PDA

View Full Version : Early baseball thread...

greatestdane
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
My other favorite sport! I love the high school format. Let's talk Metroplex baseball. You make the call....

Which team will be the best team in the Metro?

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team?

Which team will over-perform?

Which team will under-perform?

Which team will come back to earth?

Which team will take the next step?

drgnbkr
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
My other favorite sport! I love the high school format. Let's talk Metroplex baseball. You make the call....

Which team will be the best team in the Metro?

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team?

Which team will over-perform?

Which team will under-perform?

Which team will come back to earth?

Which team will take the next step?

Hard to know who has what this early....Congrats!:notworthy

tigertail
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Which team will be the best team in the Metro? Plano

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team? Coppell

Which team will over-perform? Cedar Hill

Which team will under-perform? Burleson

Which team will come back to earth? Dallas Jesuit/L.D. Bell

Which team will take the next step? Mansfield Legacy

I have been waiting for one of these!!!!!!!! My first year on the board and my first baseball season! :yes:

greatestdane
01-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Taking the easy way out! ;)

tigertail
01-10-2012, 12:15 PM

We know SLC will be up there. Always are!

drgnbkr
01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
One great pitcher and you're in business.

desotoeagle
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I may be the only Desotite who even cares about baseball anymore. 12-15 years ago we were awesome.

Which team will be the best team in the Metro? Mansfield Legacy (Two awesome pitchers)

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team? Colleyville Heritage

Which team will over-perform? I agree with Tiger. Cedar Hill. They always do.

Which team will under-perform? Midlothian.

Which team will come back to earth? Us and Arlington.

Which team will take the next step? W.T. White beats Jesuit this year.

tigertail
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Taking the easy way out! ;)

You didn't give us yours. :p

greatestdane
01-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Good point. Here you go.

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team? SLC :D

Which team will over-perform? I've got L.D. Bell but I like Cedar Hill too. (Who shouldn't even be in this discussion.)

Which team will under-perform? Coppell

Which team will come back to earth? Dallas Jesuit

Which team will take the next step? Flower Mound

Gangsta3
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
We know SLC will be up there. Always are!

"Come on man!" How can you not pick the tigers to do anything? I saw yall play when I was watching my nephew play against yall. Yall are legit.

JagFan
01-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Good point. Here you go.

Which team will over-perform? I've got L.D. Bell but I like Cedar Hill too. (Who shouldn't even be in this discussion.)

No doubt!

tigertail
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
"Come on man!" How can you not pick the tigers to do anything? I saw yall play when I was watching my nephew play against yall. Yall are legit.

Oh no, not at all! We will be us. We should compete for the district title. We need a #2 pitcher to prove himself I believe. We will crush the ball and we are still a young hitting team. We will be fine Gangster! :heli:

desotoeagle
01-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Good point. Here you go.

Why? They play good ball over there and have an real deal pitcher who will give them a chance against a lot of teams.

tigertail
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
No doubt!

Are you guys returning a good deal of players or are you all just that good?

greatestdane
01-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Why? They play good ball over there and have an real deal pitcher who will give them a chance against a lot of teams.

For the same reason most teams from south Dallas County are not, and will not be, in this discussion. Look at the records of the teams from that area, save Desoto last year, and you will see that they do a great deal with the kids they have. That pitcher, even being there, is a credit to the program.

desotoeagle
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
For the same reason most teams from south Dallas County are not, and will not be, in this discussion. Look at the records of the teams from that area, save Desoto last year, and you will see that they do a great deal with the kids they have. That pitcher, even being there, is a credit to the program.

I suppose I understand the reality. It was actually our first true winning season in 6 or 7 years. Now I believe we will be back to the usual sub 500 stuff. Our coaches do a good job getting that. Lost some really good players. This isn't Desoto of old.

SOC: 0 wins
Carter: 4 wins
Lancaster: 0 wins
Dunc: 4 wins

tigertail
01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I suppose I understand the reality. It was actually our first true winning season in 6 or 7 years. Now I believe we will be back to the usual sub 500 stuff. Our coaches do a good job getting that. Lost some really good players. This isn't Desoto of old.

SOC: 0 wins
Carter: 4 wins
Lancaster: 0 wins
Dunc: 4 wins

The reality is, also, that none of those teams must play us, Legacy, South Grand Prairie, or Midlothian. Those teams could not survive in this district. Yeah we crushed them once but it was nothing they did. We were just on fire that night. Cedar Hill competes with these teams and should not be able to do so in my opinion. In actuality they out-perform Midlothian which is ridiculous.

Gangsta3
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Please man. Cedar Hill ain't that far from SGP and they do alright.

greatestdane
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Please man. Cedar Hill ain't that far from SGP and they do alright.

You are right. So why can't South Grand Prairie or Grand Prairie win a football game? Grand Prairie baseball talent is better just like Cedar Hill football talent is better. Things are the way they are.

desotoeagle
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
You are right. So why can't South Grand Prairie or Grand Prairie win a football game? Grand Prairie baseball talent is better just like Cedar Hill football talent is better. Things are the way they are.

Boom! :yes:

JagFan
01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Are you guys returning a good deal of players or are you all just that good?

I will be honest I am not positive on who is returning (still researching that) but I do know the JV and freshman teams had great years last year, so a lot moving up. I just got a feeling this will be a huge step year for FM and FM baseball will start it. :)

tigertail
01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I will be honest I am not positive on who is returning (still researching that) but I do know the JV and freshman teams had great years last year, so a lot moving up. I just got a feeling this will be a huge step year for FM and FM baseball will start it. :)

I know that there is good tradition there so those coming up are expected to be ready to go. Maybe we will meet in the playoffs.

JagFan
01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I know that there is good tradition there so those coming up are expected to be ready to go. Maybe we will meet in the playoffs.

I hope so. Playoffs- step one. ;)

Gangsta3
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Boom! :yes:

Boom? :rolleyes:

desotoeagle
01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Boom? :rolleyes:

Yeah! Boom! Besides, where are your picks anyway?

Gangsta3
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah! Boom! Besides, where are your picks anyway?

You can shutup now.

Which team will be the best team in the Metro? Frisco Wakeland

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team? Highland Park

Which team will over-perform? Mesquite Poteet

Which team will under-perform? Grapevine

Which team will come back to earth? SGP (YEAH!)

Which team will take the next step? Keller?

desotoeagle
01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
You can shutup now.

Which team will be the best team in the Metro? Frisco Wakeland

Which team will be the dark-horse Metro team? Highland Park

Which team will over-perform? Mesquite Poteet

Which team will under-perform? Grapevine

Which team will come back to earth? SGP (YEAH!)

Which team will take the next step? Keller?

Rude. Good picks though. I liked the way you dipped into 4-A.

DragonFan0316
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I am still hurting from the Dragons melt down in last years playoffs. I don't know how anyone will do but I will be watching.

tigertail
01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I am still hurting from the Dragons melt down in last years playoffs. I don't know how anyone will do but I will be watching.

What happened? Congrats on the football title. :notworthy

desotoeagle
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM

They had a meltdown apparently.

tigertail
01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
They had a meltdown apparently.

Thank you. I would like to know the ins and outs of the meltdown.

dragonpants
01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
No doubt!

He is biased. :D

I cannot say it enough, I am so happy for everyone involved. Better keep my mouth shut.

JagFan
01-14-2012, 12:02 PM

I cannot say it enough, I am so happy for everyone involved. Better keep my mouth shut.

;)

tigertail
01-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Spill it. I saw the JV and freshman schedules last season. That is enough for anyone to be excited about the future. That is some depth right there.

marcusdrillmom
01-14-2012, 03:48 PM

I think the Jags will have a good year in baseball. Not so sure about the Marcus team yet...

JagFan
01-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Spill it. I saw the JV and freshman schedules last season. That is enough for anyone to be excited about the future. That is some depth right there.

No biggie- According to a few we should have one of the best teams we have had in a while. While I am no baseball expert, I know that we are always good in baseball so that is saying something.

JagFan
01-14-2012, 04:41 PM
I think the Jags will have a good year in baseball. Not so sure about the Marcus team yet...

Marcus is always competitive. Our district is a bear. I hope they can put it together this year. I do believe they barely missed the playoffs last year.

tigertail
01-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Welcome to the thread! You guys had an fully grown man back in the day named Ryan Smith. He was a great player. When I think of Marcus baseball, I think of that guy.

greatestdane
01-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the thread! You guys had an fully grown man back in the day named Ryan Smith. He was a great player. When I think of Marcus baseball, I think of that guy.

He went to UCLA and played football and baseball. He was a very good player. I haven't thought of that name in 10 years. I saw him play football a few times.

marcusdrillmom
01-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Thank you for the welcome. And I do remember Ryan Smith he was great. I think our best team in years went through a couple of years ago. While Marcus seemed to struggle last year. I know they return alot of starters so will be interesting.
I really think Flo Mo will have a strong team this season.

tigertail
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you for the welcome. And I do remember Ryan Smith he was great. I think our best team in years went through a couple of years ago. While Marcus seemed to struggle last year. I know they return alot of starters so will be interesting.

What kind of rivalry is it, friendly or chippy?

marcusdrillmom
01-16-2012, 07:52 AM

I would say friendly with some chippiness thrown in... Baseball has lost some of its steam at Marcus the last couple of years. But I know that when we play Flo Mo the stands will be full. Both teams return a number of Seniors. I think Flo Mo will be a little stronger though...

JagFan
01-16-2012, 08:18 AM

I agree with MDM. It is friendly with a healthy dose of competitiveness. The kids from Flower Mound and Marcus all grow up together, play pee wee and select league sports together and the biggie go to church together. They compete like heck on the fields but go to each others houses after.

desotoeagle
01-16-2012, 11:20 AM
I agree with MDM. It is friendly with a healthy dose of competitiveness. The kids from Flower Mound and Marcus all grow up together, play pee wee and select league sports together and the biggie go to church together. They compete like heck on the fields but go to each others houses after.

Wierd.

marcusdrillmom
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Wierd.

We call it community... the schools are about 3 miles apart.
I think my D has as many freinds at Flo Mo as she does at Marcus. As JagFan said these kids grow up together, pee wee leagues, dance classes, youth groups, mission trips tie the community together

JagFan
01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Wierd.

How?

CCCSportsFan
01-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Last years team was loaded with hitting and pitching talent. They just ran into a Plano team that knocked them out of the playoffs much sooner than we expected.

How does Colleyville look this year? Could it be their playoff break out season?

desotoeagle
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
How?

I guess I'm just used to the disliking of rivals.

JagFan
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
I guess I'm just used to the disliking of rivals.

I hear ya. Football season gets pretty interesting around here. But nothing that carries over for very long. At church my son has kids from Flower Mound, Marcus, Lewisville, Coppell and Lake Dallas in his youth group.

greatestdane
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Irony here! I spoke with an old coach today who said that the year Ryan Smith graduated the all-district outfield Smith was a part of was one of the best he can remember: 1) The aforementioned Ryan Smith--Marcus 2) Daniel Ortmeyer(sp)--Lewisville and 3) Jeremy Fathery--Grand Prairie

Smith, as spoken about went on to play at UCLA. Ortmeyer(sp) went on to play with the San Francisco Giants and Colorado Rockies. Here is the irony. Fathery went on to play college ball and is now the head baseball coach at the previously mentioned overachieving, Cedar Hill! I found this very coincidental. I am sorry if you do not. :yes:

tigertail
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Funny, here in Mansfield it is perceived this way because the players talk trash to one another in a crowded setting or behind the backs and then when approached at the batting cages or the movies it is all friendly. Basically, like the women in a Bachelor episode.

tigertail
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Irony here! I spoke with an old coach today who said that the year Ryan Smith graduated the all-district outfield Smith was a part of was one of the best he can remember: 1) The aforementioned Ryan Smith--Marcus 2) Daniel Ortmeyer(sp)--Lewisville and 3) Jeremy Fathery--Grand Prairie

Smith, as spoken about went on to play at UCLA. Ortmeyer(sp) went on to play with the San Francisco Giants and Colorado Rockies. Here is the irony. Fathery went on to play college ball and is now the head baseball coach at the previously mentioned overachieving, Cedar Hill! I found this very coincidental. I am sorry if you do not. :yes:

Ha. I will give credit! Very interesting indeed!

JagFan
01-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Funny, here in Mansfield it is perceived this way because the players talk trash to one another in a crowded setting or behind the backs and then when approached at the batting cages or the movies it is all friendly. Basically, like the women in a Bachelor episode.

Does some of that go on here? Sure but overall it is community first. Have no doubt the boys and girls from FM want very badly to beat Marcus and the same is true on the Marcus side. I am thankful it is not a hated rival but a competitive one.

Now back to baseball- First pitch Feb. 4. Let's go!!

desotoeagle
01-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Wow. Good find! I guess some good players do make good coaches. I have always thought good players sucked as coaches.

marcusdrillmom
01-17-2012, 08:14 AM

WOW certainly a very talented group of guys! I was just thinking that our team from a couple of years ago went the furthest we had ever been in the playoffs.. But I could be mistaken on the playoff run. There was no one player of Ryan Smith status, but a solid team of strong players.

oh and I think Ortmeyer's dad is our current head trainer...

Gangsta3
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
WOW certainly a very talented group of guys! I was just thinking that our team from a couple of years ago went the furthest we had ever been in the playoffs.. But I could be mistaken on the playoff run. There was no one player of Ryan Smith status, but a solid team of strong players.

oh and I think Ortmeyer's dad is our current head trainer...

I remember seeing the guy from Grand Prairie name on the wall last year. That must have been a good gang of players.

tigertail
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Is it still to early???? I believe baseball starts.... ummmm..... TOMORROW! :heli:

chhspantherfan
01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
our schedule is posted. Starts with a scrimmage w/SLC.....here we go!!

LINK (http://www.chhspanthers.com/baseball/Schedules/Varsity.aspx)

greatestdane
01-27-2012, 08:25 AM
our schedule is posted. Starts with a scrimmage w/SLC.....here we go!!

LINK (http://www.chhspanthers.com/baseball/Schedules/Varsity.aspx)

There will be some good baseball on display there!

chhspantherfan
01-27-2012, 09:51 AM
There will be some good baseball on display there!

yep, and to answer CCC about our chances in the playoffs, we have to get there first.

desotoeagle
01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
yep, and to answer CCC about our chances in the playoffs, we have to get there first.

I really think you will be fine. ;)

chhspantherfan
01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I really think you will be fine. ;)

We have a good nucleus and I feel that we will be in the mix come playoff time. time will tell and as always it comes down to pitching. Will know more in two weeks after seeing a few scrimmages.

dragonpants
01-27-2012, 02:16 PM
We have a good nucleus and I feel that we will be in the mix come playoff time. time will tell and as always it comes down to pitching. Will know more in two weeks after seeing a few scrimmages.

Is Cody Thomas a pitcher?
I know he is a great baseball player and I have asked you before but I am old and cannot remember.

chhspantherfan
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Is Cody Thomas a pitcher?
I know he is a great baseball player and I have asked you before but I am old and cannot remember.

corner outfielder and outstanding hitter.

dragonpants
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
corner outfielder and outstanding hitter.

Is middle panther playing this year?

chhspantherfan
01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Is middle panther playing this year?

running track. little panther is trying out as a frosh.

dragonpants
01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
running track. little panther is trying out as a frosh.

Does Carroll return much from last year, I know Ben Sego has signed with Kansas State and Dillon Rake is supposed to be very good.

chhspantherfan
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Does Carroll return much from last year, I know Ben Sego has signed with Kansas State and Dillon Rake is supposed to be very good.

I haven't looked hard at it, but the baseball around here is always good. I suspect that Carroll will have their share again.

desotoeagle
02-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Realignment puts us back with Cedar Hill and Duncanville! :heli: I think we can beat Duncanville.

Just on annual production:

Mansfield
South Grand Prairie
Cedar Hill
Midlothian
DESOTO
Grand Prairie
Duncanville
Timberview

WE ARE RIGHT THERE! We may have our shots. Not a great baseball district but it will be in basketball and football.

chhspantherfan
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM
CHHS vs. SLC scrimmage is scheduled for Monday 2/6 but there is rumor that it is being pushed back to Tuesday. Anyone hear that?

chhspantherfan
02-05-2012, 07:39 AM
nm

chhspantherfan
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
CHHS bounces back from last week to look really good in dispatching Sachse. Pitching didn't allow a run and middle of the order produced. On to Hebron at The Ballpark on Friday. Then a Saturday three way and we are done until the season starts on the 23rd with The Baylor Healthcare Classic.

tigertail
02-25-2012, 11:31 PM
CHHS bounces back from last week to look really good in dispatching Sachse. Pitching didn't allow a run and middle of the order produced. On to Hebron at The Ballpark on Friday. Then a Saturday three way and we are done until the season starts on the 23rd with The Baylor Healthcare Classic.

How is it shaking out? We are hitting the ball well. I thought we would.

twcpfan1
02-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Good start for College Park. 5-0 so far

JagFan
02-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Flower Mound went 3-2 at The Woodlands Tournament

Beat The Woodlands twice and Langtham Creek once. Lost to Kincaide and Westside.

chhspantherfan
02-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Panthers go 4-1 in Baylor Healthcare Tourney losing to Coppell 3-1 in the final. Good start to the year.

desotoeagle
02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Cedar Hill went 5-0 and won our tourney.... We looked like I thought we would.

Tom
02-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Guyer's 5-0, apparently. :D Hey, we're still 5A until the end of the school year.

JagFan
02-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Guyer's 5-0, apparently. :D Hey, we're still 5A until the end of the school year.

I saw Guyer is signed up to play in our tournament this weekend. Ready to see what ya got.

tigertail
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, we had Burleson tonight. They looked like college players but do so many things wrong. I would say we jumped on them early but they jumped on themselves. They are not as good as they should be.

JagFan
02-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Oops I had bad information on Sunday. We went 4-1 at The Woodlands tournament. From the FMHS Jaguar page:

The varsity finished the weekend with an overall record of 4-1. We won the 2012 Woodlands Tournament by beating the #3 ranked in the state twice and the #5 ranked team with a come from behind win 10-9 in the last game on Saturday. Overall the team played great and they represented FMHS well this weekend.

Our JV baseball team played in the Denton High school varsity tournament. This tournament had 4A-5A varsity teams in it and our JV went 5-0 and won the tournament.

Our 9th grade team hosted their tournament this past weekend and went 4-0 including a 1-0 win over Marcusí 9th grade team. They also won the tournament.

So overall the three teams combined for a 13-1 record and three tournament championships.