PDA

View Full Version : Video on Team from Mesquite Going Through Boot Camp Style Training

mesquiteisd
03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Here's a link to a video on Mesquite Poteet's boot camp style start to spring football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnHDES373x8&tracker=False

It's certainly a different way to attack the spring drills.

ThEgReAtOnE
03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
MISD is preparing Poteet to send half its football team to the 7th Calvary. GARRYOWEN!!!! Thanks for the video... maybe MISD will prove to be smarter, if Poteet does well in 2011. NM and Horn will likely lead the MISD charge!

allendad
03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Well, I for one am digging it ! ! ! !

This is OLD SCHOOL football.
I mean, the "jar-head" isn't, but the
whole pushing yourself along side your
brother is old school like I remember.

I think a lot of coaches are afraid of
such barbaric practices.:eek:

You Go TEET ! ! !

I hope to see it all pay off for you.:yes::yes::yes:

KT2000
03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I wish someone would have filmed the off-season drills I was a part of. My parents would understand why I wasn't much of a use on Saturday (when there weren't practices) or Sundays from Jan-April and August-Dec. At least kids these days get to wear nice gear during workouts instead of the raggedy gray cutoffs we had.

ray1301
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I wish someone would have filmed the off-season drills I was a part of. My parents would understand why I wasn't much of a use on Saturday mornings from Jan-April and August-Dec. At least kids these days get to wear nice gear during workouts instead of the raggedy gray cutoffs we had.

Hear hear. Think about what it was like in the 70's. I still shudder at the words "Let's go behind the barn!". This meant we were heading behind the field house to rough it out with the briars, gravel, jagged chunks of brick and the dreaded "Hill"

KT2000
03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Hear hear. Think about what it was like in the 70's. I still shudder at the words "Let's go behind the barn!". This meant we were heading behind the field house to rough it out with the briars, gravel, jagged chunks of brick and the dreaded "Hill"

I distinctly remember whistle drilling for an entire practice session in full pads because someone left a wet sock on the locker room floor (rain practice). Aside from body builder days in off-season, I can't think of many tougher than the whistle drill day. It's the less glamorous aspects that stick with you.

ThEgReAtOnE
03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I would talk about the off-season programs I endured, but that would likely result in heavy-breathing, septic shock, and an eventual blackout. Kids, today, should consider themselves lucky that we live in a society that's hell bent on pampering them through the gates of teen-maturation.

Austin109
03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I remember having a full day of mat room drills because someone didnt wash their shirt.

At least up til 2008 I know the gray beater shirts were still going strong at Katy. Have they upgraded to clothes made in this century? On a side note my senior year's gray shirt was used by Rusty Bucy so that was kinda cool.

stinger
03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I remember days of doing sprints in a plowed field, or distance runs in the desert sand. Yep...the good ole days....

Bass
03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I was in band.

ThEgReAtOnE
03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I was in band.

Being in the band isn't the stereotypical-joke that many people take it to be. Some people call band members "band nerds", but it isn't very easy lugging around an instrumental (especially if heavy), for hours, in the hot (Texas) heat. And when you have a band director from hell - who is DEAD SERIOUS - about performance, he or she could make band practice look like a semi-boot camp, gone psycho!

Having said that, I'm a 'baller. Nothing in hs ever came close to the conditions of training and practice when I came thru Garland.

Redbird
03-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, I for one am digging it ! ! ! !

I hope to see it all pay off for you.:yes::yes::yes:

This.

dragonpants
03-11-2011, 07:26 AM
This.

Putting the physical improvements aside, this will make a team become more of a family unit and be closer from having gone through this together. It is amazing how much camaraderie and team chemistry is developed when a group accomplishes something together.

I think Ennis really screwed up by not grabbing Jackson. He was on the short list. Nothing against the guy they hired, he is a good coach but what this guy has done at Poteet in such a short time is amazing.