PDA

View Full Version : Strongest conference in 2005?

Joboots
07-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Which one you this is strongest top to bottom this season?

jtk1519
07-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Sec

wide-e-wide
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I agree ...SEC
Big X
Big XII
and Pac X

strongest militant leader.....you guessed it Malcolm X.

POB
07-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Big 12...no doubt

GTown02
07-23-2005, 12:47 AM
IMO
#1 SEC
#2 Big 10
#3 Big 12

LeanderLions3033
07-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I think next year it will go in this order

1. Big 10
2. SEC
3. Big 12
4. ACC
5. Pac 10
6. Big east

If im forgeting a BCS conference forgive me, i was trying to make the big east my last place conference.

businesstron
07-24-2005, 10:11 PM
SEC
Big 10
Big 12
MAC.......(not tough but interesting to watch).

pack0808
07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
1. big 10
2. sec
3. big 12
4. acc

i have enjoyed my iowa hawks beating 2 sec teams in the last 2 years in bowl games in florida and lsu.

pack0808
07-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Big 12...no doubt

why on earth would you say that?? have you looked at the big12 north lately?? not to mention you still have teams like baylor and okla st in the south. the big12 is down lately without a doubt. colorado, nebraska, and kansas st are normal powerhouses but now they are nothing more then average at best. you basically have ut and oklahoma and maybe a&m and tech that are solid teams. ou does not have the talent they are used to lately. this is a big time down year for the big12 overall in my opinion.

SummitGrad04
07-28-2005, 04:12 PM
why on earth would you say that?? have you looked at the big12 north lately?? not to mention you still have teams like baylor and okla st in the south. the big12 is down lately without a doubt. colorado, nebraska, and kansas st are normal powerhouses but now they are nothing more then average at best. you basically have ut and oklahoma and maybe a&m and tech that are solid teams. ou does not have the talent they are used to lately. this is a big time down year for the big12 overall in my opinion.
I'm gonna agree with you on this one. It seems like the Big XII has been overrated the last few years. They've got good teams, the overall conference isn't that strong.

southlake thug
07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
big 10

purdue is going undefeated this year

GTown02
07-28-2005, 06:38 PM
you cant include Ok St in the same category as Baylor.... Ok St does extremely well in Big XII South....

dragons08
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Big 10 and Big 12, are probally the top 2, its 2 hard to pick a winner

wide-e-wide
07-28-2005, 07:44 PM
No way...Ok ST. actually has a pretty solid team year in and year out.
Comparing them to Baylor is way off.
Does Baylor even have a football team?

dragons08
07-28-2005, 07:50 PM
big 10

purdue is going undefeated this year
spsh purdue, Illinois will pull off that undefeated season, and win National Championship, you heard it hear first :D

pack4life
07-28-2005, 10:43 PM
No way...Ok ST. actually has a pretty solid team year in and year out.
Comparing them to Baylor is way off.
Does Baylor even have a football team?

Well maybe you should ask aggy! :p

BIG 10
SEC
Big 12

Reaganrattler07
07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I'll go with the ACC.

dragons08
07-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I'll go with the ACC. in basketball, but in football? are you kidding me

Reaganrattler07
07-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm a big fan of Virginia Tech so yes. I believe it was the Longhorn magazine (i don't know what its called) predicted that Texas and Virginia Tech to meet in the Rose Bowl. Tech'll be there....but I doubt Texas will.

GTown02
07-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Oh c'mon... everybody is way off.... its going to be that powerhouse BCS conference known as the Big East! ;) :rolleyes:

pack0808
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
spsh purdue, Illinois will pull off that undefeated season, and win National Championship, you heard it hear first :D

yeah right?? even a delusional person would know better? illinois?? are you nuts??

pack0808
07-29-2005, 11:15 AM
i was just naming teams and i was not comparing okla st vs baylor literally. okla st is usually average to above average each year while baylor consistenly stinks.

dragons08
07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah right?? even a delusional person would know better? illinois?? are you nuts??
my future college :D (hopefully)

FootballJunkie
08-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big XII, Pac-10 in that order. Pac 10 at the bottom because besides USC no one stands out this year. Big XII next to last because there are no good teams in the North Division and Oklahoma can be beat as USC proved. Texas will have to get by Ohio State on the road and finally beat Oklahoma. Other than those 2 no one else will be in the running. ACC with Florida State, Miami and VA Tech is next. SEC is better from top to bottom than ACC and Big XII and finally Big Ten seems to be the best this year at least at the start of the season. Only time will tell.

pack0808
08-02-2005, 09:12 AM
you know the big12 north is severely down when the iowa st. cyclones win it. they were barely over .500 and are usually a bad to mediocre program.

garlandowl08
08-02-2005, 11:23 PM
THe sad part is that hthey didnt win...Colorado did...

lonny23
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Texas Tech will suprise a few people this year. OK State and OU will both be down, but A&M and Baylor are up. The North doesn't look too good.

I don't like the Big 10, but they may be OK this year. I bet the ACC is good, but my money is on the SEC being the best. It won't take Urban Meyer long to win a national title at Florida.

dragons08
08-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Texas Tech will suprise a few people this year. OK State and OU will both be down, but A&M and Baylor are up. The North doesn't look too good.

I don't like the Big 10, but they may be OK this year. I bet the ACC is good, but my money is on the SEC being the best. It won't take Urban Meyer long to win a national title at Florida.
OK, thats it? man..wake up! i think it was on the Hot List, they had Big 10 ranked number one! :D

pack0808
08-03-2005, 09:03 AM
THe sad part is that hthey didnt win...Colorado did...

oh my bad, i know they were right there to win it at the end. iowa st must have finished 2nd?? what was colorado's record last year?? they were pretty brutal if my memory serves my correctly this time.

pack0808
08-03-2005, 09:06 AM

iowa sure enjoyed manhandling those gators in their own state just 2 years ago. that was an ugly game!! zook is at illinois now so maybe that will help the gators. ;)

farmerfan
08-03-2005, 11:25 AM
iowa sure enjoyed manhandling those gators in their own state just 2 years ago. that was an ugly game!! zook is at illinois now so maybe that will help the gators. ;)

That is the worst thing to ever happen to the frat houses in Champaign.

I say the SEC is in a league but itself, after that I would say it goes in this order: Big 10, ACC, Big 12, Pac-10.

pack0808
08-03-2005, 11:47 AM
i disagree with the sec being in a league by itself. i know i keep saying it but i have seen my team and big 10 team iowa beat 2 of the best sec teams in 2 straight years. iowa manhandled florida in 2003 and dominated lsu for 3 quarters last year until lsu made a 4th quarter comeback. yes iowa won on a last second hail mary but some forget that iowa was in control for 3'4th's of that game and it was lsu that made the great comeback. i would say the sec and the big 10 are usually pretty equal with the sec being slightly better in recent years. but i give the big10 the edge this year. people keep saying michigan and ohio st but has anybody looked at iowa's big 10 record in the last 3 years. i believe they are 21-3!! :eek: and that was without a top 25 recruiting class. not even close actually!! this year they are in the top 10 in recruiting by most rankings for the first time since the 80's. think what ferentz can do with top 10 type of talent. many think he is the best coach in the nation and many nfl teams are begging him to join with the job he has done with the players he has had. many are starting in the nfl and most were nobody's as recruits when they come to iowa. he just signed a long time contract with the hawks. my point, watch out michigan and ohio st because you may no longer be the class of the big 10 in the future. iowa has shared the conference title 2 of the last 3 years and have won at least 10 games each of the last 3 years while finishing in the top 10 nationally. the defense is what has been the rock for iowa and that will not change this year. they have been in the top 10 or 5 nationally on defense for 3 straight years. the lb corps should be the best in the nation with greenway and hodge. both our projected top 10 nfl picks next year. :eek: my point, watch out for the hawks in the future because i do not think they are going away as long as ferentz is there. this will only make the big 10 tougher. i am sorry for going on about my hawks but i get pumped up about them just like i do my panthers. :)

farmerfan
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
The Big 10 is a very respected conference, however dealing with 2005, the SEC is better. After Michigan, OSU and Iowa, there is a big drop in the big 10. In the SEC, you have at least 5 teams who belong among the top 15 in the country, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Auburn. Throw in Alabama and you have 6 teams who will finish in the top 25 this year, I dont think the Big 10 can claim that. In the SEC you have at least half the teams in the conference who are all going to be ranked in the preseason top 25, the Big 10 does not? Factor in Arkansas and South Carolina and you are looking at 2 more with the potential to be among the top 25 at some point in the season. No conference in America as the depth of quality teams like the SEC. That is why I believe they are in a league of their own.

You also throw out the head to head, no one is going doubt that the Iowa has been among the elite, all true college football fans also know that they are going to be among the elite as long as Frentz is there. However I believe that Iowa was the Big 10's 2nd place team a year ago, LSU was 4th in the SEC, finishing behind Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee, so it should come as no suprise that the 2nd place team from the Big 10 would beat the 4th best team from the SEC. Also, as far as the BCS goes, I believe the SEC has won more BCS games than the BIG 10 has, I know that the SEC has 5 different schools who have won a BCS game, I believe the Big 10 only has 3 (michigan,ohio state and wisconsin). Factor all that in, and I dont see how you could say the Big 10 is as good or better than the SEC.

dragons08
08-03-2005, 01:14 PM
i'll give zook 2 years, and by then, illinois will be competing for a big 10 championship, funny thing is ESPN U All Access guys, just agreed on my theory of that! just wait and see!!!

farmerfan
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
zook is a great recruiter, but with the talent he had in Gainseville, if he could finish no better than 3rd in his division at Florida, what makes you think he will do better at Illinois?

pack0808
08-03-2005, 04:58 PM
i always respect your opinion farmer because you know your stuff but i did not say the big 10 was better in recent years i said i think the big 10 is better then the sec overall this year. i said i give the sec a slight edge in recent years. i just want to make that clear. iowa shared the title with michigan last year at 7-1 believe me i know as a hawk fan when they win a big 10 title because they do not come often. ;) they do not use a tie breaker rule in the big 10 so even though michigan gave iowa their only loss it still does not mean they did not share the title. i like to point out iowa destroyed ohio st while the buckeyes dominated michigan pretty much. the difference was ohio st played at iowa where they have won 20 in a row and iowa played at michigan. keep in mind, iowa has still beaten michigan 2 of the last 3 years. iowa also shared the conference title with ohio st in 2002. both teams went 8-0. ok on to my next point, none of those sec teams you have mentioned are consistanly dominant lately besides lsu and georgia. didn't georgia barely survive a bowl game with big 10 wisconsin last year?? tennesse and florida have been up and down lately but nothing like they have been in the past, ditto with auburn and alabama besides the tigers last year. arkansas and south carolina usually is average to mediocre. i do think south carolina will be in the race soon though because of spurrier. you forgot about purdue and wisconsin when you were naming the big 10. purdue should be very tough next year but i do think the badgers will have a tough year. watch out for northwestern!! you heard it here first. they have talent this year. i think both conferences are very even but i would put their top against the big 10 top teams and feel pretty confident. i would put ohio st, iowa, purdue, and michigan up against lsu, auburn, georgia, and tennesse and i would feel very confident the big 10 would win 2 maybe 3 of those 4 games. at least 2!!

by the way here is a new article that came out today by terry bowden on what it would be like if there were a playoff with 16 teams. 4 big 10 teams were in the final 16 while 5 sec teams were there. but you have to remember he bleeds sec. lol there was only 2 big12 teams and you know who they are without looking. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-playoff16preseason080205&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

farmerfan
08-03-2005, 05:29 PM
well one thing is for sure then, the cream of the crop in college football right now comes from the SEC and Big 10, I think the Big 12 will surpass the Big 10 within the next year or two, but for the time being the SEC and Big 10 are the best. (in my own opinion, i still feel the SEC is better, but im the one who also felt that OU was going to murder USC last year, so i might not know as much as I wish I did)

FootballJunkie
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I agree with both of the previous 2 post except for the part about the big XII surpassing the Big 10. Unless the north division re-awakens then half the conference is mediocre to bad and in the south there is Baylor. So for the near future the Big XII is the Big 2 meaning OU and UT.

pack0808
08-04-2005, 09:17 AM
i agree football junkie. north teams like nebraska, colorado, and kansas st will have to reawaken for them to be better then the big 10 in a few years. i do think the aggies and the red raiders are on the rise in a big way. the big12 north is a joke right now.

farmerfan
08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
the big 12 north is a laugher, but give Callahan some time and he could turn Nebraska back into a solid team, I think Bill Snyder and K-State cant be overlooked, only because he has already turned them from the worst college football program to one of the best so it can be done again at K-State. At one time it was the South that was pathetic in this conference with only A&M being a top 25 team in 97, and Texas being the only one in 96. Like Pack has said, A&M and Tech are both improving greatly, and I think Tech has a great shot to crack the top 10 and maybe even finish in the top 10 this year. A&M is not far from being a consistent top 15 team. OSU if they can keep the recruting going they to will stay among the top 30 teams in America, so as bad as the North is, the teams in the south are improving so much that I think they overtake the Big 10. I dont think you will find many conferences that can boast what both Texas and OU have accomplished on a consistent basis over the last 4-5 years, you add that with the other three in the Big 12 south and that alone will propel them over the Big 10.

dragons08
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
zook is a great recruiter, but with the talent he had in Gainseville, if he could finish no better than 3rd in his division at Florida, what makes you think he will do better at Illinois?
i just have a feeling, and if he gets the recruits, then gets fired, then we get a good guy, then we should be fine :D

FootballJunkie
08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Farmfan the question is not who was better in the past but who is better in 2005 and the answer to that is THIS year the Big 10 is better than the Big XXII on paper anyway. Games still have to be played on the field but looking at it Big 10 is better.

farmerfan
08-05-2005, 12:58 PM
i realize what the question was, and if you read above you will see that is why i posted that I felt the SEC is in a league by itself, mainly due to the quality of teams in 2005.
Now I added my thoughts on the Big 12, and some other people voiced why they did not think the Big 12 was going to be able to unseat the Big 10, I feel otherwise. So I realize that the question is concerning the 05 season, and you will see that I have the Big 10 listed above the Big 12 in my original post, other people got carried away and thats when future years got brought into this.

FootballJunkie
09-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Not to antagonize anyone but lets see!!! ACC is looking pretty good. Clemson beats Texas A@M and Georgia Tech beats Auburn so any thoughts on this now. Any changes to the rankings???

pack0808
09-03-2005, 11:51 PM
The Big 10 did not lose today!! They absolutely destroyed the MAC today!! My Hawks won 56-0.

Reaganrattler07
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I still say the ACC...and if you all look at some of the earlier posts on this thread, you all laughed at me for saying that :p

pack0808
09-05-2005, 12:07 AM
I think the top 3 conferences are 1. BIg 10 2. SEC 3. ACC

dragons08
09-05-2005, 12:13 AM
I think the top 3 conferences are 1. BIg 10 2. SEC 3. ACC
hmm acc as a 3rd? i think big 12 edges ACC for the 3rd

FootballJunkie
09-05-2005, 12:18 AM
hmm acc as a 3rd? i think big 12 edges ACC for the 3rdWell if Wake Forest a team picked next to last in the ACC beats Nebraska at home next week then perhaps you will change your mind considering 2 mid level teams have already knocked of A@M and the defending SEC champs Auburn the first weekend. May not be best Conference but in Top 3.

dragons08
09-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Well if Wake Forest a team picked next to last in the ACC beats Nebraska at home next week then perhaps you will change your mind considering 2 mid level teams have already knocked of A@M and the defending SEC champs Auburn the first weekend. May not be best Conference but in Top 3.
if that happens i will reconsider like you said

pack0808
09-05-2005, 12:47 AM
The BIg 12 might not even be a top 5 conference this year. Oklahoma is down and all you basically have is Texas and maybe Texas Tech?? This could be the worst year for the big 12 since they begin. Did you see that Nebraska struggled to beat freaking Maine at home. What in the hell has happened there?? They are one of the best of all time and now they are a joke??

farmerfan
09-05-2005, 05:20 AM
Not only did Nebraska struggle with Maine, but Okie State struggled with Montana State :eek: . As of right now the Big 12 is not among the top 3 conference's in the nation. I still think the SEC is the toughest, but that is purely opinion on my part. After witnessing the Georgia game live, I think a lot of people have underrated the Bulldogs, they have a very good shot at winning the SEC East and winning the SEC championship.
The Big 10 also seems to be very strong with Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa, and supposedly Penn State is much improved.
Georgia Tech may have beat Auburn, but Auburn lost a ton of talent from last years team, however Vanderbilt defeated Wake Forrest so that cancels out the Ga Tech win for the ACC. Overall I would say the SEC and Big 10 are much stronger than the rest of the country.

FootballJunkie
09-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Not only did Nebraska struggle with Maine, but Okie State struggled with Montana State :eek: . As of right now the Big 12 is not among the top 3 conference's in the nation. I still think the SEC is the toughest, but that is purely opinion on my part. After witnessing the Georgia game live, I think a lot of people have underrated the Bulldogs, they have a very good shot at winning the SEC East and winning the SEC championship.
The Big 10 also seems to be very strong with Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa, and supposedly Penn State is much improved.
Georgia Tech may have beat Auburn, but Auburn lost a ton of talent from last years team, however Vanderbilt defeated Wake Forrest so that cancels out the Ga Tech win for the ACC. Overall I would say the SEC and Big 10 are much stronger than the rest of the country.I guess you did not see Tennesee strugle with that powerhouse UAB or South Carolina struggle with Central Florida and yes Auburn lose to Georgia Tech. Putting it all in perspective it may be Big-10, SEC, ACC but but there is no big difference between the three as you say.

farmerfan
09-05-2005, 02:50 PM
I saw Tennessee struggle with UAB, the Georgia fans were loving it and just about ready to claim themselves as East divisions champs. Also didnt Illinois struggle in their opener? this is one of those debates where most people have their own opinion and in most cases everyone has valid points, as the season goes on we will see which conference steps up and seperates itself from the rest of the pack.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-05-2005, 04:52 PM
1) Big XII (OU, Texas, Tech, OSU, A&M...these teams are still very tough. The level of football in the south is higher than that of any other region. The SEC may be better...actually probably is slightly better, I'm just biast because of the Texas High School kids...considering it's the best Football State.)

2) SEC (LSU, Tenn, Georgia, Florida, Auburn...National Power Depth)

3) ACC (Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech...can play with anyone.)

4) Big Ten (Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State...pretty good. We'll see if Ohio State has what it takes to play with the south teams, i.e. Texas,...we know, from the Rose Bowl, Michigan doesn't.)

5) Pac 10 (USC is the only credible team. Cal almost beat USC last year, then played Texas Tech in a bowl game and got the shaft. Tech?...They're like the 4th or 5th best team in the Big 12.)

FootballJunkie
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
1) Big XII (OU, Texas, Tech, OSU, A&M...these teams are still very tough. The level of football in the south is higher than that of any other region. The SEC may be better...actually probably is slightly better, I'm just biast because of the Texas High School kids...considering it's the best Football State.)

2) SEC (LSU, Tenn, Georgia, Florida, Auburn...National Power Depth)

3) ACC (Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech...can play with anyone.)

4) Big Ten (Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State...pretty good. We'll see if Ohio State has what it takes to play with the south teams, i.e. Texas,...we know, from the Rose Bowl, Michigan doesn't.)

5) Pac 10 (USC is the only credible team. Cal almost beat USC last year, then played Texas Tech in a bowl game and got the shaft. Tech?...They're like the 4th or 5th best team in the Big 12.)
Last five AP National Champions you have 2 from USC, 1 from Ohio State, 1 from Miami, and one from OKlahoma where is this dominance by the south. UT beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl on a last second field goal come on lets be real. You need to swap Big 10 and Big XII then you will have it right.

farmerfan
09-05-2005, 06:26 PM
When did Southern California move into the south? I could have sworn they are considered a west coast team, not a southern team. :rolleyes:

FootballJunkie
09-05-2005, 06:32 PM
That's my point the south has NOT been dominant like what was said just used last five AP champions to show that.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Last five AP National Champions you have 2 from USC, 1 from Ohio State, 1 from Miami, and one from OKlahoma where is this dominance by the south. UT beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl on a last second field goal come on lets be real. You need to swap Big 10 and Big XII then you will have it right.

National Championships since 1990...

1991 Miami
1992 Alabama
1993 Florida St
1994 Nebraska
1995 Florida
1996 Nebraska
1997 Tennessee
1998 Michigan
1999 Florida St
2000 Oklahoma
2001 Miami
2002 Ohio State
2003 LSU
2004 USC

* bold represents southern schools.

Only Ohio State, Michigan represent the northern teams...twice. USC represents the West Coast once. The National Championship trophy, since 2000, is called the BCS...not AP. If you do that you can say Auburn is last years National Champions as well.

So out of the last 15 years alone the south owns the National Championship trophy. Florida schools, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee represent the south.

Sorry...the North is nothing compared to the southern teams.

FootballJunkie
09-05-2005, 07:12 PM

1991 Miami
1992 Alabama
1993 Florida St
1994 Nebraska
1995 Florida
1996 Nebraska
1997 Tennessee
1998 Michigan
1999 Florida St
2000 Oklahoma
2001 Miami
2002 Ohio State
2003 LSU
2004 USC

Only Ohio State, Michigan represent the northern teams...twice. USC represents the West Coast once. The National Championship trophy, since 2000, is called the BCS...not AP. If you do that you can say Auburn is last years National Champions as well.

So out of the last 15 years alone the south owns the National Championship trophy. Florida schools, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee represent the south.

Last 10 years AP Poll champions I say again AP poll champions not other garbage poll the champions have been:
2004- USC
2003- USC
2002- Ohio St.
2001- Miami
2000- Oklahoma
1999- Florida St.
1998- Tennesee
1997- Michigan
1996- Florida
1995- Nebraska
1994- Nebraska
I only see 4 out of the 10 from the south. Without a true playoff system we will never know which team is TRULY the best each year but I don't agree that the south is Dominant. Aside from the state of Florida who else is consistantly good anywhere.

farmerfan
09-05-2005, 07:20 PM

1991 Miami
1992 Alabama
1993 Florida St
1994 Nebraska
1995 Florida
1996 Nebraska
1997 Tennessee
1998 Michigan
1999 Florida St
2000 Oklahoma
2001 Miami
2002 Ohio State
2003 LSU
2004 USC

Nebraska is not a southern team, the true south consists of mainly schools from the SEC and ACC with the exception of BC, never has Nebraska been considered the south and they never will be.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Last 10 years AP Poll champions I say again AP poll champions not other garbage poll the champions have been:
2004- USC
2003- USC
2002- Ohio St.
2001- Miami
2000- Oklahoma
1999- Florida St.
1998- Tennesee
1997- Michigan
1996- Florida
1995- Nebraska
1994- Nebraska
I only see 4 out of the 10 from the south. Without a true playoff system we will never know which team is TRULY the best each year but I don't agree that the south is Dominant. Aside from the state of Florida who else is consistantly good anywhere.

Agree to disagree!! I dont count that AP stuff after 2000...its the BCS!!! The south has dominated the last 15 years.

FootballJunkie
09-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Agree to disagree!! I dont count that AP stuff after 2000...its the BCS!!! The south has dominated the last 15 years.The AP has been crowning the National Champs for the past 50+ years but now it does not count?? Although the BCS used the AP poll as part of their selection. OK well agree to disagree.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Georgia Tech may have beat Auburn, but Auburn lost a ton of talent from last years team, however Vanderbilt defeated Wake Forrest so that cancels out the Ga Tech win for the ACC. Overall I would say the SEC and Big 10 are much stronger than the rest of the country.

Farmer you are forgetting 2 very solid teams in Purdue and Minnesota. Both are much better then Penn St. No comparison!! There goes bsp again?? The guy must be blinded by facts. He just ignores the champions of the last 15 years and says the south has dominated the last 15 years?? What?? And again, Ohio St has played there last 2 bowl games against southern teams from the Big12 look it up.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
I looked up the last 3 years on how Ohio St has done vs southern teams since this guy seems to think the Buckeyes are not capable of beating any good team from there?? :rolleyes:

2004 Ohio St 33 Oklahoma St. 7
2003 Ohio St. 35 Kansas St. 28 BCS Bowl Game and K st was the Big 12 champs
2002 Ohio St 45 Texas Tech 21 At the Shoe
2002 Ohio St 31 Miami (Fl) 24 Ohio St. wins national championship.

Looks to me they can somehow play with these southern teams!! :eek: Know the facts before you say stuff like that.

RDAWG11
09-06-2005, 10:20 AM
1- BIG 12
2-SEC
3 ACC
4- Big 10

concha
09-06-2005, 10:47 AM
AP poll champions:
2004- USC (West Coast)
2003- USC (West Coast)
2002- Ohio St. (Midwest)
2001- Miami (South)*
2000- Oklahoma (South)
1999- Florida St. (South)*
1998- Tennesee (South)
1997- Michigan (Midwest)
1996- Florida (South)*
1995- Nebraska (Midwest)
1994- Nebraska (Midwest)

* Florida teams typically depend on out-of-state QBs. Not sure how many are counted here, truth be told. Miami gets 40%+ of it s roster from out-of-state and depends on Cali and Northern QBs in most years.

I'm hardly seeing the South running over everyone.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
1- BIG 12
2-SEC
3 ACC
4- Big 10

LOL!! This guy is in some serious denial. The Big 12 might be the 5th best this year. They are usually in the top 3 or 2 but not this year. The Big 10 is easily the 1st or 2nd right now. Things could change??

farmerfan
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Farmer you are forgetting 2 very solid teams in Purdue and Minnesota. Both are much better then Penn St. No comparison!! There goes bsp again?? The guy must be blinded by facts. He just ignores the champions of the last 15 years and says the south has dominated the last 15 years?? What?? And again, Ohio St has played there last 2 bowl games against southern teams from the Big12 look it up.

Joe Tiller does a excellent job at Purdue. They always seem to produce some fine football teams. Glen Mason usually does the same at Minnesota. Do you see anyone other than the big 3 challenging for the Big 10 title this year? I would say it looks as if Iowa or OSU should be the favorites since Michigan did not play that impressive of a game last week. But then again, Michigan is always a team that starts off slow.

wide-e-wide
09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I love the Big XII...but with all due respect the Big 10 is a much stronger conference this year...and last year for that matter.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Joe Tiller does a excellent job at Purdue. They always seem to produce some fine football teams. Glen Mason usually does the same at Minnesota. Do you see anyone other than the big 3 challenging for the Big 10 title this year? I would say it looks as if Iowa or OSU should be the favorites since Michigan did not play that impressive of a game last week. But then again, Michigan is always a team that starts off slow.

Purdue is always very tough to beat!! Minnesota rushing attack is just sick man!! They almost cannot be stopped. Iowa has had one of the best rushing defenses in the nation for 3 years straight finishing in the top 5 all 3 years and once #2. I mean you basically have no shot at running on them!! The only team i have seen capable is Minnesota. They were #1 twice before meeting Minnesota and they ruin the stats every time. LOL Yes Iowa wins the games vs Minnesota but they still can rack up the rushing yardage even against a team that is one of the best in the business at stopping the rush. Barber and Maroney were almost unstoppable behind one of the best if not the best ol's in football the last few years and were the first in a very very long time 2 have 2 rushers gain at least 1,000 yard 2 years straight. This year it is just Maroney and he almost had the Minnesota single season rushing record in the 2nd quarter at Tulsa the other day. I believe he had 220 yards when i went to sleep before half. They are always a team to watch for but the defense is always suspect. They usually fold in the Big 10. They have won a couple of bowl games lately. Michigan's offense is great but the defense just gives up too many yards and points. Their defense does not compare to Iowa or Ohio St or even Purdue's. I think Purdue could be a surprise team that takes the Big 10 because of their schedule. They only play Iowa and they do not meet Ohio St or Michigan. I believe they play Iowa at home. They got a gift of a Big 10 schedule this year. They could easily sneak in and win the Big 10 this year. Iowa is looking for their 2nd Big 10 title in only 3 years and hopefully this year they will not have to share it. They shared it with Ohio St in 2002 and Michigan in 2004.

farmerfan
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Purdue is always very tough to beat!! Minnesota rushing attack is just sick man!! They almost cannot be stopped. Iowa has had one of the best rushing defenses in the nation for 3 years straight finishing in the top 5 all 3 years and once #2. I mean you basically have no shot at running on them!! The only team i have seen capable is Minnesota. They were #1 twice before meeting Minnesota and they ruin the stats every time. LOL Yes Iowa wins the games vs Minnesota but they still can rack up the rushing yardage even against a team that is one of the best in the business at stopping the rush. Barber and Maroney were almost unstoppable behind one of the best if not the best ol's in football the last few years and were the first in a very very long time 2 have 2 rushers gain at least 1,000 yard 2 years straight. This year it is just Maroney and he almost had the Minnesota single season rushing record in the 2nd quarter at Tulsa the other day. I believe he had 220 yards when i went to sleep before half. They are always a team to watch for but the defense is always suspect. They usually fold in the Big 10. They have won a couple of bowl games lately. Michigan's offense is great but the defense just gives up too many yards and points. Their defense does not compare to Iowa or Ohio St or even Purdue's. I think Purdue could be a surprise team that takes the Big 10 because of their schedule. They only play Iowa and they do not meet Ohio St or Michigan. I believe they play Iowa at home. They got a gift of a Big 10 schedule this year. They could easily sneak in and win the Big 10 this year. Iowa is looking for their 2nd Big 10 title in only 3 years and hopefully this year they will not have to share it. They shared it with Ohio St in 2002 and Michigan in 2004.

In 2002 it was OSU that got the gift of a Big 10 schdule by not having to play Iowa. I felt in 2002 that the 2 best teams in the country at the end of the year were Iowa and USC, I still believe that the long lay off Iowa had before the Orange Bowl was one of the reasons they lost so bad, I think I remember hearing that they went from somewhere around November 10th to January 3rd w/o a game.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah and Coach F said he will never ever do that again. It has paid off so far considering they won their last 2 January bowl games. He let them go home for a long break before that bowl game plus they had not played in forever. Iowa probably would have not beat USC that day but it would have been a lot closer in my opinion. I did not even recognize them that night.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-06-2005, 04:36 PM
AP poll champions:
2004- USC (West Coast)
2003- USC (West Coast)
2002- Ohio St. (Midwest)
2001- Miami (South)*
2000- Oklahoma (South)
1999- Florida St. (South)*
1998- Tennesee (South)
1997- Michigan (Midwest)
1996- Florida (South)*
1995- Nebraska (Midwest)
1994- Nebraska (Midwest)

* Florida teams typically depend on out-of-state QBs. Not sure how many are counted here, truth be told. Miami gets 40%+ of it s roster from out-of-state and depends on Cali and Northern QBs in most years.

I'm hardly seeing the South running over everyone.

1990 Colordao*
1991 Miami*
1992 Alabama*
1993 Florida St*
1994 Nebraska
1995 Florida*
1996 Nebraska
1997 Tennessee*
1998 Michigan
1999 Florida St*
2000 Oklahoma (BCS)*
2001 Miami (BCS)*
2002 Ohio State (BCS)
2003 LSU (BCS)*
2004 USC (BCS)*

*Southern Teams (Geographically)

MY POINT, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, HAS BEEN if you draw a horizontal line in the middle of the U.S., the south teams will have won all but 4 of the last 15 championships.

HENCE...the south rules!! The north and particularly the North-East can have Basketball! Football is owned by the country boys of the south!! SOUTHERN CALI, TEXAS, COLORADO, OKLAHOMA, LOUISANA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, TENNESSEE and ALABAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The north has Indiana (Notre Dame), Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio!! And yes all of these programs are heralded...but not in the last 30 years!!! Compared to the South...the North isn't that good!! I wish those Big 10 schools would play the SEC, ACC and Big 12 teams on a regular basis!! It wouldn't be very pretty for the Northeners!!

pack0808
09-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Iowa has played the SEC twice in the last 2 years and won and Ohio St has won 4 vs the Big 12 in the last several years. What would make it so different if they played regularly. I would like to see some Southern schools come up and play in the Big 10. Believe me they can hold their own. The Big 10 has been one of the best conferences for a long time now and you need to wake up. Go back and look up some of the recent bowl games when the Big10 and Big 12 played and i promise you the Big10 has a big edge. If you think the Big 12 is better then the Big 10 this year you need help. The SEC is definitely one of the best if not the best this year. It is out of the SEC, The Big 10 and the ACC this year.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 04:52 PM
1990 Colordao*
1991 Miami*
1992 Alabama*
1993 Florida St*
1994 Nebraska
1995 Florida*
1996 Nebraska
1997 Tennessee*
1998 Michigan
1999 Florida St*
2000 Oklahoma (BCS)*
2001 Miami (BCS)*
2002 Ohio State (BCS)
2003 LSU (BCS)*
2004 USC (BCS)*

MY POINT, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, HAS BEEN if you draw a horizontal line in the middle of the U.S., the south teams will have won all but 4 of the last 15 championships.

HENCE...the south rules!! The north and particularly the North-East can have Basketball! Football is owned by the country boys of the south!! SOUTHERN CALI, TEXAS, COLORADO, OKLAHOMA, LOUISANA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, TENNESSEE and ALABAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The north has Indiana (Notre Dame), Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio!! And yes all of these programs are heralded...but not in the last 30 years!!! Compared to the South...the North isn't that good!! I wish those Big 10 schools would play the SEC, ACC and Big 12 teams on a regular basis!! It wouldn't be very pretty for the Northeners!!

I count 5 championships for the North in the last 15 years unless you are counting Colorado as South. It is hard for me to count them as a southern team?? I also see they have won 3 of the last 9 and that is not good?? You act like they never win one??

wide-e-wide
09-06-2005, 04:55 PM
This is not the same guy that was talking about South Virginia that one time is it?...that would explain everything.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Iowa has played the SEC twice in the last 2 years and won and Ohio St has won 4 vs the Big 12 in the last several years. What would make it so different if they played regularly. I would like to see some Southern schools come up and play in the Big 10. Believe me they can hold their own. The Big 10 has been one of the best conferences for a long time now and you need to wake up. Go back and look up some of the recent bowl games when the Big10 and Big 12 played and i promise you the Big10 has a big edge. If you think the Big 12 is better then the Big 10 this year you need help. The SEC is definitely one of the best if not the best this year. It is out of the SEC, The Big 10 and the ACC this year.

Pack I was making my point, about the North vs South...(via National Championships)...the fact that Ohio State beat Texas Tech, who at the time was the 6th or 7th best team in the Big 12, means nothing. Playing Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia...those are the schools we're talking about.

And...do you think Ohio State would have won that National Championship game without Maurice Clarrett?...No!...

Then why did you expect Miami to win without Willis McGahee?

If they played that game without any injuries occurring I promise you there would have been a different outcome!!!! The way Miami dominated that year was scary...while Ohio State barely beat Michigan and a few others.

Lets agree to disagree. I'm not budging an inch...compared to the powers of the south, the North is irrelevent.

FootballJunkie
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
1990 Colordao*
1991 Miami*
1992 Alabama*
1993 Florida St*
1994 Nebraska
1995 Florida*
1996 Nebraska
1997 Tennessee*
1998 Michigan
1999 Florida St*
2000 Oklahoma (BCS)*
2001 Miami (BCS)*
2002 Ohio State (BCS)
2003 LSU (BCS)*
2004 USC (BCS)*

Since when is USC part of the south? LSU and USC split in 2003, 94-95 Nebraska won, 91 Washington huskies and Miami split, 97 Michigan and Nebraska split, Florida won in 96. So 8 of 15 years it was team from North so where is the domination?????????

ThEgReAtOnE
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
This is not the same guy that was talking about South Virginia that one time is it?...that would explain everything.

Wide-e-wide I have no idea who this guy is...anyways, what about our bet??

I'm ready!! :D

You're cool as hell, dude!!

wide-e-wide
09-06-2005, 05:08 PM
There was a thread a few months ago about the civil war. And some bozo made a comment about South Virginia. The whole board laughed at him...I don't think he has been on here since.

Refresh my memory...what is the bet?
I have like 3 of 'em going already on the game.
But I'm down...tell me the details.

pack0808
09-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Pack I was making my point, about the North vs South...(via National Championships)...the fact that Ohio State beat Texas Tech, who at the time was the 6th or 7th best team in the Big 12, means nothing. Playing Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia...those are the schools we're talking about.

And...do you think Ohio State would have won that National Championship game without Maurice Clarrett?...No!...

Then why did you expect Miami to win without Willis McGahee?

If they played that game without any injuries occurring I promise you there would have been a different outcome!!!! The way Miami dominated that year was scary...while Ohio State barely beat Michigan and a few others.

Lets agree to disagree. I'm not budging an inch...compared to the powers of the south, the North is irrelevent.

Ok?? lets talk about those teams. Iowa beat Florida in a bowl in 2003 and LSU in 2004. Michigan lost to UT by 1 point. How could you not count A&M and not put KSU in there?? They won the Big 12 in 2003 when they beat OU and Ohio St beat them in a BCS bowl. You are killing me with the Ohio St. should have not won the nc in 2002. They did what they had to do!! period!! I am not saying that the North is better but you are giving them absolutely no respect and it makes no sense?? That is all!! I would put teams like Ohio St, Iowa, Michigan, and Purdue up against anybody in the US and i would think they would have a pretty good chance besides maybe a USC last year. I do think USC is beatable this year. Ohio St is a powerhouse and they deserve respect. I know how good they are in most years and i know what good football is!!

pack0808
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM
There was a thread a few months ago about the civil war. And some bozo made a comment about South Virginia. The whole board laughed at him...I don't think he has been on here since.

Refresh my memory...what is the bet?
I have like 3 of 'em going already on the game.
But I'm down...tell me the details.

Now Colorado is in the south!! I do remember that wide that was funny. He tried to cover his tracks!! I do not remember who it was??

pack0808
09-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah we were talking the south not the big 12. I would not classify Kansas as south either.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh yeah we were talking the south not the big 12. I would not classify Kansas as south either.

Thats fine...you can have Kansas!! Who cares? Move on!!

pack0808
09-07-2005, 09:08 AM
I will gladly move on. I was simply responding to your comments that you made about the Big10. Agree to disagree!! If you do not care to talk about it do not make those comments. ;) So onward we go. LOL

TheProphet
09-08-2005, 05:13 PM
It was a little before I was way into college football, but ohio state won the 02 NC on a bogus pass interference call in OT that should have been the last play of the game....now as for the teams I wont say because i didnt see them play but 1 game, nevertheless that should be brought into the light

ThEgReAtOnE
09-08-2005, 06:06 PM
It was a little before I was way into college football, but ohio state won the 02 NC on a bogus pass interference call in OT that should have been the last play of the game....now as for the teams I wont say because i didnt see them play but 1 game, nevertheless that should be brought into the light

Plus Miami's star back, Willis McGahee, was hurt and left the game. Would Ohio State have won without Maurice?....Never!!

Miami, just like the year before, was the best team, overall, and should have won the 02' NC.

farmerfan
09-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Plus Miami's star back, Willis McGahee, was hurt and left the game. Would Ohio State have won without Maurice?....Never!!

Miami, just like the year before, was the best team, overall, and should have won the 02' NC.

Could woulda shoulda. If miami was so much superior to OSU, then why did they not build a big lead in the 3+ quarters that McGahee played? OSU did something to Miami and Ken Dorsey that no one had been able to do, and that was get presure on him, they won that game and the national championship on the heels of their defense and special teams and they were the better team that night.

FootballJunkie
09-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Could woulda shoulda. If miami was so much superior to OSU, then why did they not build a big lead in the 3+ quarters that McGahee played? OSU did something to Miami and Ken Dorsey that no one had been able to do, and that was get presure on him, they won that game and the national championship on the heels of their defense and special teams and they were the better team that night.
OSU was better that night I agree with you and they proved it on the field.