PDA

View Full Version : The NFL in San Antonio?

jtk1519
04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Could very well happen. After he sells the Vikings, Red McCombs (a San Antonio native) may buy the New Orleans Saints and move them to San Antonio.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/04/12/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

pack4life
04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
I remember this topic coming up a few years ago, just in the news and all. Red McCombs back then was even talking of taking the Viks to SA... but if he is selling them, and buying the saints, i say bring em to San Antonio!!

lonny23
04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
I still think there is more money in Austin for a team, but neither city has the right stadium. Red MCCombs and Tom Benson both sell cars in SA, but I doubt either of them will ever have an NFL team here.

Red Raiders
04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
That would be cool having another football team in Texas total of 3 like basketball.

jtk1519
04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
The two arguments I hear made the most against San Antonio having an NFL team is population and money. However, the numbers show that San Antonio stacks up very well against the small market teams in the NFL.

San Antonio
Metro pop: 1.6 million
Avg. household income: $36,214

New Orleans
Metro pop: 1.3 million
Avg. household income: $27,133

Indianapolis
Metro pop: 1.6 million
Avg, household income: $40,154

Kansas City
Metro pop: 1.1 million
Avg. household income: $37, 198

Jacksonville
Metro pop: 1.1 million
Avg. household income: $40,316

Charlotte
Metro pop: 1.3 million
Avg household income: $46975

San Antonio also has lower crime rates and unemployment rates than most, if not all of those cities adding to San Antonio's appeal.

It has been shown that the Alamodome could be renovated and turned into a very good NFL venue without near the money it would take to fund a brand new stadium.

It is more than doable. Somebody just needs to do it.

cougardude
04-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Not that I really care for pro football that much, but I don't think I'd be too happy if I were a New Orleans Saints fan and the team gets sold and moves away. It just goes to show you that all the pro sports care about anymore is making money! And when they do stuff like this and pay the outrageous salaries, we the fans are the ones who get the brunt of it with ridiculous ticket prices. In an earlier thread someone mentioned Dallas getting a Super Bowl in 2011 or 2012. Even if I was a huge pro fan I don't have $500 or more to fork over for a ticket. It's getting harder and harder for true sports fans to be able to see the sports they love in person. :confused:

wide-e-wide
04-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Or on TV for that matter. You can spend 149$ for the MLB
extra innings package, and still not got to see the Astros.
I am in Waco and it is easier for me to watch a Seattle Mariners
game than it is to watch an Astros game. They are always blacked-out.

As far as an NFL team coming to San Antonio....
I'm not sure the fan base is there. Your talking about a
city that is filled with life long Cowboys fans. And let's keep
in mind ...it's the Saints they are talking about....not exactly the
Patriots...it would be tough to get those fans to betray the Cowboys.

CoppellCowboy57
04-20-2005, 03:05 PM
That would be cool, i have to say...:)

wide-e-wide
04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Maybe people would stop saying "Go Spurs Go" every 10 seconds...
Man, that is annoying and corny.

SummitGrad04
04-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah, that is annoying....especially for a Mavs fan.
I just don't think of San Antonio as much of a football city, and like others have said, I can't see them getting behind a franchise like the Saints.

cougardude
04-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Or on TV for that matter. You can spend 149$ for the MLB
extra innings package, and still not got to see the Astros.
I am in Waco and it is easier for me to watch a Seattle Mariners
game than it is to watch an Astros game. They are always blacked-out.

As far as an NFL team coming to San Antonio....
I'm not sure the fan base is there. Your talking about a
city that is filled with life long Cowboys fans. And let's keep
in mind ...it's the Saints they are talking about....not exactly the
Patriots...it would be tough to get those fans to betray the Cowboys.

I have the Dish Network and they have been showing more Astros games than Rangers games. They "blackout" a lot of the games in Arlington. I like them both, but I am more of a Rangers fan.

Texas Hammer
05-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Yeah, that is annoying....especially for a Mavs fan.
I just don't think of San Antonio as much of a football city, and like others have said, I can't see them getting behind a franchise like the Saints.
All the cities that got listed and are similar sizes are known as regional cities and have more big-salary people than SA. The Alamodome doesn't have enough luxury suites and I don't see the fans leaving the Cowboys and to a lesser extent, the Texans. If SA was that great of a place for football, Red McCombs or Tom Benson, who are both from SA, would've already moved the Vikings or Saints to SA.

What you have to remember about SA is that everybody is a Spurs fan, but most can't afford to go to games. A lot of the fans were mad they couldn't get $5 tickets at the Alamodome anymore when the SBC Center opened. There still isn't enough high-paying jobs in SA to have a solid fanbase for football.

lonny23
05-14-2005, 08:07 AM
All the cities that got listed and are similar sizes are known as regional cities and have more big-salary people than SA. The Alamodome doesn't have enough luxury suites and I don't see the fans leaving the Cowboys and to a lesser extent, the Texans. If SA was that great of a place for football, Red McCombs or Tom Benson, who are both from SA, would've already moved the Vikings or Saints to SA.

What you have to remember about SA is that everybody is a Spurs fan, but most can't afford to go to games. A lot of the fans were mad they couldn't get $5 tickets at the Alamodome anymore when the SBC Center opened. There still isn't enough high-paying jobs in SA to have a solid fanbase for football.
Austin has the money for an NFL team, but somebody told me before that they are better suited to be a college town. Royal Stadium is big, but I don't know how many luxury boxes they have.

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't think I'd be too happy if I were a New Orleans Saints fan and the team gets sold and moves away.

This is exactly what happened in houston when bud adams moved the oilers...houstonians were upset and vowed to get a football team back in houston

lonny23
05-14-2005, 05:26 PM
This is exactly what happened in houston when bud adams moved the oilers...houstonians were upset and vowed to get a football team back in houston
It's the fans own fault the Oilers moved. Bud didn't get what he wanted and left. The Astros came close to leaving one time before they got a stadium. Overall, fan support for various Houston teams has been weak at times.

The whole sports scene is a dog eat dog world. If you don't support using public money on stadiums, you'll lose your team because somebody else will give up the money. You either choose to use the money for the teams and support them or feel good about yourself for being good stewards of money and lose the teams.

lonny23
05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
I really wish none of the big cities would use public money for stadiums. If everybody would agree to use the money better, all the owners would start using their own money to build the stadiums they want.

supercentex
05-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I think alot of people in Austin like myself would make their way down to San Antonio for the games also if the NFL team gets to play there.

Would be huge for San Antonio to get an NFL team there.

lonny23
05-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I think alot of people in Austin like myself would make their way down to San Antonio for the games also if the NFL team gets to play there.

Would be huge for San Antonio to get an NFL team there.
I've thought about that, but I figured Austin was a huge pro-Cowboys town, too.

The flipside is that most people get civic pride when they get a team, so they may drop the Cowboys if somebody else comes in.

wide-e-wide
05-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Drop the Cowboys?
Hush 'yo mouth...

supercentex
05-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah, i'll always be a cowboys fan no matter what.

I also like watching the Texans and would go to the NFL games in San Antonio since i'm not that far from San Antonio.

lonny23
05-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Drop the Cowboys?
Hush 'yo mouth...
Hey, I'm just being realistic. The Houston fans acted like they'd hated the Cowboys for years when they got the Texans.

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
05-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey, I'm just being realistic. The Houston fans acted like they'd hated the Cowboys for years when they got the Texans.

As a lifetime houston sports fan Ive hated the cowboys since i can remember...its not jealousy or anything i just hate the cowboys...when the oilers moved people expected me to root for the cowboys because they were teh only team in town but i pick other teams to root for from 1997-2001...frankly if the cowboys never won another game in the rest of their franchise it would not phase me

wide-e-wide
05-15-2005, 09:14 PM
the ultimate hater...
If not jealousy why all of the hatred?
I mean I hate the Redskins because of the rivalry...
and I hate the 49ers because of "the catch" err...(the fluke throw
away, accidently found Clark pass)
You can't say phrases like "never win another game" and not
have a reason.
Is it because the Oilers were still knockin' on the door...and Bum never
kicked it in?...Or maybe it is because of (dare I say) 35-3 and Buffalo
comes back?
just curious..

Texas Hammer
05-16-2005, 03:05 AM
the ultimate hater...
If not jealousy why all of the hatred?
I mean I hate the Redskins because of the rivalry...
and I hate the 49ers because of "the catch" err...(the fluke throw
away, accidently found Clark pass)
You can't say phrases like "never win another game" and not
have a reason.
Is it because the Oilers were still knockin' on the door...and Bum never
kicked it in?...Or maybe it is because of (dare I say) 35-3 and Buffalo
comes back?
just curious..
I don't blame him for hating the Cowboys. Bud Adams ruined having Bum as the coach. It's natural for me to hate all the teams in a certain city and it has nothing to do with their success or lack of success.

lonny23
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
As a lifetime houston sports fan Ive hated the cowboys since i can remember...its not jealousy or anything i just hate the cowboys...when the oilers moved people expected me to root for the cowboys because they were teh only team in town but i pick other teams to root for from 1997-2001...frankly if the cowboys never won another game in the rest of their franchise it would not phase me
He knows Dallas sports will always be better than Houston sports because the Dallas teams have better fans.

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
He knows Dallas sports will always be better than Houston sports because the Dallas teams have better fans.

up until cuban bought the mavs hardly anyone payed attention to them outside of dallas...now the fairweathers are out who when the mavs are back in the cellar will go back to being san antone or houston sports fans...

Texas Hammer
05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
up until cuban bought the mavs hardly anyone payed attention to them outside of dallas...now the fairweathers are out who when the mavs are back in the cellar will go back to being san antone or houston sports fans...
That's the garbage that all the Spurs fans say. The fact remains, Dallas plays to 105% and SA 99%. The Mavs sell out playoff tickets in a few minutes and the Spurs have tickets the day of the game in an arena that seats 2,000 less people. Wait, I forgot about the Rockets. They had playoff games in 1994 that didn't sell out. All you have to do is look at ebay to see fans in Dallas take the Mavs seriously. You may be waiting a long time before you see the Mavs bad again.

CoppellCowboy57
05-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I would actolly watch a San Antonio team play, I think that would be pretty sweet.

Rerun
05-19-2005, 09:20 PM

THANK YOU! I just now saw this and I can't agree more. It is freaking annoying. Especially when half the people here cant speak english and say Spuchss.

Texas Hammer
05-19-2005, 10:01 PM
THANK YOU! I just now saw this and I can't agree more. It is freaking annoying. Especially when half the people here cant speak english and say Spuchss.
GO SP.... Nah, I can't say that phrase! :D