PDA

View Full Version : Here's an offensive alignment for ya

jtk1519
07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8838/formation8an.jpg

That was from Abilene Cooper vs. Odessa Permian in 2003 I believe. I will try and post a video clip of it.

KT2000
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a game tape of Cooper vs. Arlington Lamar 2000 (courtesy of Coug78), and the Cougs opened that game with 4 receivers split out in single file to one side. They threw a hitch to Mavroulis, last WR in the single file with three blockers in front of him, and he picked up 10-12 untouched. I thought it was a nice opening play to get the defense thinking, and a nice safe pass to get Jordan Neal in rhythm to start the game. Cooper was machine like in the first quarter of that game, but I know you'd rather not remember the rest JTK.

LoneRocket
07-13-2006, 04:24 PM
We had a formation like that it was for desperate time which called for desperate measures.

jtk1519
07-13-2006, 04:37 PM
...but I know you'd rather not remember the rest JTK.

You just made me cry. :(

Firebird
07-13-2006, 04:54 PM
A HS team is nearly always well served by having at least one truly odd ball formation or gadget play ready to go. It can often be particularly effective using it as the first play right of the bat.

It is really a no lose situation for the team. NOTHING upsets HS players like getting their minds played with right from the get go-- already, the defense feels unprepared. If the play works, it will take a lot of wind out of their sails, too. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen this happen.If it doesn't--well-- it was only the games opening play. The main thing-- it should have a low turnover risk.

I know a lot of coaches have a set opening play that they ALWAYS run, sometimes a set opening series, the theory being that it gets the offense's in a rythem and comfortable. But, I believe that getting aggressive at the beginning is one of the best ways to take control of the game. Let the defense know that you are in the business of scoring points any way possible.

jtk1519
07-13-2006, 06:02 PM
The Cooper/Permian game shown above was won by Cooper that night 56-46 I believe. Quiz did a lot of great thing offensively that night (of course Antoin Livingston rushed for 6 TDs which didn't hurt).

The play shown above was actually Cooper's first offensive play of the game and they ran out of that formation for three consecutive plays...

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/jtk1519/Video/?action=view&current=001.flv

Initially, it didn't look like it made a whole lot of sense, but later you would see that Quiz was using these short screen passes to set up the big play. A few plays later and Cooper would line up in the "diamond" package that Quiz liked to use and this was the result...

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/jtk1519/Video/?action=view&current=002.flv

dragons08
07-14-2006, 02:45 AM

That was from Abilene Cooper vs. Odessa Permian in 2003 I believe. I will try and post a video clip of it.
sorta reminds me of that play in the Longest Yard...i wonder if thats even legal? center and qb, then everyone lined up on one side

farmerfan
07-14-2006, 03:10 AM
o it's legal, you will see that Cooper has 7 men on the LOS, I love it when teams come out and do kinks like these. It really can give a DC headaches and cause them to get out of their comfort zone.

farmerfan
07-14-2006, 03:11 AM
You just made me cry. :(

Don't worry JTK, I too was at that game and pulling for Cooper. I couldnt stand Lamar that year and that cocky son of a gun they had a RB that year, thank God his name has slipped my mind.

kickslide
07-14-2006, 11:10 PM
It is a good idea to have a few gadget plays ready for each game as wellaas one or two trick formations. There are several things that are good about these gadgets. One is, they are fun for the kids to practice, it is good to break up some of the monotony (sp) that can come with practice. Secondly, you can catch your opponent off guard and possibly get an easy 6, or at least force them to use a TO. Lastly it forces your upcoming opponents to use practice time to work on defending these plays and formations, taking time away from other aspects of their practice possibility.

Reaganrattler07
07-15-2006, 10:03 PM

So do you not have to have 5 lineman out?

But that's a pretty cool formation. I've seen something like that run at the college level. It was a shotgun with a trips formation to one side and a reciever (or a RB, cant remember) motion behind the trio and it was a swing pass to the motion man while the 3 WR's blocked.

KT2000
07-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I've only seen Stephenville line up in something like that at the HS level. The ran a similar play to the hitch video JTK posted (4 WR on left, one on right), except the Sville QB pump faked the hitch to 4 WR side and then hit the lone WR on the other side on a quick slant. Gashed the defense for a 30 yard gain.

drgnbkr
07-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I've only seen Stephenville line up in something like that at the HS level. The ran a similar play to the hitch video JTK posted (4 WR on left, one on right), except the Sville QB pump faked the hitch to 4 WR side and then hit the lone WR on the other side on a quick slant. Gashed the defense for a 30 yard gain.

Stephenville in 98 would line up that way and put Luker the QB in motion and the center would snap him the ball while in motion....makes the defenders go wobbly!

KT2000
07-15-2006, 11:12 PM
I have the 98 Stephenville-La Marque game on tape. It's one my favorite to watch for the creativity. Dang, I'm hitting on everyone's sore spots in this thread. :D ;)

Matthew 2000 Eagle
07-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Don't worry JTK, I too was at that game and pulling for Cooper. I couldnt stand Lamar that year and that cocky son of a gun they had a RB that year, thank God his name has slipped my mind.

That cocky son of a gun playing running back for Lamar in 2000 was Willie Montgomery. He didn't have too much to be cocky about after they played John Tyler in the semis.

dragonsdaddy
07-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I have the 98 Stephenville-La Marque game on tape. It's one my favorite to watch for the creativity. Dang, I'm hitting on everyone's sore spots in this thread. :D ;)
sville's offense was the most innovative and bewildering thing i had ever seen. it took defenses with the same zest the wishbone did in 1970. defenses beat themselves more often than not with the way they lined up. and the win totals prove it. they were one of the swaggeriest team ever.

KT2000
07-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Swaggeriest, nice.

When you have a 4000+ yard passer (Kelan Luker), a 2000+ yard rusher (Zach Hunter) and a 2000+ yard receiver (Cody Cardwell) in the same season, that's just ridiculous.

farmerfan
07-16-2006, 04:45 PM
That cocky son of a gun playing running back for Lamar in 2000 was Willie Montgomery. He didn't have too much to be cocky about after they played John Tyler in the semis.

ahh that was it. one of the few times I thought Coach Peach allowed one of his players to get out of control and one of the few times I could not tolerate watching Lamar play.

lonny23
07-17-2006, 03:34 AM
o it's legal, you will see that Cooper has 7 men on the LOS, I love it when teams come out and do kinks like these. It really can give a DC headaches and cause them to get out of their comfort zone.
The first thing I did was count how many guys were on the line. I like gadget plays, but you have to execute them correctly because you don't get many chances to do trick plays.

katyguy09
07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
So do you not have to have 5 lineman out?

But that's a pretty cool formation. I've seen something like that run at the college level. It was a shotgun with a trips formation to one side and a reciever (or a RB, cant remember) motion behind the trio and it was a swing pass to the motion man while the 3 WR's blocked.

is that the opty upp from varscity blues?????????

katyguy09
07-17-2006, 09:11 AM

is that the opty upe from varscity blues????????/

Tut
07-17-2006, 10:11 AM
The first time I saw that formation was in a pro game (decades ago) when former Oregon State qb Terry Baker lined up as the split back, took a lateral, and passed. Nobody knew what was going on. Trick plays, when used at the right time, can really get a team going.

odessapermian.com
07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I remember Abilene running that formation against us in '97 I believe. It was when Mayes was still here, not sure on the year though.

odessapermian.com
07-20-2006, 04:58 PM
o it's legal, you will see that Cooper has 7 men on the LOS, .

You also have to make sure you have the right jersey numbers on the line of scrimmage, ie you can't have a OL number outside a WR. But it is definitely legal.

AZTiger
07-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Steve Spurrier used to run that formation (or one similar) all the time at UF

FeeltheHaka
07-28-2006, 01:41 AM
We ran this play when I played in The Woodlands, and in Pee Wee football.
We called it the swinging gate.
I still see it pop up from time to time at various games.

youtellatale
11-14-2006, 06:02 PM
That formation is similar to the Emory & Henry formation. Steve Spurrier used a similar formation while at florida. Most memorably, he would have 2 tight ends on the numbers right next to a tackle, while over the ball was the center and next to him 2 guards, one on each side; there was a receiver behind each TE/T set and the QB was usually under center with the RB behind him. If the defense spreads, run up the gut, if the defense stayed tight, it was perfect for quick screens and the occasional pump and go. Honestly, these formations find their roots in the Lonesome Polecat, which is the forefather to the Run & Shoot offense. Abilene High runs the swinging gate rather often, which draws its roots from the LP. These formations, if run well can be very effective as an entire offense, not just gadgets.

okt0ber
11-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Seguin runs that play this year. And they'll line up quickly and run a swinging gate if the defense isn't set right. Worked for lots of 2 point conversions and a touhcdown against New Braunfels.