Thread: Does Coach of the Year = Championship winners?

Default Does Coach of the Year = Championship winners?

I think that is the way it goes. It seems like with All-District, All-State and the awards from here, the Coach of the Year awards just go to the team's coach that won the district/state championship.

I personally don't agree with this all the time, especially this year. I believe Kenny Perry from Arlington Bowie deserved the award more than Todd Dodge, and deserved it just as much as the Cedar Hill coach. He resurrected a team like a Phoenix that had just lost the bulk of its talent from a 1-9 team the year before and lots of discipline issues. Basically, the team had nothing going for it, and he turned the team around to a respectable 3rd place finish in my opinion the best district in Region 1.

TCU Football

Default Re: Does Coach of the Year = Championship winners?

I was also wondering the same thing. I know coach Dodge is a very good coach and very deserving of coach of the year, but i don't think their was a single person on this board that didnt expect to see Southlake Carroll in at least the semifinals against Lufkin if not winning the whole thing. In coach Wood's case however, i don't think their was a single fan of 14-5a that predicted Westwood would make the playoffs, let alone not be the last place team. Coach Wood coached Round Rock Westwood from an embarrassing 2-8 team to a very solid 9-3 season and a 2nd place finish in the district (thats right...ahead of the infamous RR high dragons and Cedar Park).

Coach Wood of Westwood High school IMO should be coach of the year.

NOTE: I didn't even realize, but that was my 1000th post!!!!! Does that make me a seasoned vet?
    Last edited by LeanderLions3033; 12-29-2006 at 11:08 PM. Reason: 1000th post

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue View Post
    I think that is the way it goes. It seems like with All-District, All-State and the awards from here, the Coach of the Year awards just go to the team's coach that won the district/state championship.

I personally don't agree with this all the time, especially this year. I believe Kenny Perry from Arlington Bowie deserved the award more than Todd Dodge, and deserved it just as much as the Cedar Hill coach. He resurrected a team like a Phoenix that had just lost the bulk of its talent from a 1-9 team the year before and lots of discipline issues. Basically, the team had nothing going for it, and he turned the team around to a respectable 3rd place finish in my opinion the best district in Region 1.
    I have to agree with the Kenny Perry pick. I think Coach McGuire did an awesome job and being a homer I am glad he got the nod, but Bowie took everyone by surprise this year.
    "PROTECT THE FAMILY!"
    TTHL
    D.P.S

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

no, check out the coaches of the year that year. not coach dodge

http://web.archive.org/web/200502070...asonawards.htm
    FOF