Thread: If Lufkin wins state in 2006 Div I.....

All-State

Default If Lufkin wins state in 2006 Div I.....

...I will never say anything bad about Lufkin again. Whew...what a bracket.

Last time Lufkin exited early was to a Wing T team. Klein and A&M both Wing-T in the first two rounds. Then Westfield's defense...then SLC or ET.

Get thru that and they have my total respect.

Administrator

Default Re: If Lufkin wins state in 2006 Div I.....

I agree with you there. This will definitely be a tougher road out of the region than what Lufkin encountered last year in my opinion.

All-American

And I think if SLC wins it again, a lot of people will go into depression. If Carroll wins state in an extremely tough bracket on a "rebuilding" year, it's hard to see hope for any other team...ever.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man
    ...I will never say anything bad about Lufkin again. Whew...what a bracket.

Last time Lufkin exited early was to a Wing T team. Klein and A&M both Wing-T in the first two rounds. Then Westfield's defense...then SLC or ET.

Get thru that and they have my total respect.

I think they are up to the challenge this year more than the previous 2 or 3.

I have never seen a group of kids so focused in my entire life. They seem to be on a mission. Even the seniors who are being recruited are telling suiters they will talk after the season is over. They want no distractions.
    Montgomery Bears
    District 17-4A

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Klein gave us a few problems in '04. They had a huge line and decent backs, and we had a grind it out O with Jorvorskie. Therefore, we didnt' see the ball alot. I think it was 7-0 at half, and we won by about 31-14, something like that. Last year, it was a bit more lopsided. Lufkin has fared well against the run option the past two years, but it's never simple to defend. Conroe had some good runs against our first team D, who was playing fairly un-emotional football Friday for obvious reasons. But, no one has run the ball up and down the field against us this year.

Our offense, however, is totally different than in '04. 3 minutes is a grind it out drive for us, oftentimes we score in under 2 minutes, so TOP is never an issue - it just does not matter. I think we'll beat Klein Saturday. A&M Consol - if we play them - will be our toughest test of the year - easily.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack
    Klein gave us a few problems in '04. They had a huge line and decent backs, and we had a grind it out O with Jorvorskie. Therefore, we didnt' see the ball alot. I think it was 7-0 at half, and we won by about 31-14, something like that. Last year, it was a bit more lopsided. Lufkin has fared well against the run option the past two years, but it's never simple to defend. Conroe had some good runs against our first team D, who was playing fairly un-emotional football Friday for obvious reasons. But, no one has run the ball up and down the field against us this year.

Our offense, however, is totally different than in '04. 3 minutes is a grind it out drive for us, oftentimes we score in under 2 minutes, so TOP is never an issue - it just does not matter. I think we'll beat Klein Saturday. A&M Consol - if we play them - will be our toughest test of the year - easily.

Your way off on the 04 score favpack, Lp shut them out at Abe in 04! Lufkin has outscored Klein 78-10 in the 2 times they met in 04 and 05. LP won 36-0 in 04 and 42-10 vs Klein in 05. Gman, Lufkin has faced many many wing-t teams since that Garland upset in 03 including Klein. With that being said, this is the playoffs and anything can happen. If they can stay focused and stay healthy they should be fine.

Hey kt, didn't you say that div2 region 2 was the toughest the last 2 years. So this makes 3 years in a row that they have been in the toughest region according to this site. The problem hasn't been the region though.
    Last edited by pack0808; 11-13-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pack0808
    Your way off on the 04 score favpack, Lp shut them out at Abe in 04! Lufkin has outscored Klein 78-10 in the 2 times they met in 04 and 05. LP won 36-0 in 04 and 42-10 vs Klein in 05. Gman, Lufkin has faced many many wing-t teams since that Garland upset in 03 including Klein. With that being said, this is the playoffs and anything can happen. If they can stay focused and stay healthy they should be fine.

Hey kt, didn't you say that div2 region 2 was the toughest the last years. So this makes 3 years in a row that they have been in the toughest region according to this site. The problem hasn't been the region though.
    Yeah - you are right - 36-0 in '04. I recall that '04 game with Klein being an off night for Smallwood - he kept turning it over. I would have thought they scored a couple of times there, and we were sluggish in the first half - but I do remember pulling away. Last year was a blow-out from the whistle.

We will have 9 Panthers in the box Saturday -- ready to rock and roll.

We can put this subject to rest. Pack08 is right. The Division I bracket is no tougher for Lufkin in 2006 than the same Div. II brackets were in 2001, 2002, 2004 or 2005. Lufkin made it to the semi-finals in all of those years and winning the State Championship in 2001.

The last time the Div. I bracket was better than Div.II was in 2003.

There have been the Lufkin doubters every year, but all they have done is go to the DII semi's 4 out of the last 5 years.

As far as the wing-T offense, I would like to know where that has ever been a problem for Lufkin. Personally, I think those teams will have lots of trouble beating Lufkin.
    http://lufkinpanthersports.com

www.lufkinpanthersports.com

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PackAttack2005
    We can put this subject to rest. Pack08 is right. The Division I bracket is no tougher for Lufkin in 2006 than the same Div. II brackets were in 2001, 2002, 2004 or 2005. Lufkin made it to the semi-finals in all of those years and winning the State Championship in 2001.

There have been the Lufkin doubters every year, but all they have done is go to the DII semi's 4 out of the last 5 years.

As far as the wing-T offense, I would like to know where that has ever been a problem for Lufkin. Personally, I think those teams will have lots of trouble beating Lufkin.

Yeah even in the Garland upset in 03 it was not the LP D that was the problem. The Lufkin D shut them down for the vast majority of that game. They were on the field a long long time before giving up some drives in the 4th. It was the lack of and predictability of the offense and inconsistency at the qb position that was the problem in that game. Garland knew LP had qb issues and they knew Lane was going to get the ball 9 times out of 10.

Oh well that is 03 and this is 06. Lot has changed since then and that loss means absolutely nothing come saturday. These 2 teams are not strangers after playing in each other in district in 04 and 05.

Quote Originally Posted by PackAttack2005

I agree completely besides one year! I think the brackets were very even in 02.

The "one thing" that I like about 4 teams in the playoffs is that it gives many more teams the option of going to either one of the brackets. That is only thing I like about it.

All-State

IF LUFKIN wins this they might as well be the number one team in the nation.. by the way what is their national ranking??

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy
    IF LUFKIN wins this they might as well be the number one team in the nation.. by the way what is their national ranking??
    why would lp be selected out? i would think any team that wins out should be #1 in texas for sure. as far as nat'l polls, who cares?
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy
    why would lp be selected out? i would think any team that wins out should be #1 in texas for sure. as far as nat'l polls, who cares?

I concur!

If Lufkin, SLC, NS, ET, or WF wins - they should be No. 1 in the nation. If a 1 or two loss team wins the ring - it probably won't happen - even though it should. And, if Katy or CH wins D2, they should be top 3 in the nation -easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack
    If Lufkin, SLC, NS, ET, or WF wins - they should be No. 1 in the nation. If a 1 or two loss team wins the ring - it probably won't happen - even though it should. And, if Katy or CH wins D2, they should be top 3 in the nation -easily.
    I agree, it's just that only SLC and Lufkin have a chance at being #1. Trinity is ranked too low. However, the Texas championship is the national championship!!

Trinity Trojans

All-State

it sure would look good to finally have the texas team at the top instead of almost there

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy

I'm just glad most of the top teams are in the same bracket.

[QUOTE=TrinityTrojan80]I agree, it's just that only SLC and Lufkin have a chance at being #1. Trinity is ranked too low. However, the Texas championship is the national championship!!

That's what I'm talking about!