Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Leander 27 Stony point 24

  1. #1
    All-State Leander 6136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leander
    Posts
    370

    Default Leander 27 Stony point 24

    An exciting game that Leander won on a Derek Mimbela FG with 12 seconds to play. Stony point definately came to play and Leander took them a little lightly. Stony Point took advantage to dominate the first quarter and put 14 on the board. Leander answered with 14 of their own to tie the game at half time. Stony Point had a strong running game behind Cameron Bell and were able to draw the ends up the field on several draws and ran the option effectively putting together impressive drives against a tough Leander defense. Leanders offense wasn't able to sustain drives but thrived on the big play . Leander didn't seem to have an answer for Bell till the defense finally stepped up in the 4th quarter behind strong performances by #44 Ryan Douglas, #91 David Delware, and #54 Will McCann to shut Bell down. After trading score in the second half the game was tied at 24 with just over 4 minutes to go. Stony Point forced a punt and after Leanders punt was forced to punt themselves. Ryan Douglas busted through to block th punt wich was recovered deep in Tiger territory. After burning the clock on running plays Leander called their last time out. Mckinnly dropped back to pass and under pressure rolled right and took off, barely managing to get out of bounds at the 2. After 2 failed passes the 2nd which was nearly picked in the end zone Leander kicked the winning field goal with 12 seconds left. A pooch kick that only burned 1 second gave Stony Point a last chance but after Bell was stopped Stony Point used their last time out. With 4 seconds left they completed abou a 10 yard pass but the reciever was leveled by #2 Ram Rodriguez before he could complete a lateral. This was a great game that showed Leanders heart hanging in after being dominated in the first quarter and struggling to get the runnuing game going agaainst a very tough Stony Point defense. Congrats to the Tigers on a well played game and good luck on the rest of the season.

  2. #2
    All-Universe SeguinMatadors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,907

    Default Re: Leander 27 Stony point 24

    Quote Originally Posted by Leander 6136
    An exciting game that Leander won on a Derek Mimbela FG with 12 seconds to play. Stony point definately came to play and Leander took them a little lightly. Stony Point took advantage to dominate the first quarter and put 14 on the board. Leander answered with 14 of their own to tie the game at half time. Stony Point had a strong running game behind Cameron Bell and were able to draw the ends up the field on several draws and ran the option effectively putting together impressive drives against a tough Leander defense. Leanders offense wasn't able to sustain drives but thrived on the big play . Leander didn't seem to have an answer for Bell till the defense finally stepped up in the 4th quarter behind strong performances by #44 Ryan Douglas, #91 David Delware, and #54 Will McCann to shut Bell down. After trading score in the second half the game was tied at 24 with just over 4 minutes to go. Stony Point forced a punt and after Leanders punt was forced to punt themselves. Ryan Douglas busted through to block th punt wich was recovered deep in Tiger territory. After burning the clock on running plays Leander called their last time out. Mckinnly dropped back to pass and under pressure rolled right and took off, barely managing to get out of bounds at the 2. After 2 failed passes the 2nd which was nearly picked in the end zone Leander kicked the winning field goal with 12 seconds left. A pooch kick that only burned 1 second gave Stony Point a last chance but after Bell was stopped Stony Point used their last time out. With 4 seconds left they completed abou a 10 yard pass but the reciever was leveled by #2 Ram Rodriguez before he could complete a lateral. This was a great game that showed Leanders heart hanging in after being dominated in the first quarter and struggling to get the runnuing game going agaainst a very tough Stony Point defense. Congrats to the Tigers on a well played game and good luck on the rest of the season.
    Wow, sounds like it was a hell of a game.
    Deep down in his private heart, no man respects himself much.

  3. #3
    All-State Leander 6136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leander
    Posts
    370

    Default Re: Leander 27 Stony point 24

    Quote Originally Posted by SeguinMatadors
    Wow, sounds like it was a hell of a game.

    It was a nail biter to say the least

  4. #4
    All-Universe tayb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    8,255

    Default Re: Leander 27 Stony point 24

    I can't figure out stony point. They either a.) caught both CP and leander off guard and played the games of their lives or b.) are a much better football team than their record implies.

    After checking out district I find out that they have a SOS rank of 3 (I assume that is statewide). That is a pretty damn tough schedule.
    Last edited by tayb; 10-21-2006 at 08:45 AM.

  5. #5
    All-State Leander 6136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leander
    Posts
    370

    Default Re: Leander 27 Stony point 24

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Robertson
    I can't figure out stony point. They either a.) caught both CP and leander off guard and played the games of their lives or b.) are a much better football team than their record implies.

    After checking out district I find out that they have a SOS rank of 3 (I assume that is statewide). That is a pretty damn tough schedule.

    They did slightly catch Leander off guard in the first quarter but that doesn't explain the rest of the game. Stony point has a very good defensive front, and their secondary isn't bad either. They run the ball well and can throw when they need too. These guys did beat Austin High who beat Westlake so they're not a horrible football team. I guess thats just the nature of 14-5a this year, you can't take any district team lightly or it might come back to bite you.
    Last edited by Leander 6136; 10-21-2006 at 05:33 PM.

  6. #6
    All-State CPwolves08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Leander 27 Stony point 24

    i personally think that people underestimate Stoney Point,
    so they let their guard down.
    But congrats to Leander!
    Yes, I'm a girl. And yes, I'm obsessed with high school football,
    but don't you doubt my football knowledge because I'm a girl =]
    I know just as much as you do.


    TIMBERWOLF FOOTBALL

  7. #7
    All-State LionVarsityCheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Leander 27 Stony point 24

    that's usually the case for all teams. It kinda reminds me of hollywood movies, one team is the underdog, but miraculously wins...it's because the better team was too cocky...i was discussing this topic with my biology teacher and he said he just reemed the football players in his classes when we lost to cedar park last year, because we were supposed to be the better team, but we went in too cocky.
    MAROON, WHITE
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    MISSISSIPPI STATE
    WHOO! DAMN RIGHT!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •