Allen High School. 8.
Plano Senior High School. 47.
Plano West High School. 28.
Plano East High School. 21
Flower Mound High School. 21
Flower Mound Marcus High School. 6
Lewisville High School. 5
Hebron High School. 0

Love football, but when it comes to what matters most, educating young people, Plano Senior High is doing pretty well I would say.

Good luck to all 8 5A schools going into district play.

JagFan
09-18-2011, 11:43 AM
The score that matters most from todays Dallas Morning News:

National Merit Scholarship Finalists

Allen High School. 8.
Plano Senior High School. 47.
Plano West High School. 28.
Plano East High School. 21
Flower Mound High School. 21
Flower Mound Marcus High School. 6
Lewisville High School. 5
Hebron High School. 0

Love football, but when it comes to what matters most, educating young people, Plano Senior High is doing pretty well I would say.

Good luck to all 8 5A schools going into district play.

Great find and I agree. Best stat we can ask for.

Old Plano Fan
09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Funny no smart #*} remarks from the Allen people on this post! Where are all the eagle/cat photos?

twcpfan1
09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Where's the link?

So the DMN specifically targeted only schools in 8-5a for this article? Why?

Old Plano Fan
09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
No, all schools with ANY Merit Scholars are listed. I just listed the 8 5A schools. It is in the Sunday edition of the DMN.

twcpfan1
09-18-2011, 09:45 PM
No, all schools with ANY Merit Scholars are listed. I just listed the 8 5A schools. It is in the Sunday edition of the DMN.

Oh I see. Thanks.

twcpfan1
09-18-2011, 09:49 PM
http://getlisty.com/preview/texas-top-high-schools-for-2011-national-merit-semifinalists/

In case people want to see the top 25 overall..

Here is a list of the top 25 Texas high schools with the most National Merit Semifinalists in 2011:

1. Westlake High School — 47

2. Texas Academy of Math and Science (Denton) — 46

3. Plano High School — 39

4. Austin Liberal Arts and Science Academy — 36

5. Flower Mound High School — 34

6. Clear Lake High School — 31

6. St. John’s School (Houston) — 31

6. Sugar Land William P. Clements High School — 31

9. Round Rock Westwood High School — 29

10. Plano West High School — 26

11. Bellaire High School — 24

12. Plano East High School — 21

13. St. Mark’s School of Texas (Dallas) — 18

13. Flower Mound Edward S. Marcus High School — 18

15. Highland Park High School — 16

16. Coppell High School — 15

16. Hockaday School (Dallas) — 15

18. Klein High School — 14

19. Fort Worth Robert L. Paschal High School — 13

19. Katy Cinco Ranch High School — 13

19. Katy Seven Lakes High School — 13

19. The Woodlands College Park High School– 13

23. Jesuit Preparatory (Dallas) — 12

23. The Woodlands High School — 12

25. Cistercian Preparatory (Irving) — 11

Old Plano Fan
09-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't see Allen on the list! Did I miss them?

Steve Ulmer
09-18-2011, 11:28 PM
We do have a very diverse Asian student population. Not saying it has everything to do with it. However, it helps.

slcdragonfan
09-18-2011, 11:41 PM
http://getlisty.com/preview/texas-top-high-schools-for-2011-national-merit-semifinalists/

In case people want to see the top 25 overall..

Here is a list of the top 25 Texas high schools with the most National Merit Semifinalists in 2011:

1. Westlake High School — 47

2. Texas Academy of Math and Science (Denton) — 46

3. Plano High School — 39

4. Austin Liberal Arts and Science Academy — 36

5. Flower Mound High School — 34

6. Clear Lake High School — 31

6. St. John’s School (Houston) — 31

6. Sugar Land William P. Clements High School — 31

9. Round Rock Westwood High School — 29

10. Plano West High School — 26

11. Bellaire High School — 24

12. Plano East High School — 21

13. St. Mark’s School of Texas (Dallas) — 18

13. Flower Mound Edward S. Marcus High School — 18

15. Highland Park High School — 16

16. Coppell High School — 15

16. Hockaday School (Dallas) — 15

18. Klein High School — 14

19. Fort Worth Robert L. Paschal High School — 13

19. Katy Cinco Ranch High School — 13

19. Katy Seven Lakes High School — 13

19. The Woodlands College Park High School– 13

23. Jesuit Preparatory (Dallas) — 12

23. The Woodlands High School — 12

25. Cistercian Preparatory (Irving) — 11

wouldn't that be last year's data?

JagFan
09-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Yes, this year FM is down to 27 or 29, I can't remember which one.

twcpfan1
09-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Why would this year's be out? Isn't that determined near the end of the school year?

twcpfan1
09-19-2011, 07:30 AM
We do have a very diverse Asian student population. Not saying it has everything to do with it. However, it helps.

So does Clements and Clear Lake. Curiously, they top the list of all GHA schools on that list.

twcpfan1
09-19-2011, 07:36 AM

That link only lists the top 25. Both Allen and SLC must not have more than 11.

DrEdward
09-19-2011, 08:06 AM

The National Merit Semifinalists are based on scores from the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test taken in the Junior year. So, these results are based on the tests taken about a year ago by the now current Senior class.

Congratulations to those receiving such high marks on the PSAT. But be sure to follow it up where it really counts, the real SAT.

marcusdrillmom
09-19-2011, 08:26 AM
The National Merit Semifinalists are based on scores from the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test taken in the Junior year. So, these results are based on the tests taken about a year ago by the now current Senior class.

Congratulations to those receiving such high marks on the PSAT. But be sure to follow it up where it really counts, the real SAT.

Yes second list posted is the semi finalist list determined by PSAT (this years required score was a very stout 219. To make finalist the kids must make a similar score on the actual SAT and complete a very long on line app ...sadly a couple of kids from Marcus missed the deadline for the for the online app.

dragonpants
09-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Funny no smart #*} remarks from the Allen people on this post! Where are all the eagle/cat photos?

They are all at band practice.

Old Plano Fan
09-19-2011, 09:09 AM
List printed in the Sunday DMN was for National Merit FINALIST.

Plano has 47 and Allen has only 8.

Dont know about SLC, did not check since they are not in 8 5A.

dragonpants
09-19-2011, 09:12 AM

No worries about Carroll, our kids are not very bright, just a bunch of privileged kids that do not study or focus on academics but they drive really nice cars. ;)

CC62
09-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Seriously. First of all, congratulations to ALL students that made this very prestigious list!

I believe Allen recruited their 8 finalists from Plano...

Us, here in Allin, are just dummer than a boks of rox. The ownly thing we no how to do is play futball, raastle and play sum good music...

...and, of course, surf the internet for eagle and kitty pictures...

Old Plano Fan
09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
5000 students and only 8 made the list!

jmcju1
09-20-2011, 01:21 PM
You wanted a response from someone in Allen – well, here is mine. I do not wish to take anything away from the importance of being a merit scholar. It is a tremendous honor and well deserved. However, I am very disappointed that students are being called out in this manner. I have become accustomed to having others ridicule our school, size of band, and cost of the new stadium, but this new attack is unacceptable. It is one thing to come on this website and celebrate your student’s accomplishments but it is in extremely poor taste to do so by tearing other students down. Sadly, if this makes you feel superior – enjoy.

As an “Old Allen Fan”, I am extremely proud that we consistently have 800 to 1000 kids that are eligible to participate in all varsity football games. It is great to see that many kids want to be part of something and are willing to make sure that they pass their classes in order to partake in extra curricular activities. Just like Plano – Allen also has to abide by the no pass/no play rule.

To the Old Plano Fan, were you a merit scholar? Congratulations if you were. I admit that I was not. Yet, I’ve always managed to hold down a full time job, pay my bills, and pay my taxes on time. They even let me vote and serve on jury duty. You see, it takes all kinds to make this country run. I feel like most of the Allen kids will find their place in the world right beside the merit scholars from Plano.

As to this website? I thought this was supposed to be dedicated to high school football. Guess I was wrong. It’s not for me. Therefore, I’ll say goodbye and sign off.

Good luck to all 8-5A (even Plano).
GO EAGLES!!

bigdaddydog
09-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Clearly you have the fine folks from Allen pegged on this one. Someone has to be the front end of the Bell Curve and that by all appearances is Plano Sr. High!! :notworthy

Down here in Allen we must not appreciate our kids as much as the Plano Folks do...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5182146965_543241f531.jpg

But we shore do thank ya'll for paying for our High Skool and all.

Come on 9/23 !! I can hear the chant off in the distance, we want Allen, we want Allen, we want Allen, WE WANT ALLEN!, WE WANT ALLEN!!! :D

~

dmo069
09-20-2011, 02:07 PM

I'll respond since you clearly have no concept how meaningless this metric truly is. In 1955, when this award was created, it did carry significant weight. Not so much in this day and age. In fact, many colleges don't even require these scores as an entrance requirement. This number is growing daily. These colleges have realized just what the scores mean: "Some of our students do really well on standardized tests!" That's it! What an achievement? You can't study for these tests. But, but ... They have classes you can take. Yes they do and these classes are a very effective way to separate you from your $$$. It won't be long before all higher learning institutions base their selection process on things that matter. Maybe something like wanting to know what you actually did for 4 years in HS vs. what you did one Saturday morning?

TexTider
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, thought this was a football board, but let’s go!

So the number of NMS students is the MOST important factor to Plano residents. Good to know. How about the number of hungry children in East Plano? Heroine overdoses? Sex acts in your schools? Kids suffering from unpaid child support? Abused children? Teen suicide? Bullying in schools?

If any of these rank in importance below the numbers you threw out, please give us your reasoning. Choose something that really matters.

Or, maybe we should all just talk football here.

Steve Ulmer
09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, thought this was a football board, but let’s go!

So the number of NMS students is the MOST important factor to Plano residents. Good to know. How about the number of hungry children in East Plano? Heroine overdoses? Sex acts in your schools? Kids suffering from unpaid child support? Abused children? Teen suicide? Bullying in schools?

If any of these rank in importance below the numbers you threw out, please give us your reasoning. Choose something that really matters.

Or, maybe we should all just talk football here.

Of course none of that ever happens in Allen or Frisco or Mckinney, Remember, Plano is 3 times the size of Allen, We all can't have shinny new houses, and retail all built in the last 5 years no can we. That Allen Bubble must be impenetrable

TexTider
09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Of course none of that ever happens in Allen or Frisco or Mckinney, Remember, Plano is 3 times the size of Allen, We all can't have shinny new houses, and retail all built in the last 5 years no can we. That Allen Bubble must be impenetrable

None of those were accusations. Read again. Issues. Important to Plano? Less important than # of NMS finalists?

Clear?

Old Plano Fan
09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Educate young people, that is what public school is all about. YES, EDUCATE OUR KIDS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR TO PISD AND PLANO RESIDENTS.

Was not ripping Allen, just pointed out that 5000 students and only 8 students made the list, quite surprising!

Never said Plano did not have issues, just pointed out that PSHS has 47 students on the list! They must be doing something right!

yankee
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Educate young people, that is what public school is all about. YES, EDUCATE OUR KIDS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR TO PISD AND PLANO RESIDENTS.

Was not ripping Allen, just pointed out that 5000 students and only 8 students made the list, quite surprising!

Never said Plano did not have issues, just pointed out that PSHS has 47 students on the list! They must be doing something right!

Seems pretty obvious to me that you were trying to rip Allen. People aren't stupid, just because your comments are indirect doesn't mean it goes over people's heads.

Hey, if you can't beat 'em on the football field, beat 'em with National Merit Scholars. That'll show 'em! :heli:

TexTider
09-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Just to slowly lead the kings of NMS back around to football, on a football board, remember, we're talking football here, OK . . .

. . . our 8 NMS would beat your 47 straight up, on any football field, any day, all at once.

(and just to put a ribbon on it, if you really think academics come before the physical and mental welfare of a child, you just reinforced why I left Plano for Allen)

Old Plano Fan
09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Would MUCH prefer to beat them in the classroom and boardroom! :)

Think what you want, just surprised at the numbers.

TexTider
09-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Which, again, isn't done on a football field. BTW, the Calculus discussion board just asked you to join as the charter member, as the English board can see your reading comprehension isn't very developed, and rejected your application.

Old Plano Fan
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Spoken like a true uneducated, do not care to be educated ex-jock.

Time to check my stocks, DOW is up 7 points. You know what stocks and the DOW are right? That is where us Calculus team members make a living.

TexTider
09-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Spoken like a true uneducated, do not care to be educated ex-jock.

Time to check my stocks, DOW is up 7 points. You know what stocks and the DOW are right? That is where us Calculus team members make a living.

You do realize this is a football board, right? :confused:

Oh well, just to get on your level, "I know you are, but what am I?"

And to interpret OPF for the others who may not speak Plano, "My kid is richer than your kid."

Old Plano Fan
09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
You did not asnwer the question. You know what stocks and the DOW are right? Ex-jock or a jock wantabe?

My kids ALL worked in high school, purchased their own car and insurance, went on to college, graduated, and are doing quite well. Rich, no. Educated, yes. You are confusing PSHS with Plano West.

I love talking football, Manchester United beat Chelsea 3 -1 on Sunday.

Steve Ulmer
09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
None of those were accusations. Read again. Issues. Important to Plano? Less important than # of NMS finalists?

Clear?

Your intention of your post was very clear. Regardless on how you want to spin it.

TexTider
09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks for reinforcing the stereotype.

Steve Ulmer
09-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Lets don't get carried away. Education is good and all. The reality is, I want to beat there Eagle A** and kick them to the curb on Friday night as much as the next Plano fan. Having a superior ISD in academics/education is just the cherry on top the the football sundae. :D

Old Plano Fan
09-20-2011, 05:21 PM
If stereotype is work hard, get a good education, I'll live with that.

Still did not answer the question. Stocks, DOW???

bigdaddydog
09-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Lets don't get carried away. Education is good and all. The reality is, I want to beat there Eagle A** and kick them to the curb on Friday night as much as the next Plano fan. Having a superior ISD in academics/education is just the cherry on top the the football sundae. :D

Well unfortunately for Plano that Cherry is all old and dried up. I know you folks will be back on top some day soon and if you can muster the team to beat the other Plano Schools you could just possibly take back the PCC. Now that would be a real cherry on top of your football sundae!!

Cheers,

or as you folks say Faversham!!

~

twcpfan1
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
As to this website? I thought this was supposed to be dedicated to high school football. Guess I was wrong. It’s not for me. Therefore, I’ll say goodbye and sign off.

Good luck to all 8-5A (even Plano).
GO EAGLES!!

The Katy folks will talk football with you.

CC62
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
If stereotype is work hard, get a good education, I'll live with that.

Still did not answer the question. Stocks, DOW???

We give up! What is a stock and DOW??? Is it like a special code for something?

Get off your high horse...

TexTider
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
You did not asnwer the question. You know what stocks and the DOW are right? Ex-jock or a jock wantabe?

My kids ALL worked in high school, purchased their own car and insurance, went on to college, graduated, and are doing quite well. Rich, no. Educated, yes. You are confusing PSHS with Plano West.

I love talking football, Manchester United beat Chelsea 3 -1 on Sunday.

When PISseD lists soccer on the district website as "football", you'll deserve an answer. So far, pretty pathetic for such a power-broker.

Guess I'll go to the Allen v. Plano thread for football talk, since this one accomplished its non-football intention, distraction from getting OWNED since the kids on the field were in elementary school.

Bill4par
09-21-2011, 04:24 PM

It is impenetrable for you my old hack friend!!!;)