Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious about opnions of SLC versus "X" at this point

Default Curious about opnions of SLC versus "X" at this point

For the "real" football fans, not absolute homers, not 10 year old trash-talkers, but those of you who have seen these teams or know what you're talking about...what are your thoughts on SLC vs the following opponents?

(Obviously I'm assuming SLC and the teams get this far...and being that i'm not a player or coach, I'm allowed...so don't post some crap about "you're so arrogant looking ahead", blah blah blah)

SLC vs ET
    SLC vs LP
    SLC vs NS

IMHO I think SLC matches up very favorably versus ET and NS, with the latter being the worst of the 4 teams...I just don't think they have the offense to hang with any of the other 3. Lufkin on the other hand worries me...there are VERY few games in the last 5 seasons that I thought were truly "up in the air" and could go either way...this year's Lufkin game is one of them. If I were a betting man...I simply wouldn't bet on that game lol

All-Galaxy

Default Re: Curious about opnions of SLC versus "X" at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixrising05
    For the "real" football fans, not absolute homers, not 10 year old trash-talkers, but those of you who have seen these teams or know what you're talking about...what are your thoughts on SLC vs the following opponents?

(Obviously I'm assuming SLC and the teams get this far...and being that i'm not a player or coach, I'm allowed...so don't post some crap about "you're so arrogant looking ahead", blah blah blah)

SLC vs ET
    SLC vs LP
    SLC vs NS

IMHO I think SLC matches up very favorably versus ET and NS, with the latter being the worst of the 4 teams...I just don't think they have the offense to hang with any of the other 3. Lufkin on the other hand worries me...there are VERY few games in the last 5 seasons that I thought were truly "up in the air" and could go either way...this year's Lufkin game is one of them. If I were a betting man...I simply wouldn't bet on that game lol

With all due respect, SLC has yet to face a team capable of what these 3 teams can do. Its hard to tell for sure, but I think SLC can beat all 3. However, I think all 3 could beat SLC. Just taking a guess, I say they get past ET, and if they are going to lose, it will be against Lufkin or NS. Its just hard to tell right now, because Dodge (QB) has not really faced a team that can be compared to these. Its going to be different. These teams should have the speed to match SLC. Honestly, its up in the air right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    With all due respect, SLC has yet to face a team capable of what these 3 teams can do. Its hard to tell for sure, but I think SLC can beat all 3. However, I think all 3 could beat SLC. Just taking a guess, I say they get past ET, and if they are going to lose, it will be against Lufkin or NS. Its just hard to tell right now, because Dodge (QB) has not really faced a team that can be compared to these. Its going to be different. These teams should have the speed to match SLC. Honestly, its up in the air right now.
    I agree completely...Grapevine and Northwest exposed the kinks in SLC's offensive line, getting consistent penetration and putting pressure on Dodge...against those two teams Dodge was able to scramble outside and turn sacks into positive yardage...but the Ds on the above 3 teams won't be so generous

Banned

I agree completely...Grapevine and Northwest exposed the kinks in SLC's offensive line, getting consistent penetration and putting pressure on Dodge...against those two teams Dodge was able to scramble outside and turn sacks into positive yardage...but the Ds on the above 3 teams won't be so generous

If thats the case then Trinity will be able to exploit that with their defense. They have some very good defensive tackles and their linebackers fly to the football.
    With the reputation of North Shore and Lufkin both you know they will be able to expliot that too.
    However with the reputation of success come playoff time that Carroll has, I'm sure that the Carroll O-Line will take all steps neccessary to correct this flaw.

also my perception could have been off, as it APPEARED in the grapevine game that Coach Dodge was experimenting with several offensive plays that lend themselves to a "breakdown" of the OL: QB draw, option play from Dodge to Newton, etc..so maybe the OL isn't as bad as they looked...that is the only game i have seen this year in person, the rest I listened to on the radio

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfan
    If thats the case then Trinity will be able to exploit that with their defense. They have some very good defensive tackles and their linebackers fly to the football.
    With the reputation of North Shore and Lufkin both you know they will be able to expliot that too.
    However with the reputation of success come playoff time that Carroll has, I'm sure that the Carroll O-Line will take all steps neccessary to correct this flaw.
    and since it takes defense to win championships, i think it is likely that the slc d will have to step up, which they have shown a strong propensity to do this year.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Banned

also my perception could have been off, as it APPEARED in the grapevine game that Coach Dodge was experimenting with several offensive plays that lend themselves to a "breakdown" of the OL: QB draw, option play from Dodge to Newton, etc..so maybe the OL isn't as bad as they looked...that is the only game i have seen this year in person, the rest I listened to on the radio

I have no doubt that the Carroll o-line play will be supurb again. I think that has been the most over looked unit on this team the last few years. I thoughttheir O line play a year ago was every bit as good as Trinity's and in my mind has been some of the best in the entire country. They are well coached and very physical and hardly ever make any mistakes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy
    and since it takes defense to win championships, i think it is likely that the slc d will have to step up, which they have shown a strong propensity to do this year.

its been a trademark for them the last few years its just always seems to never be given the proper credit.

I agree, somewhat, with zippy.

SLC has not been pressured this year - and there have been games where they have not looked real sharp. This would suggest that there could be a real issue when they meet a top caliber team that puts on the pressure.

They have also not really played a full game at full throttle - so there is a question (in my mind, at least) whether they are up to a heavy third or fourth quarter with a close game situation.

In the past - they have been able to take these challenges and play a full game. This has yet to be shown this year.

As far as the upcoming games:

SLC vs ET - this will probably be their first full game challenge from a team that will be looking to wear them down. It will come down to whether the SLC D-line can keep ET from playing their game, for the full game. If they can - they will build up a lead and then need to defend it in second half when the D-line either tires or the 2nd team gives a little more. This will be the real signal to the rest of the state as to whether SLC is ready to defend or not.

SLC vs LP - so much history, so much to prove. If ET exposes weaknesses or depth issues - LP will be looking to press it even further than ET could. Both teams can score and both look to steal the will of their opponent - so this will be a true treat to the Texas HS FB watcher. The winner of this will be the predominant favorite for the finals.

SLC vs. NS- As far as our D goes they're pretty solid, but they have yet to be tested on the pass. We'll c how that turns out against Lee and possibly Dulles. Our O is pretty good but not where they need to be 2 compete w/ teams like SLC. I know that they too have not been playing full throttle esp. 4 these district games. We'll get 2 c what they're really made of in these nest few weeks... or week . My pick would be SLC but I have a feeling the score would be low. Something like 28-10.
    Break their spirts, break their will,THA SHO is real, it's how we feel!

All-District

In '03 SLC scored with two minutes to go to beat Monterey 42-35. This after Monterey spotted them a 17-0 lead. If both teams are still around for game four, SLC better not be looking forward to playing Lufkin in game five - assuming they're still around.

This year's Plainsmen team is close to being as good as that year's team. I'm not sure SLC's is.

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman1
    In '03 SLC scored with two minutes to go to beat Monterey 42-35. This after Monterey spotted them a 17-0 lead. If both teams are still around for game four, SLC better not be looking forward to playing Lufkin in game five - assuming they're still around.

This year's Plainsmen team is close to being as good as that year's team. I'm not sure SLC's is.
    From what I've seen (we're next door) the SLC D is probably more dominant than the previous year's. Their DefCoach (Mendoza?) really has them playing in top form. Unfortunately, they have not been truly challenged in district or pre-district. This has plus and minus consequences - plus side - the second teamers have had good and credible play time and are known quantity to the coaching staff who will know who they can put in - on minus side - have not had to play tough for a full game with the top players (but see plus side which will mitigate any problems found).

The Offense is 'different' than past year's. SLC strengths over time have shifted - so it will not be the same game. SLC game plan is more flexible this year, but arguably they may not be as crisp. The flexibility does buy them some respect as they do take advantage of the gaps in the defense and this tends to cause the defense to be more cautious which tends to offset the impacts from the lower crispness.

Me thinks that SLC will not worry about game 5 until after game 4 done. And if you and they are around for game 4 - know for a fact that they will be not be looking ahead but will focus on you and yours.

All-District

Plainsmen added a new DC/Associate HC this year - Kelvin Ratliff. If the name sounds familiar, it's because he was the DC for Midland Lee during their three championship runs. Finally, they have a D to go with Morton's deadly option.

Long way to go though. :-)
    Last edited by plainsman1; 11-14-2006 at 09:53 PM.

All-World

The SLC 06 team is better than than the 03 SLC team. The defense is clearly the difference. 03 was good, just not the caliber of 06. I would love a rematch with Lubbock. This time THEY travel to the Metroplex. Same result though.

All-District

Would love to play you again. Our D's strength is LB's and DB's. Don't want to play a power team like ET. Good luck to ya.

All-World

Would love to play you again. Our D's strength is LB's and DB's. Don't want to play a power team like ET. Good luck to ya.
    Likewise. If we do play again it will be for the Region 1 title. Game 14. Good luck.

All-Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons
    The SLC 06 team is better than than the 03 SLC team. The defense is clearly the difference. 03 was good, just not the caliber of 06. I would love a rematch with Lubbock. This time THEY travel to the Metroplex. Same result though.
    I think its kind of difficult to tell this early? I think if they continue you could say this is true, but they have a lot of teams with an offense not even close to what they have seen to go. It seems every year, they blow out teams and those teams get maybe 14 average against SLC. Then in the playoffs they start to give up close to a 30 point average when they meet the good teams. I also think that 2003 SLC played much better regular season teams. This teams D could be better, but I think we need to see what takes place from the 2nd week on to really get an idea.

Also, to add to the threads subject, special teams can become an issue. Have they fixed this? Years past it has been a problem.

All-District

BTW, travelling to the metroplex is no big deal. When you play football in West Texas you're used to travelling. 2-5A goes from Amarillo to San Angelo, which is roughly a six hour drive. We open friday night in El Paso, which is about seven hours by bus. Heck, we've even had playoff games played in New Mexico with El Paso teams.

Big crowds are nothing new either. Odessa's stadium seats 20,000, San Angelo's 18,000 and Midland's !7,000.

Guess what I'm trying to say is - we'll show up. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    I think its kind of difficult to tell this early? I think if they continue you could say this is true, but they have a lot of teams with an offense not even close to what they have seen to go. It seems every year, they blow out teams and those teams get maybe 14 average against SLC. Then in the playoffs they start to give up close to a 30 point average when they meet the good teams. I also think that 2003 SLC played much better regular season teams. This teams D could be better, but I think we need to see what takes place from the 2nd week on to really get an idea.

Also, to add to the threads subject, special teams can become an issue. Have they fixed this? Years past it has been a problem.
    Yes and no. In the past several years I would cringe everytime SLC was kicking off OR returning. It seemed they frequently bobbled/fumbled the ball on returns, and too often allowed the other team to return the ball out too far. This year however, we have had no turnovers (as far as I know) by the sp. team unit. I would say on average opponents get 10-20 yards on returns..so nothing too bad. The punter is inconsistent, but the kicker is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons
    03' chase daniel reg. season
    2,548 yds passing 32 tds
    869 yds rushing 10 tds

06' riley dodge reg. season
    2,642 yds passing 36 tds
    1,019 yds rushing 12 tds
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." -Nathan Hale (last words before being executed by the british for being a spy during the revolutionary war..he was a 21 y/o school teacher..he faced execution with dignity and like a MAN!)

"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."