PDA

View Full Version : Best Week 0 Event For 2005

NewSherriffInTown
04-09-2005, 02:25 AM
A couple questions from a Native New Yorker...

Based on this year's lineups, what is the best slate of games as a whole this year and why???

Also, if you could jump around to any of these events, what are the best games for each of the days...

The 2005 Great Texas Sports Shoot-Out will be held August 25-26-27 at Round Rock ISD Complex. The four-game lineup includes:
August 25: 3A Hutto vs. 3A Leander Vista Ridge
August 26: 4A Brenham vs. 4A Brownwood
August 27: 3A Giddings vs. 3A Sealy
August 27: 4A Kerrville Tivy vs. 5A Pflugerville

Texas Football Classic in Alamodome
San Antonio Churchill and San Antonio Marshall at 7:30 PM. on Thursday, Aug. 25;
Wolfforth Frenship and Boerne at 7:30 PM. on Friday, Aug. 26;
San Antonio Reagan and Harlingen at Noon on Saturday, Aug. 27;
Bay City and La Marque at 3:45 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 27; and
McAllen and San Antonio O'Connor in the finale at 7:30 PM. on Saturday, Aug. 27.

East Texas Classic in Tyler
3A Gilmer and 4A Pine Tree HS in Longview will open the East Texas Football Classic for the second straight season, at 8 PM on August 25.
4A Texas HS in Texarkana and 5A John Tyler HS in Tyler will be showcased again in the East Texas Football Classic, with a kickoff of 8 PM on August 26.
The third game of the East Texas Football Classic will pit Wylie HS against The Colony HS, at 4 PM on August 27.
The 8 PM kickoff on August 27 between 5A Robert E. Lee and 3A Chaminade Madonna will be the finale of four games in the East Texas Football Classic

The Reliant Park High School Football Classic in Houston is expected to host A&M Consolidated vs. Aldine Eisenhower then Katy vs. The Woodlands on August 27.

And there is apparently a one day double-header in Dallas as well...let me have it...I want tons of opinions...

jtk1519
04-09-2005, 03:11 AM
To me, the best week 0 matchup (and one I wont miss) is Midland Lee vs. Southlake Carroll at a newly renovated Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. The two teams have won a combined 4 5A state titles (2 each) and 2 national championships (1 each) since '99. Not sure on the exact time and date of this game but I will find it and post it ASAP.

Chief Wahoo
04-09-2005, 08:13 AM
To me, the best week 0 matchup (and one I wont miss) is Midland Lee vs. Southlake Carroll at a newly renovated Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. The two teams have won a combined 4 5A state titles (2 each) and 2 national championships (1 each) since '99. Not sure on the exact time and date of this game but I will find it and post it ASAP.

Or 5 state titles since 1998 (Lee 1998,1999,2000). ;)

CoppellCowboy57
04-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Coppell vs Dallas Jesuit, is a dirty week one game, the Coppell and D.Jesuit, hate each other ever since the hockey season 2yrs ago, when fans from both side started a right in the Farmers Branch star center.

and then it boiled over into soccer season when Coppell knocked Jesuit out of the soccer playoffs...it could very well be rematch again...

Then when it came to this years football game Coppell had never lost to Jesuit, they came out ticked off, and ended up spanking us right before the SLC game...it sucked

Alamo_Mojo
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm trying to get fired up about the Texas Football Classic in Alamodome / The closer it gets I'm sure the more fired up I'll be. :cool:

Favpack
04-11-2005, 07:14 PM

jtk - what were the renovations to Shotwell?

pack4life
04-11-2005, 07:45 PM
I think the matchups @ reliant would be spectacular. Plus, its a great stadium. Katy .vs. TWHS will be a great one to see.

Chief Wahoo
04-11-2005, 09:25 PM
jtk - what were the renovations to Shotwell?

I am not jtk but I do live in Abilene. The renovations have been going on for the past 3 years or so. We had new turf put in back in 2001 (I think that is when it was). Then we got the new scoreboard 2 years ago. Last year they paved most of the parking lots (sad to say they had been dirt up until then). This year they are renovating the locker rooms and concession stands and possibly a couple of other small renovations (help me out jtk). I do not think the stadium capacity of 15,000 is going to be addressed but there is talk about renovating the bleachers as well as putting in some stadium seats in some areas in the near future. That stadium is 45 years old and needed every bit of what it is getting IMHO. :D

jtk1519
04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
The Chief is right. By the time the 2005 season starts, Shotwell should look dramatically different. The locker facility in the South endzone is being overhauled and expanded. New buildings are being constructed above the North endzone. The outside walls and entrances are being replaced with something more esthetic. I believe the concourses will be remodled as will bathrooms and concession stands. After this season will come the final phases of the renovations which will include a new pressbox, chairback seats, etc.

Here's what the Stadium looked like just after the turf was installed (before any of the other work including the parking lots)...

http://www.safeplayturf.com/turf/shotwell/shotwell_3.jpg

...and here is the master plan showing what the stadium will look like when all is done.

http://img201.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img201&image=shotwellmasterplan7wg.jpg

Here are some pictures I took the other day of the work in progress...

http://photobucket.com/albums/y12/jtk1519/Shotwell/

KT2000
04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for linking those pics, jtk. Coug tells me no word yet on whether or not the new Shotwell will be a "No Fly Zone" for your friendly neighbors.

Bay City-La Marque is the best zero week match-up overall, but Carroll-Lee will be the best 5A match-up based on the research I've done so far.

Also, Katy vs. The Woodlands at Reliant Stadium should be a dandy. They are the two best supported programs in the greater Houston area, so there should be a good sized crowd on hand for that one. Each program has a lot of talent right now, and that's always good for cranking up the hype machine.

Favpack
04-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Thanks jtk and Chief - I also recall the player entrance ramps were redone - I still kinda miss the ol' drive down ramp from the south end zone - remembering all the vintage cars that made it around the field for all the homecomings. It was well done and much needed.

Chief Wahoo
04-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks jtk and Chief - I also recall the player entrance ramps were redone - I still kinda miss the ol' drive down ramp from the south end zone - remembering all the vintage cars that made it around the field for all the homecomings. It was well done and much needed.

Yup, those were good 'ol days. Since they laid the new turf, they don't allow the vintage cars to come out at homecoming anymore. They now use golf carts to parade the girls around the field. I kinda miss that. :)

dragonsdaddy
04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
close to all the games in sa are non-factors as are the east texas games. they didn't attract much quality or oot teams to either. too much dough for the show i guess.

Allkaty07
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Katy- Woodlands game is ganna be one to watch! If you love being surounded by traditon(Sea of Red). The hype on this game will grow very high before late Aug!

Also that SLC- Midland game should be very crazy! Im very intrested to see how strong SLC is early in the year... For some great teams it takes a regular season for a team to form into its championship self.. But on the other side some teams that just explode out of the gate and never look back! Much like Katy in 00 and last years SLC. :) But on top of all that look for Midland to have a very good chance at upseting the defending champs.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Katy- Woodlands game is ganna be one to watch! If you love being surounded by traditon(Sea of Red). The hype on this game will grow very high before late Aug!

Also that SLC- Midland game should be very crazy! Im very intrested to see how strong SLC is early in the year... For some great teams it takes a regular season for a team to form into its championship self.. But on the other side some teams that just explode out of the gate and never look back! Much like Katy in 00 and last years SLC. :) But on top of all that look for Midland to have a very good chance at upseting the defending champs.I'm gonna take a trip to that SLC vs. Midland Lee game to see really Lee since we play them a couple of weeks after. I think SLC wins by say 30? maybe more. don't they have all the WR's back in camp this year?

TheDuke
04-12-2005, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Allkaty07]Katy- Woodlands game is ganna be one to watch! If you love being surounded by traditon(Sea of Red). The hype on this game will grow very high before late Aug!

WHAT ABOUT THE SEA OF GREEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!!
:eek:

drgnbkr
04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
From what I've seen on here Midland Lee lost more talent than Carroll...is that the read everyone's getting?

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
From what I've seen on here Midland Lee lost more talent than Carroll...is that the read everyone's getting?

Yes they did lose more talent that Southlake Carroll but Southlake Carroll seems to stay same.

relraiderfan
04-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I personally think the 2 games in Houston would be the best set of weekend games. I will be at the Midland Lee-SLC game since I live in Abilene. I also wouldn't mind being at the Tyler Lee-Chaminade game Saturday night, but it is too much of a drive.

jtk1519
04-12-2005, 06:20 PM

Lee has lost a lot. I personally feel that SLC may be a little better this year than last. They return a lot of good kids including those WRs. I think McElroy will put up better passing numbers than Daniel or Wasson did (he wont rush for as many though). To me, the only question is at RB, but I have heard several people say Nate NEwton's son should be the RB.

As for Lee... they lose a lot of very quality athletes. Quiz is one of my favorite guys in the world, but seeing as how this is the first game of the year... I have to pick SLC by a couple of TDs.

catman
04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
A couple questions from a Native New Yorker...

And there is apparently a one day double-header in Dallas as well...let me have it...I want tons of opinions...

So who might be in a double-header in Dallas?

I went to the 2 games at Reliant last year and would recommend this year's matchup of Katy and TWHS to anyone. Especially if you have never seen a game at the stadium before.

As for myself, I will probably make it to SA on Saturday. I like to sit in the big air-conditioned stadiums when I watch football in the heat of August. LaMarque and Bay City are two of the top 4A teams every year. Harlingen-vs-Reagan looks to be a pretty good game also. I don't think that McHi will be able to keep up with O'Connor though. I don't get a chance to see RGV teams often. They have been playing better ball of late and are eager to make a good showing against other Region 4 teams.

As of now, my picks for best matchups would be---
Thursday---Gilmer-vs-Pine Tree
Friday------Brenham-vs-Brownwood
Saturday---LaMarque-vs-Bay City or Katy-vs-TWHS