the way back to 1997
    Last edited by big red & cujo; 06-02-2007 at 01:15 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer TexasRed6x's Avatar

Judson did not make it. They are a favorite to take the 4th place spot in 26-5A.
    2010 5ATF Fantasy Football Champion

36 In A Row And Counting!!!!!!!!