PDA

View Full Version : Katy - 35 , Pearland - 38 (Final)

Pages : [1] 2 3

talkaboutit
12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
What a game!!!

Austin109
12-04-2010, 04:14 PM
What a game!

Congrats to the Pearland Oilers! I was wrong in my analysis of your team. Represent Region 3 well and congrats again on a very well deserved win.

Now if I can only find this lounge place. I've never been there before :(

v2the4
12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
it was actually Pearland 38 Katy 35

so much for that "paper championship" with Katy vs Euless Trinity....wont happen this year..

Congrats to Coach Tony Heath and the Pearland Oilers for their third trip to the state semifinals, and first since the 2006 season.

DTOWNbred
wow impressive

fitz400
35-38'

tmcran
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Great game for Pland. Katy had great year..

talkaboutit
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes, 38 it was. My bad. WHO CARES? THEY BEAT KATY :heli:

TrojanHorse03
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh, :Censor:! Pearland ain't no joke!

SgtRey
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I called it: Pearland by 7 or less..

Oh, to the Katy fan that said that I'm usually wrong...Breakfast on me at Burger King in Katy.....CROWsandwhiches for you

There's no shame in loosing to PEARLAND Katy.

Great Season Katy!

I'd like to be the first to say....WELCOME TO THE LOOSERS LOUNGE KATY...:rofl:

62tiger
12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Congrats to Pearland. Great game. Rep R3 and win it all.

Very proud of this group of Katy Kids.

twcpfan1
12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Congrats to both sets of kids. Played their hearts out.

The fans dissing the ET and Coppell defense was probably ill advised. Teams tend to get harder to defend if they're decent, as was proven by PLand scoring 39.

PantherStang84
12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh, :Censor:! Pearland ain't no joke!

Newsflash: In round 4 and higher of the Texas HS playoffs, the pretenders have already been eliminated. All that is left are the cream of the crop teams.

SgtRey
12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Great Season Katy....awesome team. Good luck to all the seniors.:)

imj0257
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Trinity vs Pearland?

man down
12-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Pay attention coach Amond, see what a passing qb can do. Please send a coach to the baseball field to find us a qb. Good luck for the rest of the season P-Land. GO MUSTANG!

Austin109
12-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Trinity vs Pearland?

RRSP might have something to say about that.

TrojanHorse03
12-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Newsflash: In round 4 and higher of the Texas HS playoffs, the pretenders have already been eliminated. All that is left are the cream of the crop teams.

No newsflash at all, I was being smart-alec-y.

imj0257
12-04-2010, 04:26 PM
RRSP might have something to say about that.
DeSoto might have something to say to RRSP first :rolleyes:

LPack007
12-04-2010, 04:27 PM

S.A Wagner?!

Woodlander
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Is it now fair to say Pearland is the best team in Houston?

TrojanHorse03
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Trinity vs Pearland?

Or RRSP/Desoto vs. Pearland.

Katytigers74
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
congrats to the oilers well deserved and i wish them the best of luck the rest of the playoffs as for the tigers amazing game played and good luck to all the seniors.

NSStangs#1fan
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Pay attention coach Amond, see what a passing qb can do. Please send a coach to the baseball field to find us a qb. Good luck for the rest of the season P-Land. GO MUSTANG!

We shall see next season sir. I've heard nothing but good things about this up and coming class!;)

Congrats on the win PLand and good luck the rest of the way!

man down
12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't see why they shouldn't be.

kool_kat
12-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Turn on the news PS - Scotty is at The Rig right now kissing the ground and dancing around in his Cowboys jersey. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TrojanHorse03
Congrats to Katy and Pearland. Katy you have nothing to be ashamed of yet another good team.

HomeofChampions'06
Any other Katy fans out there? I want your opinion on why we didn't use a single timeout on that final drive. I'm baffled that the Tigers didn't try and run the ball and see if Pearland could stop it. 3 timeouts and a RB averaging right at 10 yds per carry looks pretty good to me. I respect the Katy coaches and their decisions all day long. The Tigers didn't get it done, but anyone think going straight to the pass was the best answer?

Great game Oilers!

Bass
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Is it now fair to say Pearland is the best team in Houston?

Yep. Katy really fell off offensively these past few games. Once they hit some resistance they never got going for a full half. Our defense did everything they could too. Offense just could never match their intensity.

man down
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
The upcoming class is awsome but so was Gibson a few years ago.

Austin109
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Any other Katy fans out there? I want your opinion on why we didn't use a single timeout on that final drive. I'm baffled that the Tigers didn't try and run the ball and see if Pearland could stop it. 3 timeouts and a RB averaging right at 10 yds per carry looks pretty good to me. I respect the Katy coaches and their decisions all day long. The Tigers didn't get it done, but anyone think going straight to the pass was the best answer?

Great game Oilers!

Not a clue. Not a clue with the 4th and 15 either. Or one of our DE's giving them another 4 downs at the 1 after having stopped them on 4th down.

It was uncharacteristic of Katy ball and Pearland did what great teams do. Seize the opportunities and make teams pay for their mistakes.

HomeofChampions'06
12-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Not a clue. Not a clue with the 4th and 15 either. Or one of our DE's giving them another 4 downs at the 1 after having stopped them on 4th down.

It was uncharacteristic of Katy ball and Pearland did what great teams do. Seize the opportunities and make teams pay for their mistakes.

Absolutely. Pearland took advantage on every opportunity possible. Everyone was saying that FG at the beginning of the game was worthless, but how big does it look now? Oilers stepped up to the plate big time today.

maxtor
12-04-2010, 04:43 PM

You are so right. Like;

8-4 Laport

9-4 Cy Falls

8-5 Aldine nimitz

9-4 Elsik

Blue63
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
What a heartbreaker Katy.......but the boys did well in representing the 19-5A and the entire Katy community. Good luck to all the senior boys in their future endeavors. :)

Great win Pearland! Now go out and bring the greater Houston area a state title! :heli:

rwilleby
12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
From the parking lot at Rice, I tip my hat to the Pearland Oilers.. Great game. I'll take my crow batter fried with cream gravy and a roll... To the losers lounge for me...

RedRage00
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Congrats to both sets of kids. Played their hearts out.

The fans dissing the ET and Coppell defense was probably ill advised. Teams tend to get harder to defend if they're decent, as was proven by PLand scoring 39.

Karma!

Congrats to Pearland. Sounded like it was just as epic as last nights Trinity-Coppell game!

hammerman
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
What a game!

I was in the stadium and thought Katy had it will their last score, but Pearland didn't quit and hit ANOTHER big play. Congratulations Pearland :notworthy now bring home the title.

Katy - You still represented 19-5A well so keep your head up - great season but too many mental errors today.

MRKatyDad
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Great Game Pearland. Took every opportunity Katy you. Trait of a great Team. Represent R3 well the next couple of weeks.:notworthy

Great season Katy. Well played - hard fought game. Hold your heads high. Nothing to hang your head about. Enjoy the Holidays and then start getting ready for next year.
Way to represent 19-5A :heli::yes:

pluf2
12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Hey BlakeJ.... what happened? You have been awfully quiet with the loss...
Remember I said ' If you get by Pearland' .... this was in conversation this morning about your posts indicating Katy will meet Trinity ....
Well, Cowboys say circle your wagons before you count the horses... evidently you thought you had it cush against Pearland...Not so it appears.

Undoubtedly another good game...

Austin109
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
You are so right. Like;

8-4 Laport

9-4 Cy Falls

8-5 Aldine nimitz

9-4 Elsik

Exactly. ;

10-4 Colleyville Heritage
10-3 Bowie
11-3 Cy-Woods
9-3 Stony Point

They should just get rid of playoffs. Teams that have lost before are making it!

pluf2
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Oh, and welcome to the losers lounge!

caveman
12-04-2010, 05:27 PM
The road to the state title still goes through Trinity.
I wasn't at the game, but hear Pearland earned it. I'm pulling for the Pearland Oilers and the Memorial Mustangs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vergon
12-04-2010, 05:32 PM
S.A Wagner?!

nope, SA Stevens. they dominated Wagner today

Austin109
12-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh, and welcome to the losers lounge!

Show us around? We've never been here. I figure with your 3 years experience in here you know all about the losers lounge :)

LPack007
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
nope, SA Stevens. they dominated Wagner today

That's my point.

ktCarl
12-04-2010, 05:38 PM

You think Coppell are pretenders? I saw them last night and I beg to differ.

HoustonKid
12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I was at the game as a neutral fan (meaning no real loyalty to either team) just pulling for Pearland because they are 24-5A.

Why did Katy go for it and not punt after the penalty and it was 4th and 15? That was a big mistake by the Katy coach. Punt, pin them deep like earlier in the game and maybe score again.

Why not feed the hoss of a running back like you did the drive before that took all of 45 seconds?

Pearland made Katy play from behind and they were not used to doing that. The last drive for Katy was not a drive of a champion team. Obviously. Nor was the last defensive series for Katy that of a champion. Again, obviously.

Go Pearland.

TigerHat
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Congratulations to Pearland on a great win.

HomeofChampions'06
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
You think Coppell are pretenders? I saw them last night and I beg to differ.

Agreed. Trinity had a wild one to deal with last night. I heard you were there, but never got up to seeing ya. I was sitting with allendad, slcbacker, and quite a few others. Do you think Trinity takes it all this year after what you saw last night?

KT2000
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Congrats to Pearland. They were the team with more big plays and with more sound fundamentals.

There are more talking points from this game than I care to type right now.

lil_cb_05
12-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Pay attention coach Aymond, see what a passing qb can do. Please send a coach to the baseball field to find us a qb. Good luck for the rest of the season P-Land. GO MUSTANG!

:notworthy

NSMustangProud
12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Congratulations Pearland...good luck the rest of the way! Sorry for your loss Katy...I know it's very disappointing!

tigerfan2010
12-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Congrats Pearland.

Redhoss
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Good job today Pearland. You did what you had to do. Kudos and now go Represent our Region well. Win it all Oilers. :yes:

lil_cb_05
12-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Going into the game I didn't think Pearland's defense was powerful enough to stop Katy's running game but they have something slightly better than power & that's speed. Donovan Young played great...broke a few long ones, ran over plenty of defenders, & got his touchdowns but Pearland's defense did fairly well @ containing him & forcing Katy to throw the ball early in the game.

Texas Bob
12-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Congratulations to Pearland on a great win.

What he said

RedRage00
12-04-2010, 06:36 PM
No one gave Pearland a chance except for Pearland fans. I love when the underdog pulls it out, especially over a great program like Katy.

Pearland should have a pretty easy game next week.

Dawg82
12-04-2010, 06:36 PM
You are so right. Like;

8-4 Laport

9-4 Cy Falls

8-5 Aldine nimitz

9-4 Elsik

Wrong on two counts at least...for a supposed stat guy, you seem to be lost. La Porte finished 9-3. Can't speak for the other teams. LP's errors killed them just like Katy's did today. The better team "today" between Pearland/Katy won.

Yellow Oiler
12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Don't know about anybody else, but I was SCARED TO DEATH when Katy got the ball with :47 sec. and 3 TIMEOUTS!!!!!!! I could see #22 gaining 8 to 12 yrds a pop and chain movement stopping the clock. Told my buddy we HAVE got to have a stop or it is all over.

Low and behold, Katy THROWS the ball 3 TIMES :eek:, with the result an interception!!!!!!!

Many, Many props to Katy, The Team, The City and The Community. Even giants stumble sometimes. They have way more hardware than PLand, but we are working on ours as fast as we can. Congratulations Katy seniors.

Jim

fitz400
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't know about anybody else, but I was SCARED TO DEATH when Katy got the ball with :47 sec. and 3 TIMEOUTS!!!!!!! I could see #22 gaining 8 to 12 yrds a pop and chain movement stopping the clock. Told my buddy we HAVE got to have a stop or it is all over.

Low and behold, Katy THROWS the ball 3 TIMES :eek:, with the result an interception!!!!!!!

Many, Many props to Katy, The Team, The City and The Community. Even giants stumble sometimes. They have way more hardware than PLand, but we are working on ours as fast as we can. Congratulations Katy seniors.

Jim

^ THIS!

100% how i felt! SCARED DY IS A BEAST!

85Roughneck
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
You are so right. Like;

8-4 Laport

9-4 Cy Falls

8-5 Aldine nimitz

9-4 Elsik I see you won the Miss Groundhog pageant again, good work! :)

KatyTigerDad0407
12-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Pearland1, oh Pearland1,

Even though no one took my offer on a Salt Grass steak, I'll be happy to meet you in Cowboys Stadium between games and buy you a meal. Your enthusiasm for your team has been unwavering for the past several years you have been on here. In good times and bad you have been a true Oiler fan. Congratulations on the win today. I will be pulling for Pearland the rest of the way. Well done Pearland.:notworthy

Go Oilers

Go Mustangs

85Roughneck
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Wrong on two counts at least...for a supposed stat guy, you seem to be lost. La Porte finished 9-3. Can't speak for the other teams. LP's errors killed them just like Katy's did today. The better team "today" between Pearland/Katy won. trust me Dawg, mackster knows your Bulldogs were 9-3. That's just his style. He can't stand the fact that R3 has bested his DF Dub teams here and there. that kinda stuff keeps mackster up at night. :)

... you really want to quiet ole' mackster, just ask him anything about X's and O's. you'll get nothing but crickets.

SWITCH1
12-04-2010, 06:58 PM
what a game!

Congrats to the pearland oilers! I was wrong in my analysis of your team. Represent region 3 well and congrats again on a very well deserved win.

Now if i can only find this lounge place. I've never been there before :(

thank you bro. See my thread on congratz to both teams! Switch1

ktCarl
12-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Agreed. Trinity had a wild one to deal with last night. I heard you were there, but never got up to seeing ya. I was sitting with allendad, slcbacker, and quite a few others. Do you think Trinity takes it all this year after what you saw last night?

Maybe. I'm terrible at picking future winners. I will say that in the last two R3 games I've seen stouter defenses than I saw in the Coppell/Trinity game. Wish I could have seen you guys.

kool_kat
12-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Karma!

Congrats to Pearland. Sounded like it was just as epic as last nights Trinity-Coppell game!

Except Trinity won and it was Coppell's turn

ktCarl
12-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I was at the game as a neutral fan (meaning no real loyalty to either team) just pulling for Pearland because they are 24-5A.

Why did Katy go for it and not punt after the penalty and it was 4th and 15? That was a big mistake by the Katy coach. Punt, pin them deep like earlier in the game and maybe score again.

Why not feed the hoss of a running back like you did the drive before that took all of 45 seconds?

Pearland made Katy play from behind and they were not used to doing that. The last drive for Katy was not a drive of a champion team. Obviously. Nor was the last defensive series for Katy that of a champion. Again, obviously.

Go Pearland.

The LOS was in no mans land. Too close to punt, too far away to kick a field goal. If Katy punted there and the ball went in the end zone it probably would have netted only 10-15 yds. Katy had no choice.

SWITCH1
12-04-2010, 07:04 PM
pearland1, oh pearland1,

even though no one took my offer on a salt grass steak, i'll be happy to meet you in cowboys stadium between games and buy you a meal. Your enthusiasm for your team has been unwavering for the past several years you have been on here. In good times and bad you have been a true oiler fan. Congratulations on the win today. I will be pulling for pearland the rest of the way. Well done pearland.:notworthy

go oilers

go mustangs

thank you! Your team is as advertized awesome and we will bring the trophy to h-town where it belongs see my new post on congratz to both teams. Your program is what we strived for! You all have great holidays and we will represent region 3 well! Switch1

85Roughneck
12-04-2010, 07:07 PM
The LOS was in no mans land. Too close to punt, too far away to kick a field goal. If Katy punted there and the ball went in the end zone it probably would have netted only 10-15 yds. Katy had no choice. I disagree a lil here ... there's always a choice. sometimesthe choice is back in August when you are teaching the game. The Tigers should always have a kicker that can put it through the uprights on kickoffs and a punter that can drop it where needed. the kicking game/special teams play is huge in this game. OK, that's my 2 cents on that. :)

BlakeJ
12-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Congrats to the Oilers. You took advantage of key given opportunities and capatalized.

All week I said Pearland was good enough to beat us but had faith that it wouldn't happen.

Good luck Pearland.

Humbling loss to say the least. :)

ktCarl
12-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I disagree a lil here ... there's always a choice. sometimesthe choice is back in August when you are teaching the game. The Tigers should always have a kicker that can put it through the uprights on kickoffs and a punter that can drop it where needed. the kicking game/special teams play is huge in this game. OK, that's my 2 cents on that. :)

Katy had no choice in this game with the personnel that they had.

HoustonKid
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
The LOS was in no mans land. Too close to punt, too far away to kick a field goal. If Katy punted there and the ball went in the end zone it probably would have netted only 10-15 yds. Katy had no choice.

Not so sure. You punt the play before and it was a touch back. 5 yard penalty in your favor so you take the penalty go for it and get sacked. I think Pland got the ball around the 40 or 45 after the sack instead of at the 20 if a touch back or further back if they down a punt. Also, the mo turned after a sack on 4th down.

Earlier in the game Katy punted and pinned Pland at their own 10. The O failed, almost a safety by Katy except the punter made a heck of a save and punt. Pland punt was bad plus the 15 yard penalty on Pland gave the ball to Katy inside the Pland 30 and Katy has a short drive and scores a TD.

I just saying I dont think it was a good call on 4th and 15. But I am no coach and my team was knocked out last week so what the heck.

85Roughneck
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Katy had no choice in this game with the personnel that they had today. FIFY and I concur. :)

cougmantx
12-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Just got in from the game...

First...Pearland you rocked today. What a team, what group of fans and what support. Seldom do you see that outside of just few programs.

All I can say was that I was wrong and y'all were right...take care of business going forward.

:notworthy:notworthy

HoustonKid
12-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Katy's stud running back had 238 yards today with and 8.8 yard average. I question again with 47 seconds left and all 3 time outs, why not run him and run him just like the previous scoring drive? The previous drive took 42 seconds and Katy ran it down Pearland's throat.

Just another what if for the Katy fans to think about.

tigerowl06
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Katy's stud running back had 238 yards today with and 8.8 yard average. I question again with 47 seconds left and all 3 time outs, why not run him and run him just like the previous scoring drive? The previous drive took 42 seconds and Katy ran it down Pearland's throat.

I did too, a little, but 42 seconds is not a lot of time. It probably wouldn't have mattered. I think Katy needed another 30 seconds or so to have a chance to make something of that possession. Our best bet would have been a play like that pass to the RB when Haack was going down. The back might have found some space. But again, long shot.

Raiders09
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Young was playing great today and I'm not sure why he wasn't given the ball more. But the play maker of the game was Pearland's QB, that kid would break away from a sure sack and then pass the ball down field, one of which lead to a TD. I was impressed with Pearland's QB, never gave up on a play and did his best to move the ball on the Katy defense.

tigerowl06
12-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Young was playing great today and I'm not sure why he wasn't given the ball more. But the play maker of the game was Pearland's QB, that kid would break away from a sure sack and then pass the ball down field, one of which lead to a TD. I was impressed with Pearland's QB, never gave up on a play and did his best to move the ball on the Katy defense.

Definitely the best thing the Oilers have going for them.

Kat-na-hat
12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Congrats to the Oilers, QB play is/was the difference maker in this game. I will have my crow pickled please. Go all the way Oilers and make this game mean something for those of us back to the usual grind.

FreshmanTiger
12-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Jim

Thanks...You guys are a very very good team. Just keep your eye on the prize and you guys should make it to state and when you get there...remember, all the work it took to get there, the years you fell short, and WIN for Houston. Good Luck Pearland!

maxtor
12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Wrong on two counts at least...for a supposed stat guy, you seem to be lost. La Porte finished 9-3. Can't speak for the other teams. LP's errors killed them just like Katy's did today. The better team "today" between Pearland/Katy won.

Sorry Dawg, it was a jab aimed at a couple of certain people. An inside joke kind of thing.;)

maxtor
12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I see you won the Miss Groundhog pageant again, good work! :)

So you DID get it? Youre catching on Rough.:D

maxtor
12-04-2010, 08:40 PM
trust me Dawg, mackster knows your Bulldogs were 9-3. That's just his style. He can't stand the fact that R3 has bested his DF Dub teams here and there. that kinda stuff keeps mackster up at night. :)

... you really want to quiet ole' mackster, just ask him anything about X's and O's. you'll get nothing but crickets.

You would have a point Rough if I made claims that required X's and O's.
Consistency and reason Rough. Try it some day.:D

maxtor
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I disagree a lil here ... there's always a choice. sometimesthe choice is back in August when you are teaching the game. The Tigers should always have a kicker that can put it through the uprights on kickoffs and a punter that can drop it where needed. the kicking game/special teams play is huge in this game. OK, that's my 2 cents on that. :)

LOL, where do you get those? The Sears catalog?

HoustonKid
12-04-2010, 08:47 PM
LOL, where do you get those? The Sears catalog?

Recruiting like they do at a lot of the other positions.

I crack myself up sometimes.

O, wait, there is no recruiting in Texas High School Football.

BlakeJ
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Recruiting like they do at a lot of the other positions.

I crack myself up sometimes.

O, wait, there is no recruiting in Texas High School Football.

:rolleyes:

ktCarl
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
:rolleyes:

He's just a kid.;)

ktCarl
12-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Not so sure. You punt the play before and it was a touch back. 5 yard penalty in your favor so you take the penalty go for it and get sacked. I think Pland got the ball around the 40 or 45 after the sack instead of at the 20 if a touch back or further back if they down a punt. Also, the mo turned after a sack on 4th down.

Earlier in the game Katy punted and pinned Pland at their own 10. The O failed, almost a safety by Katy except the punter made a heck of a save and punt. Pland punt was bad plus the 15 yard penalty on Pland gave the ball to Katy inside the Pland 30 and Katy has a short drive and scores a TD.

I just saying I dont think it was a good call on 4th and 15. But I am no coach and my team was knocked out last week so what the heck.

Katy didn't have the punter to execute what you think they should have done. Haack should have thrown the ball away. Also, Katy's LOS would have to be at the 10-15 yd line to attempt a field goal. They HAD to punt.

BlakeJ
12-04-2010, 09:38 PM
One last thing...not sure if it was mentioned....

#99 for Pearland is a class act. I have the utmost respect for the kid.

I almost teared up when I saw him come all the way to the Katy sideline to console #24 (Katy)...sit down with him and comfort him. That was impressive....and very classy. :notworthy

pluf2
12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Show us around? We've never been here. I figure with your 3 years experience in here you know all about the losers lounge :)

Who has 3 years experience.. I joined this forum in September and have been watching/reading ever since... Just thought it would be fun to stick BlakeJ b/c of his high and mightiness thinking he was going to meet ET in the finals.....LOL....

So after our loss last night, I found the lounge earlier today when someone posted a great scene of it on the beach, spanish barmaids/singers, and beer on the house .... quite invigorating !!!:heli:

HomeofChampions'06
12-04-2010, 09:41 PM

I almost teared up when I saw him come all the way to the Katy sideline to console #24 (Katy)...sit down with him and comfort him. That was impressive....and very classy. :notworthy

That is what it means to be a champion. :notworthy

Yellow Oiler
12-04-2010, 09:49 PM

I missed that, but I expect some of the Katy Players would have done the same if the score was flipped. It is a credit to both of our coaches to teach the kids to play the game this way.

Jim

BlakeJ
12-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I missed that, but I expect some of the Katy Players would have done the same if the score was flipped. It is a credit to both of our coaches to teach the kids to play the game this way.

Jim

There are good and bad on both teams. I was impressed by #99 and a couple of others...there were 2 players on the field who didnt show the same respect...one for each team. Im sure you know exactly who I am talking about.

I was very impressed with the respect Coach Heath showed Katy all week long in the media. Seems like every year we get a coach who comes and says "We aint afraid of Katy...blah blah blah." Heath was very respectable and it showed in 99% of the kids on the field today. :)

NSStangs#1fan
12-05-2010, 01:24 AM

Great game Oilers!

I scratched my head on this as well... with three TOs I felt they could have at least picked up enough yardage to tie the game && send it into OT. In fact I felt the tigers should have kept it on the groun 97% of the time. Even tho PL knew the run was coming they had trouble stopping it. Oh well could've would've should've never won anyone anything.

Great season Tigers! Look forward to seeing u nxt yr! Wk 0 be there && be PULVERIZED! :D

mike03car
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Salt Grass steak

First experienced their restaurant in Arlington last month. Very good.

Gateruner
12-05-2010, 11:49 AM

We were wondering the same thing. Then with 8 seconds left why not use the time outs then? Take a knee and call time out! It could have been done and who knows what will happen. We weren't happy with the last minute of the game. Lots to second guess.

marmer
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Here's a Pearland fan wondering that too. There are a lot of guys on this board who know a lot more than I do, but my guess is that the Pearland secondary was playing so deep and was so fast that DY would have been swarmed because the secondary could come in to get him instead of chasing him. Sure, he probably would have gained 10-15 yards but carrying three or four guys trying to bring him down would have wasted precious seconds without much yardage to show for it. 10-15 yards, maybe even twice, wouldn't have gotten them to confident field goal range. Miss a FG, game over. Complete a big pass, you win. Percentage wise they needed to be throwing for the sidelines. At least that's my read on it, certainly willing to be corrected.

Gateruner
12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Here's a Pearland fan wondering that too. There are a lot of guys on this board who know a lot more than I do, but my guess is that the Pearland secondary was playing so deep and was so fast that DY would have been swarmed because the secondary could come in to get him instead of chasing him. Sure, he probably would have gained 10-15 yards but carrying three or four guys trying to bring him down would have wasted precious seconds without much yardage to show for it. 10-15 yards, maybe even twice, wouldn't have gotten them to confident field goal range. Miss a FG, game over. Complete a big pass, you win. Percentage wise they needed to be throwing for the sidelines. At least that's my read on it, certainly willing to be corrected.

With 3 time outs you have options. We acted like our only option is the sideline pattern and elect not to use time outs. I don't like any part of the final 2 minutes as far as Katy's coaching and the players execution went. Definitely wasn't championship caliber from either.

Oh well. Maybe we will see you guys next year. For reasons that are better off not said here I will be pulling for the north from here on.

Austin109
12-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Well it makes some sense. You drop the ball and time stops. You catch it and its a bigger gain. Pearlands D hadn't shown a whole lot of signs that they could intercept and they didn't. It was a converted offensive player who made INT and he was probably told from the begining to go for the ball.

They trusted in Haack's arm. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

KT2000
12-05-2010, 01:03 PM

I thought Katy's first play should have been the screen they tried on second down. Katy's RB had a lot of green space in front of him had he and the QB been able to connect. Pearland was ripe for screen type plays all game, but Katy didn't use any. It's tough any time you ask the offense to drive 80 yards and win a game with 40 seconds left. Katy gained the winning margin late, and couldn't preserve it with the defense.

The mistake Katy made early in the game on offense was not being as direct and quick hitting as it needed to be in the running game. Pearland could not stop Katy whenever the Tigers got through the hole quickly. The plays Pearland stopped were the ones Katy took too long to get through the hole.

mojo4life
12-05-2010, 01:51 PM
I thought Katy's first play should have been the screen they tried on second down. Katy's RB had a lot of green space in front of him had he and the QB been able to connect. Pearland was ripe for screen type plays all game, but Katy didn't use any. It's tough any time you ask the offense to drive 80 yards and win a game with 40 seconds left. Katy gained the winning margin late, and couldn't preserve it with the defense.

The mistake Katy made early in the game on offense was not being as direct and quick hitting as it needed to be in the running game. Pearland could not stop Katy whenever the Tigers got through the hole quickly. The plays Pearland stopped were the ones Katy took too long to get through the hole.

It's over move on..

KT2000
12-05-2010, 01:55 PM
It's over move on..

Thanks for the enlightenment.

BlakeJ
12-05-2010, 02:06 PM
It's over move on..

Still haven't figured out what your motive is of late.

You sound like a bitter old lady.

mojo4life
12-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Still haven't figured out what your motive is of late.

You sound like a bitter old lady.

lol no ...I just read a couple posters from Katy tell ALL of us for Pearland not to come out posting excuses if they lose.............

I like the katy boys and most of trhe posters..

RedRage00
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Is there a replay of this game anywhere online?

rwilleby
12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
lol no ...I just read a couple posters from Katy tell ALL of us for Pearland not to come out posting excuses if they lose.............

I like the katy boys and most of trhe posters..

Did we post excuses?

rwilleby
12-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Monday night film...

Favpack
12-05-2010, 05:11 PM
From my radio perspective it sure seemed Katy was doing everything possible to move the ball, however, it's awfully hard to ask HS kids to perform a 2 minute drill in 40 seconds.

dada
12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Ok....I have a question.....not an "excuse" but an observation. On the last drive.....Pearland went for it on 4th down....it appeared to be short.....was was the PLAYER allowed to re-spot the ball? Or was it the tears clouding my vision and I really didnt see that?:)

HSftball10
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Great game Oilers!
Awesome game!! As I thought, if we came out with intensity and passion we would give Katy a game. I also think that Miles Knaipes proved my point that size doesn't matter. I was very impressed with Katy, the team, fans and band. However, I believe at the end it came down to experience and what I mean by that is game situation experience. Unfortunately for Katy, your games don't usually come down to the final seconds. Pearland has been in these situations three times (Clear Springs, Memorial and Brazoswood) this year and never once panicked. Although I did, our boys seemed to have the confidence that they would make the play even after two consecutive false starts, in which all the credit goes to the Katy fans and band. You guys are loud!
Even after we scored, I felt that you guys had plenty of time :49 seconds and three time outs to stay within your game plan. Taylor is an awesome runner when given space, as he proved on the one kick-off return. Mistake on our part. We should have seen him backing up and kicked away from him. Katy went to the normal pass situation when I believe should have attempted a couple of delayed draws with only three on the DL. I'm glad that you guys didn't!! At the least, I felt you guys would have had a chance for an attempt at a tying field goal. But this was a game situation that Katy doesn't see much of. Well, no doubt you guys have an awesome coach and if Katy is ever in this type of situation, he'll not panic and stick to your strenth and run.
Again, great game from both teams! This game and the one I watched (Trinity and Coppell) Fiday night is why I feel high school football is much more exciting than college and pro ball!

Let's go Pearland and whatever we do we MUST take the next game serious and not look ahead. It's been said that Stevens is one of the weaker teams left in the playoffs, so they'll be out to prove them wrong!

Favpack
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok....I have a question.....not an "excuse" but an observation. On the last drive.....Pearland went for it on 4th down....it appeared to be short.....was was the PLAYER allowed to re-spot the ball? Or was it the tears clouding my vision and I really didnt see that?:)

Was not there, but the radio announcers I was tuned in to kept saying over and over that Pearland got a bad spot and clearly made the first down.

RedRage00
12-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Monday night film...

I'll be there! :D

HtownFan
12-05-2010, 05:33 PM

The Legacy Sports Network just tweeted that they have it online and here it is... http://www.legacysportsnetwork.com/Audio/katy-pearland.mp3

I checked TSRN but they don't have it on there. From what I read in the Saturday updates thread they had a bunch of technical difficulties. Besides those TSRN announcers aren't any good. These guys from Legacy are pretty decent.

dada
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Was not there, but the radio announcers I was tuned in to kept saying over and over that Pearland got a bad spot and clearly made the first down.

From where the refs spotted it....it was close.....short IMO, then the WR re-spotted it.

twcpfan1
12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
From where the refs spotted it....it was close.....short IMO, then the WR re-spotted it.

the TSRN announcers were Katy homers. They said the Oilers made the first down easily but got a bad spot.

brazoswoodbuc01
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
the TSRN announcers were Katy homers. They said the Oilers made the first down easily but got a bad spot.

Why do you hate Katy so much?

I find your post funny but have alwasy wondered why you hate Katy so much

HtownFan
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

That's weird because if they were homers, which I don't doubt, I would think they would say that the spot wasn't fair to Katy.

dada
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Maybe that was the case....if another ref comes in and re-spots the ball, no big deal...just odd to see the ref spot the ball, then the WR pick it up and re-spot it.

dada
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

See TWCP1.....he's not even a Katy fan and he see's it! lol:)

twcpfan1
12-05-2010, 05:46 PM

I wasn't trying to be funny. The dude with the redneck accent was openly cheering for Katy. But that's what they said. I wasn't there so I couldn't tell if they were blind or lying.

As to your 1st question, I really don't know. But whatever the reason is, I'm sure it's something shallow and immature. :D

TrustySB
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Now I sit all in dismay,

I posted here how we would win the day.

I sat at this keyboard ranted and raved,

How your team would be end up depraved.

Your Offense was week, your Defense was porous,

at the end of the game your team would be scoreless.

I even gave numbers to backup my claim,

so once it was over you'd have nowhere to blame.

Was it our turn overs or special teams,

did we not execute our tremendous schemes?

No, in the end your team was better this day,

and now I have a HUGE dept to pay.

With foot in mouth and eating humble pie,

I must admit how rude I was with mud in my eye.

You are gracious and cordial stating my team had done well,

I know all too well you wish that I would go to :Censor:.

Your team is Great, of this I'll remember,

but MAN I can't wait until next September!

Congratulations Pearland, best of luck to you.
Thanks Katy for a great season. I'll be rooting for you from the stands again next year.

twcpfan1
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
That's weird because if they were homers, which I don't doubt, I would think they would say that the spot wasn't fair to Katy.

Maybe it's possible for homers call a game with some semblance of fairness.

dada
12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
How many 4th downs did Pearland convert? 4? That's what won the game.

HtownFan
12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe it's possible for homers call a game with some semblance of fairness.

I would suggest listening to the link I posted with a replay of the game. I think these guys called the game right down the middle.

brazoswoodbuc01
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I wasn't trying to be funny. The dude with the redneck accent was openly cheering for Katy. But that's what they said. I wasn't there so I couldn't tell if they were blind or lying.

As to your 1st question, I really don't know. But whatever the reason is, I'm sure it's something shallow and immature. :D

I'm not a huge fan of Pearland. Will be tough for me to cheer for them in the state game.

Being in a district with them has been tough on Brazoswood. They are good but they love to tell you about it a bit much. Their team this year is special though.

HtownFan
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
How many 4th downs did Pearland convert? 4? That's what won the game.

I thought I remember 2 being converted but I could be wrong.

twcpfan1
12-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I would suggest listening to the link I posted with a replay of the game. I think these guys called the game right down the middle.

Technical difficulties aside, they actually did or at least made the effort to. The old dude (he sounded old) couldn't help himself in the end though when Katy took the lead and then when Pearland took it back with their final score.

dada
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I thought I remember 2 being converted but I could be wrong.

Garrison scored on a 4th and goal...TWICE I think
There was a 4th and long that resulted in a sack, but a facemask penalty gave Pearland a 1st down.
And the 4th and 6 on the last drive.

ANY stop on one of those and it's ball game IMO

HtownFan
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Technical difficulties aside, they actually did or at least made the effort to. The old dude (he sounded old) couldn't help himself in the end though when Katy took the lead and then when Pearland took it back with their final score.

Yeah. He sounds like an old man. I've come to find that when there is an alternative to TSRN for the same game I listen to the alternative whether it's Woodlands radio, 790AM, Legacy, or the guy from in the bay area.

Rook
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey BlakeJ.... what happened? You have been awfully quiet with the loss...
Remember I said ' If you get by Pearland' .... this was in conversation this morning about your posts indicating Katy will meet Trinity ....
Well, Cowboys say circle your wagons before you count the horses... evidently you thought you had it cush against Pearland...Not so it appears.

Undoubtedly another good game...

I have seen him and many other Katy posters all over these threads admitting they were wrong and acknowledging their errors in judgment.

Rook
12-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Katy had no choice in this game with the personnel that they had.

I disagree, they faced a similar dilemma several times. Ball around mid-field just finishing second down. Success is the place where preparation meets opportunity. These scenarios should have been scripted.

Katy Back avg 10 per carry
Katy D only playing tough inside the redzone
Ball at midfield (+/- 10)
Less then 8 yds for 1st down

Prior to 3rd down the decision should have been made that they were in 4 down territory. Katy runs the ball on 3rd and If after 3rd down Katy is w/in 3-4 yds of 1st down they go for it.

I felt like going for it was a coin flip at that spot (after the penalty) not having prepared for it.

I said go for it too.

Pearland1
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I wish I could find a place where I could get the video of this game.

Rook
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM

I disagreed when it was happening and I disagree now. Katy should have run the football in that scenario or at the very least attempted to throw at the soft spot (middle of the field). I spoke w/ several TxHSCoaches after the game, two of which have won at least one state championship (that were spectators at this game) and they all said the same thing, it was way to early to start throwing to the sideline.

Katy was 1 of 6 with and INT over the last drive, that out route is a difficult throw for a high school kid.

Katy had the ball on the 35, they would have needed 45 yds to get w/in realistic FG range (the 20). First downs stop the clock, or did Katy Coaches fail to realize that after their gaffu at the end of the first half? Katy lines up in a Star or Port (twins) to the wide side and runs back to the short side/Katy sideline w/ Young or Taylor. Now you have three ways to stop the clock TO, sideline, or First Down. Katy plays for OT, then you ask yourself which team played better in the redzone?

Katy got beat they did not lose. Pearland made the plays to win and Katy did not. Having said that I still feel like if Katy forces OT Pearland still finds a way to win.

Rook
12-05-2010, 06:41 PM
It's over move on..

MOJO is over...has been for a longtime.

This is a thread about Katy and Pearland and that is exactly what he is talking about.

Oiler1313
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I was sitting on about the 40 yard line where that play was made, and it was clear to me that Kanipes caught the ball and crossed the first down mark by about a yard and the official moved the ball back so it was about even with the first down marker. I thought he easily crossed it, and we were about to get screwed on the mark and not get the first down. Fortunately, the mark was far enough anyway, but it was a terrible spot by the referee.

HoustonKid
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM

From my vantage point it looked like it the kid had the first down and the ref spotted the ball well short of where it should have been placed. It did not matter because the chains came out and it was a first down.

Yellow Oiler
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I disagreed when it was happening and I disagree now. Katy should have run the football in that scenario or at the very least attempted to throw at the soft spot (middle of the field). I spoke w/ several TxHSCoaches after the game, two of which have won at least one state championship (that were spectators at this game) and they all said the same thing, it was way to early to start throwing to the sideline.

Katy was 1 of 6 with and INT over the last drive, that out route is a difficult throw for a high school kid.

Katy had the ball on the 35, they would have needed 45 yds to get w/in realistic FG range (the 20). First downs stop the clock, or did Katy Coaches fail to realize that after their gaffu at the end of the first half? Katy lines up in a Star or Port (twins) to the wide side and runs back to the short side/Katy sideline w/ Young or Taylor. Now you have three ways to stop the clock TO, sideline, or First Down. Katy plays for OT, then you ask yourself which team played better in the redzone?

Katy got beat they did not lose. Pearland made the plays to win and Katy did not. Having said that I still feel like if Katy forces OT Pearland still finds a way to win.

BOLD: Exactly Rook. I was shaking in my boots for several reasons. 1st, :47 sec and 3 time-outs. 2nd, Katys last drive for a TD took less than a minute I think. 3rd, it looked like the Katy O line was wearing on the PLand D line, and begining to push them around. Like you say Rook, run sweeps to the short side of the field and get out of bounds or first down and stop the clock with chain movements. I haven't seen this mentioned before, maybe someone can add a little, I did not have a good view of this play.

On PLands last kick-off, the ball appeared to be heading out of bounds and a Katy player came running up and grabbed it on a bounce heading out of bounds. At least that is how it appeared to me and the folks around my group. If he had let it go, and it went out of bounds, wouldn't there have been a penalty?? Maybe only 5 or 10 yards, but every little bit helps.

Jim

Pearland1
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
BOLD: Exactly Rook. I was shaking in my boots for several reasons. 1st, :47 sec and 3 time-outs. 2nd, Katys last drive for a TD took less than a minute I think. 3rd, it looked like the Katy O line was wearing on the PLand D line, and begining to push them around. Like you say Rook, run sweeps to the short side of the field and get out of bounds or first down and stop the clock with chain movements. I haven't seen this mentioned before, maybe someone can add a little, I did not have a good view of this play.

On PLands last kick-off, the ball appeared to be heading out of bounds and a Katy player came running up and grabbed it on a bounce heading out of bounds. At least that is how it appeared to me and the folks around my group. If he had let it go, and it went out of bounds, wouldn't there have been a penalty?? Maybe only 5 or 10 yards, but every little bit helps.

Jim

The ball would have gone out of bounce at 30 yard and I think if it goes out you start at the 30 anyways so it would have not matter.

The Original
12-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Pearland. Will be tough for me to cheer for them in the state game.

Being in a district with them has been tough on Brazoswood. They are good but they love to tell you about it a bit much. Their team this year is special though.

C'mooon man, you can't even cheer for a town that is in your own county?? :D

Gator4ever
12-06-2010, 12:03 AM
It's Pearlands time to celebrate and take pride in the season so far. Again they have won another playoff game and look to San Antonio and see if they will continue to Dallas.

It's all pearland for region three as the best team won Saturday. Time now to look forward to seeing Pearland go up against region four as our representative and a well deserved rep they are. They are the best team in region three.

mojo4life
12-06-2010, 12:16 AM
It's Pearlands time to celebrate and take pride in the season so far. Again they have won another playoff game and look to San Antonio and see if they will continue to Dallas.

It's all pearland for region three as the best team won Saturday. Time now to look forward to seeing Pearland go up against region four as our representative and a well deserved rep they are. They are the best team in region three.

exactly. MAN THESE KATY FANS ARE MAD.

Pearland1
12-06-2010, 12:22 AM

I told them that Pearland was going to score 42 points against them and they told me I was crazy!!!! 38 was pretty close.

ray1301
12-06-2010, 07:54 AM
exactly. MAN SOME OF THESE KATY FANS ARE MAD.

Not all of us. Upset Katy lost, yes. Pulling for Pearland to go and win state, yes!

Anybody can sit here and pick apart the game. It is what it is and Pearland came out on top. They made the plays when they should. Pearland has the type of offense that will give teams like Katy and Trinity fits.

So anybody that thinks all Katy fans are sitting around crying and mad, they just really do not know the most of the Katy Nation.

mossad
12-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Not all of us. Upset Katy lost, yes. Pulling for Pearland to go and win state, yes!

Anybody can sit here and pick apart the game. It is what it is and Pearland came out on top. They made the plays when they should. Pearland has the type of offense that will give teams like Katy and Trinity fits.

So anybody that thinks all Katy fans are sitting around crying and mad, they just really do not know the most of the Katy Nation.

That was a great game, both coaches made good calls, too me this was the state game, there is no football likeHouston Area football, there is too much talent, one thing for sure yall both have very verygood coaches

Squirrel88
12-06-2010, 08:01 AM
All I have to say is...

Katy, welcome to Division 1. It's not quite as easy as D2.

mossad
Dickinson will gladly accept a special teams coach to come to our town and coach, maybe we will get passed the2nd round!:notworthy can we have the running backs coach or the kicking coach??

ray1301
All I have to say is...

Stupid statement.

Squirrel88
12-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Stupid statement.

But it's true.

dada
12-06-2010, 08:10 AM
But it's true.

Yep, the only reason the WR caught the ball with 44 secs left is because Pearland's student enrollment was higher.

twcpfan1
12-06-2010, 08:11 AM
It would seem like we're more civilized here in H-Town. I just checked out the Coppell - ET post game thread. I hadn't read it for a while until I saw it had been locked. Holy crap. It was on for young and old through and all of DFW in that one. Not just the ET and Coppell fans. And to think the really bad posts had apparently already been deleted :D

ray1301
12-06-2010, 08:11 AM
But it's true.

Wrong

Squirrel88
12-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Yep, the only reason the WR caught the ball with 44 secs left is because Pearland's student enrollment was higher.

All I am saying is that D1 is harder than D2, because you have all of the higher enrollment schools. I have a questions for you. If Katy had went D2, would they have won another state title? I really don't see anyone that would have been capable of defeating Katy in D2.

Squirrel88
12-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Wrong

You know what they say about opinions.

Dawg82
12-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Very good game with two talented programs. The crowd was fantastic, weather was perfect, and I've always enjoyed Rice stadium.

I made an early prediction after being able to observe 3 talented squads (Pearland, Katy & NS). If Katy still has a film night tonight, I'd enjoy getting some feedback. PM would be fine. Thanks. :)

Oh, and GO REGION 3! (This includes the lower classification groups nearby...)

Gateruner
12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
All I have to say is...

Honestly, I wouldnt expect this from a North Shore fan, A Cinco fan yes, but not you. Whatever.

Here it the rub, The Katy Nation is sitting here thinking we didnt play our best game and lost. Frankly, I have no problem losing to a better team but I have a hard time swallowing a loss that you feel you didnt perform your best.

Pearland won and made the big plays to do so. No taking that away from them. Doesnt mean I like how the players or their coaches went about doing it so I will be pulling for the North from here on. Reminded me to much of the cocky Miami teams for me to jump on the Pears bandwagon.

da hawaiian
12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
It would seem like we're more civilized here in H-Town. I just checked out the Coppell - ET post game thread. I hadn't read it for a while until I saw it had been locked. Holy crap. It was on for young and old through and all of DFW in that one. Not just the ET and Coppell fans. And to think the really bad posts had apparently already been deleted :D

I couldn't believe it myself. Very ugly

But back to this game. Being a front runner is a tough place to be. Getting everybody's best shot. Luck plays a big part in matchups like this. Not luck was why a team wins, but luck for just one thing to go right that tips the balance in an even game.

I will admit, was rooting for Katy. Congrats Pearland, I'm sure I'll be seeing you in DFW on the 18th, whether Trinity makes it or not.

dada
12-06-2010, 08:24 AM
All I am saying is that D1 is harder than D2, because you have all of the higher enrollment schools. I have a questions for you. If Katy had went D2, would they have won another state title? I really don't see anyone that would have been capable of defeating Katy in D2.

Katy is Katy...I know it sounds cliche....but their football program numbers are bigger than most schools with higer enrollments. D1/D2 isnt a factor until playoff time. It's easy to look at D2 and say "Yeah, that would have been easier", but when you're in the regional finals and you make mistakes against good teams, you can lose. Trust me....if Katy would have held on the final 3 minutes, beat Pearland, and ran through Stevens, there would be threads about how "Different" Memorial is now and Steele was the best Team in Region 4 and Malcom Brown would have ran all over Katy. I understand people have been waiting forever to see Katy fail, understandable, but saying it's because they were D1 is the easy way out. Pearland simply played BETTER.....has nothing to do with how many kids are on the basketball team, in the band, etc. Pearland converting 3 or 4 4th downs to keep drives alive had NOTHING to do with them being D1.....Trey Anderson escaping a sure sack had NOTHING to do with them having more kids at their school. Maybe I'm in the minority, but if it was all about D1 D2....why isnt Plano East more successful? They have almost 6,000 kids. For me to sit here and say, Katy would have won State if they went D2, is bitter and looking for excuses....On December 4th 2010, Pearland made more big plays than Katy....that simple......even if both schools had 100 kids enrolled.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:32 AM

You werent seeing things....that was the same kid who was jacking his jaw all game....99.9% of the Pearland kids won with class.

My favorite play....DY hurdles the same kid (he plays CB as well)...runs for 10 more yards before being tackled by the safety....the kid comes running up the field after he picked himself off the floor to DY talking smack and clapping his hands in his face. That was some funny stuff. He got embarrassed.

Pearland1
12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Katy is Katy...I know it sounds cliche....but their football program numbers are bigger than most schools with higer enrollments. D1/D2 isnt a factor until playoff time. It's easy to look at D2 and say "Yeah, that would have been easier", but when you're in the regional finals and you make mistakes against good teams, you can lose. Trust me....if Katy would have held on the final 3 minutes, beat Pearland, and ran through Stevens, there would be threads about how "Different" Memorial is now and Steele was the best Team in Region 4 and Malcom Brown would have ran all over Katy. I understand people have been waiting forever to see Katy fail, understandable, but saying it's because they were D1 is the easy way out. Pearland simply played BETTER.....has nothing to do with how many kids are on the basketball team, in the band, etc. Pearland converting 3 or 4 4th downs to keep drives alive had NOTHING to do with them being D1.....Trey Anderson escaping a sure sack had NOTHING to do with them having more kids at their school. Maybe I'm in the minority, but if it was all about D1 D2....why isnt Plano East more successful? They have almost 6,000 kids. For me to sit here and say, Katy would have won State if they went D2, is bitter and looking for excuses....On December 4th 2010, Pearland made more big plays than Katy....that simple......even if both schools had 100 kids enrolled.

You are correct DaDA great post.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I have seen him and many other Katy posters all over these threads admitting they were wrong and acknowledging their errors in judgment.

Not to mention I was alot more RIGHT than alot of Katy posters.

Atleast I acknowledged that Pearland could beat Katy and wasnt going to be held to ridiculously low amount of points.

Guess it comes with the territory. To many softies on the board.

dragonsdaddy
12-06-2010, 08:35 AM
the d1-d2 debate oscillates back and forth. unless and until the uil fixes it, you'll have to live with the nincompoops who think it matters. slc's one d1 trip meant they won in "the big" school division all the while being smaller than the small school division winner. go figure.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
MOJO is over...has been for a longtime.

This is a thread about Katy and Pearland and that is exactly what he is talking about.

She's a hater.

I figured that out awhile back.

She's said these 2 things in the same thread....

"Pearland will win this game...not sure why...blah blah blah."

"I thought Katy would win this game but knew they would lose to Trinity in the final....blah blah blah."

Sounds to me like someone is jealous of a program that stole that 80's magic from her beloved Black and White.

Theyre all over...people have been waiting 10 years for a Katy D1 loss. Gaurantee our hater #1 from a little north wet his pants when the gun sounded....but he's been halfway decent...which kind of sucks because he was on his way to a ban. :yes:

dada
12-06-2010, 08:40 AM
the d1-d2 debate oscillates back and forth. unless and until the uil fixes it, you'll have to live with the nincompoops who think it matters. slc's one d1 trip meant they won in "the big" school division all the while being smaller than the small school division winner. go figure.

D1/D2 works for or against your opinion........great message board banter.
I think it's used more as an excuse by Annual D1 teams who don't win it......you will always assume you would have done better in what is now the "Weaker" division....it becomes weaker after you're eliminated from the other one. Katy and SLC both have D1 and D2 titles, so IMO, it's irrelevant...especially when I see a "D2" school like Katy having more Sr's on the roster than some teams(West Brook) has players on the roster.

Pearland1
You werent seeing things....that was the same kid who was jacking his jaw all game....99.9% of the Pearland kids won with class.

My favorite play....DY hurdles the same kid (he plays CB as well)...runs for 10 more yards before being tackled by the safety....the kid comes running up the field after he picked himself off the floor to DY talking smack and clapping his hands in his face. That was some funny stuff. He got embarrassed.

Are you talking about the #10 who score the touchdown pass that was almost over his head?

BlakeJ
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I was sitting on about the 40 yard line where that play was made, and it was clear to me that Kanipes caught the ball and crossed the first down mark by about a yard and the official moved the ball back so it was about even with the first down marker. I thought he easily crossed it, and we were about to get screwed on the mark and not get the first down. Fortunately, the mark was far enough anyway, but it was a terrible spot by the referee.

What do you think of him respotting the ball for the ref? IMO...thats a 15 yard penalty.

E-Vol-ution
12-06-2010, 08:42 AM

It's not an enrollment thing.......but honestly, anybody should admit
that having teams like Pearland and North Shore on a slate is a more formidable task than the past couple of years formatted.
Of course Katy can beat these teams, but not on a subpar day and a more competitive matchup is more likely even on a good one.
Some people do delight in seeing Katy lose, but I for one wanted to see Katy going against a tougher slate of teams...........
This takes nothing away from Katy being one of the best teams in the state.....but more formidable teams were definitely on the menu this year.

Pearland1
12-06-2010, 08:43 AM
I think the ref spoting the ball was on Katy's pocket:)

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Jim

IMO...our coaches or atleast the guy calling the offensive plays choked...got nervous...something. I was devastated when the game ended and we had 2 timeouts on the board. :(

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Lady....come on now. Get real. We just lost a tough game. I realize that it's been a long time since you've been in a game like this...but dont take that out on us.

You have really had nothing to contribute to the convo...its obvious what you are doing here. Come on now.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
All I have to say is...

Bitter

da hawaiian
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM

+1

Always the voice of reason

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:51 AM
It's not an enrollment thing.......but honestly, anybody should admit
that having teams like Pearland and North Shore on a slate is a more formidable task than the past couple of years formatted.
Of course Katy can beat these teams, but not on a subpar day and a more competitive matchup is more likely even on a good one.
Some people do delight in seeing Katy lose, but I for one wanted to see Katy going against a tougher slate of teams...........
This takes nothing away from Katy being one of the best teams in the state.....but more formidable teams were definitely on the menu this year.

100% agree with everything said here.

Gateruner
12-06-2010, 08:53 AM
IMO...our coaches or atleast the guy calling the offensive plays choked...got nervous...something. I was devastated when the game ended and we had 2 timeouts on the board. :(

Had 3 timeouts. Never used any. Dont understand that at all. At the very least call a time out on 4th down and talk about how to get a first. Befuddled me for sure.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Had 3 timeouts. Never used any. Dont understand that at all. At the very least call a time out on 4th down and talk about how to get a first. Befuddled me for sure.

You're right...I was thinking about the timeout used before the first half.

Everything about that drive...drives me crazy. But I guess...thats why they are coaches and Im tyoing on a keyboard. Its hard to second guess a group who has been so succesful.

Favpack
12-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Are you talking about the end of the game or first half?

The best overall coaches are sometimes the worst at clock mgt. Our hc has botched a lot of TO's in the past 5 years - and it's no coincidence we've lost most of those games.

brerrabbit
12-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Honestly, I wouldnt expect this from a North Shore fan, A Cinco fan yes, but not you. Whatever.

Here it the rub, The Katy Nation is sitting here thinking we didnt play our best game and lost. Frankly, I have no problem losing to a better team but I have a hard time swallowing a loss that you feel you didnt perform your best.

Pearland won and made the big plays to do so. No taking that away from them. Doesnt mean I like how the players or their coaches went about doing it so I will be pulling for the North from here on. Reminded me to much of the cocky Miami teams for me to jump on the Pears bandwagon.

Sorry you feel that way. I was not at the game unfortunately so I cannot comment on what you considered to be the way the coaches and players at Pearland did whatever it is they did. I have seen every game they played this year other than this one and have seen very little of anything that would be considered rude or cocky. They have celebrated yes, they have done that a lot, however; when you win at least 4 of your 14 games in the last minute of the game as Pearland has this year you have reason to celebrate. One of the intangibles that I never spoke of in the hype leading up to the game but I feel made the difference this week was that Pearland starters were forced to play to the end of more than a few games this year. What that means is they had experiece at it, they had stamina for it. It was not unfamiliar territory to them. Katy dominated a lot of opponents and as a result were probably sitting their starters by the fourth quarter with the exception on the NS game. Pearland's starters got little or no rest till the two weeks prior to the Katy game.

ktCarl
12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by

All I have to say is...

Aw, c'mon SQ88. You know ya'll didn't like us in D1 this season. :cool:

Bitter

NSMustangProud
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Bitter

Bitter? Why?

dada
12-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Listening to sports Radio 610....they are calling it "University of Katy vs Pearland State"......ND Kalu saying concessions were crazy....lol saying Rice and UH would kill for that crowd. Said they are upset that #86 from Pearland is leaving the state going to Boise and either one of Katy's rb's could be playing in a BCS bowl THIS year(even though Adam Taylor is a soph..lol)
Others in attendance, Andre Johnson, Frea Weary, Bubba McDowell, Eric Winston, just to name a few.

twcpfan1
12-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Are you talking about the end of the game or first half?

The best overall coaches are sometimes the worst at clock mgt. Our hc has botched a lot of TO's in the past 5 years - and it's no coincidence we've lost most of those games.

I imagine knowing how to manage the end of close games would be helped by being in a few of them. If most of your games are blowout games, it could hurt in the end particularly if you've pulled your starters out early in most if not all previous games.

slcdragonfan
12-06-2010, 09:57 AM

+1

The better the team you play, the more perfect your play must be. Week in and week out, year in and year out, eventually you come up short. EVERYBODY has a game with errors at some point, esp in the playoffs. The better the team you are playing, the more chance it kills your run.

And for the most part, EVERYONE whose team has lost feels that they didn't play their "best" game.

tigerbd
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
What do you think of him respotting the ball for the ref? IMO...thats a 15 yard penalty.
Here is what I thought I saw on that play. #10 made the catch, got up with the ball, took it over to the ref who had the spot marked, placed it at the refs foot, but on the wrong side, and the ref moved it.

Nothing there is a delay of the game. The ball was not spotted by one ref and then moved by a player.

Film review could prove me wrong, but that is want I thought I saw.

HoustonKid
12-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Here is what I thought I saw on that play. #10 made the catch, got up with the ball, took it over to the ref who had the spot marked, placed it at the refs foot, but on the wrong side, and the ref moved it.

Nothing there is a delay of the game. The ball was not spotted by one ref and then moved by a player.

If the kid put it anywhere near the Ref's foot, he put it was well short of where it should have been placed. It does not matter, but the Ref made a bad spot.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Maybe you are right. I did see him upset with the ref on the spot...I remember him spotting the ball himself and acting a fool while doing so. he was rather amusing all day to watch...like a circus.

tigerbd
12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
If the kid put it anywhere near the Ref's foot, he put it was well short of where it should have been placed. It does not matter, but the Ref made a bad spot.

The spot was good enough for a first down. That was all that mattered. I was just pointing out that I did not think the player did anything wrong.

tigerbd
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Here is my opinion on the diference in the game. It is just my opinion.

When Pearland offense HAD to make plays, they got the ball into the hands of their playmakers, Anderson, Garrison, Kanipes, and Ukwuachu. The last TD drive was a pass to Garrison, pass to Kanipes, and a pass to Ukwuachu. Garrison only had 20 yards rushing in the second half, most of which came after the face mask penalty when the ball was marked at the 11, so they got him the ball on a pass. Going into the last posession, the QB already had 6 completions for 120 yards in the half.

When Katy offense needed to make plays in the second half, they got the ball to their playmakers, Young and Taylor. They combined for about 224 yards on 27 carries. The Katy QB had 2 completions and 2 sacks in the second half before the last posession. The 4th qtr scoring drives for Katy covered 35 yards in 30 seconds (all runs) and 95 yards in 2:45 (all runs with only one pass to the flats) and using no time outs. With only 47 seconds left but with all 3 time outs, Katy took the ball away from their play makers and asked the QB and wide receivers to win the game. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but was the Katy leading receiver hurt and out of the game on the last series?

Katy's QB is a very good player and ran the Katy offense very well all season, but he is not a drop back passer and has not been all season.

I realize that 47 seconds is not a lot of time, but with the defense playing prevent and only needing a FG to tie, why take the ball away from the best playmakers?

slcdragonfan
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM

When Pearland offense HAD to make plays, they got the ball into the hands of their playmakers, Anderson, Garrison, Kanipes, and Ukwuachu. The last TD drive was a pass to Garrison, pass to Kanipes, and a pass to Ukwuachu. Garrison only had 20 yards rushing in the second half, most of which came after the face mask penalty when the ball was marked at the 11, so they got him the ball on a pass. Going into the last posession, the QB already had 6 completions for 120 yards in the half.

When Katy offense needed to make plays in the second half, they got the ball to their playmakers, Young and Taylor. They combined for about 224 yards on 27 carries. The Katy QB had 2 completions and 2 sacks in the second half before the last posession. The 4th qtr scoring drives for Katy covered 35 yards in 30 seconds (all runs) and 95 yards in 2:45 (all runs with only one pass to the flats) and using no time outs. With only 47 seconds left but with all 3 time outs, Katy took the ball away from their play makers and asked the QB and wide receivers to win the game. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but was the Katy leading receiver hurt and out of the game on the last series?

Katy's QB is a very good player and ran the Katy offense very well all season, but he is not a drop back passer and has not been all season.

I realize that 47 seconds is not a lot of time, but with the defense playing prevent and only needing a FG to tie, why take the ball away from the best playmakers?

Haack is capable of throwing the ball. If he is not a drop back passer it is because he has not practiced being one, he is certainly capable from what I saw last year in the Abilene game, a very impressive performance considering the circumstances.

dada
12-06-2010, 11:27 AM

The play that was open(screen to adam taylor) was there but we missed it......Still you have to give credit to Pearland. I agree....47 seconds and 3 timeouts with the middle of the field open and either back in the open field could have put us in FG range. But, it is what it is.....Pearland out played us.

DragonFan0316
12-06-2010, 11:36 AM
This was a real shocker to read about. Congrats to both teams for making it to the quarter finals. Good job Pearland.

tigerbd
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
The play that was open(screen to adam taylor) was there but we missed it......Still you have to give credit to Pearland. I agree....47 seconds and 3 timeouts with the middle of the field open and either back in the open field could have put us in FG range. But, it is what it is.....Pearland out played us.

I do not think Katy players were outplayed on the last posession. It may not have changed the outcome, but I think not giving the ball to Young and Taylor on the last drive with 3 time outs was a mistake.

Also, Haack my have the skills to be a very good drop back passer, but he was not asked to do that all season and the last 2 times he tried before the last posession, he got sacked. Not a real confidence builder.

How many times has Katy run a screen pass this year? A roll out into the flat maybe, but a screen? Over a 6'5" DE? It might have been a good call at the time, but it had not been a staple of the offense. I am trying to remember one, and I can't.

I think the coaches either outsmarted themselves or paniced.

The bread and butter plays for Katy this year seemd to be the paired plays where Haack lines up, reads the defense, makes the call, hands off, and (sometimes) leads the blocking.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I just realized that Dallas beat Indy 38-35 this weekend as well.

Talk about rubbing it in the face. :mad:

dada
12-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I do not think Katy players were outplayed on the last posession. It may not have changed the outcome, but I think not giving the ball to Young and Taylor on the last drive with 3 time outs was a mistake.

Also, Haack my have the skills to be a very good drop back passer, but he was not asked to do that all season and the last 2 times he tried before the last posession, he got sacked. Not a real confidence builder.

How many times has Katy run a screen pass this year? A roll out into the flat maybe, but a screen? Over a 6'5" DE? It might have been a good call at the time, but it had not been a staple of the offense. I am trying to remember one, and I can't.

The bread and butter plays for Katy this year seemd to be the paired plays where Haack lines up, reads the defense, makes the call, hands off, and (sometimes) leads the blocking.

Taylor scored on the same play, from the same spot on the field against Strake....Vernon also scored on that play a few times. But yes, I was a little shocked that we didnt run the ball on that drive......

dada
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I just realized that Dallas beat Indy 38-35 this weekend as well.

Talk about rubbing it in the face. :mad:

Like I said yesterday...you still have time to change the baby's name.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Like I said yesterday...you still have time to change the baby's name.

Im going to name him Trey. :eek::D

Redhoss
12-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Exactly my thoughts. Try to get big yardage against a soft D and put yourself in position to get a field goal to tie at a minimum. If you manage to get close enough with time left, take a shot into the zone for the win but at least tie the game and play in OT when the clock doesn't matter.

Redhoss
12-06-2010, 12:52 PM
All I have to say is...

Squirrel, that's possibly true in any given year. I remember a few years back when a school in Southlake was Div. 2 and they were pretty good. :cool:

brerrabbit
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
In my very first post on this forum I complained about the Pearland coaching staff and it's lack of time management and inability to get plays in before the 25 second clock ticked down. We got a little better during the year because we had to. Three games were won with less than a minute to play on long drives resulting in touchdowns. Our offense is geared to do that, a spread with a good QB. Our starters played into and through the fourth quarter all year because they had to most weeks. Pearland was practiced at it in a real world scenario. They knew they could do it because they had done it before. Some of the Katy Coaching's actions on Saturday, (play selections, time management, even though they had three left at the final gun, and game management) in that final drive looked like they had not practiced or considered the need for it. No slam against them as every football team I ever played on had a two minute drill and practiced it some each week, but the difference here seemed to be that since Katy had run over everybody this year except for NS last week this team had never experienced a real game test of the less than a minute drill. And it's not just a test for the players on the field but also for the coaches in the booth and on the field as well. At the end of the day these teams were evenly matched and it came down to a team needing to make a fourth quarter drive with very little time on the clock. One team was forced to do it this year, the other was not. As a result the team that practiced it the most in games won this game.

Oiler1313
12-06-2010, 01:14 PM

I'll be honest, I didn't see that. I was too worried about the spot the ref put the ball down after the play. I might have respotted the ball too if I could get down on the field. It was a terrible spot by the ref from my vantage point.

KT2000
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
In my very first post on this forum I complained about the Pearland coaching staff and it's lack of time management and inability to get plays in before the 25 second clock ticked down. We got a little better during the year because we had to. Three games were won with less than a minute to play on long drives resulting in touchdowns. Our offense is geared to do that, a spread with a good QB. Our starters played into and through the fourth quarter all year because they had to most weeks. Pearland was practiced at it in a real world scenario. They knew they could do it because they had done it before. Some of the Katy Coaching's actions on Saturday, (play selections, time management, even though they had three left at the final gun, and game management) in that final drive looked like they had not practiced or considered the need for it. No slam against them as every football team I ever played on had a two minute drill and practiced it some each week, but the difference here seemed to be that since Katy had run over everybody this year except for NS last week this team had never experienced a real game test of the less than a minute drill. And it's not just a test for the players on the field but also for the coaches in the booth and on the field as well. At the end of the day these teams were evenly matched and it came down to a team needing to make a fourth quarter drive with very little time on the clock. One team was forced to do it this year, the other was not. As a result the team that practiced it the most in games won this game.

Katy's been in more big game situations as a program than most in the state. Championship teams make championship plays, and Katy couldn't get it done this time.

The best team won, and moves on to the next challenge. Well done to Pearland.

brerrabbit
12-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Agreed that Katy has been there many times before but as we all know kids graduate and move on. I was not meaning this to be about the overall program but rather this years group of coaches working with this years players. It seems so small an issue but in the end small issues are what the game boiled down to.

tigerfan2010
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
The majority of that defense has played in two State Championship games, have a State Ring. Katy has played in the last 3 State Championships, so this is the quickest exit that most of these kids have had in their HS playing days.

dada
12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
The majority of that defense has played in two State Championship games, have a State Ring. Katy has played in the last 3 State Championships, so this is the quickest exit that most of these kids have had in their HS playing days.

For the Sr's...yep....they were in the title game during Frosh, Soph and Jr years. and a handful of them started as sophomores in the 2008 title game.

KT2000
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Agreed that Katy has been there many times before but as we all know kids graduate and move on. I was not meaning this to be about the overall program but rather this years group of coaches working with this years players. It seems so small an issue but in the end small issues are what the game boiled down to.

Katy lost some of its fundamental sharpness after peaking in Week 10. Everybody peaks and plateaus at some point, but the key is to maintain fundamentals throughout the process and avoid a significant regression.

Katy showed certain weaknesses defensively against Alief Taylor, Houston Memorial, Cy Fair and the second North Shore meeting that Pearland was able to fully exploit. At other times, Katy showed a tendency to lull offensively. This is why I spent a good portion of last week talking about how Pearland could cause Katy problems. Also, Katy never quite figured out its special teams this year after starting brilliantly against North Shore.

In my opinion, the tightness of the game didn't get to Katy. Katy's lack of fundamental awareness in key areas is what made the difference. It is all about fulfilling potential. Pearland is a very sharp football team that's getting the most out of its talent. Katy couldn't quite get there.

Rook
12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I told them that Pearland was going to score 42 points against them and they told me I was crazy!!!! 38 was pretty close.

Yep it was close.

Rook
12-06-2010, 03:13 PM
All I have to say is...

Hey Genius Katy is 8-1 all time in the D1 playoffs...choke on that. Obviously Katy's record in the D1 Playoffs is better than it is in D2. HMMMM

Rook
12-06-2010, 03:21 PM

8-1 that is Katy's record in D1 playoff games. What is NS's? Did you know Katy has a 75% winning percentage against NS? Ouch.

Dawg82
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Katy lost some of its fundamental sharpness after peaking in Week 10. Everybody peaks and plateaus at some point, but the key is to maintain fundamentals throughout the process and avoid a significant regression.

Katy showed certain weaknesses defensively against Alief Taylor, Houston Memorial, Cy Fair and the second North Shore meeting that Pearland was able to fully exploit. At other times, Katy showed a tendency to lull offensively. This is why I spent a good portion of last week talking about how Pearland could cause Katy problems. Also, Katy never quite figured out its special teams this year after starting brilliantly against North Shore.

In my opinion, the tightness of the game didn't get to Katy. Katy's lack of fundamental awareness in key areas is what made the difference. It is all about fulfilling potential. Pearland is a very sharp football team that's getting the most out of its talent. Katy couldn't quite get there.

Agree. The game was actually lost based on the 4 games prior and trends. I hate to clutter up this thread, but does anyone on the board have more info on Stevens? (I've asked in the Pearland vs Stevens thread.) Thanks.

Rook
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM

Here is an impressive stat to consider in the D1 and D2 debate: SLC and Katy, the two schools that are arguably considered the two best D2 programs over the past 20 years are a combined 14-1 with two titles in the D1 playoffs. Combined 3 trips resulting in 2 titles.

Favpack
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
You guys kill me. When you have a good team year in and year out - you win some and you lose some.

Katy wins a heck of a lot more than it loses in the PO's. Katy and Lufkin had two very good teams in 2005 and both got beat by one of the greatest teams in HS history in the semi's and finals, respectively.

Lufkin could have easily had 3 titles in the past decade - or none. Katy could have had 2 or 6 - with a few breaks separating most games in the final 4.

A break here or there and Katy beats P'land and - no offense - would be playing STP or ET in Dallas in two weeks. The 4th down play before the final td was converted by a few inches.

Yes, D1 was much harder this year than D2, but the 2007 squad of Katy would have won either handily. Conversely, the 2008 team might not have beaten Allen or ET.

D1 was also loaded in 2006, but could any of them stopped Will Cole and CH?

These are fun questions for message boards - but really mean nothing at the end of the day.

dada
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
You guys kill me. When you have a good team year in and year out - you win some and you lose some.

Katy wins a heck of a lot more than it loses in the PO's. Katy and Lufkin had two very good teams in 2005 and both got beat by one of the greatest teams in HS history in the semi's and finals, respectively.

Lufkin could have easily had 3 titles in the past decade - or none. Katy could have had 2 or 6 - with a few breaks separating most games in the final 4.

A break here or there and Katy beats P'land and - no offense - would be playing STP or ET in Dallas in two weeks. The 4th down play before the final td was converted by a few inches.

Yes, D1 was much harder this year than D2, but the 2007 squad of Katy would have won either handily. Conversely, the 2008 team might not have beaten Allen or ET.

These are fun questions for message boards - but really mean nothing at the end of the day.

Correct....looking back...Katy is about two plays away from playing in 5 straight title games.
2006 Goal line stance by Cy-Falls as time ran out
2007 State Champs
2008 State Champs
2009 State Runner ups
2010 Pearland scored with 47 seconds left

Most teams would KILL to have that.....13-1 to some teams is reason to celebrate. 13-1 is a dissappointment for Katy....I know it's not gonna last for ever, so I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. And the scary thing is......Katy will return their first 3 year starter at QB(actually got snaps as a frosh in 08).....4 offensive lineman and a 1500 yard rusher who is still filling out his 6'1/6'2 Frame.....

Cant win them all......still a great season, nothing to be ashamed of about this past Saturday.

Rook
12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Lady....come on now. Get real. We just lost a tough game. I realize that it's been a long time since you've been in a game like this...but dont take that out on us.

You have really had nothing to contribute to the convo...its obvious what you are doing here. Come on now.

Ha Ha Ha...that's funny yet true

Favpack
12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Correct....looking back...Katy is about two plays away from playing in 5 straight title games.
2007 State Champs
2008 State Champs
2009 State Runner ups

Most teams would KILL to have that.....13-1 to some teams is reason to celebrate. 13-1 is a dissappointment for Katy....I know it's not gonna last for ever, so I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. And the scary thing is......Katy will return their first 3 year starter at QB(actually got snaps as a frosh in 08).....4 offensive lineman and a 1500 yard rusher who is still filling out his 6'1/6'2 Frame.....

Cant win them all......still a great season, nothing to be ashamed of about this past Saturday.

Jeffreys? I didn't realize he had that many yards. How many did Donnovan have?

Rook
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by

All I have to say is...

Aw, c'mon SQ88. You know ya'll didn't like us in D1 this season. :cool:[/QUOTE]

No No remember he said, "win or lose they wanted another shot at Katy" Pfffft Now all of a sudden since Katy is 8-1 in D1 Playoff games it isn't easy. Does he realize one of the teams Katy sent home this season was D1 NS (twice).

cougmantx
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks and I agree. There are those that will take any oppertunity to throw a jab at Katy by what ever means they can.

The facts are the facts...Katy lost, Pearland won...they move on...we don't. If I was a betting man I would put money Katy will be back.

Rook
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Maybe you are right. I did see him upset with the ref on the spot...I remember him spotting the ball himself and acting a fool while doing so. he was rather amusing all day to watch...like a circus.

Little man's complex.

I thought it was funny when I saw him pick up the loose ball in the endzone and run across the endzone and stand there and stare at the Katy Fans like he had just won the midget weight title fight.

My 5 year old daughter asked me why he did that, at that point I had to explain to her what class was.

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Jeffreys? I didn't realize he had that many yards. How many did Donovonn have?

I think he is talking about Sophomore RB Adam Taylor.

cougmantx
12-06-2010, 04:03 PM

No, Jefferys play FB this year and still racked up some yards but he is talking about Adam Taylor our sophmore RB that racked up the 1500 yards playing 2nd. The kid will be something to watch the next two years.

Rook
12-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Can anyone shed some light on how JT was injured?

Favpack
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I think he is talking about Sophomore RB Adam Taylor.

Ok, thanks. No. 28 I'm assuming - yeah, he's got some skills to build on.

rwilleby
12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I just laugh at the haters... Fact is Pearland was the better team on Saturday and won the right to advance... We choked and get to stay home... I'm okay with that and look forward to 2011 where I hope we get to play them all again... The cycle continues...

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
2007 State Champs
2008 State Champs
2009 State Runner ups

Most teams would KILL to have that.....13-1 to some teams is reason to celebrate. 13-1 is a disappointment for Katy....I know it's not gonna last for ever, so I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. And the scary thing is......Katy will return their first 3 year starter at QB(actually got snaps as a frosh in 08).....4 offensive lineman and a 1500 yard rusher who is still filling out his 6'1/6'2 Frame.....

6 if you count next year! :D

SV61
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I just laugh at the haters... Fact is Pearland was the better team on Saturday and won the right to advance... We choked and get to stay home... I'm okay with that and look forward to 2011 where I hope we get to play them all again... The cycle continues...

If they had ONLY used a Mac....................................

:D

Mong Hu
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Katy lost some of its fundamental sharpness after peaking in Week 10.

The game almost always comes down to fundamentals. I noticed on the 71 yard TD to Kanipes that the DB seemed to misjudge the ball and took a poor angle, fundamentals. On the 50 yard TD to UK two KT defenders had Anderson in their grasp but if you notice the poor angle taken by KT's Dlineman, fundamentals, on the contain rush allowing the PL QB to step back and forcing the Dlineman to leave his feet (another fundamental mistake) and take out the blitzing LB and another Dlineman. All that resulting from poor fundamentals. The first Dlineman never got as deep as the QB on his contain rush and that set into motion the series of events that lead to the TD. I can tell you that Dlineman are taught not only at KT but at highschools around the country how to contain the QB. This is football 101 and he just made what would seem the slightest of errors, only turning in on the QB a yard are two early but it cost dearly. In games against competition like PL it is amazing how the littlest things can make all the difference.

Ultimately I think that the Katy D played pretty well on all but three plays (39% of PL's Offense came on 5% of their plays or put another way 165 of their 422 total yards came on just three plays) and against a team like PL that makes all the difference. (Holding a back like Garrison with a line like that under 100 yds. is excellent) And to tell you the truth it would really be only two of the three plays. I thought on the last TD Katy's D played well and they got beat by a better kid. So really the difference came down to two mistakes, a poor angle by a DB and a poor contain rush by the DLineman.

The Katy O was outstanding. DY averaging 9.3 yd/carry is amazing. Having two backs over 100 yards (DY over 200) is a crazy stat to have in any game much less a game against a team like PL. PL needs to do something about that run D or it may bite them this week or next. After watching little clips (if anyone ever finds a link to the entire game I would be most appreciative) I think the Katy O-line really pushed PL around.

In regards to the play calling on the last drive I can tell you that in any loss their are always mistakes made and they are not all made by the kids on the field. It is easy to second guess but I think the Katy coaches have earned the right to make those calls.

cougmantx
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM

yes sir, I agree! :notworthy

rwilleby
12-06-2010, 04:10 PM
If they had ONLY used a Mac....................................

:D

Amen brother! I had my iPad in the stands and was drawing out plays for the staff... But they told me after the game that they had a virus and all they could do was pass... Dang PC's... :Censor:

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Ok, thanks. No. 28 I'm assuming - yeah, he's got some skills to build on.

I think I read an earlier post this season where KT2K compared him to a Jammal Charles in the making. He definitely needs to grow up a little bit, but I think by his senior year he could be running after some Katy records and a state championship.

dada
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Adam Taylor....soph. Listed at 6'1 190(is bigger than that)
Young 258-2332 yards 35 TD
Taylor 158-1531 yards 20 TD

cougmantx
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
The game almost always comes down to fundamentals. I noticed on the 71 yard TD to Kanipes that the DB seemed to misjudge the ball and took a poor angle, fundamentals. On the 50 yard TD to UK two KT defenders had Anderson in their grasp but if you notice the poor angle taken by KT's Dlineman, fundamentals, on the contain rush allowing the PL QB to step back and forcing the Dlineman to leave his feet (another fundamental mistake) and take out the blitzing LB and another Dlineman. All that resulting from poor fundamentals. The first Dlineman never got as deep as the QB on his contain rush and that set into motion the series of events that lead to the TD. I can tell you that Dlineman are taught not only at KT but at highschools around the country how to contain the QB. This is football 101 and he just made what would seem the slightest of errors, only turning in on the QB a yard are two early but it cost dearly. In games against competition like PL it is amazing how the littlest things can make all the difference.

Ultimately I think that the Katy D played pretty well on all but three plays (39% of PL's Offense came on 5% of their plays or put another way 165 of their 422 total yards came on just three plays) and against a team like PL that makes all the difference. (Holding a back like Garrison with a line like that under 100 yds. is excellent) And to tell you the truth it would really be only two of the three plays. I thought on the last TD Katy's D played well and they got beat by a better kid. So really the difference came down to two mistakes, a poor angle by a DB and a poor contain rush by the DLineman.

The Katy O was outstanding. DY averaging 9.3 yd/carry is amazing. Having two backs over 100 yards (DY over 200) is a crazy stat to have in any game much less a game against a team like PL. PL needs to do something about that run D or it may bite them this week or next. After watching little clips (if anyone ever finds a link to the entire game I would be most appreciative) I think the Katy O-line really pushed PL around.

In regards to the play calling on the last drive I can tell you that in any loss their are always mistakes made and they are not all made by the kids on the field. It is easy to second guess but I think the Katy coaches have earned the right to make those calls.

It really became apparent in the 3rd and 4th quarters that the O-line was winning the battle of the trenches...

As far as the coaches play calling, I'm with you on that, I gotta figure they knew something we didn't but it did seem to go against what had been working.

That horse is dead, I'm moving on. :(

rwilleby
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Amen to this...

cougmantx
12-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Adam Taylor....soph. Listed at 6'1 190(is bigger than that)
Young 258-2332 yards 35 TD
Taylor 158-1531 yards 20 TD

Yea, Taylors yards per carry average was better...the kid is going to be something special I think...already is in my book.

I want to give a special shout out to Vernon...

I have loved watching this kid. He has done everything asked of him by this team. He's played special teams, RB, DB, FB and puts everything he has into all the positions he's played. If I'm sorry about any one thing it's that he is leaving. I wish the kid the best of everything. He's one of the classest, most unselfish people around and I for one am very proud of this young man.

KT2000
12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I think I read an earlier post this season where KT2K compared him to a Jammal Charles in the making. He definitely needs to grow up a little bit, but I think by his senior year he could be running after some Katy records and a state championship.

I didn't compare him to Charles. I think he's an Adam Taylor in the making. :) I have no accurate Katy comparison to go by for this guy.

dada
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Yea, Taylors yards per carry average was better...the kid is going to be something special I think...already is in my book.

I have loved watching this kid. He has done everything asked of him by this team. He's played special teams, RB, DB, FB and puts everything he has into all the positions he's played. If I'm sorry about any one thing it's that he is leaving. I wish the kid the best of everything. He's one of the classest, most unselfish people around and I for one am very proud of this young man.

Exactly....Vernon is a warrior.
Was the leading rusher in 08 as a soph before injuring his shoulder in the 1st district game
Played Defense his Jr Year
Played FB his SR year

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I have loved watching this kid. He has done everything asked of him by this team. He's played special teams, RB, DB, FB and puts everything he has into all the positions he's played. If I'm sorry about any one thing it's that he is leaving. I wish the kid the best of everything. He's one of the classiest, most unselfish people around and I for one am very proud of this young man.

Vernon Jefferies is what Katy Tiger football is all about.

dada
12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I didn't compare him to Charles. I think he's an Adam Taylor in the making. :) I have no accurate Katy comparison to go by for this guy.

Size and Speed....he's gonna be scary.

Rook
12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Amen brother! I had my iPad in the stands and was drawing out plays for the staff... But they told me after the game that they had a virus and all they could do was pass... Dang PC's... :Censor:

Hey, easy there...easy.

rwilleby
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey, easy there...easy.

Ha! I know someone who can fix them though... :notworthy

Rook
12-06-2010, 04:25 PM

I'd say he should get the Career TD and Rushing record if he stays healthy.

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 04:27 PM

My mistake. :o I'll just say that I think Taylor will be as good as Charles was in high school at PA Memorial...if not better. ;)

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I'd say he should get the Career TD and Rushing record if he stays healthy.

Agreed.

Rook
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM

He reminds me of Dean's speed and Jatzalu's power, vision and balance.

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 05:37 PM

Vernon Jefferies is what Katy Tiger football is all about.

THIS!!

There was nothing worse than seeing him in tears on Saturday afternoon. :(

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 05:38 PM
He reminds me of Dean's speed and Jatzalu's power, vision and balance.

Is there any video of this dude anywhere...would love to see some clips of him and Aston.

Rook
12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Is there any video of this dude anywhere...would love to see some clips of him and Aston.

I think I have some VHS :)

BlakeJ
12-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I think I have some VHS :)

VHS....is that a tv channel?

TheRocket
12-06-2010, 06:18 PM
What a game this was, I truly enjoy just reading what others have to say about the games played and not often do I respond myself, this game was to big to not respond! Katy, without a doubt, was a good football team. There fans are as good as it gets in football, at any level, college or the NFL. On the other hand, Pearland is right there with them when it comes to fan support. There's really know way to measure how many wins have come about because of fan support but you can bet games have been won with the fans being a huge contributing factor.

I thought and like I told my friend when we went to the game, I hope we (Pearland) win the toss and take the ball down the field and score a TD right away, at the least score a field goal. The thought being we had to make Katy play from behind since they probably aren't used to playing from behind, also to set a tone making Katy's defense believe they wouldn't be able to stop Pearland on offense. When we did score a field goal on that opening drive a few people around us groaned a bit and I said, that might be the difference in this game, don't be so disappointed! I also felt like the Pearland QB would be the difference in the game, assuming Pearland won. He doesn't get as much credit as he deserves outside of Pearland but that boy has what it takes. He feels the pressure even from the blindside, he's stepped out of harms way many times this year, very difficult to get to him for a sack!! He's smart with the ball and if I'm not mistaken, he's only thrown 3 int's all year with one late in the first half against Katy which was a desperation toss which turned out to be as good as a punt. He gets the ball to where his receivers and not the defenders can get to the ball. The throw to Kanipes at the end of the half and Sam at the end of the game were about spot on, Kanipes may have been overthrown a couple of inches but he still reeled it in.

Katy slowed up Garrison but that may have been their strategy, stop Garrison and you win. I thought the Pearland coaches were running Dustin just enough along with some short sideline passes to pull Katy's D in just enough to open it up for a big play. For what ever reason, the big play worked twice for scores. Sam, #86 has made big plays on offense many times, he's a sure handed long and lanky receiver that's hard to defend not to mention he'll get to the opposing QB before it's over with.

I believe we made Katy play from behind most of the game which may have been just enough to get them out of their comfort zone and their play calling. My take is that Katy played like a well coached and disciplined team other than their last posession. I really felt like the team that had the ball at the end with a couple of minutes to go would win the game, Pearland ran most of the time off the clock in their last possession and left Katy with what, 47 seconds which I thought was sufficient for Pearland to win the game unless Katy could come up with a spectacular play and if so, then they deserved to win. At that point it appeared to me that they panicked, I told my friend, we have this game, they're panicking and we'll get a pick, just a feeling I guess. From my perspective, like many others have mentioned, they just looked like a different team that last possession but then again I hadn't seen them play this year, maybe that's how they would run a hurry up when needing a late score.

What a game, I have to admit that a loss would be hard to swallow. We got beat a couple of years ago by Hightower and that was a snot knocker, hardest hitting high school game I've ever attended, that was a tough one to swallow. In that game we lost possession on the first drive, my thoughts similar to this years game with Katy, play from ahead and give yourself a chance against a very good team, it didn't happen otherwise I feel we would've won that game and the state championship that year.

Fact is, Katy and Pearland were separated by 1 play that could have gone either way, the great Tom Landry said, "If we play the opponent even the entire game and we get the last possession and a chance to win the game with a minute to go, we've done our job as a team and I'll take that every week."

Congrats to both teams/supporters and lets hope we have a replay that won't take 50 years to come about this time around, next year would be fine by me!!

The Rocket..........

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
VHS....is that a tv channel?

:yes:

jc84chill
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
This is my first post about the actual game since the loss. I haven't read anything either about the game. Just my own thoughts and discussions with 2000 and champ. I'll try to keep it as brief as I can...I could really go on for pages if I wanted to :)

It really sank in today that the Tigers aren't playing this week and I can only imagine how the players/coaches feel. It really gets worse the more I think about how the game played out.

From the Katy perspective, this was a game of uncharacteristic mistake after mistake combined with 6+ legit missed opportunities at crucial points of the game. Most notably, 1) the TD right before the half...im flat baffled as to what happened on this play from the alignment, personnel, and execution with that down & distance and time on the clock. It makes zero sense. 2) The TD pass at the end of the game...once again, see #1.

Trey Anderson was the difference in this one. Three more huge/very costly missed opportunities for Katy came down to Anderson making a great play. 1) Bad Punt snap that Anderson Houdini'ed out of the end zone. 2) Being just elusive enough to evade Narcisse and draw a facemask on 4th and long to retain possession and ultimately score 3) Anderson evading two/three guys in the backfield to pull up and hit Sam Ukwuachu for a deep TD pass.

The other stuff...penalties, special teams, etc...can't really say we didn't see that coming. It all finally caught up to the Tigers and that's full credit to Pearland. Pearland had the right answers every time they needed one. They made the plays that a champion makes, Katy did not. Once again, full credit to Pearland...that's big time on a stage like that.

Moving Forward:

I'm intrigued to see this Pearland team against either RR Stony Point or Trinity (sorry Stevens - great season). At this point, I believe that Stony Point wouldn't be the greatest of matchups. I think the Oilers can do some damage offensively against Trinity with the right gameplan. On the field, I love the attitude/confidence the Oilers play with and I'd like to think that they won't crumble come the State Championship. We'll have a great week of football discussion starting next Monday.

Katy...Offense is in great hands outside of building depth. Key pieces are back at QB, RB, OL, and WR. The defensive "front seven" is in good shape. Losing Sampa and Clifton is a big hit, but guys are in position to step up and be plenty good enough. Secondary, what is the nicest way to put this...a ton of work to do. Key pieces are gone, no experienced help in sight. There are a couple guys that I think have potential. I expect a very young and questionable secondary heading into the season. Luckily, there's plenty of time to get it figured out in 19-5A.

jc84chill
12-06-2010, 07:53 PM

You're referring to me comparing him to Jamaal Charles (last week?) in the way that he has a knack for finding a small crease and picking up good yardage. He doesn't need a huge hole right in front of him. I also mentioned that obviously, he doesn't/won't have the world class speed of Jamaal.

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
You're referring to me comparing him to Jamaal Charles (last week?) in the way that he has a knack for finding a small crease and picking up good yardage. He doesn't need a huge hole right in front of him. I also mentioned that obviously, he doesn't/won't have the world class speed of Jamaal.

Good. I didn't just think this up. I knew one of you admins had mentioned it. :D

I agree with your assessment. Taylor isn't a speed demon, but his acceleration once he finds the hole is spectacular.

RedRage00
12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Good. I didn't just think this up. I knew one of you admins had mentioned it. :D

I agree with your assessment. Taylor isn't a speed demon, but his acceleration once he finds the hole is spectacular.

...that's what she said.

HomeofChampions'06
12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
...that's what she said.

Thank you. :notworthy