PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs Others this season.

Texasfrog
04-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Looking at the 2005 schedules already. There is a some interesting match-ups with Texas programs vs other States stronger programs.

Midland Lee vs Clovis East, Ca.
Abilene High vs Rockhurst, Mo
Longview vs Evangel, La
Longview vs West Monroe, La
Tyler Lee vs Colerain, Oh.
Tyler Lee vs Hollywood-Mad., Fla

I think there is a couple of other matchups in the works.

All look like good matchups on paper. Matching some of Texas powerhouse programs against other States powerhouse programs.

The Midland Lee vs Clovis East, Ca looks interesting because that's matching up a Texas team that was #13 in State last season against Clovis East that was #17th in California. Clovis East also lost to California power (Long beach Poly) last year 29-28. They lost to LB Poly the year before in O.T. So, this Clovis East team looks like they are a very strong California team.

Colerain, Ohio has 8 starters back from thier 2004 Ohio State championship team. But, they lost about 7 of their stronger players (Qb, Rb, Dt,Dt, Lb, Cb, Fs) that were their top playmakers.

Anyway, thoughts ?

ralph'sboy
04-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Where will the West Monroe vs. Longview game be played? West Monroe is one of louisiana's best teams. It should make for a great game.

TexasHSFootball
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
The West Monroe vs Longview game is in Shreveport's Independence Stadium.

Texasfrog
04-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Longview vs WM should be a good game. West Monroe should be a top #4 Louisiana team (as usual) and Longview should be a top #10 Texas team this coming season.

Longview is used to playing at Independence Stadium so that wont be a big deal for them.

I think when you get West Monroe out of their home stadium they are easier to beat. Teams that have to go to WM and play face a big challenge. WM is one of the toughest venues for "away teams" to play in. The term "homefield advantage" was created at WM I think.

But, that should be an exciting game against two States powerhouse programs. I believe that Foxsports is putting the game on tv along with the Evangel vs Springdale game.

ralph'sboy
04-03-2005, 05:06 PM
sweet!...can't wait :)

drgnbkr
04-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I think Carroll is playing out of State this season...in Abilene, against Midland Lee...its a long way out there anyway... :)

pack4life
04-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Looks like a great lineup of out of state games, texas should do well against the powerhouses from other states. Does anyone know if this many games against out of state teams has ever been scheduled?

Texasfrog
04-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Texas usually has a few Out-of-State games against other elite teams from other States .. usually Louisiana. But, I've been following Texas High school football for about 20 years and this is the first time that I can recall so many Match-ups against stronger teams from other States.

I think this is a trend that we'll see more and more of over the next few years. Especially if broadcast companies like Foxsports and ESPN start to cover alot of travel cost for programs.

I like it alot as long as it doesnt get to stupid. A few games each year is fun. I just dont want to see some people start touting for a High School National Playoff or anything totally "INSANE" like that.

But..... Nothing like a little ole movie "Friday Night Lights" to put a target on Texas back huh ???

I knew the minute I saw that movie that Coaches from all over the country were going to want to play a Texas program.

KT2000
04-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I think it's strongly due to the movie Friday Night Lights. Everyone wants to play a Texas team right now. However, you know the old saying...

"Be careful what you wish for..."

dragonsdaddy
04-03-2005, 09:47 PM
for those whose teams may play on tv soon, be careful of things spinning out of control. the slc-dr game was so circus like, i was surprised at the control both teams showed. as time goes on and tv isn't such a novelty, it won't be so surreal. whatever happens, i hope all texas teams can play and hopefully win with class. if not i hope they can lose with class too.

Red Raiders
04-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Looking at the 2005 schedules already. There is a some interesting match-ups with Texas programs vs other States stronger programs.

Longview vs Evangel, La

All look like good matchups on paper. Matching some of Texas powerhouse programs against other States powerhouse programs.

The Midland Lee vs Clovis East, Ca looks interesting because that's matching up a Texas team that was #13 in State last season against Clovis East that was #17th in California. Clovis East also lost to California power (Long beach Poly) last year 29-28. They lost to LB Poly the year before in O.T. So, this Clovis East team looks like they are a very strong California team.

Colerain, Ohio has 8 starters back from thier 2004 Ohio State championship team. But, they lost about 7 of their stronger players (Qb, Rb, Dt,Dt, Lb, Cb, Fs) that were their top playmakers.

Anyway, thoughts ?

Colerain is number 4 in nation and we have to play them, I don't know how many starters we have back. Our defense will be the same as before. I have different people say about the quarterback bad and good so I am not sure yet, I am not going to post offense though.

Texasfrog
04-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Dont believe in National Prep Rankings.. They are mostly for fun and ect. They dont represent anything that is remotely a Fact. Trust Me on this one.

I saw Colerain play last season and I can 100% promise you without a shadow of doubt that they arent "Any better or Worse" than the top # 15 Texas programs from the 2004 season. In fact the Texas team they reminded me the most of in 2004 was Midland Lee.

Last, I saw the Qb- Preston Hill kid play when he was a 10th grader in the Lufkin game. He came in when his brother got banged up. I was very impressed by him and thought he had very good poise and skill for a 10th grade QB going against a very tough Lufkin defense. He threw a couple of td passes in that game.

So, with the skill level I saw as a 10th grader. He'll get all the off-season (Spring football and 7-on-7) to really get the offense in sinc.

So, in my opinion I think Tyler Lee is going to have a really good QB this coming season with the Preston Hill kid.

cougardude
04-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I think Carroll is playing out of State this season...in Abilene, against Midland Lee...its a long way out there anyway... :)

Now, now - it's not THAT far to Abilene from Southlake! ;)

ALLIN
04-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Texas will win most if not all of those, we are just better amd take it more seriously than anyone.

Texasfrog
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Allin, I agree mostly with what you say. I do think Texas is the most dominate High school football State. I think are top #15 Teams every year can beat almost anyone from any other State or at least give them one heck of a game 99% of the time.

Texas depth of quality teams is "no joke." I mean many of our stronger 3A teams would be State Champs in most States.

I do however think that Louisiana always has about 5 teams that can give anyone in Texas a strong game.

Oklahoma has 2 teams (Jenks & Union) that could play with anyone in Texas every year.

Florida has like 2 teams that could play with anyone in Texas. Jacksonville Bolles Academy is really good.

I do think last years Colerain Ohio team could play with the Texas top #15 and it would be a toss-up.

California has about 4 teams every year that would give the Texas top #15 a run for their money.

There is a few others out there around the nation that usually have 1 or 2 quality teams that could play with the Texas top #15.

But, for a STATE. Texas is so far ahead of everyone else when it comes to High school football on all aspects.

Players, coaches, school spirit, fan support and town support. Texas is far and away #1.

Pt being.. If Colerain beats Tyler Lee this season. I'll bet that Colerain goes undefeated and wins the Ohio State title again. If Tyler Lee loses to Colerain , Tyler Lee will probably lose 2 or 3 other games.

But, seeing what I've seen on film and knowing what both teams have coming back. My early prediction in the Tyler Lee vs Colerain.

Tyler Lee = 24
Colerain = 14

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Now, now - it's not THAT far to Abilene from Southlake! ;)

Abilene to Tyler, yea and Texas can break up 4 parts of state but I would hate that because we all be separated represent to our football team and alot of other things, would really hate that.

JCP1984
04-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Dallas Jesuit has played Rockhurst HS twice in the past three seasons, losing both times. Rockhurst is a very good team, and they are usaully in the hunt for the state title in Missouri's largest classification. I believe they have won state twice in the past four seasons. They have numbers, size, and a few differewnce makers. They are well-coached, and they travel around to play good people. I would think most years they would make the playoffs in UIL 5A and would be in the hunt for a state title. The two times I saw them play, they reminded me of Highland Park with more speed. They ran a traditional offense, though. Their HC is highly regarded, and they have 1-2 studs in every class. The two off this past year's team went to Notre Dame and BC, I think. They had a great TB the two years they beat Dallas Jesuit, and they had about 10 players over 250 pounds.

CoppellCowboy57
04-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Texas football is like a family, a family with alot sibbling rivalry, but when someone mess' wit da family from another state, Texans will stand togeither and watch us beat the other states!!!!

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Texas football is like a family, a family with alot sibbling rivalry, but when someone mess' wit da family from another state, Texans will stand togeither and watch us beat the other states!!!!

Yes is it true that we can beat all other teams out of state!

pack0808
04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
hasn't east texas 4a marshall beat west monroe several times in the last few years.?? old 5a powerhouse marshall went to the 4a finals last year and that was good for them to move to 4a because they were getting hammered by lufkin, longview, and tyler lee on a regular basis in the old east texas district. longview has blown out marshall the last 2 seasons and lufkin destroyed marshall 2 years ago 39-3 so how good can monroe be?? maybe i am wrong and it was not west monroe??

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 02:13 PM
GO Texas!!!

Cdawg
04-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Dallas Jesuit has played Rockhurst HS twice in the past three seasons, losing both times. Rockhurst is a very good team, and they are usaully in the hunt for the state title in Missouri's largest classification. I believe they have won state twice in the past four seasons. They have numbers, size, and a few differewnce makers. They are well-coached, and they travel around to play good people. I would think most years they would make the playoffs in UIL 5A and would be in the hunt for a state title. The two times I saw them play, they reminded me of Highland Park with more speed. They ran a traditional offense, though. Their HC is highly regarded, and they have 1-2 studs in every class. The two off this past year's team went to Notre Dame and BC, I think. They had a great TB the two years they beat Dallas Jesuit, and they had about 10 players over 250 pounds.

thats great to hear, i knew very little about them. it will be interesting to see how the eagles stack up. ill go with warbirds of course :cool:

Texasfrog
04-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I've seen Rockhurst play a couple of times over the years. If there is a Texas program they remind me of. I would say Katy.

Red Raiders
04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I've seen Rockhurst play a couple of times over the years. If there is a Texas program they remind me of. I would say Katy.

i never heard of Rockhurst, where is that?

Texasfrog
04-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Located outside of Kansas City, Mo. They're always one of Missouri's top programs. They're a private school program that puts alot of detail into their sports programs (especially football). They "recruit" --- oopps I meant to say "attract" alot of the top echlon football talent in the Kansas City area.

Ie. Evangel "recruits" -- dang I did it again. I meant to say "attracts" alot of the top talent in the Shreveport area.

SWTAlumni
04-11-2005, 05:11 PM
You couldn't have said it better CoppellCowboys57!

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Located outside of Kansas City, Mo. They're always one of Missouri's top programs. They're a private school program that puts alot of detail into their sports programs (especially football). They "recruit" --- oopps I meant to say "attract" alot of the top echlon football talent in the Kansas City area.

Ie. Evangel "recruits" -- dang I did it again. I meant to say "attracts" alot of the top talent in the Shreveport area.

Not Shreveport, but LA's top talent.

Texasfrog
04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
You might be right. I've heard from a few Louisiana buddies that some little La 1A and 2A studs all the sudden end up at Evangel for there JR & Sr year of football.

I even know that a few East Texas players have crossed the border to play for Evangel over the years.

Remember now, its "ATTRACTED" not recruited. We'll just forget that those players get financial help that the regular students dont get because they play football.

In college they call that an "athletic scholarship." At the powerhouse Private schools (DLS, Evangel, Rockhurst and about 10 others around the nation) those players were "attracted to the program." Wink Wink.... hahaha.

Cloviskid
04-14-2005, 09:48 AM
[ Clovis East also lost to California power (Long beach Poly) last year 29-28. They lost to LB Poly the year before in O.T. So, this Clovis East team looks like they are a very strong California team.

Hi there Texasfrog
Just a little correction Clovis East lost in over time to Poly the last game, but beat Ploy the year befor in Long Beach. The first team that was not DLS to do so seens the early 80's... :)

http://www.cloviseastfootball.com/index.html

Texasfrog
04-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the correction. It was my understanding that Clovis East lost to LB POLY 2 years in a row but both games were down to the wire. One game in OT.

It looks like the Midland Lee vs Clovis East game will match up two programs that are about #13-#16 in their respected States.

So on paper its two equal programs according to their State rankings from their State.

It should be a good game. Clovis East coming to Midland Lee will sway the favor some to Midland in my opinion.

Also, if Clovis East is like a few other California teams ( I wont mention them) and has 5 to 6 players that never leave the field and go both ways. It may be a long day for Clovis East.

Red Raiders
04-14-2005, 05:48 PM
What do yall think about East vs Midland Lee? I don't know anything about both of them for next season.

Cloviskid
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Thank for the correction Texasfrog. It was a real special victory over Poly that first game. Not bad for a team that at the time was only running its 3rd year with a varcity team. O ya it was down to the wire that game also. Clovis East just played as a team. Clovis East will show up with 75 to 80 players, so there's very few times anybody gose both was. Ya if any of you have any film on Midland Lee, Id like to see them. Im trying to get some of the other guys whos kids moved on to collage, to go with me to the game, and to see Lee on film my get them up for it! Let me know.
Thanks again, Guy

dragonsdaddy
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
the slc game would be a good one to watch as you would see them at their worst with their new offense completely exposed, and their defense run/passed into a fatigued state too. you should get a little over-confident until you see them a few weeks later as they improved thruout the year into a salty team. you might be able to order their highlight tape from their booster club.

pack4life
04-14-2005, 09:03 PM
No offense to anyone out there... but i wish that SLC and Lufkin... SV and Katy maybe could play some of these boys outside of Texas!! I have a feeling they would fair better.

Texasfrog
04-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I think Midland Lee and Tyler Lee will be alright. Not saying they will win or lose. I just think they both will do very good and do Texas proud.

Texas Hammer
05-13-2005, 01:32 AM
You might be right. I've heard from a few Louisiana buddies that some little La 1A and 2A studs all the sudden end up at Evangel for there JR & Sr year of football.

I even know that a few East Texas players have crossed the border to play for Evangel over the years.

Remember now, its "ATTRACTED" not recruited. We'll just forget that those players get financial help that the regular students dont get because they play football.

In college they call that an "athletic scholarship." At the powerhouse Private schools (DLS, Evangel, Rockhurst and about 10 others around the nation) those players were "attracted to the program." Wink Wink.... hahaha.
Like any good private school, Evangel recruits and they got SA Cornerstone's QB last year.

stevefoxsc
05-13-2005, 11:09 PM
all i can say is i hope this texas teams go out and represent the lone star state to the very best of there abilitys

Texas Hammer
05-14-2005, 06:56 AM
all i can say is i hope this texas teams go out and represent the lone star state to the very best of there abilitys
Forget about ability, I want the Texas teams to win.

lonny23
05-14-2005, 07:07 AM

Longview vs Evangel, La

Anyway, thoughts ?
These are some real good matchups. I'm really looking forward to them.

Cloviskid
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Clovis East Football Vs Midland Lee video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=698010696573531493