Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: District 5-5A updated

Default District 5-5A updated

Here are the newest scenarios for 5-5A and which division SLC goes:

Playoff position 1 (district champ): SLC, pretty much a given at this point

PO 2: possibly Heritage, which in their best case scenario wins out and goes 6-1 in district, with their only loss to Carroll. BUT this would mean they have to beat Northwest AND Grapevine...iffy.

PO 3: possibly Grapevine thanks to their win over Northwest; even if they lose to Heritage they end up 4-3 and by head-to-head against NW take that spot.

PO 4: possibly Northwest, although after the performance they displayed last night, they could even end up as 2nd in the district. To be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, they just need to beat Haltom, regardless of how they fair against Heritage. BUT if they beat Heritage AND Haltom, they end up 5-2 in district, and tie for 2nd place in the district with the winner of the Heritage/Grapevine game. (Note that even if Northwest beats Heritage...if they go on to LOSE to Haltom, they still don't go to the playoffs).

PO4b: Because of their loss to Richland, Haltom would have to beat Northwest to take the last playoff spot.

IMHO, if Northwest plays like they did last night, this is how I predict the outcome of 5-5A:
    1. SLC (7-0)
    2. Northwest (5-2) - losses to SLC and Grapevine
    3. Heritage (5-2) - losses to SLC and Northwest
    4. Grapevine (4-3) - losses to SLC, Northwest, and Heritage

Again it comes down to whether Northwest (Carroll goes D1) or Haltom (Carroll goes D2) wins that game.
    Last edited by Phoenixrising05; 10-22-2006 at 03:32 AM.

Default Re: District 5-5A updated

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixrising05
    Here are the newest scenarios for 5-5A and which division SLC goes:

Playoff position 1 (district champ): SLC, pretty much a given at this point

PO 2: possibly Heritage, which in their best case scenario wins out and goes 6-1 in district, with their only loss to Carroll. BUT this would mean they have to beat Northwest AND Grapevine...iffy.

PO 3: possibly Grapevine thanks to their win over Northwest; even if they lose to Heritage they end up 4-3 and by head-to-head against NW take that spot.

PO 4: possibly Northwest, although after the performance they displayed last night, they could even end up as 2nd in the district. To be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, they just need to beat Haltom, regardless of how they fair against Heritage. BUT if they beat Heritage AND Haltom, they end up 5-2 in district, and tie for 2nd place in the district with the winner of the Heritage/Grapevine game. (Note that even if Northwest beats Heritage...if they go on to LOSE to Haltom, they still don't go to the playoffs).

PO4b: Because of their loss to Richland, Haltom would have to beat Northwest to take the last playoff spot.

IMHO, if Northwest plays like they did last night, this is how I predict the outcome of 5-5A:
    1. SLC (7-0)
    2. Northwest (5-2) - losses to SLC and Grapevine
    3. Heritage (5-2) - losses to SLC and Northwest
    4. Grapevine (4-3) - losses to SLC, Northwest, and Heritage

Again it comes down to whether Northwest (Carroll goes D1) or Haltom (Carroll goes D2) wins that game.

Go Texans!!
    Trinity Trojans

Northwest will destroy Haltom. Hello D1.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer; 2011 Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    Northwest will destroy Haltom. Hello D1.
    Yes - based on what Carroll saw of these two teams. Should win by at least 3 TDs. However, there have been too many surprises in this district the past couple of year to take that prediction to the bank. What's the certainty that they play Haltom more like they did GV than SLC? Our one NW poster mentioned a couple of times that they have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot.

Also, last year at this time, an ET/SLC matchup was touted by many here as all but certain. But DR went into the tank and the rest is D2 history.

All-District

The only team out of this district who will advance to the 2nd round will be Carroll. Each other team will be bounced from the first round.
    November 24, 2006: The day StarmanDX was proved wrong. Where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDX
    The only team out of this district who will advance to the 2nd round will be Carroll. Each other team will be bounced from the first round.
    I wouldn't be so certain of that. Would you care to elaborate?

All-District

Going by the current bracket projections,

SLC would destroy Marcus(by 50 or so points)
    Coppell wouldn't have a hard time taking care of Colleyville(14-21 point victory minimum)
    Hebron would kill Grapevine(if Coppell beats Grapevine by 59 I'm sure Hebron could beat them soundly too)
    Flower Mound and Northwest would be the only tossup
    November 24, 2006: The day StarmanDX was proved wrong. Where were you?

Going by the current bracket projections,

SLC would destroy Marcus(by 50 or so points)
    Coppell wouldn't have a hard time taking care of Colleyville(14-21 point victory minimum)
    Hebron would kill Grapevine(if Coppell beats Grapevine by 59 I'm sure Hebron could beat them soundly too)
    Flower Mound and Northwest would be the only tossup
    Don't have any major qualms with your predictions since you're calling a FM/NW game a tossup.

However, I'm never going to pick SLC by 50 against a PO team -even if they are 4th in district. Also the PO team could be Lewisville after their win against Marcus.

I would also give the nod to Hebron but I wouldn't say they would kill GV. The 56-0 beating by Coppell was just as much a "fluke" game as their 5 pt. loss to SLC last year. Hebron still has issues too.

All-American

In my mind there are three major games left to decide everyone's fate (maybe 4 depending on the first 3)

CHHS vs. NW -- actually a bigger game for CHHS, if they win they lock up a playoff spot, and probably 2nd in the district. NW can win this game and still not get in (see below)

GVine vs Richland -- as crazy as it sounds, due to Richland's win over Haltom, they are still alive. If GVine losses this game, with SLC the next week, they will be fighting for their playoff lives against Colleyville the last week.

Haltom vs NW - HUGE game for NW. A loss here does them in unless Colleyville falls apart. I posted this on another thread, but a Haltom fan told me they have two different teams, the one that beat GVine and played us well, and the one that got beat by Richland and showed poorly against SLC (although we agreed it didn't matter which team showed up against them). After watching them I believe it, becuase I couldn't fathom how they lost to Richland. If Haltom plays like they did Friday night, they are capable of beating anyone (see GVine).

CHHS vs. Grapevine - could be a big game for GVine or even Heritage if they fall apart. My guess is this game will be of no playoff value, but time will tell.

So for all you SLC watchers, these are the games to look at...the only thing at this point to make SLC go D2 is Haltom.

My predictions
    1. SLC
    2. Colleyville
    3. NW
    4. Grapevine
    Last edited by Pantherguy; 10-22-2006 at 04:16 PM.

All-American

Starman, your precious 7-5A, with local powers Nimtz, Irving, Grand Prairie, etc, will have no one alive after the 2nd round, and should get only two out of the first. Never can understand why you think 5-5A is the worst district in the world. Its not that great, but its on par with 7-5A, which is horrble too.

Starter

Here is what I have to say about a couple issues. First of all Grapevine should have beat Haltom by 20+ if you where at the game you would have seen that. Grapevines rb had 4 carries for 100 yards and 2 td's in the first quarter alone! and the 2nd quarter was almost the same story. However, Grapevine stopped running the ball as much, which is a question for everyone, i dont know why they did??? but also in the 2nd half and also muffed a punt return and a couple other penalties killed them.
    2nd point
    Grapevins 56-0 loss to Haltom was a complete fluke. Grapevine had 10 starters out, including there qb, so they used a qb that played jv. last year. They werent focused and had a bad week of practice and if you follow football or any sport at all you know how that can be. Not saying that Coppel isnt a good team i just dont believe that they are 56 points better than Grapevine, I feel that if somehow they met in the playoffs it would be a shootout and a toss up who wins.
    3rd point
    The Grapevine vs. Carrol game could be closer than people think. Grapevine always is hyped to play them and with Grapevines nearly unstoppable running game, and Carrols great run defense we will see who wants the game more. If Grapevine can avoid the big play and make Carrol put together long drives, they will control the momentum and the clock. So we will just have to see. But first is Richland so Grapevine will get focused for that game and take it week by week

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by stangsalltheway
    Here is what I have to say about a couple issues. First of all Grapevine should have beat Haltom by 20+ if you where at the game you would have seen that. Grapevines rb had 4 carries for 100 yards and 2 td's in the first quarter alone! and the 2nd quarter was almost the same story. However, Grapevine stopped running the ball as much, which is a question for everyone, i dont know why they did??? but also in the 2nd half and also muffed a punt return and a couple other penalties killed them.
    2nd point
    Grapevins 56-0 loss to Haltom was a complete fluke. Grapevine had 10 starters out, including there qb, so they used a qb that played jv. last year. They werent focused and had a bad week of practice and if you follow football or any sport at all you know how that can be. Not saying that Coppel isnt a good team i just dont believe that they are 56 points better than Grapevine, I feel that if somehow they met in the playoffs it would be a shootout and a toss up who wins.
    3rd point
    The Grapevine vs. Carrol game could be closer than people think. Grapevine always is hyped to play them and with Grapevines nearly unstoppable running game, and Carrols great run defense we will see who wants the game more. If Grapevine can avoid the big play and make Carrol put together long drives, they will control the momentum and the clock. So we will just have to see. But first is Richland so Grapevine will get focused for that game and take it week by week
    There is zero chance you beat Carroll...ZERO...I said this in an earlier post, but you better beat Richland, or else that Haltom game you lost "that you should have won by 20" will keep you out of the playoffs...(not really sure how you lose by double digits, but should have won by 20?)

All-District

Hey stangs, dont worry pantherguy's just pissed that CV gets hyped up every year when they play Carroll and get killed every year. Atleast we got close, even if it was a "fluke".
    Grapevine Mustangs..where Tradition started

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherguy
    There is zero chance you beat Carroll...ZERO...I said this in an earlier post, but you better beat Richland, or else that Haltom game you lost "that you should have won by 20" will keep you out of the playoffs...(not really sure how you lose by double digits, but should have won by 20?)
    he's using mustang math, which as a stang fan, is his perogative. as long as he doesn't use it on the taks test, he'll be ok.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy
    he's using mustang math, which as a stang fan, is his perogative. as long as he doesn't use it on the taks test, he'll be ok.
    did you really just make a comment about the 'taks test'????? wow good one there but lets get back too football. All i have to say is how about yall go to the games or maybe listen to people that are actually at the games instead of just looking at the box scores.

did you really just make a comment about the 'taks test'????? wow good one there but lets get back too football. All i have to say is how about yall go to the games or maybe listen to people that are actually at the games instead of just looking at the box scores.

i can't see myself at more than one gvine game per year. and i'm not sure listening to the "unbiased" reports of some is any better than the box scores.
    Last edited by dragonsdaddy; 10-22-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Starter

i can't see myself at more than one gvine game per year. and i'm not sure listening to the "unbiased" reports of some is any better than the box scores.
    alright well i guess when grapevine plays carrol on the nov. 4th you will really get to see the grapevine running game and the defense that i keep talkin about in these post

alright well i guess when grapevine plays carrol on the nov. 4th you will really get to see the grapevine running game and the defense that i keep talkin about in these post
    since i'll be deer hunting on the 4th, i may sojourn over to the pms and catch the richland game. should be a good one.
    let's get'r done-cs rip

Starter

since i'll be deer hunting on the 4th, i may sojourn over to the pms and catch the richland game. should be a good one.
    well ya it could be a good one but richland barely beat keller w/ the last minutes to play and grapevine had no problem but still shouldnt overlook them as a team. but ya i have respect for carrol as a football team i just think that grapevine if they play there best has a chance, thats all im sayin

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

Kind of like 7-5A....
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."