PDA

View Full Version : Abilene High vs. Abilene Cooper - who wins?

Shoot2thrill
10-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Crosstown showdown week is here in 3-5A. Looks like this one is for the outright title (although Mojo can still have a say). Who do you think will win? Both teams can light it up. AHS has had trouble with passing teams and Cooper's Nicholas is a gunslinger. AHS is more battle-tested thanks to the brutal non-district schedule but this rivalry has so much emotion riding on it that anything can happen. What do you think?

thestud
10-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't recall the stats ever being this close coming into this game

Passing
Clayton Nicholas- 133/206-1892 19-td 9-int
Evin Abbe- 134/201-1837 17-td 4-int

Rushing
Matt Watson- 109-618
Kerry Sims- 30-353

Paxton Grayer- 123-943
Marcell Porter- 71-641

Abilene High offense averaging 44.5 ppg, Cooper D giving up an avg of 21.8

Cooper offense averaging 39.75 ppg, Abilene High D giving up 25.6 ppg.

Both teams have played a few powderpuffs, but no doubt the tougher preseason schedule was played by the Black and Gold. I expect Cooper to throw everything and anything at us because no matter what the cirumstances or records, this is the game that both sides will fight their hardest. The Eagles secondary played very well last night, but Nicholas is the all-time leading passer in Cougar history for a reason. Jake McMillon and Shaq Sims are going to have to get some pressure on the QB.

cougardude
10-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I think Clayton shreds the Eagle secondary Friday night and the Cougars get an outright district title(no sharing this year!). GO COUGARS!!!

Mojomadness
10-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Well , We havent got to see Abilene yet just able to read all about them. Cooper definitely an exciteing offense (great passing game) . Defensively I think Eagles have the edge. Just because of the Preseason schedule , I know they came out on bottom in several but I believe they will prevail.

Abilene 41
Cooper 34

thestud
10-22-2011, 10:08 AM
I think Clayton shreds the Eagle secondary Friday night and the Cougars get an outright district title(no sharing this year!). GO COUGARS!!!

Just like you shredded San Angelo and Wichita Falls, because we know those are two powerhouse programs right? :rofl:

Mojomadness
10-22-2011, 10:18 AM

I dont think there will be any shredding maybe a couple of big plays but this will by far be the toughest game yet for Cooper.

Could Paxton do any shredding on the ground? How strong is Coopers Defense against the run?

What part of game do the Zebras play in Abilene? I can just about tell you how the calls go every game depending who and where we play. I know they are agreed upon by both teams prior to game ( I think Gaines just hasnt figured this part out yet in his game prep) lol

Its going to be interesting what kind of spoiler Mojo can be in the final week.

Coug78
10-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Cougars by 14.

Shoot2thrill
10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't recall the stats ever being this close coming into this game

Passing
Clayton Nicholas- 133/206-1892 19-td 9-int
Evin Abbe- 134/201-1837 17-td 4-int

Rushing
Matt Watson- 109-618
Kerry Sims- 30-353

Paxton Grayer- 123-943
Marcell Porter- 71-641

Abilene High offense averaging 44.5 ppg, Cooper D giving up an avg of 21.8

Cooper offense averaging 39.75 ppg, Abilene High D giving up 25.6 ppg.

Both teams have played a few powderpuffs, but no doubt the tougher preseason schedule was played by the Black and Gold. I expect Cooper to throw everything and anything at us because no matter what the cirumstances or records, this is the game that both sides will fight their hardest. The Eagles secondary played very well last night, but Nicholas is the all-time leading passer in Cougar history for a reason. Jake McMillon and Shaq Sims are going to have to get some pressure on the QB.

I hear what you are saying stud. Here is the problem with comparing stats. Let's say for a minute that the cream puffs for both are a push (that is being generous as both Lubbock and Coronado are winless unless Coronado won last night), there is no comparison with the other 3 non-district opponents. Those points, yards, etc, were put up by AHS against much better opponents. I think we are capable of taking this one by 10+ but I am not ready to pick that yet.

Their air attack is going to give us fits but their running game is nowhere near past year's. Our ground game is going to be too much for their D due to our ability to air it out.

Coug78
10-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I hear what you are saying stud. Here is the problem with comparing stats. Let's say for a minute that the cream puffs for both are a push (that is being generous as both Lubbock and Coronado are winless unless Coronado won last night), there is no comparison with the other 3 non-district opponents. Those points, yards, etc, were put up by AHS against much better opponents. I think we are capable of taking this one by 10+ but I am not ready to pick that yet.

Their air attack is going to give us fits but their running game is nowhere near past year's. Our ground game is going to be too much for their D due to our ability to air it out.

Cooper has an effective running game - you will see Friday night.

Shoot2thrill
10-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Effective but not intimidating by any stretch and you know it. Your running game last year was intimidating and opened up the field for Nicholas-not so this year.

tmcran
10-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Eagles had a number of penalties last night that came at some very bad times. However , Abilene was able to over come most of them. This game needs to be played clean and turn overs could be a big factor. MHS was able to complete several passes 8-10 yrds deep in the flats and there was little or no coverage within 5-10 yrds. The Bulldogs had no answer for the Eagle speed. The goal line stand was Great! I hope this game does not come down to a field goal for AHS. I was very happy to see the FG last night. I have giving up trying ti call this game . But looking forward to it.

Eagledad61
10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Crosstown showdown week is here in 3-5A. Looks like this one is for the outright title (although Mojo can still have a say). Who do you think will win? Both teams can light it up. AHS has had trouble with passing teams and Cooper's Nicholas is a gunslinger. AHS is more battle-tested thanks to the brutal non-district schedule but this rivalry has so much emotion riding on it that anything can happen. What do you think?

Very big difference in the Eagle Offense this year is we now have a dual threat. Last year very one dimensional. This year that is not the case and I say as I did at the beginning of the season I think our offense might be better than last year because of this.

In the statement above Coopers Clayton is mentioned as a Gunslinger. I completely agree, but Abilene has one too this year and probably time to mention him as well.

Another big factor is Abbe, Pax and Porter have put up these statistics against significantly better overall competition. Likewise defensively we have faced significantly better offenses than Cooper.

However, we like the underdog role! Get ready its gonna be a good one!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
10-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Eagles by 14. Last year was a fluke job.

Warbird87
10-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Should be an offensive show this week at Shotwell. I'm concerned about our secondary against Cooper passing attack. Secondary has struggled to cover receivers all year. Hopefully we can pressure Nicholas and get him flustered....that has been a problem for him in the past.

Warbird_Dad
10-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Abbe has thrown for a few less yards for the season against tougher opponents....I think Cooper should be concerned about the eagle air attack as well.....:rolleyes:

HarlingenCardinals
10-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Good luck Eagles, saw them play Harlingen and was impressed with their team. This is going to be a battle to say the least.

Shoot2thrill
10-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Abbe has thrown for a few less yards for the season against tougher opponents....I think Cooper should be concerned about the eagle air attack as well.....:rolleyes:

Very true.....and with only 4 interceptions to Clayton's 9.;)

mike03car
10-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Should be an offensive show this week at Shotwell. I'm concerned about our secondary against Cooper passing attack. Secondary has struggled to cover receivers all year. Hopefully we can pressure Nicholas and get him flustered....that has been a problem for him in the past.

Both kickoff teams will very likely be quite busy, much like when we played Harlingen.

thestud
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM

I was just posting some individual stats, don't read too much into it. Not getting into semantics with SOS, how many yards/points were given up by the starters on D, when the starters on Offense come out, etc.
Just cut and dried it's right there, Evin Abbe has been a more efficient passer than Nicholas and is right there with him in every other category.
Cooper has no defense, but they didn't have one last year either and mysteriously found it for one game last year. Of course it was against us and I would expect the same again this year.

odessapermian.com
10-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Cooper obviously doesn't have the running backs they had last year, but they have a good enough rushing attack to make you account for it. Defensively, they aren't big but they have good quickness and run well to the ball.

I think we messed up by not getting pressure on Nicholas, and probably should have tried running right at them early. If Abilene gets balance on offense and gets to the quarterback on defense, they'll win by a comfortable margin.

thestud
10-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Cooper obviously doesn't have the running backs they had last year, but they have a good enough rushing attack to make you account for it. Defensively, they aren't big but they have good quickness and run well to the ball.

I think we messed up by not getting pressure on Nicholas, and probably should have tried running right at them early. If Abilene gets balance on offense and gets to the quarterback on defense, they'll win by a comfortable margin.

The problem is we are incredibly balanced on offense, but we can't get consistent pressure on the qb to save our lives. we're going to need a big game out of Taz and McMillon.

PeterGibbons
10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I think this game comes down to O-line play, AHS's line has been solid and getting better all year. Cooper's line scares me. Nicholas' numbers would be off the chart if the O-line would give him any time. There's not nearly as much of a threat at RB.

Pax is making Abbe look better since he and Porter are homerun threats every time they touch the ball. I'm just not sold as him being a great QB, but his line is much better than Cooper's.

I think the AHS defense takes advantage of Cooper's O-line issues. It is good to see Cooper not playing Aggie ball and finally playing a little in the second half!

mike03car
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Repeating myself: this is exactly what the Denton Guyer defense did so well in third round of the playoffs last year. Even this year when I saw San Angelo Central at Abilene Cooper, the Bobcats had defensive success when they brought the heat.

dtek12
10-24-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm not in here to make a prediction, but my family and I lived in Abilene for about 10 years, I think the last year we were there was when Cooper had Chris Hall QB and I believe he was a soph. and Antoin Livingston was a senior. Anyways my point being in our time there these two teams have produced some amazing high school football games (I'd call it the best rivalry in high school football in Texas and I've seen some games across the state). I wish I was there this weekend, I hate that they moved the game away from the last week in the season (that started when Cooper went 4 A I think). Anyways should be a great one, I hope everyone enjoys it and the serious smack that will happen from about Wednesday on. Cheers.

Shoot2thrill
10-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm not in here to make a prediction, but my family and I lived in Abilene for about 10 years, I think the last year we were there was when Cooper had Chris Hall QB and I believe he was a soph. and Antoin Livingston was a senior. Anyways my point being in our time there these two teams have produced some amazing high school football games (I'd call it the best rivalry in high school football in Texas and I've seen some games across the state). I wish I was there this weekend, I hate that they moved the game away from the last week in the season (that started when Cooper went 4 A I think). Anyways should be a great one, I hope everyone enjoys it and the serious smack that will happen from about Wednesday on. Cheers.

We keep trying to tell the rest of the state this. :) Nothing like a crosstown rivalry to begin with and then you add in the district championship to the mix and it becomes...........magical. :cool:

Eagle81
10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Cougars by 14.

Come on Coug. Even you know better than that.

AllenEagle21
10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Just have to chime in on this one. Abilene has great speed, Cooper can look at the film all day but it's different on the field. I saw Abilene play against Trinity and I was impressed with their speed and their conditioning. Trinity was a beast but Abilene would just not go away. I see Abilene winning this game by atleast 10 or more.

Warbird_Dad
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Just have to chime in on this one. Abilene has great speed, Cooper can look at the film all day but it's different on the field. I saw Abilene play against Trinity and I was impressed with their speed and their conditioning. Trinity was a beast but Abilene would just not go away. I see Abilene winning this game by atleast 10 or more.

We hope you're right AllenEagle..!!! :notworthy I'd like to say that our non-district scheduling has helped tremendously in preparation for District, (which it has) but we had similar scheduling last year and lost by 17 to Cooper. Just no way to predict a cross town rivalry game despite the strengths/weaknesses of the teams. That's why you play 'em..!!

I'm looking forward to a shootout this year with a win by the team that has the ball last.

War Eagle
10-24-2011, 01:41 PM
This will be a close hard fought game by both teams.

This will be the first chilly game either has played but it looks like over all the weather is going to be perfect for football on Friday, it is a good thing this isn't being played on Thursday.

AllenEagle21
10-24-2011, 02:28 PM
We hope you're right AllenEagle..!!! :notworthy I'd like to say that our non-district scheduling has helped tremendously in preparation for District, (which it has) but we had similar scheduling last year and lost by 17 to Cooper. Just no way to predict a cross town rivalry game despite the strengths/weaknesses of the teams. That's why you play 'em..!!

I'm looking forward to a shootout this year with a win by the team that has the ball last.
I was looking at some video on the Cooper QB, has a really good arm but I also noticed that he didn't do very well when under pressure. He is all about timing. If his line blocks well for him he can eat up a secondary but if your corners can bump his receivers off the line and your backers can get to him it will throw his timing off. Of course easier said than done. Cooper will have fits with Abilene's running game. May not be a bad idea to do some no huddle for a quarter or so.

cougardude
10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't sit around and go over every single stat from teams before a game, but I think the Cougars have the ability to win this game. No one gave them a chance to beat Abilene High last year and they did so they can just prove the naysayers wrong again! Should be another great cross-town showdown for the District 3-5A and most likely championship!

GO COUGARS!!!

Shoot2thrill
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't sit around and go over every single stat from teams before a game, but I think the Cougars have the ability to win this game. No one gave them a chance to beat Abilene High last year and they did so they can just prove the naysayers wrong again! Should be another great cross-town showdown for the District 3-5A and most likely championship!

GO COUGARS!!!

Hard to disagree with any of your post. Well said. Even if you are a Coog. Just kidding about that last part. Everything else I concur with. :notworthy

youtellatale
10-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I say it will be a double digit win...for someone. I have no idea who will win it but like last year, someone will pull away and show up on both sides of the ball while the other team will not, at least not for the entire game.

The key for me seems to be playing a complete game, not just an impressive half or 3 quarters. Whoever finished the game strong and plays a solid game all the way through will pull this one out by 14-20 IMO.

I know that won't be a popular opinion but just my 2 cents.

Warbird_Dad
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM

I think Stud gave us a season stat comparison earlier but here are district averages only. You can't get any more apples to apples with 2 common opponents out of 3 (OHS & Lee):

AHS CHS
Points Per Game 47.3 40.3
Total Offense 538 413
Rushing Offense 264 150
Passing Offense 274 264
Scoring Defense 22.7 21.0
Total Defense 360 317
Rushing Defense 214 198
Passing Defense 146 119

As far as district games of the year...it doesn't get any better

thestud
10-24-2011, 07:36 PM

GO COUGARS!!!

Don't take this personal, but there's a reason nobody gave you guys a chance last year. Abilene High had the offensive firepower and Cooper's defense had more holes than the Iraqi navy. The defensive performance the Cougars put on in that game was a complete 180 from the previous games, and then they quickly reverted to their normal performance against MHS and then against Guyer. In the Coogs defense (no pun intended), Guyer was a buzzsaw in '10

Coug78
10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Come on Coug. Even you know better than that.

I stick by my pick. I'm one of the 2 votes that have Cooper in a double digit win.

I think you've been away from Abilene too long. ;)

tmcran
10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Does Cooper fill their side? It seems the fans have been lacking some this year. The Eagle fan need to make some noise. It seemed the Eagle fans were a little more into it last week.

Coug78
10-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Does Cooper fill their side? It seems the fans have been lacking some this year. The Eagle fan need to make some noise. It seemed the Eagle fans were a little more into it last week.

I have been to two Cooper home games so far - not full but pretty decent crowds.

Since they reworked the boundaries, it seems there have been more AHS than CHS fans at the Showdown at Shotwell. However tonite the line for CHS tickets at Shotwell was a pretty long one.

tmcran
10-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I have been to two Cooper home games so far - not full but pretty decent crowds.

Since they reworked the boundaries, it seems there have been more AHS than CHS fans at the Showdown at Shotwell. However tonite the line for CHS tickets at Shotwell was a pretty long one.

Ah, good reason to have season tickets. More fans the better.

Coug78
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Ah, good reason to have season tickets. More fans the better.

I missed the cutoff by a few days for season tickets. Even though the season hadn't started yet, the AISD would not sell me the tickets. They need the money - I have the money and they say no thanks. Makes a lot of sense.

tmcran
10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I missed the cutoff by a few days for season tickets. Even though the season hadn't started yet, the AISD would not sell me the tickets. They need th:e money - I have the money and they say no thanks. Makes a lot of sense.

Come now, you don't really expect AISD to use good sense. :D

warbirds141
10-25-2011, 02:25 AM

To my knowledge Abilene high has always had more fans even before the boundary changes

Favpack
10-25-2011, 07:51 AM
We would have won in '77 were it not for that freaky snow storm. Just sayin'.

AHS - 38
Cooper - 34

PermianPanther
10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I expect a close game. Due to the fact Abilene has not shown the ability to win a tight game, I will take Cooper.

Eagledad61
10-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I expect a close game. Due to the fact Abilene has not shown the ability to win a tight game, I will take Cooper.

Not sure that is a logical basis for your pick? Let's see Harlingen and Longview are the tight games you speak of? Pretty sure we play Cooper's Schedule and you are looking at an undefeated AHS team right now. I'll take our tight losses over blowouts to terrible teams. You learn more in those games about your team. I am not convinced this will be a close game at this point.

mike03car
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Not sure that is a logical basis for your pick? Let's see Harlingen and Longview are the tight games you speak of? Pretty sure we play Cooper's Schedule and you are looking at an undefeated AHS team right now. I'll take our tight losses over blowouts to terrible teams. You learn more in those games about your team. I am not convinced this will be a close game at this point.

Eagles are definitely MUCH more battle tested against some of the bigger, faster, and well-coached teams in the state; Euless Trinity, Harlingen, and Longview. Cougar's toughest opponent in the pre-district schedule was Austin Westlake; and we know that score. AHS-CHS should be high octane offense with loads of scoring by both teams. This game will NOT be decided by a ball bounce.

odessapermian.com
10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm pulling for an Abilene win, along with a MOJO win over OHS, setting up a possible district title showdown at Ratliff next week. :yes::D:Censor:

mike03car
10-25-2011, 02:44 PM
We would have won in '77 were it not for that freaky snow storm. Just sayin'.

AHS - 38
Cooper - 34

I was 12 in South Carolina.

Shoot2thrill
10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I was 12 in South Carolina.

How old would that have made you in Texas? :D

Shoot2thrill
10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm pulling for an Abilene win, along with a MOJO win over OHS, setting up a possible district title showdown at Ratliff next week. :yes::D:Censor:

Same refs that were there in 2007??:D

And you know what I mean. ;)

mike03car
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
How old would that have made you in Texas? :D
cyoot

odessapermian.com
10-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Well, according to the goober that runs the LeeRebs.com site-

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/ca9350aa51b326713aa5fdb1c404624e48f11ea.jpg

It's in the bag. :rofl:

PermianPanther
10-25-2011, 10:36 PM

You lost to a team from the Valley, clean those rose colored glasses. Very doubtful AHS would beat Westlake either.

I have said in other posts I believe AHS is battle tested but you have to win a close game to truly learn from it. If you win in a blowout, I will pick you against PHS.:D

PermianPanther
10-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Hey Sherlock, we played in Abilene.:D
Guess you and Lee Rebs are connected.:Censor:

mike03car
10-26-2011, 01:17 AM
You lost to a team from the Valley, clean those rose colored glasses. Very doubtful AHS would beat Westlake either.

I have said in other posts I believe AHS is battle tested but you have to win a close game to truly learn from it. If you win in a blowout, I will pick you against PHS.:D

LOL! That's exactly the kind of no respect Harlingen fans were talking about and exactly why this mid-September matchup was as huge as the Super Bowl for them and the entire Valley. At least the Cardinals get 3 rounds deep consistently. Can that be said about any LSWC school the past decade other than the Eagles? Concerning Abilene vs Westlake, well that's your own headstrong opinion.

Why did Permian barely beat Lee by one point yet Abilene (despite giving them 17 extra points) bounced them by 15 and Cooper (despite giving them 7 extra points) by 10?

Shoot2thrill
10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Hey Sherlock, we played in Abilene.:D
Guess you and Lee Rebs are connected.:Censor:

May have gotten the year wrong. Most knowledgeable Mojo posters know which game I am talking about. Guess your not one of them hoss. :rolleyes:

Warbird_Dad
10-26-2011, 08:53 AM
May have gotten the year wrong. Most knowledgeable Mojo posters know which game I am talking about. Guess your not one of them hoss. :rolleyes:

Hey, that's Mr. West Texas Football Knowledge that you're talking about....:rolleyes:

PermianPanther
10-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Why did Permian barely beat Lee by one point yet Abilene (despite giving them 17 extra points) bounced them by 15 and Cooper (despite giving them 7 extra points) by 10?

Because we are not as good as Cooper or Abilene right now.

PermianPanther
10-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Might not be as knowledgeable as you AHS guys but at least I know who we played and where we played before I post it, especially if the point I'm trying to make is about home town refs.

mike03car
10-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Because we are not as good as Cooper or Abilene right now.

Yet we still have to "blowout" Cooper to get your pick over Permian. Therefore, I presume that's a pick of the heart.

PermianPanther
10-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Yet we still have to "blowout" Cooper to get your pick over Permian. Therefore, I presume that's a pick of the heart.

I would never pick any other way in a Permian game. :)

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Keep on believing the fact they are from the Valley makes them a bad team. I have watched about 14 years of the AHS football and that team from the "valley" is very good! I would venture to say if Permian or Cooper played them it would be 3 score game easily. That team will be 4 deep in the playoffs in my opinion.

Guess we will see Friday, I believe actually seeing the team play is more acurate that taking where they are from and ASSuming they are a bad team.

Good luck Friday I hope next week is for the District! Oh wait you guys already lost to Cooper! LOL!

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Well, if we blow out Cooper(which I don't ever expect in the crosstown) then I would not bother showing up next week based upon your logic flow cause that game will get ugly!

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 10:44 AM

The sad thing is I respect everything MOJO was! I played Mojo was the first Abilene team not to lose to Mojo in 1985 7-7 tie. Those teams were great and the tradition was great.

MOJO - LEE matchups were amazing!

But hey guys you are 1 year removed from an 0-5 campaign in the District. It has been a long time since MOJO was actually MOJO.

MOJO history is getting older and less attached to the current teams. Whether you like it or not Abilene and Cooper have taken over the MOJO - LEE reputation. That is current events not 20 year old history.

PermianPanther
10-26-2011, 11:05 AM
The sad thing is I respect everything MOJO was! I played Mojo was the first Abilene team not to lose to Mojo in 1985 7-7 tie. Those teams were great and the tradition was great.

MOJO - LEE matchups were amazing!

But hey guys you are 1 year removed from an 0-5 campaign in the District. It has been a long time since MOJO was actually MOJO.

MOJO history is getting older and less attached to the current teams. Whether you like it or not Abilene and Cooper have taken over the MOJO - LEE reputation. That is current events not 20 year old history.

You are correct that much of the greatness from years past has been lost but you have to start somewhere building it back. Allman had us headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, that train was derailed. It our our hope this team will get us back to respectability and we build from there. I think it was said best in our booster book this year, respect the past but make your own mark on the program. In reality we are not to far removed from success (the last outright district champ in the LSWC is Permian in case some have forgotten) and there is much hope for the future with some stability in our coaching staff and some strong classes in the system. Are we as good as Cooper, no. Are we as good as Abilene, probably not. Are we better than last year, most definetly. Will we better next year, I believe so.

I still think Cooper will win a close game which is what this thread was supposed to be about by the way.

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 11:30 AM
You are correct that much of the greatness from years past has been lost but you have to start somewhere building it back. Allman had us headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, that train was derailed. It our our hope this team will get us back to respectability and we build from there. I think it was said best in our booster book this year, respect the past but make your own mark on the program. In reality we are not to far removed from success (the last outright district champ in the LSWC is Permian in case some have forgotten) and there is much hope for the future with some stability in our coaching staff and some strong classes in the system. Are we as good as Cooper, no. Are we as good as Abilene, probably not. Are we better than last year, most definetly. Will we better next year, I believe so.

I still think Cooper will win a close game which is what this thread was supposed to be about by the way.

Agree with your Permian analysis here. Now on to the crosstown.......so what is your basis for picking Cooper?

Here is mine for Abilene:
1. Statistically very close - Edge Abilene due to Opponents statistics were against
2. QB - Edge Cooper but all are overlooking Abbe and this just might be the game the District realizes Abilene has a gunslinger too this year. He is getting less respect than he deserves at this point. Coopers secondary has not been tested this year like Abilene High's. I think they just might get exploited as well
3. WR - Edge Abilene - They have size and speed and there is not just one good one. Abbe hit 9 different receivers the other night and that is typical of him this year. There is no favorite therefore there are not district stats leaders. He spreads the ball around and who are you gonna cover pick your poison. Clayton tends to favorite 1 or 2 main guys.
4. OL - Edge Abilene - although undersized this line has proven to be one, if not the best in the District. And against opponents they don't match up well with size wise. Cooper will probably be the first game that we are not outsized this year. I will say this I cannot fathom why Midland and Midland Lee are not more successful on offense with they lines they are working with?
5. RB - Big edge Abilene - Clearly better than Cooper. Cooper has a respectable running attack but clearly not a running attack that scares you.
6. DL - Edge Abilene - Other than Railsback just not that much of a threat.
7. LB - Draw - but only because I am not real familar with the Cooper LB crew this year and do not want to make a judgement without the knowledge. Abilene's is pretty good.
8. DB - draw - Abilene has some weaknesses here but will Clayton have time to exploit it? That is the question. I believe it is good enough to limit the pass but not good enough to stop it all together. But who knows, last year Cooper could not stop a wall of cotton till the crosstown game and did stop Abilene last year.
9. Special Teams - Clear edge for Abilene. Other than the two onside kicks by lee this group has been stellar. Blocking kicks, scoring and putting Abilene in good field position all year.

Experience - although 19 underclassmen are in starting type roles this year I have to give experience to Abilene with the predistrict schedule played. You can say they can't win a close game but Harlingen is just good period and we should have won that one in my opinion and Longview is very good and definitely we win that game next time we see them. I give the edge to Abilene due to playing in more big games against good competition.

All of the above is great but matters for nothing come Friday night............Throw out the records cause it will be a war! My pick.............................. AHS 49 Cooper 42

Shoot2thrill
10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Might not be as knowledgeable as you AHS guys but at least I know who we played and where we played before I post it, especially if the point I'm trying to make is about home town refs.

Perhaps you don't make many home games at Ratliff. I was quite sure about the location and circumstances - just may have erred in the year. The Odessa refs were not being dissed by us Eagles- it was the Mojo faithful! :cool:

AHSeagles
10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
This will be the first Abilene High Cooper game I've missed since I was 4:(. I'll be there in spirit, and the rest of my family will be there supporting the War Birds.

mike03car
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm more of a realist, however. Search my posts and you'll see I predicted the victories over Abilene this year by Trinity and Longview. I didn't think the Trinity game would be close but hoped we could make it a good contest, and I figured the Loboes would win a tight one. I predicted a close victory of Harlingen even though many figured an Abilene blowout. That was one of the more exciting games I have witnessed in the past three years that I've been back in Texas - second to the '09 championship.

trojanbacker
10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Good luck to Abilene.

#9EagleMom
10-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Abilene, Abilene, Abilene! Did I say Abilene? I know Varsity lost last year to them but JV CREAMED the Coogs so I still say Abilene! Although some of the team dynamics are a little different we have most of the same players from that JV game. It is going to be an exciting game as it always is.

We need to be loud and cheer on the guys a BUNCH on Friday, it's going to be weird for them having fans on the opposite side... on their home field. Let's keep reminding them WE ARE THERE FOR THEM and WE ARE ONE!

Tailgating prior to the game if anyone is interested...south parking lot since we are visitors this year. Bring a dish or two and chairs everyone is bringing stuff so it will be a buffet!

mike03car
10-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Abilene, Abilene, Abilene! Did I say Abilene? I know Varsity lost last year to them but JV CREAMED the Coogs so I still say Abilene! Although some of the team dynamics are a little different we have most of the same players from that JV game. It is going to be an exciting game as it always is.

We need to be loud and cheer on the guys a BUNCH on Friday, it's going to be weird for them having fans on the opposite side... on their home field. Let's keep reminding them WE ARE THERE FOR THEM and WE ARE ONE!

Tailgating prior to the game if anyone is interested...south parking lot since we are visitors this year. Bring a dish or two and chairs everyone is bringing stuff so it will be a buffet!

How early? I gotta know when to leave San Angelo :cool:

Coug78
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Agree with your Permian analysis here. Now on to the crosstown.......so what is your basis for picking Cooper?

Here is mine for Abilene:
1. Statistically very close - Edge Abilene due to Opponents statistics were against
2. QB - Edge Cooper but all are overlooking Abbe and this just might be the game the District realizes Abilene has a gunslinger too this year. He is getting less respect than he deserves at this point. Coopers secondary has not been tested this year like Abilene High's. I think they just might get exploited as well
3. WR - Edge Abilene - They have size and speed and there is not just one good one. Abbe hit 9 different receivers the other night and that is typical of him this year. There is no favorite therefore there are not district stats leaders. He spreads the ball around and who are you gonna cover pick your poison. Clayton tends to favorite 1 or 2 main guys.
4. OL - Edge Abilene - although undersized this line has proven to be one, if not the best in the District. And against opponents they don't match up well with size wise. Cooper will probably be the first game that we are not outsized this year. I will say this I cannot fathom why Midland and Midland Lee are not more successful on offense with they lines they are working with?
5. RB - Big edge Abilene - Clearly better than Cooper. Cooper has a respectable running attack but clearly not a running attack that scares you.
6. DL - Edge Abilene - Other than Railsback just not that much of a threat.
7. LB - Draw - but only because I am not real familar with the Cooper LB crew this year and do not want to make a judgement without the knowledge. Abilene's is pretty good.
8. DB - draw - Abilene has some weaknesses here but will Clayton have time to exploit it? That is the question. I believe it is good enough to limit the pass but not good enough to stop it all together. But who knows, last year Cooper could not stop a wall of cotton till the crosstown game and did stop Abilene last year.
9. Special Teams - Clear edge for Abilene. Other than the two onside kicks by lee this group has been stellar. Blocking kicks, scoring and putting Abilene in good field position all year.

Experience - although 19 underclassmen are in starting type roles this year I have to give experience to Abilene with the predistrict schedule played. You can say they can't win a close game but Harlingen is just good period and we should have won that one in my opinion and Longview is very good and definitely we win that game next time we see them. I give the edge to Abilene due to playing in more big games against good competition.

All of the above is great but matters for nothing come Friday night............Throw out the records cause it will be a war! My pick.............................. AHS 49 Cooper 42

Nicholas has thrown to 11 different receivers with 7 with at least 100 yards.

tmcran
10-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Sure hope AHS is not over looking Cooper and thinking about meeting OP the next week.

Warbird_Dad
10-26-2011, 05:29 PM

EagleDad61 was referring to 9 different players catching a pass in a single game...

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Stats:

Abbe thrown to 9 different receivers and has thrown TD passes to 8 of those

Nicholas thrown to 10 different receivers and has thrown TD passes to 4 of those

These stats are so close it is ridiculous and actually proves my point on Abbe. Time for the kid to get recognition that Cooper is facing the equivalent of Nicholas on Friday. Perhaps Cooper should be concerned in that area?

But I will say this Nicholas has spread the ball out more than I realized other than the TD passes.

In the top 25 for the district at WR we have the following ranked receivers in the District.

Abilene - 2,5,11,12,25 82.09% of the completions with these guys

Cooper - 4,6,9,10,20 87.97% of completions to these 5 guys

Nicholas 133/206 65% 1892yds 19TD 9int
Abbe 134/201 67% 1837yds 17TD 4int

These two kids are neck and neck in just about every category!

2-days and the stats mean nothing but really interesting to dig into them to see how close they are.

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 05:40 PM
EagleDad61 was referring to 9 different players catching a pass in a single game...

True but I have to admit Nicholas has spread the ball out more than I thought on the season as a whole.

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Sure hope AHS is not over looking Cooper and thinking about meeting OP the next week.

Tmcran our eternal pessimist! Explain to me where you got that impression?

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 05:51 PM
The difference in the TEAMS may be the running game let me see here are the statistics there:

District Rankings of top two backs:
Abilene - 4 and 7

Cooper - 8 and 10

And Abilene's rushing yards have come against far greater opponents to date.

For Abilene:

Grayer - 123 for 943 14TD's
Porter - 71 for 641 9TD's

For Cooper
Watson 109 for 618 9TD's
Sims 30 for 353 3 TD's

Definite advantage in the running game for Abilene! I think the big difference in Abilene this year compared to last is the balance. Let's face it the last two years we were not a throwing team and were very one dimensional for the most part. Cooper could gang up on the run last year because they did not fear the passing game much. That game plan this year probably will not work. A large portion of the game last year 8 guys were committed to the run. Great game plan for Moebes! It worked. I think offensively we are better with the diversity.

tmcran
10-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Tmcran our eternal pessimist! Explain to me where you got that impression?

Now , now Eagle Dad 61. I was not expecting an Eagle fan to take the hook ! Sorta thought it would be a CHS or OP fan. Hope it didn't hurt to much. :cool:

Eagledad61
10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Now , now Eagle Dad 61. I was not expecting an Eagle fan to take the hook ! Sorta thought it would be a CHS or OP fan. Hope it didn't hurt to much. :cool:

I am a big boy, I like to eat! Quit using that bait! Seriously, Tmcran you are regularly the Abilene is gonna get beat, looking past or is not playing well guy! What's up with that!

This team is pretty decent in my opinion and I think they are coming to play. Not to mention get the chip off the shoulder from last year!

tmcran
10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I am a big boy, I like to eat! Quit using that bait! Seriously, Tmcran you are regularly the Abilene is gonna get beat, looking past or is not playing well guy! What's up with that!

This team is pretty decent in my opinion and I think they are coming to play. Not to mention get the chip off the shoulder from last year!

LOL, just trying to lighten up a little. I didn't realize I was always saying the Eagles were gonna get beat. If ya can quote me let me know. My concern has basically been with pass coverage and the kicking game. Hope I'm wrong on both areas.

thestud
10-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Let's face it the last two years we were not a throwing team and were very one dimensional for the most part. Cooper could gang up on the run last year because they did not fear the passing game much. That game plan this year probably will not work. A large portion of the game last year 8 guys were committed to the run. Great game plan for Moebes! It worked. I think offensively we are better with the diversity.

Let's not slight Ronnell in the throwing game, the kid could sling it with accuracy when given time. His biggest problem was last year he didn't have much time, I would reckon the majority of his pass attempts were from outside of the pocket.

I do agree though, the difference this year will be the ability of Abbe to actually drop back and make his reads. This is a big game for the Eagles and our young QB, I hope he continues to show the poise and maturity this friday that he has shown the last few weeks.

Eagledad61
10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
LOL, just trying to lighten up a little. I didn't realize I was always saying the Eagles were gonna get beat. If ya can quote me let me know. My concern has basically been with pass coverage and the kicking game. Hope I'm wrong on both areas.

I don't have time to go research the posts but, during most weeks there is a post of similar to "I hope the Eagles don't...................." or something that is negative every week. I have your concern on the DB's too. But I firmly believe the problem with the DB's is not the athletes on the field but the coverage schemes. We do not press cover the receivers at all and they get free runs in a zone. We need to mix a little more man coverage and press in there from time to time.

Overall, I think we are fine but we will see Tomorrow.

Eagledad61
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Let's not slight Ronnell in the throwing game, the kid could sling it with accuracy when given time. His biggest problem was last year he didn't have much time, I would reckon the majority of his pass attempts were from outside of the pocket.

I do agree though, the difference this year will be the ability of Abbe to actually drop back and make his reads. This is a big game for the Eagles and our young QB, I hope he continues to show the poise and maturity this friday that he has shown the last few weeks.

Not my intention to slight Ronnell at all he is a good kid and great athlete. The fact is defenses were scared of Ronnell running the ball not Ronnell passing the ball. He was not a passing QB. He was effective on the role out but the offense was designed that he had the option to run on those role outs. Many of his great runs came off of that option to run the ball on the pass play.

Here is my point.......in the State Championship year his stats were as follows:
These stats were in 15 games.
121 out of 189
Yards 1,752
TD's 17
9 Int

Average yds per game 116.8

Last year 13 Games

133 out 202
1,906 yds
19 TD's
4 Int

Average yds per game 146.62

Again we are pretty much there in 7 games this year compared to last and over those stats from the State Championship year. My point being Ronnell was not a throwing QB and that is not what teams feared. This year the pass may be feared just as much as the run.

PermianPanther
10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Here is mine for Abilene: I will try to explain my basis based upon your format. To note, I have only see AHS in person vs Harlingen and on film vs Lee and I have seen Cooper in person vs PHS and on film vs OHS.
1. Statistically very close - Edge Abilene due to Opponents statistics were against Agree
2. QB - Edge Cooper but all are overlooking Abbe and this just might be the game the District realizes Abilene has a gunslinger too this year. He is getting less respect than he deserves at this point. Coopers secondary has not been tested this year like Abilene High's. I think they just might get exploited as well I think Cooper has the advantage here. Nick when given time will be very successful against AHS I think. I have not really seen AHS put much pressure on the QB but I'm sure they are capable. Abbe is good but not as good as Nick.
3. WR - Edge Abilene - They have size and speed and there is not just one good one. Abbe hit 9 different receivers the other night and that is typical of him this year. There is no favorite therefore there are not district stats leaders. He spreads the ball around and who are you gonna cover pick your poison. Clayton tends to favorite 1 or 2 main guys. Draw I will say it looks to me Cooper has found their groove in the passing game. I think it took a couple of games before the QB and WR truly trusted each other. AHS has more depth and Pax is heads and tails better especially in the passing game.
4. OL - Edge Abilene - although undersized this line has proven to be one, if not the best in the District. And against opponents they don't match up well with size wise. Cooper will probably be the first game that we are not outsized this year. I will say this I cannot fathom why Midland and Midland Lee are not more successful on offense with they lines they are working with? Agree
5. RB - Big edge Abilene - Clearly better than Cooper. Cooper has a respectable running attack but clearly not a running attack that scares you. Very big edge. I think your guy is the best in the district especially what he does out of the backfield in the passing game
6. DL - Edge Abilene - Other than Railsback just not that much of a threat. I have been more impressed with Cooper the games I have seen but what I have heard and read about AHS, I will give you a draw.
7. LB - Draw - but only because I am not real familar with the Cooper LB crew this year and do not want to make a judgement without the knowledge. Abilene's is pretty good. I give AHS the edge here.
8. DB - draw - Abilene has some weaknesses here but will Clayton have time to exploit it? That is the question. I believe it is good enough to limit the pass but not good enough to stop it all together. But who knows, last year Cooper could not stop a wall of cotton till the crosstown game and did stop Abilene last year. I have to give a big edge to Cooper here. I was very impressed with their secondary play against PHS. While we had some success throwing, they totally shut down our best receiver. AHS has been totally picked apart from what I have seen. For Lee to have success through the air against AHS, it doesn't look good with Nick back there.
9. Special Teams - Clear edge for Abilene. Other than the two onside kicks by lee this group has been stellar. Blocking kicks, scoring and putting Abilene in good field position all year. I give AHS a slight edge.The only area Cooper is better is probably their kicker but that might be the most important component in a close game.

Experience - although 19 underclassmen are in starting type roles this year I have to give experience to Abilene with the predistrict schedule played. You can say they can't win a close game but Harlingen is just good period and we should have won that one in my opinion and Longview is very good and definitely we win that game next time we see them. I give the edge to Abilene due to playing in more big games against good competition. I don't know if this really matters since the kids know each other so well in a rivalry game. Cooper's QB has played in this game before so that might give them a slight advantage.

All of the above is great but matters for nothing come Friday night............Throw out the records cause it will be a war! My pick.............................. AHS 49 Cooper 42 I will take the same score but Cooper wins.

Good luck Friday night.

thestud
10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Good luck Friday night.

You give Cooper a "Big Edge" in the DB department because of what they did against Permian. Not to knock your qb's, but neither one is on the level of Evin Abbe. They are completing 53% and 54% respectively, whereas Abbe is completing 66% of his passes for more yards, touchdowns, and the same amount of int's. There's really no way to say it nicely, but a 53.5% completion rate is going to make alot of secondary's look better than they may be.

#9EagleMom
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM
How early? I gotta know when to leave San Angelo :cool:

4:30ish. GO EAGLES!!!!!!

PermianPanther
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
You give Cooper a "Big Edge" in the DB department because of what they did against Permian. Not to knock your qb's, but neither one is on the level of Evin Abbe. They are completing 53% and 54% respectively, whereas Abbe is completing 66% of his passes for more yards, touchdowns, and the same amount of int's. There's really no way to say it nicely, but a 53.5% completion rate is going to make alot of secondary's look better than they may be.

Ok, I will base it upon Lee then. AHS Gave up 190 yards at 54% completion rate. Cooper gave up 131 yards on 31% completion rate. AHS let the worst QB in the district complete over 50% of his passes. I'm thinking the best QB in the district will fare pretty well against your secondary. Not to knock your secondary but their level of play hasn't been that great.

mike03car
10-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Good luck Friday night.

So even by your analysis, looking at 1-9:

3 draws
1 edge to Cooper
1 big edge to Cooper
3 edge to Abilene
1 big edge to Abilene

I'm not debating your opinion, just when I look at your own analysis I don't see how that all favors Cooper.

mike03car
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok, I will base it upon Lee then. AHS Gave up 190 yards at 54% completion rate. Cooper gave up 131 yards on 31% completion rate. AHS let the worst QB in the district complete over 50% of his passes. I'm thinking the best QB in the district will fare pretty well against your secondary. Not to knock your secondary but their level of play hasn't been that great.

Lee had the ball for almost the entire 3rd quarter due to their special teams play and our offense scored a TD on one play. Lots of numbers for the Lee offense got skewed towards them due to this. Percentile likely wouldn't have changed, but yards definitely so.

I'm kinda suprised Midland didn't do as many unexpected actions against us; Lee played with more maple moxy vs AHS and PHS.

mike03car
10-27-2011, 12:25 PM
4:30ish. GO EAGLES!!!!!! I'll have something that I've cooked in advance and is ok warm but better if re-heating's available.

tmcran
10-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't have time to go research the posts but, during most weeks there is a post of similar to "I hope the Eagles don't...................." or something that is negative every week. I have your concern on the DB's too. But I firmly believe the problem with the DB's is not the athletes on the field but the coverage schemes. We do not press cover the receivers at all and they get free runs in a zone. We need to mix a little more man coverage and press in there from time to time.

Overall, I think we are fine but we will see Tomorrow.

Well we agree on the concerns about coverage schemes and most assured pressing the receivers. And like all of us I hope we see great secondary play as well as some good pressure on the QB. As far as me being neg. I have also been positive re the line play,QB,running game and etc. guess you missed thoes. But be assured my opinions are just that.

#9EagleMom
10-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I'll have something that I've cooked in advance and is ok warm but better if re-heating's available.

Bringing one of those plug converters you plug into lighter that is like a power strip..., you can use that if you need to. Look for the White Navigator.

Coug78
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I'll have something that I've cooked in advance and is ok warm but better if re-heating's available.

Crow?

tmcran
10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Crow?

Now that is a good one. But we shall see. Cougs D maybe a little tired chasing Eagles running backs by the 4th QT.

mike03car
10-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Crow?

But of course! Gotta have something ready to serve the Cougar and Panther fans :D

tmcran
10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
But of course! Gotta have something ready to serve the Cougar and Panther fans :D

Hey,that's a good one also. Perhaps there could a crow cook-off?

Eagle81
10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey,that's a good one also. Perhaps there could a crow cook-off?

I've heard a lot about both offenses. My one concern for the Eagles is have addressed the coverage problems? If they haven't, it could be a long night for the Eagles. If they have, the Coogs are gonna get tired by the end of the night. In my opinion, the defense that gets the first stop wins this game. Percentages say that would be Abilene High, given the two teams strengths (AHS running vs CHS passing). The reason I believe this is that there are more successful running plays than passing plays.

AHS 42, Cooper 30

mike03car
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I've heard a lot about both offenses. My one concern for the Eagles is have addressed the coverage problems? If they haven't, it could be a long night for the Eagles. If they have, the Coogs are gonna get tired by the end of the night. In my opinion, the defense that gets the first stop wins this game. Percentages say that would be Abilene High, given the two teams strengths (AHS running vs CHS passing). The reason I believe this is that there are more successful running plays than passing plays.

AHS 42, Cooper 30

The coverage schemes were better mixed last week and it showed. It'll be tonight's key matchups and biggest concerns.

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM

AHS 42, Cooper 30

It's been said before but if Fullen rushes 3 and drops everyone else into coverage then it will be a long night. If he puts pressure on Nicholas with 4 - 5 rushing then he will have to force some throws and become more uncomfortable in the pocket. My vote would be to blitz a LB every single down....

mike03car
10-28-2011, 10:28 AM
It's been said before but if Fullen rushes 3 and drops everyone else into coverage then it will be a long night. If he puts pressure on Nicholas with 4 - 5 rushing then he will have to force some throws and become more uncomfortable in the pocket. My vote would be to blitz a LB every single down....

Right. I should have included that in my coverage statement. If Clay is not under pressure, he will pinpoint even a blanketed receiver.

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Write-up in todays Reporter News:

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/oct/28/abilene-high-cooper-meet-up-once-again-with-3-5a/?partner=RSS

BeatNavy
10-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Coogs by 14. Bring it.

mike03car
10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Coogs by 14. Bring it.

Tremendous veteran analysis :rolleyes:

Shoot2thrill
10-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Tremendous veteran analysis :rolleyes:

Not much fun this week on the forum as there are few Cougar fans here. The few that do post give us no real reasoning behind their pick other than their homerism. I look for next week's game against Mojo to draw quite a bit of banter between all of us as there is quite a few Mojo posters. But that is next week......gotta take care of this week. ;)

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Not much fun this week on the forum as there are few Cougar fans here. The few that do post give us no real reasoning behind their pick other than their homerism. I look for next week's game against Mojo to draw quite a bit of banter between all of us as there is quite a few Mojo posters. But that is next week......gotta take care of this week. ;)

I don't know Shoot...I can't even get anyone to make predictions in all of the crosstown rival games on the 3-5A thread...where is everyone..??

DragonFan0316
10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Last years game was a high scoring event. Do y'all expect the same tonight?

mike03car
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Moreover so. Both AFJROTC pushup squads will get a good workout.

Eagle81
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM

We did something similar to that vs Longview and it didn't workout too well. I'm not talking about dropping everyone back in coverage. I'm talking about the secondary being disciplined and not leaving their coverage early, which is what I saw a lot of vs Longview. They pressured QB very well in that game and our secondary was just flat out blowing coverage. That's been a problem the last two years. That's all I'm saying.

Shoot2thrill
10-28-2011, 01:37 PM

With these offenses, absolutely. I expect the winner to be in the low 40s - about like the temperature. :D

mike03car
10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
We did something similar to that vs Longview and it didn't workout too well. I'm not talking about dropping everyone back in coverage. I'm talking about the secondary being disciplined and not leaving their coverage early, which is what I saw a lot of vs Longview. They pressured QB very well in that game and our secondary was just flat out blowing coverage. That's been a problem the last two years. That's all I'm saying.

Longview is top 10 in most if not all TX-5A-FB polls.

Shoot2thrill
10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't know Shoot...I can't even get anyone to make predictions in all of the crosstown rival games on the 3-5A thread...where is everyone..??

Dunno. It's a lot more fun when you have very active posters to exchange barbs with. :D It also helps to have a couple of over zealous posters that you can make fun of. As far as predictions go, I will make the occasional foray into the role of prognosticator but not often. :cool:

Eagle81
10-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Longview is top 10 in most if not all TX-5A-FB polls.

Agreed. But that's a game that was very winnable if weren't for blown coverages.

mike03car
10-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Agreed. But that's a game that was very winnable if weren't for blown coverages.

They've shown better against the district.

mojotrain
10-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Shucks Shoot, I'll draw mine out right now. Permian beats the Eagles by a little bit.

and about Cooper Cooper remember this. One of my favorite old time Eagle posters said, "If it were easy Cooper would have done it".

Shoot2thrill
10-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Shucks Shoot, I'll draw mine out right now. Permian beats the Eagles by a little bit.

and about Cooper Cooper remember this. One of my favorite old time Eagle posters said, "If it were easy Cooper would have done it".

And train delivers the first salvo a full week before the game. I love it. :D

And yes, I borrowed my tagline below from Leeyawn over at the old LSWC site. :cool:

tmcran
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Have said what ya said and I agree. Do you think the coverage will be better? It seemed to me that the coverage was better last week but altogether different QB for the Cougs.

1eagle2fan
10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
ahs 48 chs 38:D
op 36 ohs 21
ml 28 mhs 17

1eagle2fan
10-28-2011, 05:39 PM
good luck to all tonight man i cant wait AHS CHS go eagles !!!! hope Abbes has 300+ plus Pax gets 150+ and porter gets 100+

AE 8008
10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
too bad game 7 of the WS is tonight :mad:

wish I could be at the game. Go Eagles!

AHSeagles
10-28-2011, 07:05 PM
too bad game 7 of the WS is tonight :mad:

wish I could be at the game. Go Eagles!

Holy ****, you haven't posted on here in ages!

Eagledad61
10-28-2011, 08:46 PM

U wanna reevaluate mojo? 42-0 Abilene over Cooper at half

Warbird
10-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Just tuned in. HOLY SMOKES! Coogs have three fumbles, two INTs. AHS has 14 minutes possession in the first half. Abbe 11-16 for 200...Eagles have 25 rushes for 198 yards.

Good night. I think everything finally fell into place for Abilene High. Coogs have 11 yards on ten rushes if I heard the radio right.

Durty Burd
10-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Total Domination.....first half the Eagles have ROCKED Cooper.....so far.

Listening in from Houston tonight. GO EAGLES :notworthy

Eagledad61
10-28-2011, 09:06 PM
U wanna reevaluate mojo? 42-0 Abilene over Cooper at half

Well have not seen that shredding we heard about yet. Maybe better lick against 2 nd team this half. Abbe is the gunslinger in this game so far!

Warbird
10-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Total Domination.....first half the Eagles have ROCKED Cooper.....so far.

Listening in from Houston tonight. GO EAGLES :notworthy

I'm listening in from the New England. :D

Eagledad61
10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm listening in from the New England. :D

Well Clayton punting stats are good!

Warbird
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
105 plays run with over 2:00 left in the third. Lots of snaps tonight!

Eagles have 55 plays for 552 yards.

...Aaaaaaand Nicholas is picked by Conlan Aguirre for the second time tonight.

Man, what's gotten into our D? Hope it's not a one night thing!

warbirds81
10-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Well Clayton punting stats are good!

Maybe he can be a division 1 punter...

Warbird
10-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Seventh Cooper turnover of the evening. Eagles are one point shy of putting up the most points in a crosstown game.

Warbird
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Erik Harris takes it in from 25 yards out; this game now has officially the highest number of points scored by one team and makes this game the most lopsided in the history of the crosstown game.

thestud
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
The last stat update on gofridaynight was at the 3:55 mark in the 3rd quarter

Abbe 11 of 16 for 222 yards
Mcgary with 8 catches for 159 yards
Pax with 138 yards rushin

Nicholas 13 of 22 for 152 yards, two int's

thestud
10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
fumbled kickoff by the Coogs. 8th turnover of the night for Cooper

Warbird
10-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Coogs try to lateral on the return, fumble it. Eagles recover it. Oh, my. That's the eighth Coog turnover. Eagles take over at the Coog 25.

warbirds81
10-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Cooper's 8th turnover.

The only blemish here is the 6 points allowed by AHS.

warbirds81
10-28-2011, 10:19 PM
62-6 Final

Warbird
10-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Eagles win in convincing fashion, 62-6. Yikes...Eagles are peaking at about the right time. If the D continues to tighten up--and who knows, they seem to finally have clicked, much like Pearland did late last year--we could see these kids go pretty deep.

Durty Burd
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow....words escape me after that whipping.

thestud
10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
62-6 final score

8 Cooper turnovers

AHS total offense 644
Cooper total offense 219
AHS rush 46 for 294 yards
Cooper 24 rushes for 29 yards
Abbe 21 of 30 for 350 yards 2 td
McGary 9 catches for 187 yards

Paxton Grayer 16 carries for 146 and 2 tds
Marcell Porter 11 carries for 71 yards and 2 td
Erik Harris 9 carries for 69 yards 1 td

OJOM
10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Great win over a great team, congrats :notworthy after that I'm scared to see next weeks score.:eek:

cardinals08
10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats eagles....

Shoot2thrill
10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Coogs by 14. Bring it.

Sorry to have to say this......FAIL. :D

tmcran
10-28-2011, 10:43 PM
WOW! WOW! and WOW!!!. Man I'm so proud of the Eagle D. Talk about peaking. Great rush on Cooper QB, great secondary play and giving the O great field position. Needless to say the O played lights out and for sure Abbe is the best QB in Abilene and 3-5A. Looks as if the young Eagle team has really come together. :yes:

Mojomadness
10-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Congrats Abilene! See ya next week its gonna be fun! Hopefully we can get a couple key players healthy and make a honorable showing.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
10-28-2011, 10:46 PM
That was payback for last year. Lol

Shoot2thrill
10-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Congrats Abilene! See ya next week its gonna be fun! Hopefully we can get a couple key players healthy and make a honorable showing.

It would be virtually impossible to re-create the intensity and emotion of the game tonight again next week. In fact, a severe letdown is what I am afraid of. But if the Eagles play their game next week and the D brings it like they did tonight, I firmly believe we will win by 21+ points. Now is not a good time to have the Eagles on your schedule- home or away. :cool:

tmcran
10-28-2011, 10:57 PM
It would be virtually impossible to re-create the intensity and emotion of the game tonight again next week. In fact, a severe letdown is what I am afraid of. But if the Eagles play their game next week and the D brings it like they did tonight, I firmly believe we will win by 21+ points. Now is not a good time to have the Eagles on your schedule- home or away. :cool:

Could be --But if the Eagles have truly peaked .....well who knows. Will enjoy the drive ......not!:D

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Could be --But if the Eagles have truly peaked .....well who knows. Will enjoy the drive ......not!:D

Gotta go to this one next week..!! Both teams could have let down after big cross town victories.

Nobody saw this one coming tonight. Total domination...never would have predicted that Cooper only scores once and they have to run a flea flicker to get close enough for that score. Defense played lights out and offense was near perfect with only 1 punt and 1 turn over. Coogs may have given up at some point but 2nd team looked good also....wow..still trying to process this one...

HarlingenCardinals
10-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Wow didn't expect this, are Eagles going D1 or D2 in the playoffs?

Coug78
10-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Congrats to the Eagles!

tmcran
10-28-2011, 11:32 PM
wow didn't expect this, are eagles going d1 or d2 in the playoffs?

d2.

Eagledad61
10-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Gotta go to this one next week..!! Both teams could have let down after big cross town victories.

Nobody saw this one coming tonight. Total domination...never would have predicted that Cooper only scores once and they have to run a flea flicker to get close enough for that score. Defense played lights out and offense was near perfect with only 1 punt and 1 turn over. Coogs may have given up at some point but 2nd team looked good also....wow..still trying to process this one...

62-6 Amazing! Never would have predicted this one! Eagle D showed alot more coverage tonight as far as scheme. Been holding that back perhaps? Totally differenct defensive calls than we have seen all year. More Blitzing and we actually pressed receivers.

For those that left early I saw another amazing thing tonight! Probably the biggest display of sportsmanship and class in not only the crosstown but in any game period. Cooper players lined up for the Abilene High school song respectfully at midfield. I was completely thrown off guard and impressed. Moebes you may not have won tonight, but that was a classy move on the part of your team! You have earned my respect and classy moves such as this will payoff in your future! I wish your team the best! Hope we can play again in Round 4!

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Abilene and Cooper will be D2

Eagledad61
10-28-2011, 11:34 PM

We are locked in DII as us and Cooper are the smallest schools in the District.

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Congrats to the Eagles!

Thanks 78....Coogs need to regroup and get ready for playoffs. Good luck..!!

Warbird_Dad
10-28-2011, 11:37 PM
62-6 Amazing! Never would have predicted this one! Eagle D showed alot more coverage tonight as far as scheme. Been holding that back perhaps? Totally differenct defensive calls than we have seen all year. More Blitzing and we actually pressed receivers.

For those that left early I saw another amazing thing tonight! Probably the biggest display of sportsmanship and class in not only the crosstown but in any game period. Cooper players lined up for the Abilene High school song respectfully at midfield. I was completely thrown off guard and impressed. Moebes you may not have won tonight, but that was a classy move on the part of your team! You have earned my respect and classy moves such as this will payoff in your future! I wish your team the best! Hope we can play again in Round 4!

Very classy.. :notworthy

odessapermian.com
10-29-2011, 12:43 AM
For those that left early I saw another amazing thing tonight! Probably the biggest display of sportsmanship and class in not only the crosstown but in any game period. Cooper players lined up for the Abilene High school song respectfully at midfield.

They did that after our game too. I commented then that it was pretty cool. :notworthy

mike03car
10-29-2011, 01:27 AM

They did that after our game too. I commented then that it was pretty cool. :notworthy

Yeah I saw that at tonight's game too. It's cool and easy to do it after a win (@PHS) but total class after a very bad result.

Edit: Also, a good writeup already on gofridaynight.com that speaks volumes about Moebes and his team:

"Cooper players make no excuses for blowout loss"

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/oct/29/cooper-players-make-no-excuses-for-blowout-loss/?partner=RSS

mike03car
10-29-2011, 02:04 AM
One thing to meantion that I heard on the radio broadcast while driving south to home. We know the Coogs gave up the ball 8 times on turnovers, and from watching it all I'd say 6 were forced and 2 were self inflicted. The radio show said Cooper is now minus 17 in take-aways; they came into tonight's game already -9 in the turnovers and fortunate to overcome this problem until this week. Broadcasters hoped it to be corrected or the Coogs may struggle not only next week but also might not get past playoff round 1. On the star-dodge football friday night show, Coach Warren praised highly his coaching staff for their game plan and how well our players executed. Knowing him, I bet the turnovers received extra emphasis during practice the past week and it certainly showed.

Warbird87
10-29-2011, 03:41 AM
WOW!!! What a dominating display by the Eagles tonight. I don't think anyone saw that kind of blow out coming. Eagles played a complete game tonight.

Defense stepped up and played the best game of the year. Totally shut down the Cougars offense. Forced 7 or 8 turnovers..... i think 4 were INTs. Had to have held Cooper to under 50 yards rushing and limited Nicholas to 200 or so passing with 0 TDs thru the air. I love me some DEFENSE when it is played like that.

Offense just keeps on rolling. Abbe threw for 350 yds and clearly established himself as the best QB in 3-5A. The kid is fearless and stood tall and delivered several strikes downfield before getting blasted....got up and continued to do his thang. Pax was awesome again tonight and the WR were darn near flawless. When this O is clicking it is a beautiful thing to watch.

A very classy gesture after the game by the Cougars to line up across the field in a show of respect during our school song.....never seen that before....very cool.

Good luck to the Cougs next week and in the POs.
Congrats to the Eagles on a huge win!!!

mike03car
10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Just some updates along with the story:

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/oct/29/eagles-earn-share-of-another-3-5a-title-with/

The Eagles posted the second-highest offensive production in school history with 643 yards, 30 shy of their total against Odessa High in the district opener. Quarterback Evin Abbe and receiver Tyler McGary each had career performances. Abbe was 21 of 29 passing for 349 yards and two TDs and ran for another score. McGary had 10 receptions for 198 yards and a score.

Keevan Lucas added four catches for 117 yards with a TD, while running back Paxton Grayer rushed for 145 yards and two scores on 16 carries. Marcell Porter also rushed for a pair of touchdowns and Erik Harris capped the night with a 25-yard scoring run in the fourth quarter.

Cooper quarterback Clayton Nicholas accounted for most of the Cougars' production as AHS allowed CHS just 24 rushing yards. Nicholas, who scored Cooper's touchdown on a 1-yard sneak in the third quarter, was 20 of 35 passing for 205 yards, but threw four interceptions and was held without a TD pass for the first time this season.

Eagle linebacker Charles McGill, who forced two fumbles and blocked Cooper's PAT kick, sacked and stripped Nicholas on the next series to set up another field goal. Two more Cooper turnovers led to Grayer TD runs of 50 and 21 yards just 38 seconds apart as AHS wen up 28-0 less than a minute into the second quarter. "It helped get that momentum going again, getting the offense out there and letting them get the touchdowns for us," McGill said.

:notworthy#9EagleMom:notworthy

Warbird_Dad
10-29-2011, 09:31 AM
62-6 final score

8 Cooper turnovers

AHS total offense 644
Cooper total offense 219
AHS rush 46 for 294 yards
Cooper 24 rushes for 29 yards
Abbe 21 of 30 for 350 yards 2 td
McGary 9 catches for 187 yards

Paxton Grayer 16 carries for 146 and 2 tds
Marcell Porter 11 carries for 71 yards and 2 td
Erik Harris 9 carries for 69 yards 1 td

Here is the Reporter News story but stats are from Stephenville vs Midway. Stud gave us a pretty good stat summary though

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/oct/29/eagles-earn-share-of-another-3-5a-title-with/

thestud
10-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Here is the Reporter News story but stats are from Stephenville vs Midway. Stud gave us a pretty good stat summary though

A few minor disparities in the stats Chuck and Al spit out last night and the gofridaynight.com stats. Cooper with 49 rush yards instead of 29, McGary had 198 yards receiving instead of 187 according to the newspaper.

#9EagleMom
10-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Just some updates along with the story:

:notworthy#9EagleMom:notworthy

Wowww is all I can say about the ENTIRE GAME. We are proud of our young Eagle team!!!!! Evin definitely deserves kuddo's, Offense was AMAZing and Defense was Spectacular! I guess last weeks sideline "discussion" <cough cough> between Coach Fullen and my son sunk in. :yes::rofl:

D-5
10-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Wowww is all I can say about the ENTIRE GAME. We are proud of our young Eagle team!!!!! Evin definitely deserves kuddo's, Offense was AMAZing and Defense was Spectacular! I guess last weeks sideline "discussion" <cough cough> between Coach Fullen and my son sunk in. :yes::rofl:

Sounds like the eagles played well.

Warbird_Dad
10-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Sounds like the eagles played well.

Extremely well....on both sides of the ball and special teams. Miscues were minimal: 1 fumble, 1 big play on defense and 1 drive killing penalty on offense. Almost perfect.