PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of crazy formations or offenses

odessapermian.com
07-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I've had an idea for a while now, that I think could be effective when you have two good QB candidates of differing styles. How many times have you gone into two a days with a "throwing" QB and a "running" QB? My offense would be thus-

Base formation looks like wishbone or straight T. The "running" QB (#1) is lined up under center. The "throwing" QB (#2) lines up at fullback. This provides myriad options. #1QB can run triple option. Or, #1QB can go in jet motion from under center (how many def. offsides calls would you force? :D ) and #2QB gets a shotgun snap to set up a pass, or run zone read, etc. etc. The possibilities are endless.

KT2000
07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I think you need to go have a chat with Pirate Mike. :D

odessapermian.com
07-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Whodat?

slorch
07-20-2006, 07:10 PM
the mad scientist up the road about 120 miles north of Odessa.
(A.K.A. Mike Leach)

that would be interesting with Todd Walker or Robert Johnson playing the QB#1 position with their experience behind center and now proficiency at WR.

odessapermian.com
07-20-2006, 07:24 PM
the mad scientist up the road about 120 miles north of Odessa.
(A.K.A. Mike Leach)

Dang, I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:

slorch
07-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Dang, I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:
maybe,:D , but your formation idea sounds fun

Tut
07-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Could work in moderation and the right athletes. The team would need a high I.Q. or they would be more confused than the opposition.

AZTiger
07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Could work in moderation and the right athletes. The team would need a high I.Q. or they would be more confused than the opposition.

which is why it'd never work at Tech ;)

Panther63
07-20-2006, 10:04 PM
I've had an idea for a while now, that I think could be effective when you have two good QB candidates of differing styles. How many times have you gone into two a days with a "throwing" QB and a "running" QB? My offense would be thus-

Base formation looks like wishbone or straight T. The "running" QB (#1) is lined up under center. The "throwing" QB (#2) lines up at fullback. This provides myriad options. #1QB can run triple option. Or, #1QB can go in jet motion from under center (how many def. offsides calls would you force? :D ) and #2QB gets a shotgun snap to set up a pass, or run zone read, etc. etc. The possibilities are endless.
Art Briles at UH did something very similar,with reg.qb Kolb and his son Kendall who I think was an option qb in high school.He would line a wr next to Kolb an on the option he became the pitch man and when Kendall went in motion the wr would swing out of the backfield into a pattern.A couple of yr ago against TCU they scored a bunch of pts. with it.

slorch
07-20-2006, 10:43 PM
which is why it'd never work at Tech ;)
hey we didn't have to dumb down the offense for Mr Wunderlich...Like UT did

lonny23
07-23-2006, 02:24 AM
hey we didn't have to dumb down the offense for Mr Wunderlich...Like UT did
Didn't the UT playbook have like 5 plays?:D

Humblefied
08-11-2006, 02:00 PM
It sounds complicated, but workable. Looks like something that would be very fun to mess around with.

LeanderLions3033
08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Thats funny. This has been widely discussed (even though everybody knows it will never happen) in the Leander football program. Last year our qb controversy was with Drew Dunn (pocket passer) and Josh McKinnley (Dual threat qb). The year before the qb controversy was between Drew Dunn and Curenski Gilleylend (after seeing him play on the freshmen team many thought he was the second comming of a Paul Thompson or Al Pena type athlete at our school, but was moved to wide reciever after Drew won the starting job and has been our best wide reciever, but still backed Drew up as a sophomore and had very significant snaps). So last year Drew Dunn (sr), Josh McKinnley (jr) and Curenski Gilleylend (jr) that all had played very meaningful snaps over the course of their career. Drew ended up being the starting qb and district mvp, Josh McKinnley was a 2nd team all district wr and first team all district Saftey, and Curenski was a 1st team all district wr. But the possiblilties were endless.

jrock210
10-15-2006, 06:41 PM
u could come down to judson and do that...we have our mainly rushing qb (carl bouldin) and our mainly passing qb (austin quinney)when the time is needed though they can make use of other asbilities...bouldin can make big time passing plays if needed and quinney can run

SACokeSooner
10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Holmes has the same thing. A really good running sophmore QB (starter) who is a decent passer right now, and a fast, but not good running senior QB that is a really good passer.

The senior QB has been starting at running back, and they have run some plays where the sophmore throws to him and the senior QB/RB becomes the QB.

Edit: I looked at this, and it looks kinda stupid. A fast, but not good running QB now starts at running back. haha

svhorns
10-16-2006, 07:04 PM

Good idea but id rather run the oopty oop...

tigerdback083
10-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Didn't the UT playbook have like 5 plays?:D

yea last year I think it was vince left, vince right, vince up the middle, vince throw short, vince throw deep...

dragonsdaddy
10-18-2006, 07:50 AM
yea last year I think it was vince left, vince right, vince up the middle, vince throw short, vince throw deep...
what ever works. it was almost exactly the right number of plays, imo.

svhorns
10-18-2006, 01:48 PM
pretty sad no one could stop our 5 plays... and average more points than anyone ever in NCAA history.... with only 5 plays thats amazing...:D

tigerdback083
10-19-2006, 10:53 PM
pretty sad no one could stop our 5 plays... and average more points than anyone ever in NCAA history.... with only 5 plays thats amazing...:D

well, vince is basically a god, not to mention the rest of the team is studs.