Thread: My Day in San Antonio

Default My Day in San Antonio

Being a good father, I bought tickets to the state championship games in San Antonio and took my son and one of his offensive lineman friends over for the day to help them project what it could be like for them next year (they are both juniors) if all goes perfectly.

I figured we'd see one great game and one blowout. I was both 100% accurate with that prediction, yet 100% wrong with it as well.

When Stratford played Cy Falls, we thought they were athletic and fast, yet I am not sure Cy Falls had even one of the top ten fastest players on the field today against Cedar Hill. It wasn't just William Cole -- who was obviously the player of the game and should be the 5A player of the year, the way he carried that team -- but damn that entire defense was just lightning fast. Reminded me of Dallas Carter in their heyday.

Too bad once again the UIL format denies us the opportunity to see two 16-0 teams play to determine on the field which is the true champion. Cedar Hill does not deserve to be known as the footnote on SLC's big threepeat day.

I had no idea Westlake would put up such an inspired performance. Their first half was a work of art -- reminiscent of Villanova's game against Georgetown in the 1985 NCAA Finals. That was a perfect first half by the Chaps. Even so, up 15-7, I think most everyone knew the Chaps had used all ten fingers to keep the dike from busting. I thought WL needed to open the second half with an onside kick, to keep SLC on their heels for another quarter. Once SLC got going, they were not going to be stopped. But kudos to WL for giving us a decent show. They made the Dragons earn it. Too bad Cy Falls didn't give us a similar good show.

We are once again left to wonder whether the larger of the two 16-0 teams (champ of the "small team" bracket) would measure up to the smaller of the two 16-0 teams (champ of the "large team" bracket). Silly UIL. We can find a place for 32 fourth place teams but we can't determine who is the champion of 5A.

Congrats to the Longhorns and the Dragons, deserving winners today, both.

Now, enough of football.... let's talk sociology. The people watching at the Alamodome was really great. The most interesting vignette was watching the perfectly coiffed, decked to the nines, Desperate Housewives of Southlake, Texas give a wide berth to the delirious, victorious Rappin' Mamas from Cedar Hill in between games as one group filed out and the other waited patiently to file in. Sort of like the one day of the year that "the help" gets to use the Country Club. Some really funny looks exchanged. It was a scene that Spike Lee would have loved.

Finally, I wasn't sure whether to root for Southlake Carroll or Austin Westlake in game two, but when I saw all 100 blond clones hit the field in green and black, I had a Boys from Brazil flashback. We couldn't bring ourselves to hang with that crowd. That's when we headed over to the Westlake side of the stadium, and where we noticed the big difference: far fewer, uhmmm, how should I put it?, cosmetic surgeries per capita. The Austin women looked like they were born beautiful, woke up this morning beautiful, and hardly needed to check themselves in the mirror.
    Last edited by 78 Spartan; 12-25-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Default Re: My Day in San Antonio

Interesting analogy there Spartan..both of the games and the stands

Written with cleaver thought no doubt..and mindfully descriptive. Sounds like a wave of the west coast valley has found it's way into North Texas!
    Bobcat Fight Never Dies

I watched the switch between games and saw polite and supportive exchanges between the parents and supporters. It turned out that the Metroplex teams were on the same side and comments about telling the state where the champions came from abounded.

As far as the socialogical commentary - a few selected examples does not a community make. We live next door to Southlake and have made our share of derisive comments (about the implants or the Hummers) but much of that is just silliness or envy. We know many people in SL and they would do as well in the heartland or on the coasts. They are real people - they want the best for their kids (as we do), they want a safe environment for their family (as we do), they work hard (as we do) so they can try to better themselves (as we do).

Do note that such talk does not change ones own situation...

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 78 Spartan View Post
    Finally, I wasn't sure whether to root for Southlake Carroll or Austin Westlake in game two, but when I saw all 100 blond clones hit the field in green and black, I had a Boys from Brazil flashback. We couldn't bring ourselves to hang with that crowd. That's when we headed over to the Westlake side of the stadium, and where we noticed the big difference: far fewer, uhmmm, how should I put it?, cosmetic surgeries per capita. The Austin women looked like they were born beautiful, woke up this morning beautiful, and hardly needed to check themselves in the mirror.
    LMFAO! LOVE IT!
    Get Rowdy or Go Home!

Scout Teamer

Quote Originally Posted by RedRage00 View Post
    LMFAO! LOVE IT!

thas ATX for ya baby.. big tits n good lookin girls..

I think I saw you!!
    during the first half of the cy Falls game were you sitting on the 2nd levels near the 50 yard line?

I thought it was funny how both the games had fans decked out in red and green!!
    WE WILL HIT 'EM
    WE WILL WRECK 'EM
    HIT 'EM WRECK 'EM TEXAS TECH!!
    ♥♥Alpha Delta Pi♥♥♥

Being a good father, I bought tickets to the state championship games in San Antonio and took my son and one of his offensive lineman friends over for the day to help them project what it could be like for them next year (they are both juniors) if all goes perfectly.

I figured we'd see one great game and one blowout. I was both 100% accurate with that prediction, yet 100% wrong with it as well.

When Stratford played Cy Falls, we thought they were athletic and fast, yet I am not sure Cy Falls had even one of the top ten fastest players on the field today against Cedar Hill. It wasn't just William Coles -- who was obviously the player of the game and should be the 5A player of the year, the way he carried that team -- but damn that entire defense was just lightning fast. Reminded me of Dallas Carter in their heyday.

Too bad once again the UIL format denies us the opportunity to see two 16-0 teams play to determine on the field which is the true champion. Cedar Hill does not deserve to be known as the footnote on SLC's big threepeat day.

I had no idea Westlake would put up such an inspired performance. Their first half was a work of art -- reminiscent of Villanova's game against Georgetown in the 1985 NCAA Finals. That was a perfect first half by the Chaps. Even so, up 15-7, I think most everyone knew the Chaps had used all ten fingers to keep the dike from busting. I thought WL needed to open the second half with an onside kick, to keep SLC on their heels for another quarter. Once SLC got going, they were not going to be stopped. But kudos to WL for giving us a decent show. They made the Dragons earn it. Too bad Cy Falls didn't give us a similar good show.

We are once again left to wonder whether the larger of the two 16-0 teams (champ of the "small team" bracket) would measure up to the smaller of the two 16-0 teams (champ of the "large team" bracket). Silly UIL. We can find a place for 32 fourth place teams but we can't determine who is the champion of 5A.

Now, enough of football.... let's talk sociology. The people watching at the Alamodome was really great. The most interesting vignette was watching the perfectly coiffed, decked to the nines, Desperate Housewives of Southlake, Texas give a wide berth to the delirious, victorious Rappin' Mamas from Cedar Hill in between games as one group filed out and the other waited patiently to file in. Sort of like the one day of the year that "the help" gets to use the Country Club. Some really funny looks exchanged. It was a scene that Spike Lee would have loved.

I wish this would be cut & pasted across every Texas newspaper ASAP. This is the funniest thing I've probably ever read on this message board.

I wish I could of been there to witness all of that. Heck, I probably wouldnt of watched much of the football game. I would of been to busy people watching.

The Cedar Hill "rappin mommas" crossing paths with the SLC "Desperate Housewives" in the walk ways around the Alamodome..

Man, I wonder if anyone got thrown into the San Antonio River along the River walk last night ??

Anyone got attendance numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    As far as the socialogical commentary - a few selected examples does not a community make. We live next door to Southlake and have made our share of derisive comments (about the implants or the Hummers) but much of that is just silliness or envy. We know many people in SL and they would do as well in the heartland or on the coasts. They are real people - they want the best for their kids (as we do), they want a safe environment for their family (as we do), they work hard (as we do) so they can try to better themselves (as we do)..
    Good points. Hey, I wasn't hating on anyone, just reporting the results of the people-watching that helped us kill two hours between games. It was a slice of life. And sure, I was generalizing. I didn't have room to report on each and every one of them individually.

Hey, we've got good friends in Southlake also, and we love them like they were our own siblings. There is clearly a standard of excellence in that community that sets them apart (even if you didn't notice, as you put it, the implants and the Hummers). And, for the record, this SMU grad would much prefer to have Southlake neighbors than Highland Park neighbors.........

BTW, it's not like Westlake Hills is an impoverished community. They just seem to wear it more casually -- as one would expect Austinites to do.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Do note that such talk does not change ones own situation...
    My situation is just fine, thanks for worrying about me though.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

Good points. Hey, I wasn't hating on anyone, just reporting the results of the people-watching that helped us kill two hours between games. It was a slice of life. And sure, I was generalizing. I didn't have room to report on each and every one of them individually.

Hey, we've got good friends in Southlake also, and we love them like they were our own siblings. There is clearly a standard of excellence in that community that sets them apart (even if you didn't notice, as you put it, the implants and the Hummers). And, for the record, this SMU grad would much prefer to have Southlake neighbors than Highland Park neighbors.........

BTW, it's not like Westlake Hills is an impoverished community. They just seem to wear it more casually -- as one would expect Austinites to do.

My situation is just fine, thanks for worrying about me though.
    That's exactly why I plan to move to Austin after grad school.....I love the ATX!
    Get Rowdy or Go Home!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRage00 View Post
    That's exactly why I plan to move to Austin after grad school.....I love the ATX!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Traffic already sucks so dont add to it!!!

The Austin women looked like they were born beautiful, woke up this morning beautiful, and hardly needed to check themselves in the mirror.
    Smirk.
    My wife (and daughter) thank you.

All-State

When Stratford played Cy Falls, we thought they were athletic and fast, yet I am not sure Cy Falls had even one of the top ten fastest players on the field today against Cedar Hill. It wasn't just William Coles -- who was obviously the player of the game and should be the 5A player of the year, the way he carried that team -- but damn that entire defense was just lightning fast. Reminded me of Dallas Carter in their heyday.

Good! and stay on the other sideline. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out! No Haters allowed...

ps. On the drive down we had a brief conversation in Burnet with a hunter who was cleaning his fingernails with his buck knife. He said he was going to root for Southlake because he couldn't stand "those snooting Westlake wife's who always have their nose in the air". Hate is where you find it.
    Last edited by DragonDad; 12-24-2006 at 02:03 PM.

All-District

[QUOTE=DragonDad;394328]Good! and stay on the other sideline. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out! No Haters allowed...

Why, does the truth hurt!!!!!!!!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

[QUOTE=Bandnerd1983;394342]
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDad View Post
    Good! and stay on the other sideline. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out! No Haters allowed...

Why, does the truth hurt!!!!!!!!
    the fact that we have some very beautiful women hereabouts, or what?
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous