Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 214

Thread: Early Coaches Poll

  1. #1
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer WOS87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,573

    Default Early Coaches Poll

    Dave Campbell put up an "early" coaches poll yesterday. A lot of usual suspects pretty much...

    CLASS 5A 1. SLC 2. Katy 3. Trinity 4. Lufkin 5. Cedar Hill 6. Westfield 7. North Shore 8. Westlake 9. Smithson Valley 10. Allen

    CLASS 4A 1. La Marque 2. Waco 3. Highland Park 4. Copperas Cove 5. Texas High 6. Stephenville 7. Lamar Consolidated 8. Alamo Heights 9. Brenham 10. Aledo

    CLASS 3A 1. Liberty Hill 2. Cuero 3. Celina 4. Liberty-Eylau 5. Giddings 6. West Orange-Stark 7. Wimberley 8. Gilmer 9. Wylie 10. Robinson

    CLASS 2A 1. Tatum 2. Mart 3. Marlin 4. Newton 5. Lexington 6. Cisco 7. Stratford 8. Jefferson 9. Boyd 10. Littlefield

    CLASS 1A 1. Alto 2. Chilton 3. Windthorst 4. McCamey 5. Goldthwaite 6. Roscoe 7. Groveton 8. Shiner 9. West Sabine 10. Flatonia

  2. #2
    All-World
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    beaumont
    Posts
    1,384

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    5a looks ok. lufkin has something to prove at number 4.

    do you have the link to this???
    "IF YOU DO NOT INVEST VERY MUCH, THEN DEFEAT DOES NOT HURT VERY MUCH AND WINNING IS NOT VERY EXCITING" - Dick Vermiel

  3. #3
    All-Galaxy 78 Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,265

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Baytown Lee should go into this season ranked ahead of North Shore, IMHO.

  4. #4
    Administrator ktchamp97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Katy
    Posts
    3,355

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Lufkin, North Shore, and Westlake are too high, but it's hard to argue with the other 7.

    KT and I have been working on our Top 25, but this year, just filling out the top 10 seems to be difficult. There seem to be only 3 teams that truly stand out, but there are about 40 teams that can make a case to be ranked, including some teams that would definitely surprise quite a few people.

  5. #5
    All-Galaxy Drake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,254

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by 78 Spartan View Post
    Baytown Lee should go into this season ranked ahead of North Shore, IMHO.
    I agree, but I don't think either deserve Top Ten. Lee has the potential, but they are receiving some attention based on a returning team that had one great performance against a team that turned out to be not all it was cracked up to be. I think North Shore made the Top Ten based on its reputation and its a safe pick because they'll probably be 10-0 when the playoffs roll around, but they probably ARE NOT one of the ten best teams. Lee might be one of the ten best once the playoffs roll around, but if I were voting I'd want them to show me something first before I gave them my vote.
    Last edited by Drake; 04-03-2007 at 08:09 AM.

  6. #6
    All-Universe c-lisle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In the heart of East Texas
    Posts
    5,063

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by ktchamp97 View Post
    Lufkin, North Shore, and Westlake are too high, but it's hard to argue with the other 7.

    KT and I have been working on our Top 25, but this year, just filling out the top 10 seems to be difficult. There seem to be only 3 teams that truly stand out, but there are about 40 teams that can make a case to be ranked, including some teams that would definitely surprise quite a few people.
    As you know Lufkin has been extremely talented in the new millenium and there is no sign of that dropping off. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be there until it is proven otherwise on the field. I guess if you go off of returning starters then maybe you wouldn't rank them that high but we know there is much more to it than that. Lufkin is a top notch program and deserves that ranking.
    "I was worried but the more I think about it all Longview has is history and reputation....they are due for a loss at lobo and the horn jags can do it... - paige70


    Proverbs 17:28 - "Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips he is considered perceptive."

    Do you know my King? http://theiowaharvest.com/myking

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hum's House
    Posts
    12,582

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I agree, but I don't think either deserve Top Ten. Lee has the potential, but they are receiving some attention based on a returning team that had one great performance against a team that turned out to be not all it was cracked up to be. I think North Shore made the Top Ten based on its reputation and its a safe pick because they'll probably be 10-0 when the playoffs roll around, but they probably ARE NOT one of the ten best teams. Lee might be one of the ten best once the playoffs roll around, but if I were voting I'd want them to show me something first before I gave them my vote.
    i'd put them in the Top 15. Maybe 13 or 14. And then by the time the playoffs roll around, if everything goes well...They should come out of 21-5a with a couple close calls but a 10-0 record nontheless. Getting out of 21-5a with a 10-0 is going to be tough, and if they can... They deserve the Top 5-8 spot if you ask me (if they go 10-0, and if 21-5a is as competitive as they were last year)

  8. #8
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I agree, but I don't think either deserve Top Ten. Lee has the potential, but they are receiving some attention based on a returning team that had one great performance against a team that turned out to be not all it was cracked up to be. I think North Shore made the Top Ten based on its reputation and its a safe pick because they'll probably be 10-0 when the playoffs roll around, but they probably ARE NOT one of the ten best teams. Lee might be one of the ten best once the playoffs roll around, but if I were voting I'd want them to show me something first before I gave them my vote.

    in hindsight... i would disagree with this statement.. simply because NS shot themselves in the foot against pearland and it was a close game... could have gone either way... and pearland went on to bow out in a close to a good westlake team that gave SLC a few problems in the title game.... so... i give lee a lot of credit...because if they could have beaten shore..they could have very well been the ones playing in the title game......
    Last edited by t00 playa; 04-03-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hum's House
    Posts
    12,582

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by too playa View Post
    in hindsight... i would disagree with this statement.. simply because NS shot themselves in the foot against pearland and it was a close game... could have gone either way... and pearland went on to bow out in a close to a good westlake team that gave SLC a few problems in the title game.... so... i give lee a lot of credit...because if they could have beaten shore..they could have very well been the ones playing in the title game......
    Great point.

    On another note:

    North Shore has alot to prove before they can be put in the Top 10. Only because they lost alot to Grad. and dont have the usual big names...Which could prove to be benifical.

  10. #10
    Administrator ktchamp97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Katy
    Posts
    3,355

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by c-lisle View Post
    As you know Lufkin has been extremely talented in the new millenium and there is no sign of that dropping off. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be there until it is proven otherwise on the field. I guess if you go off of returning starters then maybe you wouldn't rank them that high but we know there is much more to it than that. Lufkin is a top notch program and deserves that ranking.
    I don't disagree with any of that, I just think a #4 ranking is a bit high for a team that has to replace such key contributors. I didn't mean to say that they didn't deserve to be in the Top 10, I just don't think they're #4.

  11. #11
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
    Great point.

    On another note:

    North Shore has alot to prove before they can be put in the Top 10. Only because they lost alot to Grad. and dont have the usual big names...Which could prove to be benifical.

    i agree... too much to prove to deserve a ranking......and i dont have a problem with teams like lee who return many starters ranked in the top 5-10....
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hum's House
    Posts
    12,582

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by WOS87 View Post
    Dave Campbell put up an "early" coaches poll yesterday. A lot of usual suspects pretty much...

    CLASS 5A 1. SLC 2. Katy 3. Trinity 4. Lufkin 5. Cedar Hill 6. Westfield 7. North Shore 8. Westlake 9. Smithson Valley 10. Allen

    CLASS 4A 1. La Marque 2. Waco 3. Highland Park 4. Copperas Cove 5. Texas High 6. Stephenville 7. Lamar Consolidated 8. Alamo Heights 9. Brenham 10. Aledo

    CLASS 3A 1. Liberty Hill 2. Cuero 3. Celina 4. Liberty-Eylau 5. Giddings 6. West Orange-Stark 7. Wimberley 8. Gilmer 9. Wylie 10. Robinson

    CLASS 2A 1. Tatum 2. Mart 3. Marlin 4. Newton 5. Lexington 6. Cisco 7. Stratford 8. Jefferson 9. Boyd 10. Littlefield

    CLASS 1A 1. Alto 2. Chilton 3. Windthorst 4. McCamey 5. Goldthwaite 6. Roscoe 7. Groveton 8. Shiner 9. West Sabine 10. Flatonia
    I have no disagreements with this Ranking with the exception of NS, WF and Lufkin.

    NS is to high for a Preseason ranking. Westfield needs to be higher. And Lufkin is WAY to high for a preseason ranking.

    My top 5 ranking:
    1. SLC
    2. Katy
    3.Westfield
    4.Trinity
    5.Cedar hill

    Everything else looks about right.

  13. #13
    All-Galaxy Drake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,254

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    My Top Ten:

    1. Westfield
    2. SLC
    3. Trinity
    4. Allen
    5. Longview
    6. Plano East
    7. Katy
    8. Lufkin
    9. Cedar Hill
    10. Tyler Lee/Smithson Valley

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hum's House
    Posts
    12,582

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    My Top Ten:

    1. Westfield
    2. SLC
    3. Trinity
    4. Allen
    5. Longview
    6. Plano East
    7. Katy
    8. Lufkin
    9. Cedar Hill
    10. Tyler Lee/Smithson Valley

    Wow...Katy is really low, and Westfield is really high. Well, anything is possible. I def. Think Westfield is a legit contender this year.

  15. #15
    All-Galaxy ScottS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southlake, TX
    Posts
    3,234

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    What D1 recruits does Westfield have?
    110-9

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hum's House
    Posts
    12,582

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    What D1 recruits does Westfield have?
    alot of them have the potential to go D1... They just dont have the grades. Which is becoming IMO a Huge problem in the Greater Houston Area.

    They are one of the most talented team in the State, if not country.

  17. #17
    All-Galaxy Drake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,254

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
    Wow...Katy is really low, and Westfield is really high. Well, anything is possible. I def. Think Westfield is a legit contender this year.
    What? #7 in the state is NOT low. The fact is Katy has as good a shot as any team in the state to make it to the State Championship game, but that doesn't necessarily make them #1, 2, 3, or 4...

    But my top ten is based on heads up ability. The way I picked my top ten is I used SLC as my anchor team (started with them) and then took each school and compared them to SLC (did I think they could beat SLC) and moved them down the list (or up in the case of Westfield) until I thought they would beat the next team on the list. Do you honestly believe Katy should be the favorite heads up against SLC, Trinity, or Westfield? I don't. If you agree then that makes them 4 right there, doesn't it?

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hum's House
    Posts
    12,582

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What? #7 in the state is NOT low. The fact is Katy has as good a shot as any team in the state to make it to the State Championship game, but that doesn't necessarily make them #1, 2, 3, or 4...

    But my top ten is based on heads up ability. The way I picked my top ten is I used SLC as my anchor team (started with them) and then took each school and compared them to SLC (did I think they could beat SLC) and moved them down the list (or up in the case of Westfield) until I thought they would beat the next team on the list. Do you honestly believe Katy should be the favorite heads up against SLC, Trinity, or Westfield? I don't. If you agree then that makes them 4 right there, doesn't it?
    ok.. I understand how you did it. I dont approach the rankings in the same manner.

    BUT, i would still have Katy higher..using your Ranking system. 4 or 5.

  19. #19
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer WOS87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,573

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by trainin' the game View Post
    5a looks ok. lufkin has something to prove at number 4.

    do you have the link to this???

    Sorry about that... I meant to include it in the original post... scroll down to 4/2/07 to find the actual post.

    DCTF Early Coaches Poll

  20. #20
    All-World
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    beaumont
    Posts
    1,384

    Default Re: Early Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    My Top Ten:

    1. Westfield
    2. SLC
    3. Trinity
    4. Allen
    5. Longview
    6. Plano East
    7. Katy
    8. Lufkin
    9. Cedar Hill
    10. Tyler Lee/Smithson Valley

    whatever!
    "IF YOU DO NOT INVEST VERY MUCH, THEN DEFEAT DOES NOT HURT VERY MUCH AND WINNING IS NOT VERY EXCITING" - Dick Vermiel

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •