Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakes in Southlake?

Default Snakes in Southlake?

I've lived in SL for 10 years and just today I saw a very tiny brown snake. I thought SL was enough of a city that there were no snakes. Has anyone seen other snakes?
    110-9

Banned

Default Re: Snakes in Southlake?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I've lived in SL for 10 years and just today I saw a very tiny brown snake. I thought SL was enough of a city that there were no snakes. Has anyone seen other snakes?
    Man, growing up in the inner city...i could see the downtown buildings...and i still saw snakes..are they not suppose to be in the city?

But then again, i live in Houston

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member

"I have had it with these mother snakes in this mother suburb!"
    I am lonny's love child

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Southlake has had a bunch of snakes for quite a long time. I am sure that many of them have been chased out of where they used to live, but they are still around. When they built on the 32 acres behind my place, it was snake and critter central around here for about a year until they all cleared out. Everytime the builders move into a previously undeveloped field, all the critters have to go someplace else. I have encounteres corral snakes on occasion in SOuthlake, especially around the edges of the lake and there are certainly some mocs in Lake Grapevine.

during the spring thru late fall i see a snake everyday, mostly just copperheads and rat snakes. rat snakes are very common in the suberbs..they live at times in walls and attics of homes, in trees, in the shrubs, under small portable buildings..anywhere there is food and water.
    i live in the country and while changing the blades on my lawn tractor last summer, was bit by a rat snake while crawling under the mower deck..i dont kill rat snakes, so i just picked it up and threw it in the woods, rat snakes are very efficient at rodent control and their bite is little more than a pinch. copperheads on the other hand are a concern(since i have small children) so i usually kill them, but they are usually more concerned at getting away from me than striking at me. but to answer your qustion..yes snakes are everywhere,even in cement cities.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." -Nathan Hale (last words before being executed by the british for being a spy during the revolutionary war..he was a 21 y/o school teacher..he faced execution with dignity and like a MAN!)

"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    Southlake has had a bunch of snakes for quite a long time. I am sure that many of them have been chased out of where they used to live, but they are still around. When they built on the 32 acres behind my place, it was snake and critter central around here for about a year until they all cleared out. Everytime the builders move into a previously undeveloped field, all the critters have to go someplace else. I have encounteres corral snakes on occasion in SOuthlake, especially around the edges of the lake and there are certainly some mocs in Lake Grapevine.
    there isnt nothing funnier than watching a pissed off coral snake when it thinks its cornered.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." -Nathan Hale (last words before being executed by the british for being a spy during the revolutionary war..he was a 21 y/o school teacher..he faced execution with dignity and like a MAN!)

"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

Quote Originally Posted by toddg View Post
    there isnt nothing funnier than watching a pissed off coral snake when it thinks its cornered.

Lets see...how does it go?...."Red n Yella kill a......." Ahhh..who cares..eat it anyway!

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

Quote Originally Posted by toddg View Post
    during the spring thru late fall i see a snake everyday, mostly just copperheads and rat snakes. rat snakes are very common in the suberbs..they live at times in walls and attics of homes, in trees, in the shrubs, under small portable buildings..anywhere there is food and water.
    i live in the country and while changing the blades on my lawn tractor last summer, was bit by a rat snake while crawling under the mower deck..i dont kill rat snakes, so i just picked it up and threw it in the woods, rat snakes are very efficient at rodent control and their bite is little more than a pinch. copperheads on the other hand are a concern(since i have small children) so i usually kill them, but they are usually more concerned at getting away from me than striking at me. but to answer your qustion..yes snakes are everywhere,even in cement cities.
    I've got a 4 footer been living under my house for the last 3 years, I don't have a rodent problem, and I've threatened all my kids that if they kill that snake, their dismembered bodies will be found in a dumpster.
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

Banned

I grew up in Lewisville roughly 1.5 mile from Lewisville Lake. We had many creeks and watersheds around our neighborhood which was one of the first ones in North Lewisville along Justin Road. We used to play in the creeks and trails that led into Lake Lewisville and I actually had a friend that looked forward to catching snakes. I hate snakes and and never wanted anything to do with them. We actually had a snakes crawling around our playground when I went to Highland Village Elementary. All hte girls would ruin back up to the blacktop screaming their heads off which was pretty funny.
    It's sad everytime I drive back to that old neighborhood because our fields we used to play in and ride our bikes in have all turned into resdiential neighborhoods and stores now.
    A sad day everytime I see it

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    Hey Doc, mocs aren't the only thing on Lake Grapevine. There also happens to be rattlers out by the lake now. I work out here at the Gaylord, and before they built The Glass Cactus, I would walk out by the lake. I would always spot a couple of rattlers about 10-15 feet away.
    R.I.P. Jennifer R. Taylor July 18, 1986-January 22, 2010!

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfan View Post
    I grew up in Lewisville roughly 1.5 mile from Lewisville Lake. We had many creeks and watersheds around our neighborhood which was one of the first ones in North Lewisville along Justin Road. We used to play in the creeks and trails that led into Lake Lewisville and I actually had a friend that looked forward to catching snakes. I hate snakes and and never wanted anything to do with them. We actually had a snakes crawling around our playground when I went to Highland Village Elementary. All hte girls would ruin back up to the blacktop screaming their heads off which was pretty funny.
    It's sad everytime I drive back to that old neighborhood because our fields we used to play in and ride our bikes in have all turned into resdiential neighborhoods and stores now.
    A sad day everytime I see it
    Did you ever go fishing to Lewisville Fishing Barge? I spent a bunch of time there from about 1970 through about 1982, and again back in about 1989-1992.
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoOwls View Post
    Did you ever go fishing to Lewisville Fishing Barge? I spent a bunch of time there from about 1970 through about 1982, and again back in about 1989-1992.
    Man the fishign barge brings back many memories. I would have friends over in elementary school and my dad would drop us off at the barge for a good 3-4 hours and we would have blast there on a friday night. after we got home we ordered pizzas and then snuk out to go wrap the girls houses we had crushes on but were always to afraid to admit. you know back in the day when you like a girl so your always means to her?

But yes I loved the fishing barge, they had great burgers out there too.

If the snake you saw was brownish, almost grayish in color with a white underbelly and was fairly small, it is a good chance it was the ever present Texas grass snake. They are all over the DFW area, but from talking to neighbors they are particularly plentiful around Southlake, Grapevine and Keller. The snake is a harmless one (non-venemous.) I often find them in and around my pool in the spring and early summer. They are also found along my driveway and sidewalk edges. When I use the the trusty old edger I sometimes deflate the grass snake population around my home.
    Two Rules to Live By:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff
    2. Convince yourself everything is small stuff.

All-Interweb

a snake tried to attack me last summer when i was mowing the lawn...true story. we've also found a dead snake on our front porch, so they're definetly around.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

ive seen one snake. and it was dead. it was in my pool. it was like 6 inches long.
    FOF

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer slorch's Avatar

Dodge is gone, the snakes return. Makes sense to me...
    CJK5H

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    Dodge is gone, the snakes return. Makes sense to me...
    No, Dodge still lives here. There must be another explanation.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer slorch's Avatar

his focus is elsewhere, but only because he wills it so...
    CJK5H

I used to live by the HS and I would see water moccasins by the lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    Whats wrong with you? Is your mind so demented that you feel like I've ever posted anything that deserves a post like that?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TXFOOSBALL View Post
    I used to live by the HS and I would see water moccasins by the lake.
    in that south ridge lakes pond? or the timberlake one?
    FOF