PDA

View Full Version : GHS's Malcolm Williams commits...

owldad
03-27-2006, 10:00 AM
to UT!!! Wow, I knew he was good, but didn't know he was that good. I only saw a couple of games last year so I don't know anything about him. Someone please fill me in...Seems out of character for a receiver at Garland to get noticed by anyone, much less Texas.

KT2000
03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
He averaged nearly 20 yards per touch for Garland last year despite not getting much of the ball. He's 6'3, over 200 pounds with legit 4.4 speed. That's prototype size and speed for a Div. 1 receiver. I bet Garland will line him up in different positions to occupy attention from the opposing defenses. Wingback, receiver, maybe even some tailback and DB.

grayowl60
03-27-2006, 10:29 AM
He was out for most of the year, but had a major role when he was in. Just watch the highlights of the first Carter game (Garlandowls.com, video vault) and he had a great play. Maybe garland can get him the ball on an end around reverse:o

dragonfootballfan
03-27-2006, 11:24 AM
to UT!!! Wow, I knew he was good, but didn't know he was that good. I only saw a couple of games last year so I don't know anything about him. Someone please fill me in...Seems out of character for a receiver at Garland to get noticed by anyone, much less Texas.
do you have a link, I have not seen this information anywhere else.

GarlandOwl06
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Malcolm is a top prospect with great size and speed as mentioned before. One of the reasons he is so highly recruited is that he can play either Wr or play as a bigger Db at either safety or corner. He makes plays on both sides of the ball as mentioned like in the carter game and also in the Desoto game were he caught a td, ran a td, and returned a fumble for a td. If you want footage go to the garland owl website. If he went to a SLC he would probably have 30 recieving tds easy. Although it is great that he is going to such a good school at UT I had to tell him as I am in class with him right now that I do hate Texas. :D

grayowl60
03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
do you have a link, I have not seen this information anywhere else.
Its on the Dallas MN site

sgfantoo
03-27-2006, 03:05 PM
In his limited season, Malcolm showed quite a bit. You can show the GHS v SG for a highlight film. (Just delete his penalties.) He is protoype. I expect Malcolm will have a better chance at making it at UT than Phillip Payne. Look at Paynes numbers for his junior and senior year. Does that project a top program receiver? Not sure. But size on both of these guys speaks very loudly.

May Malcolm have a great year but a nasty case of the flu when SG and GHS meet.

I do hear that Malcolm is fully recovered from his foot injury he received in practice the week after the GHS-SG game.

Gtown2006
03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
i think he is pretty much healed up. I went to watch the coca cola relays last week and malcolm ran the last leg a a very fast garland 4X100. that included devin mcdowell and jacquez caldwell a sophmore yall will definatly be hearing about.

grayowl60
03-30-2006, 11:24 AM
i think he is pretty much healed up. I went to watch the coca cola relays last week and malcolm ran the last leg a a very fast garland 4X100. that included devin mcdowell and jacquez caldwell a sophmore yall will definatly be hearing about.
Garland has the best time in the metro. in the4x100, 41.54. Caldwell was one of only two Sophs on the varsity last year and is listed as QB. CAN HE PASS?:confused:

LUFPAN
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
He was flying on that late touchdown Garland scored against us in the play-offs. He was steadily pulling away from the secondary the whole way.

Gtown2006
03-30-2006, 12:44 PM
he can pass. he really isnt your typical garland football player. we have a commons in our school were every hangs out and talks and i think i may have seen him in there once. he seems to be a very good and smart kid. o yeah with lots of speed.:D

Roughrider
03-30-2006, 11:15 PM
he can pass. he really isnt your typical garland football player. we have a commons in our school were every hangs out and talks and i think i may have seen him in there once. he seems to be a very good and smart kid. o yeah with lots of speed.:D

Quote of the year!!! "He's not the typical Garland football player, he seems to be a very good and smart kid!!"

2x4, you gotta see this one!!:D :D

Lp81
03-31-2006, 01:48 PM
where did the running back go? or,is he coming back? how big is he?

GTown02
03-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Which RB? Donta Sloan graduated, but we have another back still here named Wooten. Wooten is 6'1, around 200 Lbs.

grayowl60
03-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Garland had about six RBs that got a lot play. Last I heard is that Sloan was going to Tyler JC

gtowndrumma
04-02-2006, 06:16 AM
dante is going to tjc..... vos is going to harden simmons (sp*) and i dont know if butler is going anywhere

grayowl60
04-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Been wondering about Voss Williams. Is that official about Hardin Simmons? Nothing on the website about it. That makes twelve of Garland 06 seniors that will play in college:)

gtowndrumma
04-03-2006, 02:59 AM
on signing day he and john stubbs both forgot to bring their packets for harden simmons..... they are both confident in going there and have both been offered, but i dont think it is official yet

sgfantoo
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
on signing day he and john stubbs both forgot to bring their packets for harden simmons..... they are both confident in going there and have both been offered, but i dont think it is official yet

Been offered what? Hardin-Simmons is a perennial power in D3. As a D3 school they do not "offer" athletic scholarships. They have a great football team with a great coaching staff. Several other great D3 schools in Texas are East Texas Baptist, Mary Hardin-Baylor and Trinity. There are others but these are the tops.

GoOwls
04-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Been offered what? Hardin-Simmons is a perennial power in D3. As a D3 school they do not "offer" athletic scholarships. They have a great football team with a great coaching staff. Several other great D3 schools in Texas are East Texas Baptist, Mary Hardin-Baylor and Trinity. There are others but these are the tops.

You are correct about D3 schools not being able to offer scholarships. However, many do "cook the books" to help kids out. I know of a number of kids who got plenty of help from D3 schools, indirectly, of course. I've seen kids who didn't have a dime, were a bit small for D1 or D2, but could play ball, who weren't going anywhere but the unemployment line, who suddenly got their books funded, their tuition dropped by as much as 75%, and a nice REAL job in the town of the school to fund his tuition and room and board. It's an under the table thing, but it's done all the time, and for the better good in my opinion. At least the kid gets a chance....he didn't have one at home.

BTW, nobody reports it because all those schools do it, or they wouldn't be able to field teams. Lower income kids make up a large part of those schools football teams, and this is their way out.

I totally stand behind the practice as it hurts no one, and helps a kid who didn't have a chance, to have a chance to be successful.

sgfantoo
04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
You are correct about D3 schools not being able to offer scholarships. However, many do "cook the books" to help kids out. I know of a number of kids who got plenty of help from D3 schools, indirectly, of course. I've seen kids who didn't have a dime, were a bit small for D1 or D2, but could play ball, who weren't going anywhere but the unemployment line, who suddenly got their books funded, their tuition dropped by as much as 75%, and a nice REAL job in the town of the school to fund his tuition and room and board. It's an under the table thing, but it's done all the time, and for the better good in my opinion. At least the kid gets a chance....he didn't have one at home.

BTW, nobody reports it because all those schools do it, or they wouldn't be able to field teams. Lower income kids make up a large part of those schools football teams, and this is their way out.

I totally stand behind the practice as it hurts no one, and helps a kid who didn't have a chance, to have a chance to be successful.

My point exactly. Therefore, D3 athletes do not sign a letter and D3 schools as far as I know do not list "signees." That is why in the media there might not be a list where Voss signs. Many of these players become the next set of excellent high school football coaches and some make it to the big leauges in athletics while some make it big in the business world and would not have with the non-athletic financial aid these students receive.

On interesting note about D3 elgibilty. you get four years of plaing in five of practicing. these years can be spread over any number of years.

garlandowl08
04-04-2006, 04:45 PM
My point exactly. Therefore, D3 athletes do not sign a letter and D3 schools as far as I know do not list "signees." That is why in the media there might not be a list where Voss signs. Many of these players become the next set of excellent high school football coaches and some make it to the big leauges in athletics while some make it big in the business world and would not have with the non-athletic financial aid these students receive.

On interesting note about D3 elgibilty. you get four years of plaing in five of practicing. these years can be spread over any number of years.

So does that mean to "get back to his roots", Michael (sp?) Vick could go play for a D3 school and win a championship?

sgfantoo
04-04-2006, 09:51 PM
So does that mean to "get back to his roots", Michael (sp?) Vick could go play for a D3 school and win a championship?

that is my understanding garland08. Vick can pick up any unfinished eligibility any time at a D3 school. Some D3 school might want to take a look at Vick. does anyone know for sure?