PDA

View Full Version : 2011 wrinkles

Austin109
03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
What will teams bring to the table that we havent seen much of lately?

Personally I think:

1) Pro-set personnel ran out of the pistol. (FB,RB, TE, x2 WR)

2) Heavy shotgun (FB, TE, RB, x2 WR)

3) Wingbacks being used more extensively.

4) Misdirection making a comeback.

After a few years of offensive stagnation (minus a few teams) I expect a pretty decent amount of creativity to come out this year.

KT2000
03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I'll be looking for more of the Oregon and Nevada influences to creep in with some of the programs experimenting with the pistol and running shotgun option games.

The main things I've seen those two teams do a lot of that I haven't seen much of, if at all, at the high school level is the use of multiple RB depths to fully exploit the mesh angles.

Oregon often offsets two tailbacks to give a wishbone-type look with the quarterback. They also use the more conventional "flat" look for more horizontal meshes. I haven't seen the same mixing and matching of alignments at the HS level.

I like what Nevada does by setting the pistol back really deep at times, and then bringing him up to the "default" 3 yards behind the QB.

I like your #3 and #4. I'm waiting for #2, but I don't know if there are enough people out there still developing traditional power personnel.

Austin109
03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
I think you're dead on with the Oregon and Nevada offenses. I didn't even think of that.

The reason I think that the traditional power types might make a comeback is because it seems like everyone and their brother is a spread team now. More defenses are built to stop the spread with smaller and faster DB's and LB's.

Seems like the logical choice to either have a faster Pro-set (#1) or keep the spread look with a different personnel style (#2).

#2 might take a few more years to start taking hold but with NS and STP running shotgun rushing attacks with TE's and FB's with blocking WR's it seems that it might be starting already when copy cats start adopting it. All it would take is a playcall change to implement that type of O.

chhspantherfan
06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Pistol Spread Option becomes the rage!!!!

do i need to draw for y'all?

bowiedawgs01
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
What will teams bring to the table that we havent seen much of lately?

Personally I think:

1) Pro-set personnel ran out of the pistol. (FB,RB, TE, x2 WR)

2) Heavy shotgun (FB, TE, RB, x2 WR)

3) Wingbacks being used more extensively.

4) Misdirection making a comeback.

After a few years of offensive stagnation (minus a few teams) I expect a pretty decent amount of creativity to come out this year.

#1 was basically our base set last year. Instead of 4 yards deep like the Pistol, the QB was about 5. RB + FB (one of our starting LBs) + TE or 3WR.

That set with 3WR is what we scored the 66yd TD run on to clinch the Klein Collins game.

bowiedawgs01
06-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Just read KT's post.

Bowie's backs were at different depths. FB lined up beside the QB or a step in front of him. RB lined up behind the QB. When not using the FB, the RB would either be beside the QB, a step back, or behind.

Austin109
06-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Just read KT's post.

Bowie's backs were at different depths. FB lined up beside the QB or a step in front of him. RB lined up behind the QB. When not using the FB, the RB would either be beside the QB, a step back, or behind.

Was Bowie running a zone read type of offense? Usually that formation is based around the read or veer.

I personally like to use the pistol out of a pro formation just because you have the up tempo attack pace of a spread but the multiple attack lanes and blocking of a pro.

Right now Im infatuated with a pistoled wide set flexbone because of the lateral/options/sweeps/passing flexibility.

bowiedawgs01
06-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Here's a player's highlight film from last year. You can get an idea of the offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kALs6qEZyg

chhspantherfan
06-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Was Bowie running a zone read type of offense? Usually that formation is based around the read or veer.

I personally like to use the pistol out of a pro formation just because you have the up tempo attack pace of a spread but the multiple attack lanes and blocking of a pro.

Right now Im infatuated with a pistoled wide set flexbone because of the lateral/options/sweeps/passing flexibility.

and you add in the mesh angles that KT is talking about with more RB type personnel on the field at the same time and you have a good recipe for Wing T principled running attack and spread passing attack. The real issue is finding OL that can readily adapt to the different blocking principles. Can they pass block from a 3pt stance? Can they run block, fold, pull, and trap from a 2 pt stance? How do they handle the blitz? A lot of the success of the flexpistolbone will hinge on finding those linemen. The philosophy is great and I like all of the misdirection that can come from it. With all of the dual threat QBs and cross trained RB/WR types, it could be really explosive.

Austin109
06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
and you add in the mesh angles that KT is talking about with more RB type personnel on the field at the same time and you have a good recipe for Wing T principled running attack and spread passing attack. The real issue is finding OL that can readily adapt to the different blocking principles. Can they pass block from a 3pt stance? Can they run block, fold, pull, and trap from a 2 pt stance? How do they handle the blitz? A lot of the success of the flexpistolbone will hinge on finding those linemen. The philosophy is great and I like all of the misdirection that can come from it. With all of the dual threat QBs and cross trained RB/WR types, it could be really explosive.

Boots/very quick release/PA can help with that. Look at the top tier running teams O-lines. Trinity, RRSP, and Katy do a pretty good job mixing it up some.