Thread: Where were you on November 26, 1994?

Default Where were you on November 26, 1994?

I thought I'd start this thread in remembrance of a little football game that occurred almost 12 years ago. Tonight John Tyler and Plano East will meet on the field for the 2nd time ever for a rematch of what was the greatest football game ever played.

In 1994, I was a freshman at Boswell H.S. and that Saturday afternoon, my sister, mom, and I decided to go watch my momís alma mater Plano beat Lufkin at Texas Stadium. Since we were there for Plano, we sat on the Wildcat's side on the 20 or 25 near the locker room tunnels. It was a good game, especially since Plano won, but I honestly donít remember much of it at all. However, the second game is a different story.

Since my dad graduated from Tyler Lee, and my mom from PSHS, we decided to stay and watch the game between their hated rivals; but despite rooting for JT since I had grown up a Wildcat fan and hated PESH more than anything on earth, we stayed where we were. I donít remember a whole lot about the first 43 minutes of the game other than it was fairly even battle. But everything from Broyles 92 yd fumble recovery for a TD with less than 5 mins left in the game until Dunnís runback is as clear as if it happened yesterday.

I know the majority of yaíll know what happened in that game, so I wonít go into the details, but I will say that I will NEVER forget the energy that was in that building at the end of the game. Even though most of the PESH fans had left when the score was 41-17, the ones that remained were making enough noise to make it seem like Planoís side was packed. And with every ensuing onside kick and touchdown, the noise kept getting louder and, though I remained silent because I didnít want to get yelled at by the fans, my anxiety became greater and greater in fear that JT would blow the game.

And then, with 24 seconds remaining in the game, Roderick Dunn took the kickoff at the 3 and didnít stop until he reached the tunnel. There are two memories that Iíll never forget of that 13 seconds, the first being of myself jumping up and down and yelling like a crazy kid with basically the whole section of PESH fans staring at me, and the second being the absolute contrast of noise between the sides of the stadium. I swear I was the ONLY thing making noise on Eastís side by the time he hit the end zone, but from across the field, I can only describe the noise as that of a jet taking off 50 yds from you. Anyway, that moment was when I became a diehard John Tyler fan till the day I die, and two years later I decided to change schools to be a part of Wilsonís team with the hopes that I would get the coveted ring.

Needless to say though, I have never experienced that magnitude of energy and emotion from fans in the hundreds of games Iíve been to since then, and I probably never will. So where were you on that Saturday? I know some 30,000 tickets were sold, yet probably 75,000 swear they were at the game, but if any of you happened to be on PESHís side, stayed to the end, and saw a stupid kid cheering for the wrong team, please forgive me. But don't worry, I'll be on the right side this time.

P.S. That game is the exact reason why NO ONE should leave a game early, and is why I have since stayed until the school songs have been played.
    GO CUJO!
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

Default Re: Where were you on November 26, 1994?

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo
    I thought I'd start this thread in remembrance of a little football game that occurred almost 12 years ago. Tonight John Tyler and Plano East will meet on the field for the 2nd time ever for a rematch of what was the greatest football game ever played.

In 1994, I was a freshman at Boswell H.S. and that Saturday afternoon, my sister, mom, and I decided to go watch my momís alma mater Plano beat Lufkin at Texas Stadium. Since we were there for Plano, we sat on the Wildcat's side on the 20 or 25 near the locker room tunnels. It was a good game, especially since Plano won, but I honestly donít remember much of it at all. However, the second game is a different story.

Since my dad graduated from Tyler Lee, and my mom from PSHS, we decided to stay and watch the game between their hated rivals; but despite rooting for JT since I had grown up a Wildcat fan and hated PESH more than anything on earth, we stayed where we were. I donít remember a whole lot about the first 43 minutes of the game other than it was fairly even battle. But everything from Broyles 92 yd fumble recovery for a TD with less than 5 mins left in the game until Dunnís runback is as clear as if it happened yesterday.

I know the majority of yaíll know what happened in that game, so I wonít go into the details, but I will say that I will NEVER forget the energy that was in that building at the end of the game. Even though most of the PESH fans had left when the score was 41-17, the ones that remained were making enough noise to make it seem like Planoís side was packed. And with every ensuing onside kick and touchdown, the noise kept getting louder and, though I remained silent because I didnít want to get yelled at by the fans, my anxiety became greater and greater in fear that JT would blow the game.

And then, with 24 seconds remaining in the game, Roderick Dunn took the kickoff at the 3 and didnít stop until he reached the tunnel. There are two memories that Iíll never forget of that 13 seconds, the first being of myself jumping up and down and yelling like a crazy kid with basically the whole section of PESH fans staring at me, and the second being the absolute contrast of noise between the sides of the stadium. I swear I was the ONLY thing making noise on Eastís side by the time he hit the end zone, but from across the field, I can only describe the noise as that of a jet taking off 50 yds from you. Anyway, that moment was when I became a diehard John Tyler fan till the day I die, and two years later I decided to change schools to be a part of Wilsonís team with the hopes that I would get the coveted ring.

Needless to say though, I have never experienced that magnitude of energy and emotion from fans in the hundreds of games Iíve been to since then, and I probably never will. So where were you on that Saturday? I know some 30,000 tickets were sold, yet probably 75,000 swear they were at the game, but if any of you happened to be on PESHís side, stayed to the end, and saw a stupid kid cheering for the wrong team, please forgive me. But don't worry, I'll be on the right side this time.

P.S. That game is the exact reason why NO ONE should leave a game early, and is why I have since stayed until the school songs have been played.
    I was in Hammonton, New Jersey enjoying the Thanksgiving festivities. I had watched Jason Garrett lead the Cowboys to a win on Thanksgiving Day. I had just moved to Delaware earlier that month and was at my friend's house.

Quote Originally Posted by lonny23
    I was in Hammonton, New Jersey enjoying the Thanksgiving festivities. I had watched Jason Garrett lead the Cowboys to a win on Thanksgiving Day. I had just moved to Delaware earlier that month and was at my friend's house.
    No clue where I was but if it was on thanksgiving then I was definetly watching the cowboys game...
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

R A N G E R S

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by svhorns
    No clue where I was but if it was on thanksgiving then I was definetly watching the cowboys game...
    That was the Saturday after Thanksgiving because it was the last game of a Tripleheader.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Mr. Buddy Garrity's Avatar
    Floating on a mat in the West Texas breeze in Abilene via Port Arthur Tx

I was sitting down by my mom. i was watching the highlights of it and when he took that kick back i told my mom "how in the hell did this happen"? and she never punished me for cussin after that, no one in the house had a str8 face after watching that...wow

All-World

I was 4 years old.

That reminds me all too well of the greatest football game I'VE ever seen: 2004 SLC vs. SV in the title game in Dallas. My cousin used to play for SV and when he graduated in 2001 (following a disappointing SV loss in overtime to Denton Ryan) our family continued to support the Rangers throughout the season.

I remember my entire family drove up to Dallas that morning for the game and the atmosphere in the stadium was electric. A remarkable number of SV fans made the trip that morning, and I remember the entire stadium slipped into brief bedlam when SV took a 24-17 lead over SLC off a blocked punt return, and when, moments later, SLC drilled an 80something yard pass into the endzone to make it 24-24.

Amazing game. Unfortunately, I'm a Brahma now and SV's state title woes don't concern me anymore.

Now, about the 2005 M&M Bowl between SA Mac and SA Madison...
    MACARTHUR FC

BOYS VARSITY
    16-5-3, 9-4-3
    Last Match:
    Class 5A Region Quarterfinals
    (7) Mac 0-3 (4) Churchill
    Next Match:

GIRLS VARSITY
    24-1-1, 15-0-1
    Last match:
    Class 5A Region IV Championship
    (1) Mac 1-0 (2) Reagan
    Next match:
    Class 5A State Tournament Semifinals
    MacArthur vs. Southlake Carroll

Make sure you have 20 minutes to watch this...
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...9893&catId=598
    Two Rules to Live By:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff
    2. Convince yourself everything is small stuff.

I wanted to bump this back to the top to make sure everyone who has not seen it, gets a chance to see the video on the 1994 John Tyler/PESH playoff game. The link is in the post immediately preceeding this one. It takes 20 minutes to watch the whole thing, but it should bring back memories to most of you.
    Two Rules to Live By:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff
    2. Convince yourself everything is small stuff.

All-American

That has to be one of the most depressing things I've seen.

Banned

My late father and I were at Tx Stadium for the Lewisville/Permian game that started off that triple header. We along with a lot of other fans from LHS thought the Farmers were going to get their rematch with Plano the following week. What we got was a *** whipping like nothing ever experienced in the playoffs. Permian defeated us 37-0. We stayed for the Plano/Lufkin game and Plano controlled the game from start to finsih. After JT took their commanding lead in the second half my daddy and I left to go home. He woke me up the next morning informing me of what I had missed. I wish I could have seen that but I cant change anything and like I wish to tell people who think that was the greatest game ever, why did so many people leave so early if it was so great?

All-American

i was sitting on th 35 yard line watching it live.

All-World

I was sitting on around the 40 yard line on the JT side about 20 rows up. The end of that game was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in high school football.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

I was sitting on the back row, lower level, of Texas Stadium on the west side, which was the Plano East side. That was the first year that I had expereienced that Carroll bowed out of the playoffs early, so a bunch of us were free to go watch everybody else play. I can't say it was the greatest game I have ever seen, but as I really didn't care who won, I have to say it was one of the most fun to watch that I ever experienced.

All-World

I wasn't there and have only seen the highlight clip posted earlier in the thread.

My take...

The biggest meltdown and save I have ever seen.
    Montgomery Bears
    District 17-4A