Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1988 State Title

Default 1988 State Title

I am in a discussion with another coach. He says that OD Perm. did not win the State title in 1988. I told him that they won on a coin toss, after violation had occured by the other team or teams. After the violation from either (Dallas Carter or Converse Jun.) or both cant remember that. He believes the Movie, but he is also from Kansas that ought to tell you something. The movie shows a coin toss to make the playoffs, if that is true then they had 2 coin toss tie breakers that year. One to make the playoffs, which I dont remember, and the second to win the title. If there are any people who know the real story help me get it right. I have to be close, I remember the 4A title game was with West Orange Stark and Paris, which Paris won. Thanks for any imput.

Default Re: 1988 State Title

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rings View Post
    I am in a discussion with another coach. He says that OD Perm. did not win the State title in 1988. I told him that they won on a coin toss, after violation had occured by the other team or teams. After the violation from either (Dallas Carter or Converse Jun.) or both cant remember that. He believes the Movie, but he is also from Kansas that ought to tell you something. The movie shows a coin toss to make the playoffs, if that is true then they had 2 coin toss tie breakers that year. One to make the playoffs, which I dont remember, and the second to win the title. If there are any people who know the real story help me get it right. I have to be close, I remember the 4A title game was with West Orange Stark and Paris, which Paris won. Thanks for any imput.
    Permian State Titles:
    65,72, 80, 84, 89, 91

There was a coin toss to break the tie for getting into the playoffs. Permian played Carter and lost 14-9.
    How long til Spring Ball?

All-State

Permian did not win state in 88. They lost to Carter in the semis which went on to maul Judson. Judson was later awarded the title because of the ineligible player that Carter had used. As for the coin toss, it was used as a tie breaker to determine the two playoff reps because of th three way tie for district between Permian, Lee and Midland High. Only one coin toss.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fballgirl22 View Post
    Permian did not win state in 88. They lost to Carter in the semis which went on to maul Judson. Judson was later awarded the title because of the ineligible player that Carter had used. As for the coin toss, it was used as a tie breaker to determine the two playoff reps because of th three way tie for district between Permian, Lee and Midland High. Only one coin toss.
    Exactly right. 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboys, the biggest fraud ever played on the Texas High School Football playoffs.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    Exactly right. 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboys, the biggest fraud ever played on the Texas High School Football playoffs.
    Meanwhile, that same year Southlake Carroll was winning their first State Title!
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

Why does some of the record books show Perm winning with an * by it. Example Dave Campbells Mag. Even this sight show they won the title in a tie break.

Judson did get mauled by Carter but they had enelgible players and saying that Judson would have lost to Permian is stupid because IMO any team can beat another team on any given day.
    Best Poster At The Game- 2010 Winner

RIP Atwelljrock
    RIP TulsaHale74

State Championship
    1989 Odessa Permian 28 Aldine 14
    1988 Converse Judson 1 Dallas Carter 0*
    1987 Plano 28 SB Stratford 21
    1986 Plano 24 La Marque 7
    1985 Houston Yates 37 Odessa Permian 0
    1984 Odessa Permian 21 Beaumont French 21*
    1983 Converse Judson 25 Midland Lee 21
    1982 Beaumont West Brook 21 Hurst Bell 10
    1981 Lake Highlands 19 Houston Yates 6
    1980 Odessa Permian 28 PA Jefferson 19
    * Carter was forced to forfeit 31-14 victory over Judson in 88 for eligibility rules violations.
    * Permian won tie break

Permian would have had to play Judson to determine the champ. but it was to late to play so Perm won toss.

State Championship
    * Carter was forced to forfeit 31-14 victory over Judson in 88 for eligibility rules violations.
    * Permian won tie break

Permian would have had to play Judson to determine the champ. but it was to late to play so Perm won toss.

Permian won the tie breaker in 1984 to win state against Beaumont French.
    But the 1988 was given to Judson.

Why does it say Perm won the tie break. did they get second or what. To me if they won a tie break against Judson they are the Champ. Dallas Carter messed this all up..... I know what you are saying now.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drgnbkr View Post
    Meanwhile, that same year Southlake Carroll was winning their first State Title!
    Loved that team.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

Banned

State Championship
    * Permian won tie break

The trophy is in the Judson trophy case!!!

How many is that for Judson? Did any of those kids from that team go pro?

Banned

The sad thing is in the movie "Friday Night Lights", Converse Judson is not even mentioned. Even the parts where they show the playoff brackets, they just say "San Antonio", like there is only one high school in San Antonio.

My questions is, are all of Carters games considered forfeits? Is OP considered the 1988 State Runner-Ups?

you would think they would be the runner-up and that DC had to forfiet all games or at least to the point that the violation occured.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rock Mom View Post
    Permian won the tie breaker in 1984 to win state against Beaumont French.
    But the 1988 was given to Judson.
    Again, if you look at the 1984 state champions it was a tied game, so they flipped a coin and Permian won. Had nothing to do with the 1988 game.

Thanks we got that, we are talking about the ATX post now where Judson won but who got 2nd, it would have to be Perm.

Thanks we got that, we are talking about the ATX post now where Judson won but who got 2nd, it would have to be Perm.
    I think it would have gone to Permian.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Why does some of the record books show Perm winning with an * by it. Example Dave Campbells Mag. Even this sight show they won the title in a tie break.
    This site does not say that Permian won the 1988 state title by a tie breaker. It clearly shows that the 1988 5A title was awarded to Judson. The KT boys should perhaps change their footnote references to clear up some confusion on your part. The first asterik refers to the 1988 forfeit by Carter; the second asterik refers to the 1984 tie between Permian and French. Would it help if the 1984 game were footnoted by ** instead of * for both?

Quote Originally Posted by atx View Post
    The sad thing is in the movie "Friday Night Lights", Converse Judson is not even mentioned. Even the parts where they show the playoff brackets, they just say "San Antonio", like there is only one high school in San Antonio.

My questions is, are all of Carters games considered forfeits? Is OP considered the 1988 State Runner-Ups?
    There are a lot of omissions in the movie.

Cross-town-rival and oldest High School- Odessa, isn't mentioned either. If someone didn't know anything about Tx. football, they would think Permian was the only team there.
    I guess it makes for a decent movie but all of the omissions fall short of reality.
    With God........ ALL things are possible.