PDA

View Full Version : More on) Versatile McElroy picks BU (4.32 40 yd)

supercentex
06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
WTH - (More on) Versatile McElroy picks BU (4.32 40 yd)

Versatile McElroy picks BU

Friday, June 30, 2006

By Jerry Hill

Tribune-Herald assistant sports editor

Vann McElroy calls Baylor’s latest football commitment “as explosive a player as I’ve ever been around.”

Since Uvalde’s V.J. McElroy is Vann’s son, “you can take it with a grain of salt,” the dad said. But the younger McElroy turned down an offer from SMU and was getting recruiting attention from Nebraska, Texas A&M, Duke and Colorado State.

“All the measurable stuff like speed, strength and vertical jump, he’s at the top of the charts,” said Vann McElroy, an all-American safety at Baylor in 1981 who played seven years in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks.

“They have him penciled in at (rover), but he does offer them options. Because he can play corner or inside receiver and he can certainly return punts and kickoffs.”

V.J. gave head coach Guy Morriss his commitment Thursday after a campus visit that included a trip to the business school and meetings with defensive coordinator Bill Bradley and safeties coach Larry Hoefer.

“We sat down, me and my dad, and went over where I wanted to go,” V.J. said. “And it kind of all fell into place.”

McElroy is the 14th commitment for the 2007 recruiting class and the second legacy. Cedar Hill linebacker Chris Francis is the son of former all-America linebacker James Francis.

“His pictures are all over the place,” V.J. said, “but it doesn’t really bother me that much.”

“My biggest thing was making sure it was his call,” said Vann, a sports agent with Houston-based Select Sports Group. “We had a lot of schools come through and there was a lot of interest. But when it’s all said and done, I wanted him to feel good about his decision.”

Although he’s being recruited as a defensive back, V.J. is a two-year starter at quarterback for Uvalde and has earned all-district honors the last two years as a kick returner.

McElroy threw for 1,200 yards and six touchdowns last year and added 1,056 yards and 10 TDs rushing.

He also finished fifth in the 200 meters and sixth in the 100 at the district track meet and earned all-district honors in baseball, hitting .324 with 21 RBIs and 17 stolen bases.

At last summer’s SMU football camp, McElroy earned MVP honors and posted a 4.32-second time in the 40-yard dash.

Vann McElroy, part of Baylor’s 1980 Southwest Conference championship, said he is excited about the direction of the program.

“I think if you really analyze it, you have to feel that way,” he said. “Last year, they were competitive in every game. That hasn’t always been the case. And if you look at the recruits they’re bringing in, they’re getting a ton of speed. I really like the coaching staff there”

jhill@wacotrib.com

757-5715

Favpack
06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
When we first moved to Dallas in 1984 - Vann and his wife were members of the church we attended. He was fresh off the Raiders Super Bowl win. He was one of the most down-to-earth pro athletes I've ever been around.

I'm sure his son is a great fit for Baylor - these guys are moving up.

supercentex
06-30-2006, 10:40 AM
It will be very interesting in a couple of years to see what Baylor can do.

I haven't been to a Baylor game since 1991...but getting season tickets this season to see the hype.

They are about to build a brand new indoor athletic facility also.......attached to a learning center......on campus.