Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Music Listeners and Connoisseurs

Default Calling All Music Listeners and Connoisseurs

I'm in Honors Orchestra at my high school. I saw this video and it made me want to work on something for our spring concert next year, when I will be a senior. Our director is usually open to student-submitted ideas, so if we arrange it properly, it could definitely come to fruition. So what I ask of you is to come up with a list of your Top X number of Rock (I use the term rock lightly...The Beatles to Metallica, as long as it has a recognizable, its fair game at this point) songs (old, new, whatever). If it works, I'll try and record the concert and post it about a year from now. Thanks!

So far, we're thinking about Smells Like Teen Spirit, because it was our inspiration, and we were thinking about ending with some of Freebird.

P.S. apparently that is a Freshmen orchestra in the video, and I was not overall that impressed with their musical ability...not to toot our own horn, but our orchestra is pretty darn good.
    Mighty Owls Class of 2008!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer CoveMom's Avatar

Default Re: Calling All Music Listeners and Connoisseurs

"Stairway to Heaven" should lend itself to a nice flute or oboe solo. That's Led Zeppelin (the untitled album, commonly referred to as IV) for your young mind.
    "I get the ball, I throw the ball, and then I take a shower." Mariano Rivera

"I hope it doesn't attack me..." words spoken by RedRage00 upon seeing a small deer in my backyard.

I saw a performance by Elton John. Philadelphia freedom. He had both the London and New York Philharmonic Orchestras accompanying him. Stand by while I post the link.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalierdad View Post
    I saw a performance by Elton John. Philadelphia freedom. He had both the London and New York Philharmonic Orchestras accompanying him. Stand by while I post the link.
    OK found it.

Check this out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xir0ehyNe...elated&search=

You guys might have to recruit some band and choir members for that night though.
    Last edited by twcpfan1; 03-07-2007 at 08:21 PM.

anything by neil diamond has orchestra adaptation, particularly the entire "jonathon livingston seagul" album, which was mainly written for orchrestration. buddy holly's "it doesnt matter anymore" which was written by paul anka, "true love ways" and "raining in my heart" come to mind also. blondie's "heart of glass" and the rolling stones "paint it black".
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." -Nathan Hale (last words before being executed by the british for being a spy during the revolutionary war..he was a 21 y/o school teacher..he faced execution with dignity and like a MAN!)

"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

heyy im in orchestra too! this is my last year though. what instrument do you play?

thats such a cool idea to play those rock songs. i think that would be so fun to play and listen to. once you have a final arrangement or recording, you have to let us know!

oh and i definately agree that the orchestra in that video sucked.

wide-e-wide

Quote Originally Posted by cavalierdad View Post
    OK found it.

Check this out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xir0ehyNe...elated&search=

You guys might have to recruit some band and choir members for that night though.
    That was freaking awesome...thanks.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member

Go pick up S&M by Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony and let that serve as inspiration. jtk believes you can even by the sheet music as the SFS used. That will give you a great starting place for some songs. One of the most amazing performances you will ever see.

Nothing Else Matters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziThYl6B2vw

Enter Sandman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFDNK-4Z7TI

Master of Puppets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Bg3tLUlJk

One
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7p6EIWavc
    Last edited by jtk1519; 03-07-2007 at 10:37 PM.

If you want to put your strings to good use, do something from "Days of Future Past" by the Moody Blues. They used orchestra accompanyment in a lot of their music.

Here's a sample from the album, problem is it's live and not a studio version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLWBhNW3FM

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Miss Kitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlandowl08 View Post
    I'm in Honors Orchestra at my high school. I saw this video and it made me want to work on something for our spring concert next year, when I will be a senior. Our director is usually open to student-submitted ideas, so if we arrange it properly, it could definitely come to fruition. So what I ask of you is to come up with a list of your Top X number of Rock (I use the term rock lightly...The Beatles to Metallica, as long as it has a recognizable, its fair game at this point) songs (old, new, whatever). If it works, I'll try and record the concert and post it about a year from now. Thanks!

So far, we're thinking about Smells Like Teen Spirit, because it was our inspiration, and we were thinking about ending with some of Freebird.

P.S. apparently that is a Freshmen orchestra in the video, and I was not overall that impressed with their musical ability...not to toot our own horn, but our orchestra is pretty darn good.
    I think that is great!! Dust In The Wind is great for such an arrangement. Also anything from E.L.O.
    Cindy-"I am ready for some volleyball. Do you have any cheers ready for the girls?" Kitty - "Yeah, my cheer for Pup is always, "if you mess up, NO DINNER FOR YOU!"

Yall should play "Instrumedley" off the Dream Theater "Live at Budokan" Album
    Proudest Member of
    the Fightin' Texas Aggie
    Class of 2010!

A-WHOOP!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

You could end the concert with The Beatles' "A Day In The Life' since that song ends with an orchestra crescendo.
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!

I'm a cellist...there are so many great ideas here, it's going to be really hard to whittle it down. Whatever sheet music we can't find/can't afford we'll probably write ourselves...I'll keep you guys posted...more ideas are definitely welcome!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1493202984

That was one of the other student suggested ideas. The pianist came to our director the year before asking about it and worked really hard all summer even when even the director himself was uncertain. It worked out really well if I do say so myself.

The student is also 3rd chair violinist and a guitar player and played on the football team (O-Line).

puckett is raw.... thats all i have to say about that

Quote Originally Posted by gtowndrumma View Post
    puckett is raw.... thats all i have to say about that
    Hahaha, yeah pretty much

lol, he sure has gotten creative with that video camera

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CoveMom View Post
    "Stairway to Heaven" should lend itself to a nice flute or oboe solo. That's Led Zeppelin (the untitled album, commonly referred to as IV) for your young mind.
    Second stairway to heaven

Quote Originally Posted by CoveMom View Post
    Ditto.

That or "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. Think that'd sound pretty friggin' cool.

Banned

Farmer likes music and misses that he is no longer a student at UNT because he can no longer get in for free to watch all the UNT concerts that the sypmphony and brass puts on.