Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we biased toward 26-5A or are they that good?

Default Are we biased toward 26-5A or are they that good?

I've seen a couple different posts suggesting that we are somehow biased toward 26-5A and that they are not worthy of the praise they receive over Districts 25 and 28. While both fairly good districts, they do not come close to 26-5A in terms of overall quality.

Consider the following:

First, we'll look at 25-5A's performance against 5A non-district opponents...
    In summary, 25-5A was 2-6 against non-district 5A opponents with a combined 24-26 record including 0-6 against 14-5A. In fact, 25-5A didn't beat a single team with a .500 or better winning percentage in non-district play.

Only Bowie and Anderson have a SOS (strength of schedule) ranked in the top half of all 5A teams.

25-5A vs. 14-5A, Record: (0-5), Opponents' Record: (17-13)
    L to Westwood (5-1)
    L to Stony Point (2-4)
    L to Round Rock (4-2)
    L to McNeil (4-2)
    L to Pflugerville (2-4)

25-5A vs. 3-5A, Record: (1-0), Opponents' Record: (2-4)
    W vs Abilene (2-4)

25-5A vs. 13-5A, Record: (1-0), Opponents' Record: (0-7)
    W vs Belton (0-7)

25-5A vs. 26-5A, Record: (0-1), Opponents' Record: (5-2)
    L to Madison (5-2)

Compare that to 26-5A's non-district performance...
    In summary, 26-5A posted a 12-2 5A non-district record against opponents with a combined 45-46 record, including 6-1 overall against 28-5A.

26-5A defeated 7 teams with .500 or better winning percentage, while 25-5A defeated none

7 of the 9 teams in 26-5A have an SOS ranked in the Top 32 of all 5A teams!

26-5A vs 14-5A, Record: (1-1), Opponents' Record (7-5)
    L to Leander (4-2)
    W vs Georgetown (3-3)

26-5A vs 15-5A, Record: (1-0), Opponents' Record (3-3)
    W vs The Woodlands (3-3)

26-5A vs 16-5A, Record: (1-0), Opponents' Record (1-5)

W vs Spring (1-5)

26-5A vs 25-5A, Record: (1-0), Opponents' Record (5-1)
    W vs Seguin (5-1)

26-5A vs 27-5A, Record: (2-0), Opponents' Record (
    2-12)
    W vs Highlands (1-6)
    W vs Victoria Mem. (1-6)

26-5A vs 28-5A, Record: (6-1), Opponents' Record (27-20)
    W vs Clark (3-3)
    W vs Marshall (5-2)
    W vs Holmes (1-5)
    W vs Marshall (5-2)
    W vs Taft (3-4)
    W vs O'Connor (5-2)
    L vs O'Connor (5-2)

Looking at what each district has done, it would be impossible to argue that 25-5A or 28-5A is even comparable to 26-5A in terms of overall quality. That district is praised because they have earned it with their performance on the field. Despite what some would like to believe, we don't favor certain districts or teams just because we have some vendetta against your district or team. We actually do pay attention to results, and, in this case, the results do not support the conspiracy theorists.

All-American

Default Re: Are we biased toward 26-5A or are they that good?

It's amazing how that district improved when Smithson Valley joined it. Previousely the teams there would compete to get second behind Judson, but since the Rangers joined, the whole district has really raised it's level of play.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Lady Bird Johnson and Canyon Lake HS's open up in the next couple of years. That will likely cause SV to drop to 4A again, and split the talent from Reagan.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

You guys are doing fine with what you say abut Region 4. This year's facts are before us and the history of the past champions the cause of the 26-5. There are plenty of morons who post on this forum and you have to ignore what they say. They don't want you guys to tell the truth. They want you to say what they want to hear.

Just look who has won Region titles the last 4 years:

2005 Judson and SV
    2004 Judson and SV
    2003 Westlake and Clemens
    2002 Judson and SV

6 of the 8 Region titles were won by 26-5A, with Westlake and the first SV title being the exceptions.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by badger95
    It's amazing how that district improved when Smithson Valley joined it. Previousely the teams there would compete to get second behind Judson, but since the Rangers joined, the whole district has really raised it's level of play.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Lady Bird Johnson and Canyon Lake HS's open up in the next couple of years. That will likely cause SV to drop to 4A again, and split the talent from Reagan.
    I dont think it will have a lot of affect for talent. almost all of the starters for SV right now play in the zone that would still be attending SV. Only one kid is form the new school zone that would attend the new school and he moved up because of an injury. He is doing a fine job by the way

Quote Originally Posted by coolestkidever
    I dont think it will have a lot of affect for talent. almost all of the starters for SV right now play in the zone that would still be attending SV. Only one kid is form the new school zone that would attend the new school and he moved up because of an injury. He is doing a fine job by the way
    Most of our talent comes from the Spring Branch, Bulverde area... we do have some that come from Canyon Lake but a handful sometimes.... I really dont think it will affect us much either...
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

R A N G E R S

Those facts speak for themselves.
    "Do your best, don't sweat the rest"
    Tradition of Excellence
    State Champions: 83, 88, 92, 93, 95, 02
    Semifinal Champions: 83,88,90,92,93,95,96,98,02,05,07
    Regional Champions: 82,83,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,98,02,04,05,07

37consecutive winning seasons: 1977-Present

I have contiuouly in the past acknowledged that 265A has more good to average teams and less bad teams than any of the other districts. But that doesn't mean that the teams that are going to make the playoffs are going to be overwhelmingly better. Fact is, only the top 4 teams from each district are going to make it.

As far as the strength of schedule goes, that is sort of an endeless circle.
    Deep down in his private heart, no man respects himself much.

All-Galaxy

Made that pretty clear. Good job.

All-State

14-5A is 6 - 0 . Round Rock beat Bowie and Bastrop.
    A good friend will come and bail you out when you are in jail. A true friend would be right beside you in jail and saying " Dam# that was fun".

25 played 26 5a in one game... and that is really the only stat that matters. 25 5a was 0-1... and it was the first game of the year. Hardly enough there to make any huge assumptions. As far as what teams not named Seguin, Westlake, Austin High, and San Marcos perhaps did in their non district... I could care less. Akins and Anderson are going to lose to anyone and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SeguinMatadors
    25 played 26 5a in one game... and that is really the only stat that matters. 25 5a was 0-1... and it was the first game of the year. Hardly enough there to make any huge assumptions. As far as what teams not named Seguin, Westlake, Austin High, and San Marcos perhaps did in their non district... I could care less. Akins and Anderson are going to lose to anyone and everyone.
    Before someone adds something along the lines of "Well you should have proved your worth by playing more 5a teams or more 26 5a teams" I will add, we did schedule two of our 3 non district games against 5a teams and 26 5a teams, too. New Braunfels is our rival so we have to play one 4a team. In addition to having Madison on our schedule we also had Macarthur on our schedule but when Lee screwed up the scheduling by going from 4a back to 5a. We lost the Mac game and we had to had to add anyone we could at the last moment which ended up being 4a Beaumont Ozen.

Austin lost to Stony Point... thats pretty bad... Stony Point is having one of their best years ever though.... but still pretty bad.. How do you lose to SP and beat Westlake.... I really think Austin isnt that great but I could be wrong... Bowie is terrible... Anderson is terrible... Akins is terrible... Bastrop is decent/terrible... San Marcos same thing different year... Seguin is probably the best team in the district... and they lost to the possible 3rd 4th or 5th place team in 26-5a... Westlake will probably do the most in the playoffs out of all the teams though...
    Last edited by svhorns; 10-16-2006 at 03:25 PM.
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

R A N G E R S

Top to bottom, I don't think you can argue the two districts. (25 and 26) 26 is much deeper.
    But I think (until it is proved wrong in the first round of the playoffs) that the top half of both of those districts are comparible. We will see.

The stats that were put up on the top of this thread were compelling, no doubt, but you can't always go by the beginning of the year to rank teams. Some teams take longer to gel, and others may have some injuries that hurt them. What matters most is who is playing the best during November.

......ask Judson.

lol treu for example..with judson last yr wre made state ad yet we barely got in2 the playoffs and now judson has beat madison and have showed much improvement since the big losses against leander(preseason) and churhill
    Best Poster At The Game- 2010 Winner

RIP Atwelljrock
    RIP TulsaHale74

All-State

Well, this may just be my opinion, but I feel like Marshall and Clark, especially Clark, are kinda like Judson this year. They started off slow, but now are getting better each week. So their losses early in the season to 26-5A teams may have a different outcome if played now.

I think 28-5A is better than 25-5A, do others agree with me?

26-5A gets alot of attention, but top to bottom it is the best district.

Quote Originally Posted by SACokeSooner
    Well, this may just be my opinion, but I feel like Marshall and Clark, especially Clark, are kinda like Judson this year. They started off slow, but now are getting better each week. So their losses early in the season to 26-5A teams may have a different outcome if played now.

I think 28-5A is better than 25-5A, do others agree with me?

26-5A gets alot of attention, but top to bottom it is the best district.
    I think Westlake and Seguin are better than anyone in 28-5a (including Marshall and O'Connor).

I don't know enough about Austin High but they have been impressive lately and they and San Marcos would be a good game against Clark or Jay. IMO.

Holmes, Stevens, and DelRio are pretty much on the same level as Akins and Anderson... non factors.

I agree that your middle teams (Taft and Warren) are better than our middle of the road teams (Bastrop and Bowie).
    Last edited by SeguinMatadors; 10-16-2006 at 05:50 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

You guys are biased...

Why anybody would suggest that you are biased toward anything in R4...I can't imagine...

Last week's top-25 had...

Region 1 - 7 Teams...
    Region 2 - 12 Teams...
    Region 3 - 4 Teams...
    Region 4 - 2 Teams...

Oh yeah, I see conspiracy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_fan
    You guys are biased...

Why anybody would suggest that you are biased toward anything in R4...I can't imagine...

Last week's top-25 had...

Region 1 - 7 Teams...
    Region 2 - 12 Teams...
    Region 3 - 4 Teams...
    Region 4 - 2 Teams...

Oh yeah, I see conspiracy...
    Interestinnnnnggggggg. Region dosssss!

As a 28-5a follower, 26-5a is the most competitive district in the state top to bottom. All of their games are knock, down drag out events. I've stated before they are the standard to measure up to. So I will continue to measure 28-5a to the standard. But, I will say there are times, when all the new posts are about 26-5a schools, that I move on.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Threat
    As a 28-5a follower, 26-5a is the most competitive district in the state top to bottom. All of their games are knock, down drag out events. I've stated before they are the standard to measure up to. So I will continue to measure 28-5a to the standard. But, I will say there are times, when all the new posts are about 26-5a schools, that I move on.

Me too...

I go read a SLC thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.