PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 2006- NEW BOWLS

garlandredraider
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Big 12 lost Indy Bowl, Tang.(champs) Bowl, and Ft. Worth Bowl... But GAINED Gator, Insight, and Sun bowls.

Big 12 bowl affiliates
2006 season
Projected payouts

BCS (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, BCS National Championship) - $17.8 million

Cotton (Dallas/Arlington) - $3 million

Gator (Jacksonville, Fla) - $2 million

Holiday (San Diego) - $2 million

Alamo (San Antonio) - $1.75 million

Sun (El Paso, Texas) - $1.575 million

Houston - $1.5 million

Insight (Phoenix) - $1 million

Big 12 eyes changes
By John Rohde
The Oklahoman

Later this week, Big 12 officials are expected to announce proposed changes in a bowl lineup that would bring new affiliations with the Gator, Sun and Insight bowls starting in the 2006 season.

If the Big 12 board of directors approves the changes, the Independence, Champs Sports (formerly the Tangerine) and Fort Worth bowls no longer would be affiliated with the conference.

As a result, the Big 12's new eight-bowl lineup would offer the following priority: BCS (vs. BCS), Cotton (vs. SEC), Gator (vs. ACC), Holiday (vs. Pac-10), Alamo (vs. Big Ten), Sun (vs. Pac-10), Houston (vs. SEC) and Insight (vs. Big Ten).

Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg confirmed in April the Gator, Sun and Insight bowls were among many bowls being considered for future conference affiliations.

New criteria set forth by the Big 12 bowl subcommittee included: No games before Christmas Day; bowls with larger payouts; more favorable ticket agreements; new conference opponents; easier destinations.

Appearances in the Gator, Sun and Insight could mean roughly $2 million in additional revenue for the Big 12 (see chart).

Sun Bowl executive director Bernie Olivas previously has said he would be willing to give up the No. 5 Big Ten pick for the No. 5 Big 12 pick to face the third-place Pacific 10 team, but Olivas said he would not be willing to drop lower than that.

Houston Bowl is in the final year of its sponsorship agreement with EV1.net and officials have said they expect to raise their $1.1 million payout.

cougardude
07-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I didn't think the Fort Worth Bowl was ever affiliated with the Big 12. Last year Cincinnati and Marshall played in it. :confused:

jtk1519
07-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I didn't think the Fort Worth Bowl was ever affiliated with the Big 12. Last year Cincinnati and Marshall played in it. :confused:

I believe it was for the Big XII #7 or #8 team... I cant remember which. The Big XII never had enough teams in bowls to send one to Ft. Worth.

pack0808
07-17-2005, 05:51 PM
there is way too many bowls and it is getting ridiculous. just like the uil adding teams in the hs playoffs the people that run college football have added a million bowls for revenue. it is always about the money!! when you have teams refusing to go to bowls and you have bowls like the micronpcbowl and the siliconvalleybowl it might be a sign that you have watered down the bowl system. it used to be an accomplishment to make it to a bowl but now all you have to do is be an average team to get in. i guess that is better then it will be next year in the highschool playoffs when we will have 3-7 teams making it. that is going to be a joke!!

lonny23
07-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I like the Sun Bowl idea, but it's going to turn into the Texas Tech Invitational when they're not real good. That's a cool stadium and I want to go to a game there, but I don't like driving 500 miles to get there. I know Tech and UH play UTEP out there this year, but I'm kinda burnt out going to El Paso 3 times in the last year!

GTown02
07-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Im always in El Paso during bowl week, so having a Big XII school play the Sun Bowl would be great! Hopefully they aprove it. :D

And I do agree that there are way too many bowl games, but thats not stopping me from watching as many as possible. :D

garlandredraider
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech actually plays UTEP next year.... this year we have our cupcake non-conference.